Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ragingsheep posted:

I've got a G5 that's starting to go (actually the rubber on the mouse wheel has completely gone and is now actually causing physical irritation to my fingers!) and Logitech won't replace it under warranty because I don't have proof of purchase since it was a gift.

Looking at either the G500 or X8. Any comparisons between the two besides the X8 being wireless?

I went from a G5 to a G500 and found it to be a good blend between the 518 and the G5 with some nice added stuff (mostly free scrolling). I like having my extra thumb button back, and I like being able to bump the DPI from 3000 to 5700 for games where the mouse bogs down when you're using a mounted weapon (Battlefield).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

dissss posted:

I can't comment on the G400, but I went from a G5 to an MX518 to a G500 and like the G500 best.

The G400 is optical like the old MX518 which some gamers prefer, but I guess I just got used to the Laser in the G5.

Edit: my room mates computer is sitting next to mine and he has a G700. I don't like it as i think it has too many buttons but it is wireless.

Yeah this is the boat I'm in. I have no problem with the weird middle thumb button people complain about on the 500, and I really like the "use it on any surface" ability of the laser, and I hated the lack of the forward thumb button on the G5, which actually caused me to use the 518 for some stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

dissss posted:

I went from an original G5 (the one with only a single shoulder button) to a later G5 to a G500 and to be honest I don't find the feel of the G500 buttons any worse than the G5s (well the third shoulder button in the middle is but I just don't use it).

Actually my second (blue) G5 was probably the worst of the bunch for button feel (no idea why).

I would tend to agree with this, having gone from an MX518->G5->G500

God I missed the forward button on my G5 (did they add this back later?), that's mostly why I got a 500.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

AlphaDog posted:

Ah, gently caress that then. I'll stick with my G5 which is very comfortable. The only things I'd actually change about this mouse is improving the lovely paint and putting 2 buttons under the thumb not one.

That's pretty much why I got a G500

Dogen
May 5, 2002

sizerp posted:

Adjusting the DPI settings wasn't doing anything but I just reverted all profiles to defaults and now the DPI settings are fully adjustable and feel right again.

Hooray for common sense configuration.

Who the hell gets on someone else's machine and jacks with their mouse profiles? Christ.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SMLJ posted:

Yes, I'll admit they don't work fantastic with FPS's but I don't play the genre that often or go play in multiplayer servers.

For everything else it works great, and I save money on having to get those SOTA mousepads that take up large amount of real estate on my desk and very often they cost more than my trackball.

Pssh I use my desk and it's fine

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They ban people who return too much stuff, although usually it's people who return multiple hdtvs trying to get the 'perfect' panel.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That is loving brilliant, thank you. I haven't used my left and right scroll for poo poo.

I'll stick with my thumb buttons as my buttons 3 and 4 for FPSes, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

dissss posted:

I don't know whats up with your one, but I've had several G5 and a couple of G500s and they only difference you should feel is the side buttons, pointer motion and general build are the same.

Same here, I went from a G5 to a G500 and it seemed like the same thing with the extra features that I wanted.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

G9x?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Wireless is a lot better latency wise these days

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Corsair is starting to make cherry mx red based keyboards. I don't know enough keyboard voodoo to know if that's good or not, but seems like it might be another cheap mechanical option.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I happen to like it. I can't really explain why. I load my G500 up with the max. It just feels right.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Do you want a smaller laptop oriented mouse or a full size regular mouse?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

People in this thread have said it's pretty great.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I wish they would give up on the horizontal side scrolling thing with the wheel, I like the other aspects of the G500 wheel.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I did, since someone mentioned it in the thread. Still don't care for it, but I guess I am as crazy as people who don't like side buttons.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think they're coming out on Monday or Tuesday, I kind of want one of those keyboards.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Can't say I've heard it, and I think mine is a year or more old. What in a mouse could even make that noise?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Haha wow! I can hear it if I put the bottom of the mouse up to my ear, there is a lower pitched hum and a higher pitched "squeak" occasionally. Either they vary wildly in loudness or my ears just don't pick up that frequency well enough to hear from far away.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Never used a G9x, but all my logitech gear has been retired before breaking. Can't help with none of their mice grabbing you, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sweet Christ I just got a new mousepad and it's great (the gel in my lovely Belkin was crapping out). I got an Innovera gel wrist rest and pad, and the fabric feels much better, it doesn't smell like petroleum, and the laser on my g500 seems to track a bit better in some circumstances on the dark grey (I have heard that it has a problem with black fabric). Most importantly the gel is much better.

I tried using the surface of my galant (desk) and while an even better mousing surface, my hand has become accustomed to the gel rest after only a year and a half of use (compared to 20 years of mousing without one, lousy wrist).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Isn't the G9x bigger than the G500?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Huh! I always just sort of assumed since usually the higher the model in Logitech, the bigger they are.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Well 9 < 500 so you weren't entirely wrong :v:

Ha! Well, I chalk that up to the update being labeled G9x instead of G900, unlike the rest of the G series. I wonder if the G9 is going to get another update, seems like the top model mouse has been stagnant for a while. Although I am pretty happy with my G500.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah it's been pretty much all downhill for me since I got my first MX518, I had a G5 for a while and got mad at its thumb button configuration and got a G500. It's been a pretty long run with the same basic mouse.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I too am fond of the G5 G500.

There's a keyboard thread as well, if you want to see what's nice there's an alright list in the OP. If you want to drop some money on a mechanical, I am pretty happy with the K60.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 15, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

I think I've settled on the Logitech g500, seems like a nice shape and has some good features. It seems to have a few more features over the similarly priced Deathadder, any compelling reason to get that instead of the g500?

Not really, considering that logitech seems to hold up better and they are fantastic about sending you replacement bits even if the mouse is out of warranty.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Mr. Fish posted:

I am currently eyeing the Logitech G700 (Because my current mouse is breaking more by the second) but I need to hear from someone who owns one; are the four buttons on the side usable? I have been using a Razer Diamondback for years now and have gotten quite used to having talk and instant melee there.

It looks pretty similar to the G500, which has two easily accessible side buttons, another side button that is not as accessible, and the two top-side buttons that default to DPI switching.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Nothing newer than the G400 right now

Dogen
May 5, 2002

G9x maybe?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I don't pick mine up very much, but I like the sensitivity pretty high. I certainly wouldn't say no one should ever have to pick up their mouse, though. Different strokes and all.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

G500?

I messed around with the weights a bit before pitching the tray, not a fan.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Uh... I don't bend my thumb to use the three left side buttons on the G500. I just move it up from the thumb rest. No right side button though

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yep my G500 at home and my new one (like 6 weeks old) at work both do it. I can only hear it when I put my ear up to it, though. I think we had the discussion in this thread a while back, it was the first I'd heard of it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

MX518->G500 experience was pretty good for me. I found at the time I upgraded that the G500 tracked on my desk much better, though now I no longer have that desk and I use a mousepad so it's kind of a moot point. Mostly I like the versatility of the scroll wheel and also having the extra thumb button.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

When I first got my G500 I was all "ooh i like this" and loaded the tray up to max weight, but after a few months of that I realized how stupid it was and ditched it. I leave the tray in with no weights on my one at work because I'm afraid of losing it, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Stuntman posted:

How does the G500 compare to the MX518? Now that it's getting mad expensive on Amazon, I'm thinking of just getting the newer model for cheaper when this mouse shits the bed.

I went 518->G5->G500. I mourned the loss of buttons, but overall liked the sensor and feel of the G5 better. The G500 was sort of bringing back everything I missed from the 518 (extra thumb buttons mainly).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

nftyw posted:

Stick that thing alongside a clicky mechanical keyboard and you can tell when stuff is getting done because all you hear is CLICK CLICK WHRRRR CLICK CLICK.

6,000 RPM! drat. and only 2.7cfm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Full Circle posted:

Er, it is quite literally the loudness of a normal whisper...

Manufacturers often are not exactly truthful in their dba ratings, and a fan that size spinning that fast is probably very annoying.

I mean, ignoring all the other problems with the thing.