Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

First Performance Mouse impressions:

I dont like how my ringfinger is positioned. This will take getting used to.
So will the clickless scroll. It is plenty fast though.

Left and right scrolling is not easy with this scroll wheel. It doesn't stick out enough to tilt easily and the wheel is too sensitive to move left or right without first going up or down.

The button under the scroll wheel feels like its in the way. Doesn't do anything right now (I haven't installed Logitech software)

Neither does the zoom button under the back and forward buttons.

The thumb button takes a lot of pressure to press.

I got the Performance Mouse from Amazon for 60, back in Dec, its great.

But the button under the wheel is a mechanical switch for free scroll / click scroll. It should work fine without software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Yojimb0 posted:

I know I'm replying to something way at the beginning of the thread, but I have this mouse and I have to say I really regret purchasing it. It's true, it feels pretty good in your hand, and the fact that it has a rechargeable dock seems awesome...

... But, it seems like I have to recharge it way more often than I had to replace the batteries in my old mouse (an older model Logitech, I'm afraid I can't remember what.) But the really irritating thing is the scroll wheel: if you're doing anything that you need the middle mouse button for, that thing is just a pain. It's really hard to press, and every time you press it it switches the scroll wheel from click scroll to free scroll, so if you're using the middle mouse for anything, you're constantly switching the function of the scroll (also, free scroll is really cool and fun at first, but eventually you're just fighting against the momentum of it all the time.) Also, I can never seem to get the sensitivity right where I want it... I eventually switched back to my old mouse.

The current version, the Performance MX, is a lot better. It doesn't have a docking station, it has a micro-usb port for charging while in use. The battery is a replaceable single AA, it comes with a Sanyo Eneloop, lasts a long while and charges quickly.

They changed the free scroll to a mechanical switch below the wheel to have a regular middle button, which is a lot better than the having the switch in the wheel on my VX Nano notebook mouse. I love the free scroll for somethings, like web browsing, but its easy to change when I need the click wheel.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Yeah, mine goes about three days before I have to plug it in. My old Intellimouse lasted forever on one AA. I still prefer it, but it means I have to pack one more cord when traveling.

My Performance MX goes for a week or so. Long enough to be surprised when I get the low battery warning. I just use my cellphone's cord, one micro-usb at the desk charges like 3-4 things.

But yea, my VX Nano has been on the same pair of AAAs forever.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

thrawn86 posted:

^^

Couple of things about the Perforamnce MX:

-Battery: the included nimh is tiny, 800mah. grab a pack of 2500mah batteries for like 5 bucks and it will last a month.
-hyperscroll: I do wish it had *some* resistance to it, but for web browsing I just turned down the min scroll distance in opera and chrome, as well as setting it to "1 line" of scroll, and it works fine. for spreadsheets and coding its a godsend.

I have a hard time going back and forth to my anywhere mx that I use at work.

Mine came with a 2000mah Sanyo Eneloop. I think it lasts the longest out of my mx700 and mx1000, but I don't travel with it so a week or a month is no different.

Hyperscroll sucks with Setpoint 6.x, they took out ALL the wheel acceleration settings leaving is janky and weird. I wasn't happy till I rolled back to 4.80 and tweak the levels a bit.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Freewheel users should revert back to Setpoint 4.80. Logitech took out the Wheel Speed and Acceleration sliders in 6.x for the stupid old 1,3,5 line setting. After adjusting the sliders to my preference it makes the freewheel useful for reading the forums and anything else that doesn't need a single click (weapon select in a game is one of the only times I switch to single click).

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Goo posted:

Generally speaking phantom doubleclicks and unintentional releases are related to microswitch wear causing bouncing that the debounce algorithms aren't able to compensate for. In reassembling the button/switch system you've, at least temporarily, corrected whatever issue the switch was having with its interaction with the keyplate. You'll probably be fine for a while, but will ultimately notice the failure happening again because in using the mouse you'll cause the misalignment or whatever to reoccur.

Or maybe it was just like a piece of dust or something in the microswitch that got blown out when you took the thing apart.

All microswitches will wear out and exhibit this, but different people cause it to happen at different rates based on the way they hold the mouse, the position from which they click the buttons, the force they use to click it, the environment they live in, and on and on. This is why some people see multiple failures after only a few months and others can use the same mouse for years.

If it fails again contact Support again - they shouldn't ignore your request. Never tell them you took it apart, though.

This must be whats happening to my Performance MX now. Its 3 years old and just started getting the phantom doubleclicks. After I blew some compressed air into the mouse it wouldn't register every click, today it seems fine.