Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

What's the model number for the newest "It's just the mx500 again" logitech? I'm looking to finally replace my crippled Mx518.

E: Oh nvm looks like it's the G5/G500.

E2: What the christ $100? How is the thread title still relevant? I just want a mouse that doesn't look like it just came from the robot-rave :(

surc fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

GokieKS posted:

That's because the G5/G500/G500S are out of production. The G502 is the successor, and is wonderful.

surc posted:

I just want a mouse that doesn't look like it just came from the robot-rave :(

But that's good to know, I'll try and go check one out in store and see how it compares in comfort to the MX518. I might just end up getting a used MX518 :v:
(Or going the other direction and getting the MX Master now that my $40 mouse plans have been blown)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

I'm sorry guys, it's me. I'm the one who likes mice with unnecessary lights. I liked having a Space Mouse to make me feel better about my lovely laptop. I have a good computer now but I'm not about to switch back to a boring mouse.
e: I miss my Sidewinder

This but about mice: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07052007

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Does the MX Master ever go on sale? I've been keeping my eyes peeled, but haven't even been able to find history of a deal outside a used Amazon Warehouse one for like $70-80.

Edit: I'm retarded, I just noticed all the "This new mouse is the best!" articles are from March of this year. :doh: Guess I'll keep dragging my MX518 further towards its horrible demise for now.

surc fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 4, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I upgraded from the MX518 to G502. No regrets.

Yeah, I've been eyeing that (and you can get it for $20 off for part of a back to school thing --under 'play'-- http://www.bts2015.logitech.com/en-us/home if anybody's looking for it. There's also a contest to enter to win some free stuff but I don't know if it's physically possible to link that without sticking an affiliate thing onto it so just go check it out I guess) .

I'm thinking I might like to go wireless though, I've switched from a desktop to a laptop setup because I'm going to be on the road, so I imagine I might actually find it useful.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

So, is there a good store to visit to try out the feel of different mice? I'm lost on brick and mortar computer stuff since CompUSA bit the dust however long ago.

E: I guess maybe Fry's? But then I have to go to Fry's :/

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Oh. Duh. Best Buy :doh:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

This isn't exactly a mouse, but it's basically a mouse. Anybody have any suggestions for mouse-cable management?

I'm getting a G502 to replace my dying mx518 (:(), and figured I should get all my mouse-related ducks in a row while I'm at it. It looks like some of the 'mouse bungee' solutions have trouble with braided cords, so I'm not really sure what the smart move would be here.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Trisk posted:

I bought a mouse bungee but ended up not liking it. The simplest solution that I've found and still use is to simply pull enough mouse cord onto your desk where you have full range of motion at your desired sensitivity with no snagging and then tape the cord down. I use painters tape. It seems stupid and cheap and is not pretty but nothing I've tried is better.

This is exactly what I needed, thanks! I just cleaned most of the crap off my desk the other day (yay), and have a roll of painter's tape within arm's-reach without getting up, so this will be what I do.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, it turns out that 'sliding a bit of cable further through the velcro tie that comes with it' actually completely served my needs, since I'm running it from a laptop 3 inches to the left of my mouse. :shrug:

I'm really liking the G502 so far. I'm finding I wish they had the right side rounded a little more (my ring finger rests slightly awkwardly, which it did not do on the mx518), and I have an issue where the on-board profiles resets to profile 1 randomly for some reason. I assume it has to do with me gaming in fullscreen-windowed, and it picking up some notification from the desktop and swapping. It's not a big deal becasue of the 'profile switch' button located behind the mouse wheel, but it does highlight that I wish the lights were customizable.
It uses the same series of 3 lights on the mouse to indicate which profile it's on as it uses to indicate which DPI setting you're on within the profile. I use the second profile, lowest dpi setting for gaming, so it can be slightly confusing whether it's telling me I'm on 'second profile' or 'middle dpi level'. Not a huge thing, but if I could even just be like 'ok, one notification is brighter than the other', it would make things a lot easier for me.

In general, I'm not a huge fan of the on-the-fly DPI switch buttons, but since you can reprogram them, it's not that big a deal. With my giant hands, I did find the dpi-switching buttons on the top less convenient than every single reviewer, because I have to really bend my pointer finger a lot relative to the rest of my hand to use them. It feels very unnatural, but again I don't use them much except when making sure it's set up correctly at the start of a round in-game. I imagine if I were using the mouse to draw with in photoshop or something (:gonk:), it would be easier, as I'd have my finger a bit further back on the mouse button than I do for gaming.

E: I also am using like, the first mousepad I've owned since optical mice became a thing. Gonna treat this mouse right.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 22, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

How does that story not end with you using the kitten mousepad.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The g502 is fine, I bought one to switch to from an mx518. In terms of weight, I actually found it to be lighter than I wanted, so I added two of the 3.6g weights they provide. The only things that took a little getting used to were: The way my pinky/ring finger sat on the outside of the mouse had to adjust because the roll-off on the slope is different, and it took a day or two for me to stop hitting the DPI adjustment buttons when surprised in an FPS. :shrug:

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Talk me through why the 303 is better than the 502 please. I recently picked up a 502 and am happy with it, but at that price I have no real qualms about getting an upgrade so soon, assuming it would be an upgrade.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Det_no posted:

Speaking of the G502, anyone got any tips for cleaning the rubber grip on the right and left sides of the mouse? They have those tiny little designs and grooves, gunk is getting in there and neither q-tips nor wet wipes (without alcohol) seem to get the job done.

Q-tips and wet wipes are both super soft and likely to get caught/pulled/torn on any kind of rough texture. Have you tried a thicker paper towel, a cloth rag/washcloth, or a sponge?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a cheap mouse with 5+ buttons without a giant always on led where your palm goes?

More people like lights enough to have it make them buy a product than people dislike lights enough to let it stop them from buying a product with good functionality. Also, just tape over it or stop caring. Your palm covers it most of the time it's on anyway, because like you said, it's where your palm goes on the mouse. I routinely forget my G502 has the LED "G" because I look at my monitor, not my mouse, when using my computer, and my hand covers it anyway.

surc fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 31, 2016

surc
Aug 17, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

What do you guys use to keep your mice clean? I've been trying to remember to wash my hands before heavy PC usage, but of course I start to see spots from my fingers after a week.

I want to keep this one as clean as possible. Are alcohol wipes good or too harsh?

Too harsh, just use a microfiber cloth dampened with water (no soap) and it should be good. I clean both my Zowie EC1-A (Entirely black plastic) and my Logitech G703 (white plastic on the buttons and top, black rubber on the sides) this way and it always gets them looking pristine, and completely clears up finger spots. Just make sure you let it dry before you plug it back in and use it. (It shouldn't take that long to dry, you don't need to soak it or anything)

surc fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 26, 2018

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Apparently that bottom switch was a feature requested by "pro gamers," presumably because they're liable to unintentionally hit that switch in the middle of a match (except you can reassign its function in software.)...

Hey this is kind of late, but a lot of pros (at least in CS) either A) have mousewheel bound to jump, or B) have mousewheel up/mousewheel down bound to discrete important functionality.

As a dude with long fingers who plays FPS competitively, but not at a high level, I have occasionally tapped the dpi switch on my g703 when in a high-adrenaline situation, when I flick down on mousewheel quickly to try and get my finger back on m1 ASAP. It is insanely frustrating and I can only imagine the damage I would end up inflicting on my mouse ifit happened and I were say, playing in a large tournament and it cost my team a round/the match.
(For context, I have mousewheel up and down bound to switching to different grenades, since 1-6 on my kb are already each bound to a weapon/nade.)

I also try to avoid adjusting button functionality in the logitech software, and instead purely use in-game binds, because I have had occasional glitches with the software in the past, and it's also easier if I just have to load up my one .cfg file for the game to have all my settings when I switch to a new PC or anything. Less possible points of failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Atomizer posted:

I get what you're saying, but I still think that the software solution (unassigning the button if you're worried about accidentally hitting it) is a better route...
Fair enough, I

Atomizer posted:

... than moving the button itself to a position where it's all but worthless for everyone who wants to use that mouse, casually or competitively. I mean I understand it's supposed to be "for the pros" but has to be sold to consumers at large for practical reasons, so we end up with hardware gimped all because some "pr0 g4m3r" doesn't want to hit a button in the heat of battle, and is worried that the software will "glitch out" randomly because it happened that one time several years ago (and also, because "competitive gaming" is such a critically-important part of our society, it would collapse if someone hit the wrong button and lost a match. :rolleyes:)

What