Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

shaintan posted:

"oh i'm having fun, this 400dpi microsoft expolorer will work just fine for me, mr casual"
Out of all the mice you listed this "casual" one is by far the best :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
I've heard good things about the G9x but if anyone ever asks me for a mouse recommendation I'll instantly tell them to get a MS WMO/IE 3.0 or MX300/MX500. Those 4 are the Kalashnikovs of mice. They're old designs, but they absolutely never fail to work properly and they work just as well as any expensive "gaming" mouse.

Good luck finding the MX300/MX500 these days, though.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
If you use extremely low sensitivities you wouldn't want an MX518 as it doesn't properly track movements over 80"/s. The MX500 can support something like 150"/s if you increase the polling rate. Like 1% of people will ever move their mouse this fast, though.

Also 1600 dpi is completely unnecessary, but that's not really a downside.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Casao posted:

Yeah there's really an imperceptible amount of lag (or less) with every single wireless mouse I've used - maybe there are some under certain situations, or certain mice which just suck, but wireless mice don't all have some huge lag problem.

I don't think wireless mice have a big latency problem. It's probably 5-10ms or so. That's not ideal, but it's not the end of the world either.

I think between the added latency and the added weight of batteries you end up getting a lot of overshoot on quick movements, which leads to the perception of much higher latency.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Instant Stalker posted:

That mouse has some insane unusable dpi on it. I read the number on a gizmodo post and laughed out loud.

5600 dpi, I found. Assuming the captured pixel array is around 30x30 (typical), it captures roughly 1/27th the area of a pinhead every frame. I hope your mousepad has lots of fine details!

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Dominoes posted:

1: Do you have anything to back this up? Sounds like BS.

2: That's an odd recommendation, and reverse of what I like. I like mouse acceleration enhance pointer precision when using a cursor like in Windows and RTS games, but don't like it in first person games.

Windows mouse sensitivity uses integer math, for obvious reasons. Games with DirectInput/raw input don't suffer this problem.

Whether or not/wherever you like acceleration, nobody likes EPP. It's horrible. Threshold based acceleration just isn't useful.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Mouse acceleration is objectively bad and will make you worse at everything. Even if you were some kind of superhuman who always knew exactly when he broke each acceleration threshold and thus what distance to move the mouse on that particular move and had the muscle control to stop his mouse pixel-perfect while accelerated, it would still be a handicap because you lose precision while accelerated.

Threshold acceleration is almost always reviled, but mouse acceleration is so common it's almost ubiquitous in Quake 3/Quake Live. I'm sure in games that penalize you for turning (Counter-strike?) it would be a handicap, but mostly it's an incredibly useful tool.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Fatal Error posted:

No idea what m_yaw is.

All the id games (and those based on them) have m_pitch/m_yaw scaling factors that are applied. Source engine too.

Fatal Error posted:

I haven't heard of anyone using mouse accel at high level in any other game

This might also be due to the fact that Q3 (and later) have the only decent mouse acceleration support. Source's is decent but the cvars are kind of weird and aren't nearly as easy to set up. It also doesn't make much sense to use it in an RTS or something where you never need varying levels of precision.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

There are too many rookie mistakes in the design/build quality for it to be anything more than a Autobot on your desk.

I guess I don't know how the last year or so has been but mouse manufacturers, even MS/Logitech, have been making those same rookie mistakes since the beginning of time. Unfortunately mice are one product you can't buy and expect to not have fatal flaws.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Logitech cords fail quite often, and they're made plenty of mice with overflow/skipping problems. Also the various common wireless issues.

I don't think MS mice are made by Logitech. Logitech has always used Agilent/Avago sensors while MS have been one of the few that doesn't.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Cage posted:

Also: mouse pads. I havent used one since I got an optical mouse, but lately Ive been adjusting my mouse techniques (used to use super high sensitivity) and was wondering if it would be better to use one of those.

Mousepads are always the best option. They might suck aesthetically but it gives you a consistent amount of friction, a place to rest your hand, and a good surface for an optical sensor to read. If you ever play games, do CAD work, draw with a mouse, or put your hand within 3' of a mouse you goddamn well better have a mousepad or you're doing it wrong.

Also they prevent you from wearing out the surface of your desk or the bottom of your mouse, both of which are presumably more valuable than a mousepad.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
If you don't have any issues with the G3, you might want to replace it with an identical mouse. That shape isn't really being developed anymore. IMO the sensor advancements past the MX300 stage aren't very significant, at least for my medium-low sensitivity with acceleration scheme.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

do you really feel like it's possible for a polling rate that's twice the standard monitor refresh rate to be less than completely adequate for anything ever?

I have 150Hz+ refresh rate at various resolutions. While higher polling rates aren't really necessary given the limited accuracy of the human hand, they look and feel nice and can fix the overflow problems of the standard USB HID datapath being only 8 bits wide.

I haven't bothered changing it since a Windows upgrade, but it's not an empty improvement.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004
Microsoft WMO is the closest I've seen to an MX300 in Kalashnikovesque reliability and performance. It's kind of thick compared to an MX300, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

weapey posted:

Should at least come up with a decent ambidextrous mouse. Plenty of gamers prefer them to shaped mice.

They made the MX300 and I think they even still make some crappy budget mice with the same shape. Best ambidextrous mouse ever made, and when the last of the refurbs I bought back in 2005 fails I'll probably bury them next to my childhood pets. :smith: Why can't you guys bring it back?

Also don't they still sell the G1 in Korea?