Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Back to the DPI thing for a minute, I use an MS Habu set to 2000dpi on my laptop with 1366*768 resolution display and a SidewinderX8 with buttons preset for 1000-2000-4000dpi on my desktop with two monitors. One 1920*1080 the other 1280*1024. It took a while to get used to but now I find it much more comfortable trying to map 1/2" mouse movement = 1*screen width.

When playing FPS games using a sniper rifle or trying to draw anything in an art package I switch down to 1000dpi. A semi-auto pistol with iron sights is ok on 2000dpi and shotguns/machine guns get the full 4000dpi because it's much more important being able to turn 180 by twitching my thumb and third finger a tiny bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Has anyone tried the Asus Xtion upgraded "kinnect" IR/depth only sensor?
There's a local shop selling them and they claim it works perfectly for desktop use and rts/rpg games straight out of the box with a 80-350cm effective capture range. One guy in the shop said he was working on an FPS app for it that kinda works with TF2,L4D2 and other source engine games. Sadly he's having some difficulty getting every control mapped without making the player look like a retard being asked if he really wants to go to disneyland right NOW!

I can't find any reviews for actually using the thing, everything seems to be aimed at developers or pushing the online app store for it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Looking into it a bit more it's £144 including VAT compared to £118 for the Kinnect.
It has a higher res IR depth sensor than the Kinnect but lacks the microphone, full colour camera and so on.

On the plus side it works as a pointer replacement out of the box with palm clicking and gestures for media/folder controls with just the basic drivers at a shorter range than Kinnect. It also supports Microsoft's multi-mouse API for apps and Silverlight interactive displays.
Compare that with requiring three separate 3rd party installers to use the Kinnect as a pointing device with Win7. Not to mention all the version conflicts so you can't just go to the three different sites and grab the latest installers.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How does the Logitech G700 compare to the Steelseries Cataclysm? Or is there a permanently wired alternative that fits large hands, has 5000dpi minimum and no angle filtering with a fucktonne of buttons?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just checked the logitech forum and god is that a load of whining about the G700. Mostly problems with dirt getting into the switches causing false double clicks and the lack of LGS support. Still tempted because of the warranty though.

The Corsair M90 looks good but if it's roughly the same size as the Naga that's a no-go. Tried one in PC World last year and it was nearly small enough to hold in my closed fist.

I bought the Cataclysm last time because it felt comfortable except in FPS games where my third and fourth fingers end up cramping up. Hurray for chronic joint pain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
It's a common fault with lots of mice. If it's out of warranty try opening it up and cleaning the plastic contact that pushes against the microswitch when you click a button.

I had an old MS Habu mouse that developed the problem, had to clean it out every few weeks until someone suggested using a drop of plastic-safe mineral oil. It lubricates the contact and prevents particles from getting jammed in there.