Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I ponied up for a logitech G9 a while back and it's loving great. i didn't think i'd use the resolution switching, but it's handy in games. Also, the free scrolling wheel is worth the cash on its own. being able to whiz through huge webpages or spreadsheets with a quick flick is a major plus and i don't know if i can go back to a regular scroll wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i HAVE been eyeballing the logitech g500. it seems to have similar guts to the g9x, but a better form factor and the scroll wheel clutch and dpi buttons are in a MUCH better place.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
you jerks got my mouse lust going and i picked up the logitech g500 after work. not sure if i like it. i'm so used to the claw grip of the g9 that the g500 feels like it's so big it gets in the way. it's nice, but it'll take some getting used to.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i ended up taking the logitech g500 back. i liked the positioning of the buttons, in that they felt like they were raised to meet my fingers, but the length of the thing and the mammoth size compared to my beloved g9x was just too much for the way i like to guide the mouse with my fingertips. also didn't like the textured sides or the way it tracked. i didn't think the sensor positioning would matter much, but i was wrong.

it's a good mouse for palm grip people, but the g9's made my grip so particular.

good thing is, i didn't have to spend any more money on my computer upgradathon.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Joe Don Baker posted:

For you guys using the Logitech G9, what weight configuration do you use? I have a 4g and 7g in it. I have no idea if it really matters. However, today I changed it up and put all four 7g weights in it. I did notice I didn't play MW2 as well. It's probably all in my head, but who knows.

if you palm the mouse it probably won't be much of a difference after a few hours of play, but if you move the mouse with your fingertips, a heavier mouse will kill your game. i have 2 7's in the rear end end, and 2 4's in front. the tail end drags, but i tend to use a high resolution so i use my fingertips for fine movements.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i would love to try some of the cool mice in this thread, but i can't get over NOT having the free-scroll that the new logitech mice have. i wish every mouse had this option.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
a vendor we're working with bought one of those logitech nano's for me and my boss. can't wait to replace the lovely dell 2 button mouse at work. having back buttons and the free scroll wheel at work is going to be incredible.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
what is that thing? i must know!

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I LOVE my g9x. especially after i tried replacing with several mice. none felt as good, even with my beef of how the buttons sit so low on the front. even with the gimmicky shell swapping. even though it's got that gamer-chic styling. i don't blame anyone for not liking the form factor, though. it's not one of those mice you can let your hand sit and ride it like a wheel chair. for me, though, it's loving great. interestingly enough, i started using a logitech laptop mouse at work because the stock dell mice were too big!

For Loop fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 18, 2009

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i picked up a Logitech anywhere MX mouse yesterday and so far it's great. the desktop sized performance mx is a bit big for my tastes, but the size here is perfect. i with the right side curved in a bit (it's built to be symetrical), but it's not uncomfortable at all. expensive little bitch, though.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
has no one posted this yet? c'mon, mouse nerds... keep up.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-hands-on-true-customizable-mouse-madness/

apparently, the physical form of the mouse is adjustable. i like the idea, but the design... wat?

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Logitech is releasing their new wireless gaming mouse, the G700.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/05/logitech-g700-mouse-and-g930-headset-review/

Looks like the Performance MXform factor with a few extra buttons. I may be getting a new mouse. I am, however, surprised that they didn't just make a wireless G500.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

GreatGreen posted:

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518. Just make it, Logitech. If you're going to make a new mouse, make it in the body style and with the materials and textures of the MX518. Not the G5, and especially not the G500. Just give us a better 518. Everybody loves that mouse. It's everybody's favorite, and everybody knows it. Just make it and make it better. Give it a laser, lots of sensitivity settings, a better wheel, and maybe a couple more side buttons if you want. Hell, just give it the extra buttons that your new, fancy wireless mouse has. Those three alternate-left-click buttons look really cool, and so do the 4 side buttons. Hell, put those things on the 518. That's all everybody wants. Stop loving around and trying to change poo poo just to change it. We don't want NEW and INNOVATIVE for NEW and INNOVATIVE's sake. We want a better 518.

Sorry for the :spergin: but goddamn.

I loved my MX518 mouse too, but when I went back to it, it wasn't very comfortable to use after my G9x. Even that isn't totally comfortable and pushed me into a fingertip style of holding it. I'm totally into the look of this mouse. looks WAY more comfortable (if a bit tall) and looks like it has the G9 material on it.

edit: ugh... preordered. I couldn't help myself...

For Loop fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 5, 2010

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

kri kri posted:

This happens to me too - does the g500 have the same hard plastic or is it sandpapery?

sandpapery.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Goo posted:

The G700 has dry grip paint on it as well, though it has a different feel from the dry grip on the G500. To use your sandpaper analogy, if the G500 is 150 grit , the G700 is more like 200. Not suggesting that you'll like it more, but it is a bit different.

This is some good and bad news for me. I thought the g500 finish was too rough, so I hope I like the G700 better. Speaking of differences between the two, what is the size of the G700 in comparison? Looks a little shorter.

EDIT: looks like it's around 5x3x2inches, which is slightly shorter in length but not much, than the g500.

For Loop fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 7, 2010

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

vty posted:

Logitech is like Apple for me-- every new product they put out, no matter how much I DON'T need a new mouse; I want to buy their new one.

I'm that way with their mice. I'm not always happy with the end-results, but I go out of my way to try them because all of their high-end mice have interesting features or implementation of features.

Can't wait until they ship my G700. Anyone know if they have a real release date yet?

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Goo posted:

They're in-stock on NewEgg already.

Cool. I hope they ship mine out soon then!

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I got my G700 today. It's taking some getting used to, coming from the G9, but I do like it. It's a pretty chunky mouse, but its still comfortable to finger/claw grip it. I love the click that the wheel has. It feels a little more sturdy when it's in line by line click mode. The free spin is as free as ever. I'm going to have to figure out what to do with all of the buttons when I get it home.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

isnoop posted:

Next time I need a mouse, I'll probably go for the G700. I just gotta have all those buttons, laser, long life battery, and wireless connectivity.

Don't get the G700 if you need long battery life. That is not its strong suit. In fact it's pretty loving annoying. It'd be my favorite mouse of all time were it not for the crap rear end battery life.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
I hate hate hate the battery life on my g700, so I picked up a g500. but I realized after bringing it home that the g700 is WAY more comfortable on the right side. my ring and pinky fingers are having a hard time finding a place on it.

I wish logitech had included a better cord on the g700 and there's be no issues, but that cord they included is a cheap piece of inflexible garbage. I want to like the g500 a lot, but can't seem to find my piece with it yet.

I'd like to try the nao 500 but that's a lot to spend right now. Also, the hyper scrolling on the logitech mice is pretty essential for me. I've considered grabbing a different brand of mouse for games and picking up the logitech m500 for my basic stuff. Always a compromise...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
Honestly, toggle resiliency aside, I don't ever want a mouse WITHOUT a scroll wheel. I even brought my G9x into work so I didn't have to suffer a lovely scroll wheel on the stock dell mice. I do work with databases and use excel heavily, so I use the poo poo out of the free-scroll. I am probably one of the people the wheel was designed for, but god drat, I don't get how people don't find this supremely awesome.