Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

malefactor posted:

I use a MX518

I don't like wireless because of batteries / price / :tinfoil:input lag:tinfoil:.

I'm firmly in the MX518 camp, yeah, I noticed the whine from the mouse previously, but I honestly never notice it unless my ear is by the mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sixide posted:

I've heard good things about the G9x but if anyone ever asks me for a mouse recommendation I'll instantly tell them to get a MS WMO/IE 3.0 or MX300/MX500. Those 4 are the Kalashnikovs of mice. They're old designs, but they absolutely never fail to work properly and they work just as well as any expensive "gaming" mouse.

Good luck finding the MX300/MX500 these days, though.

The MX518 is essentially the same mouse, and I think the finish is nicer (despite the stupid apperance) because it doesn't get rough like the old 300/500 surface does. If you liked the 500, there's literally no reason you wouldn't like the 518

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

spasticColon posted:

Did I miss out by never owning or even using a MX518? As far as gaming mice go, I had a MX1000 for about a year then I got a G5 which I've now had for over 5 years and yesterday I ordered a G500 just before the sale ended on newegg. I love my G5 but its wearing out so I hope the G500 is just as good.

I wouldn't say you were missing out if you already have a mouse you enjoy using.

It's simply that the 518 has been a mouse that has been in production for 5 years; and in a market of "gamer" products that change all the drat time, that's pretty unusual - so a lot of people have experience of it, often favourable.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 1, 2010

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

weapey posted:

I also used to use inverted y-axis, but trained myself to use normal (that one was even more hosed up).

Why would you want to switch to normal? Inverted Y-axis forever!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The original G5 didn't though, which is probably what he remembers. I already have an MX518, but when I saw the MX518 on offer in a store for cheaper than anywhere I could find it online, I got myself a spare! I noticed on the newer revision, it has nice, large feet that don't look like they'll fall off, which is a nice tweak.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 9, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

What? Ah christ! I should have known there was a reason MX518s were being sold off. MX518 with even better tracking (is that possible?) and a clean looking matte finish on the top? Sounds like perfect, small refinements, and I'm sure it'll be a highly successful mouse. I know I'll buy one when my replacement MX518 breaks, although that will probably be after the sun fades out going by my current one..

I'm glad a fancy wheel wasn't added, or any tilt features. I still remember having an MX1000 and getting frustrated at the fact I would click the mouse wheel to one side instead of straight down.. Also, moving your middle finger left and right is such a ridiculously cumbersome movement

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

headcase posted:

OK fair enough. It fails after 3 years. Still sad to see it go when the rest of the mouse is fine though :P

If you have one of the older ones, I don't know if you noticed, but the new ones don't have the tiny little feet, but instead, a huge gently caress off one top and bottom..

Maybe that'll make a huge difference to how well it stays on?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

^^

I guess you missed the guy from Logitech telling us about this, previous page

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

As far as I know, no reason why they're not a solid choice. They've been mentioned a few times before with regards to the Arc, and of course solid dependable mice like the Intellimouse Explorer.

Looking around their site reveals the cutest mouse: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/express-mouse/T2J-00001 :3:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 27, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rabid Snake posted:

I was on the lookout for a new mouse when my MX518 died. I bought it in 2007 but I ended up giving them a call seeing if I can get a discount on other logitech products. They ended up sending me a G500 as a warranty replacement even though I was passed the warranty.

That's just ridiculous. I'm almost hoping my 518 dies. Uhh.. the feet came off and the coating wore away a while ago.. How about it, Logitech? :D

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

I'd need a bluetooth card in my PC, right?

Even though I don't have a specific need for bluetooth right now, I bought a cheap USB dongle (these things are insanely tiny now) and a USB header to USB port lead.. you'll probably have a few of these free on your board, so you may as well use them! The cost was tiny, and the result is tidy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

couldcareless posted:

Well, it's barely been 1 year and my Imperator is dying. Making the switch to Logitech when I get enough money for a G500 and not looking back.

I'm really not impressed by the build quality of Razer stuff. Anecdotally, of course, but still..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

But now it has lights! :science:

Even more pointlessly; an LCD screen on the underside.

Reminds me of the episode of Pimp My Ride where they put LCD screens underneath the car, and in the mudflaps.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Slider posted:

My mx518 scroll wheel broke and I'm getting a free g400 as a replacement from logtitech. Are they similar? I am attached to my mx518 cause I've used it for a couple years and I don't want a lovely replacement.

There's a guy who works for Logitech on SA. We got the scoop on the 518 replacement pretty soon. It's almost exactly the same. You'll be happy if you were happy with the 518. (I am, I have a MX518, and a brand new MX518 still in the box for when this one stops working).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Sounds like someone's never bound sidescroll to change tabs!

Crtl-pgup and Ctrl-pgdn, (or Ctrl-tab like Credo said)

vvvv Looks like we had this conversation in September.

I use mouse gestures to change tabs. Hold right mouse button, drag right/left.
I'm not sure moving my finger side to side sounds much easier.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MeruFM posted:

For many, wireless is not for convenience or utility because wired mice are not really any more cumbersome, sometimes less so with battery weight and recharging.

It just makes things look neater on the desk.

They should ship it with an inductive charging mat, then!
All the benefits, none of the drawbacks..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I think there was a company called PowerMat that was making them, but you have to buy a custom back for your phone to charge it on the mat. The Palm Pre included inductive charging coils in the back, and could be used with an inductive dock.

If you have an electric toothbrush with a charging base, it probably charges inductively, otherwise you'd have exposed connectors likely to get coated in water.

Some older electric cars used MagneCharge, which is, you guessed it, an inductive charging system, which meant there were of course no exposed connectors, and it could be used safely in the rain.

My HP TouchPad has a dock which has absolutely no connectors, charges inductively. The wireless works perfectly while it's charging, for what it's worth.

Why this isn't more common I have no idea. It means I use my TouchPad a lot, lot more than if I had to plug and unplug it all the time. I realise it isn't as efficient as charging with actual conductive connectors, but for something low power like a smartphone or a tablet, it clearly works perfectly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 2, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I was always happy with the humble MX518 for playing WoW. Just bind the buttons on the top to a keystroke, and you're away.

Sure, it doesn't have keyboard-competing number of buttons, but it worked fine for me, using Shift as a modifier to double them. Of course, you could also use Ctrl, and triple them up.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

There is no reason to do so, once you're past a certain quality of mouse; unless you specifically lust after one. Enjoy your G400.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Flea110 posted:

The G500 looks like exactly what I want, but some folks on Newegg were saying it emits a faint high pitched noise, which I'm positive would drive me nuts. Has that been fixed?

My MX518 does the same thing. It doesn't bother me though, because I can only hear it if my ear is about <6 inches from the mouse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I've not tried to do that, but generic IS back/forward in Windows. You could delete all drivers and it would still go back/forward.

What you want is a totally non-standard mouse button behaviour, which is fine, of course. Just bind the thing to an obscure key combination and make that the PTT in Mumble..

I'm using SetPoint still and a 518, but that's how I'd imagine you'd need to do it..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

If you find yourself having to pick up your mouse, your sensitivity is too low.

Eh, that's just not true. I knock my mouse on the floor more times than I can count, because I use it on an armrest of an armchair, with a solid pad on top of that. Picking the mouse up and re-centering it is a common task.

Although I admit this is not a recommended mousing scenario (although it is comfy).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

a mx510 that lasted 15 years

Impressive time travel; I think the MX510 came out in 2004

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I bought a new MX 518 in November 2010 for $25. My old one is at the office and gets daily use, but the new one only gets use at home if I'm playing SC2. With D3 coming out, I've got the itch again to buy a new mouse, and of course I'd get the G400. The question is, is there really any reason to spend the $35? Isn't the G400 basically the MS 518 with a 4th, higher DPI option?

And to show you just how old school I am, I'm still rocking a Ratpadz GS from 2002. :chord:

I have a Ratpadz before there were any options or names, before it was called the "XT", before the GS was invented as a thinner, cheaper alternative. The logo has almost entirely gone, and it is curved as hell because I use it on an armchair.

Absolutely fantastic mousing surfaces, I'd recommend them always. Only problem is, they don't wear out, ever, so I don't see how they can make money from old customers.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 14, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Xbox style controllers are of course a dime a dozen for windows.

Always have to recommend the Xbox 360 controller. Every modern game has a built in profile to work with it without any configuration. It transforms PC gaming, in my opinion. It's so necessary that I'm surprised that gaming PCs don't flat out ship with it as a matter of course.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Personally I prefer Playstation style layout. A gamepad is by no means necessary to PC gaming.

Isn't the only real difference that the left stick and dpad are swapped? it's more that the 360 controller has an API - xinput, just for it, for zero configuration in a lot of new games.

Might not be necessary, but I can't imagine I'd have had much fun with Assassin's Creed on keyboard and mouse. Movement is so different and of course analogue on a stick, that it lends itself to use cases keyboard and mouse do not. For example: racing games with no analogue control? Not great.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

amitlu posted:

z-axis problems

Really, the mouse detects distance from the surface it's on?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Another Logitech anecdote: Just had someone come in with a jittery wireless Logitech mouse. Tried it on another PC, swapped the battery, and so on, to no avail. It had been working fine for almost a year.

Got him to email Logitech, they're sending another one without needing the old one. This is for a lower end product, too. (This is in the UK if it makes a difference).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

I just purchased one to replace my G5 (along with a $50 razer ironclad mousepad), and it is the most comfortable, smoothest mousing experience I've ever had.

I kinda prefer my mousing to involve the least resistance possible, and teflon on top of anodized aluminum = sex

Spray WD40 on your mousepad.. well, if you have a solid one, obviously not a cloth one.
Not recommended, but if you do, hah, I've never had a slicker mousing feel... for a short time.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Odd, I've had an MX518 for a very long time, and the part where the cable comes out from the mouse is fine. I even constantly knock it on the floor. Maybe Logitech could do with putting a strain relief boot there?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Gasmask posted:

Hah poo poo, you just solved my major complaint! Between this and using the left/right scroll for switching tabs (seriously awesome btw) I may stick with this mouse.

I use the 3-finger method (pointer on left, middle on wheel, ring on right) so I don't have any issue with moving too much. I tried using 2 fingers last night but it was immensely uncomfortable and I can't see how y'all can do that.

I always have 3 fingers on the top of the mouse too. But my fingers tend to rest on the outer edges of the left and right mouse buttons. To be honest, I can't see how you get full control of the mouse without 3 on top. Especially when I played WoW, I needed access to all buttons immediately.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

BGrifter posted:

No manufacturer makes mice that are going to last 3-5 years of heavy use without breaking, it's just where the industry is at. It's like bemoaning inexpensive particle board furniture from Walmart doesn't last ten years. Nobody wants to spend $250 on a mouse that will last a decade when they could spend ~$50 on a reasonable one from Logitech and get a free replacement when they run it into the ground.

Unfortunately you're raging against a shift in how goods are produced in general. I'm no economics major (but if one wants to chime in that'd be great) but with the rise of businesses like Walmart the production of cheap "disposable" goods has largely overtaken more expensive sturdier alternatives.

I've used my mx518 for many years..
I'm sure everyone has a server somewhere with a 2 button Dell mouse with a ball that still works..

Maybe some are hard on their mice? Maybe just unlucky..
That's when good customer support makes the difference.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Isn't the support supposed to be good? Email Logitech pretty much what you just posted and see if they send you anything.

Other than that, that mouse looks to be the same shape as the MX series has been for ages, so I guess the G400 (replacement for MX518) is going to be basically the same, and has the extra buttons on top in a similar place.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I always have my middle finger on scroll wheel, ring finger on right mouse button, just how it is.

Then again, in certain games for example, I would hold the right mouse button to change where I'm turned, and I'd use scroll wheel movements/clicks and the buttons above and below the scroll wheel for actions at the same time.

Can't have the luxury of the ring finger flopping off the side of the mouse, and ultimately I'm totally used to using 3 fingers always.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

West007 posted:

I prefer to buy a bit more expensive mice, not 100€ but around 50-60€.

I've had 2 Razer copperhead mice for combined ~6 years, I broke the first one and I had the scroll wheel stop working on the other one.

Now I have a Razer Imperator 2012 since July 2012. I've had nothing but problems with this mouse. It is really comfortable to use and I love the precision but the technical side is just horrendous.
Firstly, after 2 months it just stopped working, the computer didn't recognize it, tried other computers as well. It fixed itself after a week and gets recognized just fine now.
Secondly, the scroll wheel feels loose, when I scroll down it scrolls up a bit and then down normally (and vice versa), even scrolls to the opposite direction a bit while I'm scrolling.
And now it has the double clicking problem which infuriates me to no end. Oh, and I have to plug it out at night because the light is on even after the PC shuts down.

I do have the receipt and it still has warranty. Should I just take it back and get it fixed/exchanged? I'm afraid they will just spout the usual "mechanical damage, your fault" crap and I will have just wasted my time.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend has an Imperator, she loved the shape and size and so on, but now it is just unreliable garbage, with the buttons not working properly. She had poor experience with Razer, having a Lycosa keyboard which had the awful capacitive touch section which always caused random things to occur. It was replaced, but only by the retailer, and took ages. Then it had exactly the same problem. I opened the loving thing and tore the connector off the board for it.

She bought a Roccat Kone Pure, which is a very similar size and layout, just in case you were looking at similar sized mice. Says it's excellent.

Edit:
Bonus AnandTech link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6802/capsule-review-roccats-kone-xtd-and-kone-pure-gaming-mice
Extra bonus picture she took of both mice to compare the size/layout. She prefers to grip with pinky and thumb, not by using the palm.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 15, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

chippy posted:

Like an infinite improbability drive? :D

If only it was that fascinating!

In reality, it sometimes required unplugging and replugging, changed volume, opened up media player, etc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I would check out the Roccat mice, too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The paint part isn't as offensive as a JPEG saved in paint full of text.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I need something that handles hair and crap getting in there really well is the main thing.

Are you mousing on a dog? This is a problem looking for a non-tech solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I've had an original Ratpadz for so long, I couldn't say when it was bought. Probably 2002 or something. It's bent due to many, many years of being used on an armrest (livin' like poo poo), where a cloth one would be hopeless to me.

Still, once I get a place with an actual desk, who knows what I'll get. Probably another Ratpadz simply because it's served me well for so goddamn long.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 19, 2013