Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/exclusive-mad-catz-cyborg-rat-9-review/

It can't possibly be any sexier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Just bought an MX anywhere mouse. 64$ after tax and a coke at frys.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/devices/6536

I would have gotten the performance MX but its gigantic and ugly. If this is any less sensitive though, I can't tell. I'd swear this thing has less lag than my old WIRED mx310. perfect for smaller hands and "finertip" users, and still has a traditional shape.

not having a "real" middle mouse click is kinda strange though. using the appswitcher button works for that, though.

Also, whoever said setpoint sucks hasn't used it for several years (including me). Its worth installing simply because of the expose-like app switcher functionality. I have just set my task bar to autohide for the first time ever, and its perfect.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

mine doesn't have a middle button, at least according to the software. there do seem to be two "levels" of middle click though.

I assume mines the same way, but its impossible to hit the first without scrolling all over the drat place.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Tronno posted:

It makes it impossible to click the middle button without wobbling the wheel left and right.

some old programs that don't have proper pan/scroll controls and really REALLY huge spreadsheets would change your mind about that as well as the freewheeling.

I use a few programs at work like that and I'm now I'm contemplating buying another MX series just to keep there.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weapey posted:

I have a broken MX310 I'd try and turn in if Logitech made any ambidextrous mice suitable for gaming nowadays.

I busted out my mx310 the other day, can't believe it still works perfectly.

the anywhere MX is ambidextrous but you lose the side buttons, but then again I haven't actually used side buttons for gaming in years. middle mouse for nades and clicky scroll is good enough for me.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weapey posted:

I got used to using mouse5 under my thumb for push-to-talk, so it's sort of a requirement now. Currently rocking a LH Deathadder, which is fine except for a sensitive wheel, and sometimes mouse4 jams (which is reload for me).

what game? I used to be pretty compulsive about rebinding EVERYTHING but ever since about the last mw game the default layouts have all been perfect.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weapey posted:

I play CS:S (in leagues etc, so I use voice comms), and been playing for so long with thumb buttons I 'need' them now. It limits my options on what mice to buy, as there's some great ambidextrous Razer mice I would otherwise pick up.

I always figured for actual "pro" play you'd just use a well-tuned auto setting instead of push to talk. what do pro mouse controls look like? (serious question). I'm a "fingertip" mouser so the world of gamers who require 2 feet of travel to do a 360 is alien to me.

the day I weaned myself off of using every goddamn button on my mx310 for everything imaginable was a great day.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

It's a fantastic mouse, isn't it? As great as it is, I would probably kill for an MX518 with the G5's matte finish though. The slick finish of the 518 never suited me, I always found it sticky, but I always wished the G5 had the two thumb buttons instead of just one.

Actually, I wonder if that part of the mouse could be swapped.

maybe something like this would work?

http://lifehacker.com/5709251/give-your-iphone-a-matte-brushed-finish-with-sandpaper

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

That...looks like a sensible and awesome mouse with no "rice" attached. I can't deal with cords anymore though, so the MX line will have to do for me.

I feel...dirty for ever wanting a R.A.T.9.

logitech, please forgive me :(

also, you might as well just start offering your high end mice in packs of 3. They still hand these out at work and it makes me die a little inside. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105080&cm_re=microsoft_mouse-_-26-105-080-_-Product

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 10, 2011

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

quote!=edit

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

someone help me. I now own 3 logitech MX mice and I need another.

portable (anywhere mx) ? check
desktop (performance mx)? check
office (mx310)? check

now I'm wanting a second performance mx for the office.

I'm also thinking of moving my "plays best on alienware!" branded funcpad to the office just for the entertainment of the wtf looks from everyone asking me "why do you still use a mousepad!?"

nftyw: please clean your poo poo. I just threw up a little.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Why? Do you pilot two computers at once?

You are a horrible monster.

it gets annoying having to pack it all up. and it was a gift :( great pad either way.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

any reason why the performance mx app switcher and sidescroll wouldn't work under XP, but the anywhere mx would?

nftyw posted:

I'll offer you my MX300 for a cool forty bucks. :v: I'll even throw in a free mousepad! Pretty much nearly impossible to find this model anywhere anymore, too. No, not really.

edit: Well, I tried cleaning what I could, but I've had this mouse and pad for what must be over six years at least. It's pretty much beyond what a simple cleaning can help at this point. :v: You'll just have to take solace that your mousing surface and device look a million times better than mine.

theres no excuse to not own a performance mousepad these days, they're like 15 bucks.

if the performance goes on sale again at newegg I'll just pull the trigger. I've spent the last 6 years I've owned the mx310 raging against large "ergonomic" mice, but the performance mx has pretty much changed my entire computing experience.

the middle click kinda sucks though (I use the app switcher button on the mx anywhere as middle click) and I use that alot, so its hard to get used to.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Anyone having problems with their freescroll wheel? setpoint won't let me save the "1 line" setting, and "3 lines" is waaaay too fast.

The only way around it is by using application-specific scroll settings like chrome's smoothscroll. Unfortunately I don't care for chrome.

central posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the g500 is ugly? What's with the bruised chrome look? Although I guess it will keep from showing fingerprints or cheeto dust.

it is kinda funny looking.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Any Logitech with Darkfield... err there's only two? Should be able to handle that. There are probably some other manufacturers who do the same.

eagerly awaiting the next 'performance' logitech thats not a 'gaming' mouse.

today I forgot my mx at home, and had to use a spare from the box of mice in IT. today was a bad day.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I haven't read any of the last 200 pages of this thread since I last posted, but I picked up a g9x on sale for 45 bucks and it's literally the best computing purchase I've made since getting a 120hz monitor.

I really want one of those but for wireless I'm considering a g700.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

^^

Couple of things about the Perforamnce MX:

-Battery: the included nimh is tiny, 800mah. grab a pack of 2500mah batteries for like 5 bucks and it will last a month.
-hyperscroll: I do wish it had *some* resistance to it, but for web browsing I just turned down the min scroll distance in opera and chrome, as well as setting it to "1 line" of scroll, and it works fine. for spreadsheets and coding its a godsend.

I have a hard time going back and forth to my anywhere mx that I use at work.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

Mine came with a 2000mah Sanyo Eneloop. I think it lasts the longest out of my mx700 and mx1000, but I don't travel with it so a week or a month is no different.

Hyperscroll sucks with Setpoint 6.x, they took out ALL the wheel acceleration settings leaving is janky and weird. I wasn't happy till I rolled back to 4.80 and tweak the levels a bit.

somehow I got a runt then :smith:

I'm not sure I'd want any acceleration, its just too drat fast. definitely not really usable out of the box, buts its perfect now and I use the latest setpoint.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

coinstarpatrick posted:

That is the thing I've never seen replicated in Windows, for some reason notchy scrolling is our cross to bear.

If you turn down the "line" size in your browser, you can get very close, but yeah.

I have mine set to about 15px and its very very smooth, but mac trackpads are still night and day.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

KS posted:

Chiming in to say that I got an Anywhere Mouse MX a few weeks ago and this is my only complaint. Great mouse, tracks on anything; completely unusable middle click because it scrolls a line or two as you press the button. So frustrating that something this basic is broken on an otherwise great product.

rebind your secondary middle button (normally is logitech's expose-clone window switcher button) to middle mouse, problem solved.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

dumb setpoint question:

I reinstalled windows with an ssd and reinstalled the same version of setpoint, now mouse6 (the shoulder button) on my performance mx refuses to function as "middle click", including closing thumnbail previews and chrome/opera tabs.

I will literally go insane if I cannot use middle click. clicking a button set to middle click just minimizes my current window.

I've tried both setpoint 6.32 and 4.8 with uberoptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

My one year old Performance MX is suffering from left-click issues, i.e. it thinks I've double clicked even when I click hold.
Googling the issue it seems like a common thing. Anyone have a good fix or should I just contact Logitech?

NihilCredo posted:

Contact Logitech.

My roommate just called logitech about this exact same problem, though with an older revo (non mx)

Logitech: "I can do nothin for ya, son"

tl,dr: if your revo is broke, you have to buy a new (old) one, even though its arguably a better mouse than the newer MX.