Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
What weight oil did you use?
I think the ticking in mine is least when I use 10w-30, usually ticking for a little bit on a stone cold engine, then stays ticking for a mile or so after about 3k miles.

Some people's cars tick less with thinner or thicker oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

bandman posted:

My god all that snow looks loving miserable.

Anyway, the DOHC B-series Mazda engines all seem to have some lifter tick. My old Protege would tick for a bit on cold starts with fresh oil, but it would tick all the time after about 3,000 miles on the oil, so it was kind of like a built-in oil life monitor :v:.

We got more of it a couple of days after that photo was taken :gonk:

The last work order from the PO indicated an oil change 2 years ago with Castrol GTX. The oil looked pretty dark but the interval wasn't exceeded mileage wise.

Bajaha posted:

Spring is close, spring is close, another week or two of sub zero temps and then bye bye snow!

The Michelin low profile Jack I picked up is pretty nice, it reaches far and is low enough to clear any bumpers or suspension parts, 2.5 ton capacity and it goes on sale for $150 semi regularly at Canadian Tire, parts source has it on sale sometimes too.

Hopefully the rain isn't going to turn everything into a giant skating rink. 10 day forecast still has sub zero temperatures...

That jack is probably going to be my next purchase, I did pick up the Michelin jackstands that were on sale. Hellooo 21" of height.

mafoose posted:

What weight oil did you use?
I think the ticking in mine is least when I use 10w-30, usually ticking for a little bit on a stone cold engine, then stays ticking for a mile or so after about 3k miles.

Some people's cars tick less with thinner or thicker oil.

5w30 Mobil 1, which in hindsight is a little thin. I should've gone with Rotella 5w40 synthetic and cleaned it out first.

The ticking is only audible inside too, I'll have to investigate more.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Signed up for a HPDE this weekend and ordered a poo poo tonne of Mini parts. My credit card is all :suicide:

I'm on vacation starting Saturday so I have a little over a week to get this thing on the road

:derp:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yay! Will be cool to see the little beast back on the road

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Aaaaand it's not together yet. My laptop has stopped booting so have a filtered teaser.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
http://youtu.be/LxDXIU0WuQY

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ignition timing way off?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I didn't see a single item branded POWERFIST anywhere in that video. Clearly, that's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Huzzah!

http://youtu.be/Wy2QFB-sjcs

When I tried to start it the electronic ignition crapped out, so I switched back to points. Then I wasn't getting 12V to the coil, ran a test wire and had spark but still nothing. I checked ignition timing, checked the ignition, dialled the carb back to initial settings, swapped coils, etc. but it kept flooding badly. Like I had to change the oil twice because of gas in the crankcase bad.

Finally stumbled upon a post about SU carbs and how the float will go nuts if the fuel vent is blocked. I look over and realized the vent hose was connected to the factory vent pipe. Blew into the pipe, clogged. Ripped that poo poo off and here we are!

Accelerator doesn't do anything as I suspect there are some major air leaks and it seems to be running hot but it runs. Now to put the front suspension back together.

ExecuDork posted:

I didn't see a single item branded POWERFIST anywhere in that video. Clearly, that's your problem.

We should have a competition and see who here has the biggest POWERFIST collection.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 17, 2014

• Locked thread