Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sponge! posted:

That wiring harness looks quite sturdy to me. Or does the insulation get brittle and flake off. The modern "well we're running X gauge wire which is good for exactly 3.5 amps and we're putting 3450ma through it constantly." approach scares me. Yours seems to be properly over-engineered.

The insulation is of poor quality and will degrade, mostly due to the heat of the engine. A hot climate may exacerbate the problem, as a cool environment may do the opposite. The 88+ models were improved and didn't have this problem. By the time I really started to know more about cars I had an '89 wagon, so I never really tried to solve the problem myself.

edit: I bet there is more info in that long Volvo thread. I haven't had one in a few years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wow, that blower motor is so easy to remove. I got one for an Audi 5000CS - after three hours of trying to wrench - by cracking the plastic fan shroud of a junkyard machine with a dead blow hammer and pulling it out.

Of course, installation in the target car is the reverse of removal. :effort:

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I wish my 90 volvo wagon was a turbo, but its quite reliable although a bit ugly after a deer hit. Nice solid cars and the turbos are easy to make quick (for a wagon)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Wait does AI seriously have 3 700/900 series M46 Turbo Wagons now?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Karl Barks posted:

Faster, even, then the much-touted 16 valve Saab turbo.

Don't believe it.

The Saab is the same slow shitbox anytime thats not 40-70mph, then it beats an equally ancient 911 Turbo.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Surprised there are even 3 left, not so surprised that AI owns them.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

Karl Barks posted:

Faster, even, then the much-touted 16 valve Saab turbo.

Don't believe it.
Funny, I had the same thought. Considering the engine is closer to the B234 SAAB engine in terms of displacement, I'd say a B234 turbo in the Aero trim would smoke the living poo poo out of a 740 Turbo. :supaburn:

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
What kind of magic do you have that enables you to acquire a turbo Vovlo for that cheap in Winnipeg? I can't even find a beater Jeep for that amount of money.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Francis Baconator posted:

Funny, I had the same thought. Considering the engine is closer to the B234 SAAB engine in terms of displacement, I'd say a B234 turbo in the Aero trim would smoke the living poo poo out of a 740 Turbo. :supaburn:
Yeah, but I think that's a mid-eighties advert, and the 0-60 for a 740 Turbo then was 8.4s, compared to 8.6s for a 16v Saab.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Love the "Yes it will fly!" advert! No one ever really talks about it, but landing is nothing more than a well controlled crash.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

InitialDave posted:

the 0-60 for a 740 Turbo then was 8.4s,

6.7 according to the ad? They were surprisingly quick cars. Just over 3000 lb with 187 ft-lb of torque, and a very flat curve.

My first "adult car" was an '86 760 turbo, I loved that thing. Only paid $4200 for it, but I felt like a millionaire driving it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

LloydDobler posted:

6.7 according to the ad? They were surprisingly quick cars. Just over 3000 lb with 187 ft-lb of torque, and a very flat curve.
The ad says "legal speed", so it may not mean 60.

It's like how a lot of the old British car ads quote a 0-50 time to seem a bit faster.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Fart Car '97 posted:

Who's the third dude with a M46 745T?

Speus posted:

What kind of magic do you have that enables you to acquire a turbo Vovlo for that cheap in Winnipeg? I can't even find a beater Jeep for that amount of money.

I just randomly searched "Volvo" on Kijiji one day, that's about the extent of my magic. There was this really clean G-body on there a while ago.

LloydDobler posted:

My first "adult car" was an '86 760 turbo, I loved that thing. Only paid $4200 for it, but I felt like a millionaire driving it.

8.4 seconds, I'm sure there's some fine print on the ad that says *to 50mph.

The early 740s used a GM blower motor so getting a price quote was a fun experience:

1986 Volvo 740 Heater Motor: $65.95
1981 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Heater Motor: $35.95

As you can see it's the same bloody part so where that extra thirty bucks go is a mystery. I also cleaned off a couple decades worth of cigarette smoke residue (icky) off the squirrel cage.

This is probably the most boring parts pile picture I've ever taken. Fluids, wipers, bulbs...*yawn*

Only the best for my $500 car. 3 year old Mobil 1 and a NAPA Gold filter.

As mentioned previously the M46 transmission has an electronic overdrive that uses clutch packs a la auto tranny. Good thing those gear oil caps screw right on.

We're getting some unseasonably warm weather for the next while; it's supposed to be 10 C this weekend versus -6 C normally. I'm going to need all the warm weather I can get because there's going to be more welding than first anticipated :ohdear:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Hooray! Bulk has another project thread! These are great. :munch:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

:argh: It's patina!

Definately stealing that.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
So who wants to guess how much rust I found?

Hint: The answer isn't "very little."

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

So who wants to guess how much rust I found?

Hint: The answer isn't "very little."

Being that you were mucking about in the engine bay I'm wondering if it's the crossmember/engine mount.

Edit: PATINA

Crispulus
Dec 13, 2007

Aren't you supposed to yell at me and call me "HOPE" and motivate me over this wall?

Fart Car '97 posted:

Can slushbox 900 series turbo wagons play too? I might have a second to add to that list possibly wed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

For $500, it ain't bad. I'd drive it until it snapped in half, though down here you'd probably have to give it away or part it out.

But seriously... I've never seen that much rust patina on a car that wasn't 30+ years old down here.

On the other hand... paint fades/peels like a motherfucker down here, you need the a/c to work from March until December, and snow doesn't really exist this far south (not for more than a day or two anyway). If your car doesn't have hail damage after it's 3-5 years old, just wait, it will eventually. Dashes warp and crack like crazy down here, and we flip out if it gets below 0C and think the world is ending (37C+ days are normal during July and August).

My car is a 2001 jap car... dash hasn't cracked yet, but it feels brittle and will probably crack in a few years. Upholstery is faded like a motherfucker, my clearcoat started peeling 2 years ago, and the red warning lights on the dash are more of a pink color now. Gotta love the Texas sun. For an 01, my car is in pretty average shape with below average miles (112k miles).

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

I am not a bean posted:

On the other hand... paint fades/peels like a motherfucker down here, you need the a/c to work from March until December, and snow doesn't really exist this far south (not for more than a day or two anyway). If your car doesn't have hail damage after it's 3-5 years old, just wait, it will eventually. Dashes warp and crack like crazy down here, and we flip out if it gets below 0C and think the world is ending (37C+ days are normal during July and August).

I understand that owning a car in a hot, dry climate isn't all gumdrops and that there are a whole set of other problems to deal with. The thing is when you're dealing with rust you have to be relentless and get absolutely every single trace of it out because it'll rear its ugly head again if you don't. It's a shitload of cutting, grinding, painting and sealing. And most of the time you can't just weld in sections off of a cleaner car because there aren't any. Honestly I don't think there'll be any more rustbelt cars for me from this point on.

Anyways, I'll stop crying now and post pictures.

Powder your face with sunshine

Put on a great big smile

Make up your eyes with laughter

Folks will be laughing with you in a little while

Whistle a tune of gladness

Blue never was in style

The future's brighter when hearts are lighter

So smile smile smile

Powder your face with sunshine

Put on a great big smile

Make up your eyes with laughter

Folks will be laughing with you in a little while

Whistle a tune of gladness

Blue never was in style

The future's brighter when hearts are lighter

Future's brighter

Hearts are lighter

When you're wearing a great

Big smile!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I actually gasped out loud when I saw that floorpan, or lack thereof. loving hell. :gonk:

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Paging Sockington to this thread for these pics. Now.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually gasped out loud when I saw that floorpan, or lack thereof. loving hell. :gonk:

This. I'd expect that sort of rust on a car twice this one's age, not on a 20-year-old Volvo. :gonk:

Oh wait, I owned such a car. :suicide:

Excellent work on the rust, BV.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
gently caress that was fast work.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Stupid question: are Volvos of this era galvanized? I know Porsche started doing it in the 70s. A quick look around tells me "it depends".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

AnnoyBot posted:

Stupid question: are Volvos of this era galvanized? I know Porsche started doing it in the 70s. A quick look around tells me "it depends".
In Europe, Ziebarting was a factory option, and having seen cars that were done, a very effective one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice, fast work. I wonder why spiders like to occupy cars - it seems like Subarus and Volkswagens are pretty common for it, but I'd never heard of Volvos before.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

At least this Volvo only contains a wolf spider and harmless orb weaver and not black widows like psyclobe's car.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hypnolobster posted:

At least this Volvo only contains a wolf spider and harmless orb weaver and not black widows like psyclobe's car.

I think all cars have some kind of patron animal. For instance, I see more cats asleep under RX-8s than any other vehicle.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

orange lime posted:

I think all cars have some kind of patron animal. For instance, I see more cats asleep under RX-8s than any other vehicle.

Well, an RX-8 is the safest thing to be under. I mean, with all the clutch, engine and tranny problems those cars have, it's not like they ever move. :downsrim:

Seriously though, OP, brilliant rust repair. I have to do some of that over this winter. My 1984 SJ410 has a solid frame, but the area surrounding the battery tray has essentially disappeared.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That was an amazing transformation, I wish I knew how to do that poo poo to my Volvo.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

orange lime posted:

Deer loved the sexy lines of my Mazda so much that they couldn't stop trying to smash themselves into it. Mice also seemed to find the wiring in the engine bay tasty. loving Mazda curse.

The Subaru patron animal is a large breed dog.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

I was once too scared to change my oil because my flashlight revealed a nest of quite large black widows all getting a free ride from the bugs that were creeping up into my car. In fact, when my MAF sensor went out, the shop told me they've never seen so many spiders in my car. :cry:

That's a great welding job though. Great job!

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Thanks y'all! It was a sloppy job for, well, obvious reasons. Boring maintenance stuff should be done with this weekend.

Bought a set of 14" Coronas with pratically brand new snow tires. Helloooooo rallycross!

Giant gently caress off fuel filter.

I have no idea what these are hooked up to. Looks like ATF but the P/S junk is on the drivers side :iiam:

Plans for this weekend (10 degress C, whaaaaat) include:

- Reinstalling the interior
- Bleeding the brakes/bizarro front calipers
- Changing the wheels/wiper blades/fuel filter
- Misc cleaning and Seafoam

Depending on how things go I'll be ordering a boost gauge and piecing together an MBC :dance:

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Giant gently caress off fuel filter.

I have no idea what these are hooked up to. Looks like ATF but the P/S junk is on the drivers side :iiam:

We had the same reaction to the fuel filter when we changed mine. It looks like it came off a tank.

Those other things look like washer fluid filters
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-200/Exterior/Wipers-&-Washers/Washer-Fluid-Filter/p-69-259-463-3337/

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

BIG HORNY COW posted:

We had the same reaction to the fuel filter when we changed mine. It looks like it came off a tank.

Those other things look like washer fluid filters
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-200/Exterior/Wipers-&-Washers/Washer-Fluid-Filter/p-69-259-463-3337/

They might be but they're still on the wrong side, the wiper fluid tank is behind the driver's side lowbeam, and those are on the passenger's side wheelwell under the coolant reservoir. Mine's got the mount points for whatever those are, but nothing on 'em. Watching this thread even closer for the answer.

e: hmm, looking at the OP I guess for the turbo they flipped the front stuff in the engine bay (as opposed to my non-turbo)? The airbox and the battery are on the wrong sides; I'm probably stupidly wrong and those are indeed the linked filters. Although there's sort of an obvious question here, wiper fluid filters uh what why?

I want more photos.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 21, 2009

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Your rust repair is inspirational!

Now go fix the other side! ;)

Cuchulainn
May 19, 2007
It's like hide and seek, only with guns.
I bought a rust-free, good running (needs a new battery) '95 850 wagon today for $750. It's a back-up/alternative to my '96 850 sedan.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The interior's decent, all the power options work (except driver's mirror), the glove-box door is broken and the rear hatch is sticking.

PS: Great welding, Bulk.

Cuchulainn fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 22, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Drivers side has been patched. It's pretty solid plus there's a shitload of lines running underneath = I'm leaving it be.

Those filters are for the windshield washer fluid and I'm just as confused as you are.

The turbo has some side to side shaft play. Nothing major and no axial play so it should be fine for a while. It's a Garrett setup so the Mistubishi upgrades will be a bit trickier.

This wonderful lump you're looking at right now is the lower airbox. The inlet to the left draws in fresh air through a hole in the inner fender while the inlet on the right draws in air from the engine bay.

The thermostat in the middle controls a flapper that lets in hot air from the engine bay during cold starts and slowly blocks it off when things get up to temp. Unfortunately the thermostat has a habit of breaking and killing the AMM with superheated air all the goddamn time.

This is bad so it's time to do some modding.

The inner piece on the cold air inlet looks restrictive so it's outta heeeere.

Hot air inlet gets capped off with plumbing hardware.

Thermostat gets yanked, flapper is RTVed in place and the silencer bit gets tossed into the spares box. The hot air inlet was all meltie so I really hope my AMM isn't borked.

This is why you stick to the maintenance schedule. This fucker's probably factory and soaked my arm in gasoline.

Not cool man.

I think I'm going to paint the Coronas white for pseudo-OZ-Superturismo-rally cred. May adorn the :sweden: flag onto the car somewhere as well.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
That is some impressive work.

I have seen cars that sat in a field with open windows for 20 years and not get that much rust. Goddamn.

Also, not to be a buzz kill (which I seem to do in every m46 thread) but the m46 should not be pushed pass 230~ hp. Between my injectors, turbo upgrade, custom cam, intercooler, boost controller, etc. I guess I was making around 250~270.
For about 3 months. Then the transmission gave itself to god. Finding a replacement is not trivial since they tend to get hoarded.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Hot air inlet gets capped off with plumbing hardware.

:raise:

Looks like an aerosol can cap to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Tai-Pan posted:

That is some impressive work.

I have seen cars that sat in a field with open windows for 20 years and not get that much rust. Goddamn.

Also, not to be a buzz kill (which I seem to do in every m46 thread) but the m46 should not be pushed pass 230~ hp. Between my injectors, turbo upgrade, custom cam, intercooler, boost controller, etc. I guess I was making around 250~270.
For about 3 months. Then the transmission gave itself to god. Finding a replacement is not trivial since they tend to get hoarded.

Thanks! And I think you warned me about the tranny before, I'll take things nice and easy for now.

Sponge! posted:

Looks like an aerosol can cap to me...

Totally isn't, I spend 79 cents and everything man.

Got some of the minor items out of the way. The car only has mudflaps on the drivers side for some reason so I rectified that.

Took of the front mudflap, stared at this for a while.

A quick pass with the flap wheel, along with some primer and paint, yielded this. Radical! :toot:

Front flaps were carefully marked, trimmed and screwed on.

Dumb single mudflap...

...Replaced with a pair of matching ones.

As you may recall one of the Bosch driving lights was smashed to hell and a new set costs $100. Yeah, not happening. So I dug these bad boys out of the basement.

Stone guards looked dumb so off they went. The masking tape was wholly unnecessary.

Selective yellow lights are better in inclement weather because of the way our eyes see different colours. That and the fact that white light isn't helpful at all when it's bouncing off a shitload of white snow. The Duplicolor Metalcast was recommended by the fabulous Daniel Stern himself and worked really well.

Ta da! Now to mount and wire them up.

• Locked thread