Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnitzel
Jan 16, 2006
Mr. Pibb + Redvines = Crazy Delicious
So I was riding to school today and was thinking about the different ways to go about having a helmet cam recording your ride, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience from trackdays or roadtrips etc. on the different setups

I've searched around a bit on google and found $500+ setups, something that isnt really feasible for my ramen chomping college rear end budget, however I do already have a DV camera and was wondering if anyone knows of a good DIY setup either from a cheap external lens addon thing, or maybe a mount for the DV itself? I don't really know, but I would just like to hear your experiences with POV cams and I guess also post any relevant videos, ya?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Shnitzel posted:

or maybe a mount for the DV itself?

This one right here, $32, screws into the 1/4" hole on your camera.

Attaches to the handlebars though, not the helmet. Personally I think this is a good thing as street ridden helmet mounted cameras tend to be annoying to watch.

One big problem is wind noise, on your DV you might have more aftermarket solutions with foam covers and lens protection. Here's a recording of my Casio point-and-shoot in video mode sitting on a RAM mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK3iKX-HRdg

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Ola posted:

This one right here, $32, screws into the 1/4" hole on your camera.

Attaches to the handlebars though, not the helmet. Personally I think this is a good thing as street ridden helmet mounted cameras tend to be annoying to watch.

One big problem is wind noise, on your DV you might have more aftermarket solutions with foam covers and lens protection. Here's a recording of my Casio point-and-shoot in video mode sitting on a RAM mount.

A quick word of warning:

These mounts will dramatically shorten the life of your camera. The vibrations they carry to the poor device are as good as shaking a baby. If you just have a little pos point and shoot that you don't care about, by all means use it. However, I wouldn't put a camera that I wanted to last any length of time on one.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
There is this thread on the go pro camera
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201223

There was also a big discussion for a couple weeks in the gear thread I believe that prompted the one above. It was in the last month or two so go back through it. It had a bunch of postings of more POV type cameras.

Biggest thing is to remember if you are putting it on a helmet is to not solid mount the thing, one slid down the pavement and you have a good chance of it snapping your neck when it lodges into a crack.

I love watching even a decent bike mounted camera especially if the person has taken the time to work on the wind issue as mentioned above and get the worst of the shakes out of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ohwandernearer posted:

A quick word of warning:

These mounts will dramatically shorten the life of your camera. The vibrations they carry to the poor device are as good as shaking a baby. If you just have a little pos point and shoot that you don't care about, by all means use it. However, I wouldn't put a camera that I wanted to last any length of time on one.

Good point well made. Although if you could isolate it a bit from the base of the mount with a sheet of rubber or something it wouldn't be exposed to much more vibrations than it is when you're just carrying it in a bag.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A good one a few members use is the vholdr countourHD. The new one coming out will also support 1080p/30 and 720p/60 video, and costs something like $350 i believe. I bought a regular countourHD a while ago and have gotten good video from it. Just don't remove the laser warning sticker from the bottom, and it'll block wind noise pretty well, too.

VholdR website
CountourHD Video from Pacific Raceways

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
I bought one of these:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11461
and used a rubber band to attach it to my crash bar. Youtube has low-balled me on bitrate here, but I can tell you its better quality than the Oregon Scientific, if you dont mind the 15fps framerate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f2eO8QGkL4

So yeah cheap option ahoy. Mine was actually the 8GB version and was AUD$23 inc shipping from ebay. I can reccomend this if you are unsure whether your riding skillz warrent filming (apologies for the rather pedestrian ride above, it was just a test).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Found a guy on advrider, who is also on motovlog.com. He's got what I consider to be a killer setup for getting your *actual* POV.

This mounting...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MGiPM6sa1s
begets this result...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jR4Ggb-yw

Not bad for a tick over $150.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I've seen that guy's setup before. Pretty drat sweet for $150. Looks like it's less intrusive than the traditional v570 that vloggers are fond of and it shoots in HD to boot.

Also, wow, that pen camera is actually pretty decent quality. The low fps is kind of distracting but that's pretty tough to beat for the price.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Heh, I may just stick my PC's webcam in my helmet like that, and tuck my netbook in my tank bag :D I'll let you guys know how it turns out if it is ever not both 37 degrees AND raining.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

UserNotFound posted:

Heh, I may just stick my PC's webcam in my helmet like that, and tuck my netbook in my tank bag :D I'll let you guys know how it turns out if it is ever not both 37 degrees AND raining.
Webcam in the helmet, you on the couch, tank bag on the coffee table. GO!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jabs posted:

Webcam in the helmet, you on the couch playing Moto GP'08, tank bag on the coffee table. GO!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Jabs posted:

Webcam in the helmet, you on the couch, tank bag on the coffee table. GO!

Don't worry, it will be done in about an hour :D I just don't see the point of posting any results without real world lighting and movement.

I could watch some FIM racing i have recorded, I don't have any motorcycle racing games. Are there are worth getting? I'm real into car simulators, and can't imagine a motorcycle game would be any fun on a steering wheel, keyboard or ps3 controller.

e: I am a goon, and proud of it!!!

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 16, 2009

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Well, I have to agree, the positioning is perfect, but my logitech quickcam fusion pretty much sucks. Can't close the visor, resolution is only 920x720 or something, and the frame rate is sorely lacking. If there was a good webcam, I would totally do it tethered to a laptop on my bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbzh1-j7u-w

(Isle of Man senior TT on the TV)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

UserNotFound posted:

Well, I have to agree, the positioning is perfect, but my logitech quickcam fusion pretty much sucks. Can't close the visor, resolution is only 920x720 or something, and the frame rate is sorely lacking. If there was a good webcam, I would totally do it tethered to a laptop on my bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbzh1-j7u-w

(Isle of Man senior TT on the TV)
Very cool for a quick hack job. You're my Action Jackson hero of the mid-afternoon.

The guy I referenced originally used his Point And Shoot camera to record video - and he had it mounted on the outside of the helmet, on the chin-bar, so he could close the visor. Might check out his videos and see how he did that one...

Not that I think the framerate on your existing Logitech is worth putting a ton of effort into...

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Jabs posted:

Very cool for a quick hack job. You're my Action Jackson hero of the mid-afternoon.

The guy I referenced originally used his Point And Shoot camera to record video - and he had it mounted on the outside of the helmet, on the chin-bar, so he could close the visor. Might check out his videos and see how he did that one...

Not that I think the framerate on your existing Logitech is worth putting a ton of effort into...

I dunno, I watched the video you posted, his camera is inside the helmet on the chin bar, and he specifically states he closes the visor and it's weather proof. I put mine in the same place, and there's no way it'd fit with my particular helmet with the visor closed. I highly doubt ANY camera worth a drat would.

I've got a miniDV camera with a WIDE angle lens that I might try mounting to my helmet with my gorilla pod and some painters tape for some further fun

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
Click his username - he's got a number of relevant videos posted, and he's gone through a few different iterations of gear and mounts. The current one cam and mount is the best one, I think.

Doesn't mean the others aren't cool in their own (wacky) right.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
Ok what do you think guys - too much wheel in shot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LFT1sK6oR0

At least I got it vertical this time.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Are you leaving the mic open to the air? Try taping a piece of foam over it.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Zool posted:

Are you leaving the mic open to the air? Try taping a piece of foam over it.
Also while you're at it with the foam, try assembling some sort of vibration damping for the camera. Chassis vibration is probably being transmitted into the camera body and being picked up by its mic.

Shibaku
Sep 19, 2009
Don't forget to check with your insurance company too. Some providers won't cover you if you have a timer running, so make sure you won't get dicked because you have a camera on.

Jaz
Dec 24, 2005

Part of the internet...
The mic is the same hole the pocket clip attaches to. I can't block it up.

Sorry nothing I can do about the vibration. The shudder probably me yanking the throttle open and the top end making a moan.

I just bought another $20 spy cam off ebay, this time its a box shape so I can tape the mic hole. And is described as 30fps, but I'm not holding out.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Lithium Motorsports has the new GoProHD on sale for $240 with free shipping. I just ordered one, now I need to figure out how to mount the fucker. They're listed at $300 on their website but if you call in they will give you the better price. Sounds like they are going to get some more in next week.

http://www.lithiummotorsports.net/productdetail.htm?browse=-22725&productId=-165043&shopBy=-4411&catalogId=-814

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
ContourHD is for sale for $169 Shipped.
use coupon code contourh and takes $80 off

The new one that records 1080p is coming out soon, which is probably why it's so cheap, but still...good deal on a helmet cam setup.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

The new one that records 1080p is coming out soon, which is probably why it's so cheap, but still...good deal on a helmet cam setup.

Thanks for making my wallet 170 bucks lighter.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I really want to spring for that, but I've never seen a recording with it that had good audio. Actually, pretty much all amateur vids have terrible audio but ones with GoPro seem better over all than Vholdr. I guess a field recorder is the only way to make sure. :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Ola posted:

I really want to spring for that, but I've never seen a recording with it that had good audio. Actually, pretty much all amateur vids have terrible audio but ones with GoPro seem better over all than Vholdr. I guess a field recorder is the only way to make sure. :(

I don't know if it's just a shitload of postprocessing or what but the audio quality on the new GoProHD seems much improved over the standard one. They say they really focused on keeping the wind noise down... we'll see. Mine apparently hasn't shipped yet and I won't be able to test it out for awhile but I will definitely report on it when I get it up and running.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

GoPros seem to have the mic port on the back and inside the plastic casing. So you get very little wind noise but also very muffled sound due to the mic being enclosed in the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3SF2myOufk

The guy says he has to mic setting on Low, perhaps it would be much better on high. Needknees I bet GoPro has dialed in a better gain curve due to user feedback, it will be cool to check out your tests.

I still think I can get by with simple youtube vids using just my regular point and shoot camera.

Here's a silly vid from before summer:

At low speeds (middle to end) the audio has way more detail than the GoPro, but of course the tiniest wisp of a breeze blankets it in white noise. There's also an annoying ticking sound which is vibrations from my headlight picked up by the mic. If I could eliminate most vibes and get some decent cover for the mic port it will probably do just fine for silly youtubes. I need to convince myself of this as lately I've been spending like a drunk sailor in charge of a Dubai wedding. :ohdear:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Groan... that's the final straw... sorry checking account.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

You can get decent audio with the video, it just takes a little tuning...mainly using gaffers tape to insulate the mic from the wind. Once I start having something worth recording again, I'll see how good I can make it sound.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Ola posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q9gKT3d90

That might get you some better audio quality. I think a lot of the problems are due to the poor microphones included, since mic isn't that important for a helmet cam anyway.

edit: oops, I thought that was a different mod. The one I like is the one that just adds a 3.5mm jack for a microphone.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 8, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I remembered posting that video somewhere earlier, but not actually in this very thread. :o

I'd be interested in checking out yours too Z3n, I think I will wait until next year before buying more stuff. (It looks like Santa might have a DSLR for me this christmas, which is nice)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

oxbrain posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q9gKT3d90

That might get you some better audio quality. I think a lot of the problems are due to the poor microphones included, since mic isn't that important for a helmet cam anyway.

edit: oops, I thought that was a different mod. The one I like is the one that just adds a 3.5mm jack for a microphone.

That's excellent, soldering on a 3.5mm would involve the same hassle with the tiny insides. He seems to be using it to chat over his video, but if I could place a headset mix with foam cap right in front of the speedo (rider side, sheltered from wind) I'd probably get perfect sound.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Also, for those of us that are now poor because we bought a camera:

http://www.instructables.com/id/5-Motorcycle-Camera-Mount/

DIY instructions for a handlebar mount.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.youtube.com/user/shockofgod#p/u/768/AyApZ-1lHd8

I like this guys setup. Hes fun to listen too and occasionally gives good riding tips. And its nice to see how his head moves.

I don't know how he does it but this is the camera he uses. http://www.youtube.com/user/shockofgod#p/u/805/MpI_FlgPVos

You can see the strips of velcro he uses here: http://www.youtube.com/user/shockofgod#p/u/767/MG2oUDFQadU

I don't know how he sees around that with the camera in though.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mercator posted:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. :(

I'll reship for you if you're interested in it. I've done it before, not a big deal.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The ContourHD is awesome, except for the sound quality... lots of wind noise. Will have to get clever to battle that.

Having a camera on your person or your bike while riding is a terrible idea I've decided. I thought to myself... well it would just be fun to have a camera, even just record the everyday boring stuff, on the plus side if someone does something stupid and causes an accident you have video evidence... or who knows.

Now I'm thinking, riding around on a super moto with a camera is a bad idea because it's tempting enough to do stupid poo poo on a sumo without a camera... but so much more inviting when you know you could film it. This is why there are so many crash videos on youtube, cameras bring out the urge to do stupid poo poo.

Luckily it's too cold to go buck wild or even ride any duration. Come track season I can't wait to spend hours rewatching my lovely laps and critiquing myself. Just gotta wait out winter. loving winter.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
My GoProHD came today :woop:

I don't know if I can really do anything exciting with it for the time being, considering there's still a shitload of snow outside :(. Maybe attach one of the pads to my helmet and run around inside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

needknees posted:

My GoProHD came today :woop:

I don't know if I can really do anything exciting with it for the time being, considering there's still a shitload of snow outside :(. Maybe attach one of the pads to my helmet and run around inside?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJn_UE3kTrM

• Locked thread