Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just ordered a Ghost Drift S for $220 on ebay. I vaguely remember there being some talk of how only certain brands of micro SD cards work well with the camera, can anyone confirm? Also, I know Drift has their own external mic, is that one worth buying or is there a preferable one? Looking to mount the mic inside the helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I saw recently a two-channel dashcam for motorcycles which will also run in a motion-sensing mode powered by internal battery for a period of time after the bike is turned off, so maybe google that if you want something made for the job.

Perhaps this one? http://www.innovv.com/#!the-k1/c3r6

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Yeah, that's the one.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Aug 3, 2016

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

Just ordered a Ghost Drift S for $220 on ebay. I vaguely remember there being some talk of how only certain brands of micro SD cards work well with the camera, can anyone confirm? Also, I know Drift has their own external mic, is that one worth buying or is there a preferable one? Looking to mount the mic inside the helmet.

Not so much brands (except avoid Samsung, but that's general advice) but make sure it's Class 10 or preferably UHC class 3 (the latter is a fair bit more expensive but really not that pricey in the grand scheme of things - £25 for a 64GB card). Make sure you format it with the SD Consortium formatter rather than just in Windows, and leave it ten seconds between turning the camera on and starting recording.

It's all a bit cargo-culty, the latter two probably aren't as important as most owners seem to think they are. Certainly since I got the UHC card I've not had a single problem.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think I might have bought a Samsung card @_@

I'll use that formatter at least and let you guys know how it goes. There's an eBay seller who has ghost s for $220 USD, if anyone else is interested.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I use nothing but Samsung cards and I've had zero issues with them expect 1 out of 10+. It went corrupt and that stuff happens sometimes.

I also use Windows formatter and format in the GoPro. I have the entry level GoPro and you can have it turn on and start recording when you press the record button (then again to stop and turn back off.) Generally I have no issues...but sometimes the GoPro gets stuck on and won't turn off. Whenever it shuts off or I force it off whatever it was recording at the time doesn't get saved. I blame that on the GoPro (it didn't happen in my Hero 3 Black) though and it honestly doesn't happen often.

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 3, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

It was Sandisk, not Samsung. So far so good, got it mounted and went for an evening test right. Not bad night quality with the stock settings, havent gotten into changing anything yet in the menus.

I was going to post my first demo run but the horizon is basically diagonal as I didnt get the lens rotated right.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I have a Sena 10c and used a Sandisk card til recently and it was awful. Had to power cycle the camera multiple times to get it to write every time I turned the unit on and had issues updating the firmware. Replaced with a Samsung card as Sena support suggested and zero issues. Probably has to do with which vendor your camera supplier validates with, especially when we talk about compact cameras like the Prism, 10c, Contour etc due to the limited space available for support circuitry.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Always make sure your cards are formatted ExFAT, and yeah if the camera manufacturer recommends a particular brand and/or size of card, try to stick with it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

So I picked up an Ion Air Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZ3JTGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about 40 bux because I wanted to try something out without investing 100+ dollars. Although I did have to pay extra to get the mounting kit to put it on my helmet.

So far its been pretty good. It does 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps which looks pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RnNYhDjcJg It is waterproof without a case, although I dont know if I would trust it to go snorkeling or something like that. It has a Wifi pod on the back so you can preview the image and playback stuff. Although the app is a bit buggy and doesnt work all the time.

Overall I would say its been worth the 40+ bux.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It was either here or the gear thread someone was asking about GoPro helmet mounting. I figure here makes more sense :P

This is how I had it mounted on the way back to town this past Monday:

The RF-1100 has a ridge around the chin just to the left of where I ended up sticking the mounting pad. When I was measuring it initially for placement, I forgot to take into account the actual angle of the helmet when in use, so I had to put on a couple extra joint to be able to angle the camera back, otherwise it'll point down too much. Really, the mounting pad could be another cm or two towards the centre of the helmet and still not contact the ridge.

The pro move is to replace the thumb screws with hex bolts once you've got a good angle dialled in, so that'll be a project for another day.

After futzing with it for a bit, this also might be a good solution, and doesn't need all those extra joints:

Have to try it out.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

The RF-1100 has a ridge around the chin just to the left of where I ended up sticking the mounting pad.

Is there not enough space below the ridge to stick the mounting plate? You could probably even dremel off the end of the mounting plate where the camera release prongs go if it's a touch long and overhangs, you'd just need to be slightly cautious when operating the prongs as they wont have anything behind them.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And by "left" what I really meant was "anti-clockwise." :v:

A crude approximation of where I could have put the mounting plate without too much trouble. You can see how the chin ridge splits the shape into a top and bottom area.

Here's a better shot of the ridge with one of the curved mounting plates held flush to the bottom of the ridge, right in the dead centre of the chin area.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

What I meant was 90 degrees to that, lower down so the black trim piece of the helmet is used as well, and possibly with the bottom part of the mounting plate cut off so it doesn't overhang. Would that work?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The black trim juts out a bit, and the curve on the chin part is a bit steeper than the curve of the mount; you end up with about 2mm on each side of the mount if you try putting it on vertically.

If going in that area, you'd really want to build up a base for it to stick the mount on. Other folks have mentioned using Sugru for that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GoPros are just not helmet cams and the lengths people go to to get around that instead of buying something designed for the job is hilarious, and I can only assume something that earns the GoPro marketing department a nice fat bonus.

(Not that "proper" helmet cams can be gracefully chin-mounted, but I can only assume people start in on chin-mounting just to get around the other problems with mounting it)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Not that "proper" helmet cams can be gracefully chin-mounted, but I can only assume people start in on chin-mounting just to get around the other problems with mounting it)

People start in on chin mounting because it pretty clearly gives the best perspective. Obviously, some helmets are more troublesome than others to do chin mount with.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I need an 808 camera and I vaguely recall discussion of that camera being brought up in this thread. The drat thing is sold by a million different sellers with a million different versions. I am trying to find something without the 120 degree lens, decent battery life, and decent video quality. Can anyone recommend an amazon seller?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This pretty much has every single archived piece of info on 808 cams.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml

If you cant find your answer there (i.e. what "version" comes with what lense), then that means no one knows.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm trying to buy a camera for my bike riding friend, and I don't know poo poo about cameras or bikes. From browsing the thread I think I want something compact, full hd, 3h+ battery (swappable if possible), good image stabilization and ease of use. Gopro hero session seems good, but maybe there are alternatives in 200$ price range? :poland: so no monoprice, but maybe something from Sony?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

alex314 posted:

I'm trying to buy a camera for my bike riding friend, and I don't know poo poo about cameras or bikes. From browsing the thread I think I want something compact, full hd, 3h+ battery (swappable if possible), good image stabilization and ease of use. Gopro hero session seems good, but maybe there are alternatives in 200$ price range? :poland: so no monoprice, but maybe something from Sony?

You don't need image stabilisation if it's going to be helmet-mounted (your head and neck already do the job pretty well). GoPros suck for helmet mounting though. My default answer - because it's the one I have - is the Drift Ghost S. Good form factor, great image quality especially in low light, and they've *finally* patched the firmware to get rid of the dumb crashes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

alex314 posted:

JB50 posted:

So I picked up an Ion Air Pro https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FZ3JTGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about 40 bux because I wanted to try something out without investing 100+ dollars. Although I did have to pay extra to get the mounting kit to put it on my helmet.

So far its been pretty good. It does 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps which looks pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RnNYhDjcJg It is waterproof without a case, although I dont know if I would trust it to go snorkeling or something like that. It has a Wifi pod on the back so you can preview the image and playback stuff. Although the app is a bit buggy and doesnt work all the time.

Overall I would say its been worth the 40+ bux.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. Ghost Drift S is way above my budget thanks to the land of VAT and poor bargains. I'll check them both and try to find something based on specs.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

GoPros are just not helmet cams and the lengths people go to to get around that instead of buying something designed for the job is hilarious, and I can only assume something that earns the GoPro marketing department a nice fat bonus.

Eh, I wanted one cam to do any number of things with, and the GoPro seemed to fit the bill. Not like I'm commuting on the bike and need a constantly running cam in case someone decides they like my spot in traffic.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

alex314 posted:

If you think your friends going to use it for stuff off the bike too, go with a go pro. Mounting it to a helmet can be a little fiddly, but taking it off and throwing it on a tripod or a timelapse mount to mess around with is fun as hell.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Will the Ghost Drift S stand up to some pretty serious punishment? I am floating between buying the Hero5 or the Drift S and my main concern is what happens to this thing when I smash it on a rock in the woods or something. Would either camera withstand a pretty direct hit to something hard if mounting to a helmet or dirt bike fender? I am leaning more toward the Drift right now since I will probably use the cam for both snowboarding (helmet mounting) and dirt biking (mounting all over the place).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My GoPro has survived countless augers into the ground on rc planes, both in and out of the case. It's been fine

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

rally posted:

Will the Ghost Drift S stand up to some pretty serious punishment? I am floating between buying the Hero5 or the Drift S and my main concern is what happens to this thing when I smash it on a rock in the woods or something. Would either camera withstand a pretty direct hit to something hard if mounting to a helmet or dirt bike fender? I am leaning more toward the Drift right now since I will probably use the cam for both snowboarding (helmet mounting) and dirt biking (mounting all over the place).

The Drift's pretty solidly-built - I can see the lens being vulnerable compared to the GoPro just because of the form factor, although it's designed to be easily replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I just replaced my faux pro garbage with something slightly more convenient, the Sena Prism Tube. The mount is excellent, the profile is far more fitting, but most importantly the whole thing is operated with one switch thats easy to feel. It even has an included microphone for inside your helmet which works just fine. Not that I necessarily want to talk to anybody, somehow hearing integrated mic noise-soup was just irritating anytime I looked at a vid, even if I didn't actually care about the audio. Although I do find I talk and sing to myself waaaaaaaaaaay more than I thought I did...

I recommend it for anybody who wants super hassle free everyday dash-cam oriented unit. Video quality is as you might expect at the ~$110 pricepoint so, ok but not great, just serviceable. Really not great at night but I'm not aware of anything that is anywhere near that price.

• Locked thread