Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I barely know what I'm asking so I will put it here. I want to take the 3.5mm input channel on my iMac and route it through some software effects and then use the processed signal in something like Skype or iChat. What's the best/lightest weight way to do this? I don't want to spend any money on something like this that seems simple. Can AU Lab pull this off? I plan on using the effects in AU Lab at least. Do I need to use something like SoundFlower to route the sound? I'm thinking I need to fake another input channel that is actually the processed version of the real input channel, right? I'm sort of asking the question before really playing around because I don't want to install and remove a bunch of software only to find out there's a simple solution using software already in OSX. I have 10.6 with developer tools installed.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

h_double posted:

Really understand how chords and scales relate to one another, how chords are built out of scale tones. Understand how a formula like "I ii iii IV V vi viidim" works, how it relates to modes (Ionian, Dorian, etc.), and why the keys of C major and A minor both share the same notes. Understand how the circle of fifths works and how key signatures are constructed.

Also do some ear training and play a lot of scales on your instrument of choice.

Right, thank you!

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
Which flange pedal would people recommend? I'm, obviously, looking at the electric mistress, as well as the mxr flanger. What other alternatives are there? Any with true bypass as well?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Midget Gems posted:

Which flange pedal would people recommend? I'm, obviously, looking at the electric mistress, as well as the mxr flanger. What other alternatives are there? Any with true bypass as well?

The Deluxe Electric Mistress is the best flanger pedal bar none. It's one of those things that will always be on my board even if I decide I hate EHX later on in life, becuase it's that good. It is the poo poo. Cream of the crop.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!
Does anyone have any experience with or opinions on Taylor single cutaway acoustics for under $1k, like this one?

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-TAY-114CE-LIST

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Does anyone know of a good metronome or drum machine that can play swing rhythms? I'd like to be able to practice playing jazz to a semi-decent sounding electronic drum track. I'm willing to pay up to around $150.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

Nelsocracy posted:

Does anyone know of a good metronome or drum machine that can play swing rhythms? I'd like to be able to practice playing jazz to a semi-decent sounding electronic drum track. I'm willing to pay up to around $150.
Swing varies by feel, practice jazz to quarter notes or only on 2 and 4. If you're looking for full accompaniment, try Band in a Box.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Every drum machine I've used lets you set an amount of swing on it. I probably wouldn't want to use one for anything approaching traditional jazz performance, but I'm sure it'd be fine for practicing.

nb: i haven't used a whole lot of drum machines but the ones I have used are at the bottom end of the price range so I cant imagine a nice one lacking it.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Is this guitar wiring layout overkill or even possible?

split-coil neck / tele bridge

master volume pot w/push-pull series/parallel switch (for both pickups or maybe just the split-coil?)
tone pot w/push-pull phase switch
blend pot w/center detent

3-way pickup selector switch

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Eastwood guitars. Yay or nay?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
schlieren, with just two pickups i dont see why you'd need the pickup selector and the blend pot, have you considered 2 independent volumes and a pickup selector? if you wire that right it wont cut off in the middle position if one's down to zero (this is just a peculiarity of gibson's wiring iirc)
also what kind of guitar are you doing this on? i doubt you'll be able to do it on a standard tele because it'll require a decently sized control cavity.

also if you've got a split coil you might do better to use an on/off/on switch instead of a pickup selector to invert its coils' phase :)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

screaden posted:

Eastwood guitars. Yay or nay?

Hell yay.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Schlieren posted:

Is this guitar wiring layout overkill or even possible?

split-coil neck / tele bridge

master volume pot w/push-pull series/parallel switch (for both pickups or maybe just the split-coil?)
tone pot w/push-pull phase switch
blend pot w/center detent

3-way pickup selector switch
are you actually going to use all those tones? Messing with switches and knobs can be kind of a liability when you're playing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I have had an acoustic bass guitar for some time now, and recently I decided to change the strings. One of the pin thingies (see picture, the white thingies) broke and I have been unable to find a replacement made for a bass size hole instead of a guitar sized one. Does anyone know A) What they are called and B) where I can buy them online, preferably from somewhere in Europe but the isn't absolutely vital.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

they're endpins, here's some at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Acoustic-Guitar-Bridge-White/dp/B001MMTJVG :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A good site to bookmark for replacement parts is Stewart MacDonald: http://www.stew-mac.com

edit: ^^^ I thought they were usually referred to as bridge-pins. I usually see end-pin referred to as like a strap-button for acoustics to match the bridge-pins. Not sure though.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 30, 2009

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are you sure those are for a bass? I don't see why I would need 7, given that I have only four strings. How do I make sure they're not guitar sized?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Scarf posted:

A good site to bookmark for replacement parts is Stewart MacDonald: http://www.stew-mac.com

edit: ^^^ I thought they were usually referred to as bridge-pins. I usually see end-pin referred to as like a strap-button for acoustics to match the bridge-pins. Not sure though.
I've seen both, but upon reflection I do think I've seen bridgepin more often. Haven't seen either one hyphenated often, so google it both ways I guess, Bohnair

Also stew-mac is good to look thru their catalog and figure out what you need, then google it to see where you can buy it at a price that's reasonable

e: like this random place, here's a set of 4 fender ones (yeah those martin pins were looking kinda funky, that was just a basic example sorry!): http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1191

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.

SimpleCoax posted:

I barely know what I'm asking so I will put it here. I want to take the 3.5mm input channel on my iMac and route it through some software effects and then use the processed signal in something like Skype or iChat. What's the best/lightest weight way to do this? I don't want to spend any money on something like this that seems simple. Can AU Lab pull this off? I plan on using the effects in AU Lab at least. Do I need to use something like SoundFlower to route the sound? I'm thinking I need to fake another input channel that is actually the processed version of the real input channel, right? I'm sort of asking the question before really playing around because I don't want to install and remove a bunch of software only to find out there's a simple solution using software already in OSX. I have 10.6 with developer tools installed.

Soundflower is probably your best option: you can also use JackOSX to route audio between programs. Within OSX, though, I don't think you really have any options.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007
How do I learn how to play and sing at the same time? I've never had very good coordination when it comes to doing two different things at a time, and I just haven't been able to pick it up practicing on my own.

Is there just a steep learning curve to it? Is there a good way to do it on my own, or am I just going to have to suck it up and schedule a half hour a week with someone?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

OBAMA ACKBAR posted:

How do I learn how to play and sing at the same time? I've never had very good coordination when it comes to doing two different things at a time, and I just haven't been able to pick it up practicing on my own.

Is there just a steep learning curve to it? Is there a good way to do it on my own, or am I just going to have to suck it up and schedule a half hour a week with someone?
If you can get the basics down, it's not hard at all. Also knowing your range is going to help you out a bunch.

I just found out that I can sing and play at the same time ( :neckbeard: ) and it was just a matter of doing it. The guitarist threw a mic in front of me and said "sing this when you play this" and I just did it and it was great. If you're just starting out, I would recommend picking out a song that you already know (or can easily learn) to sing and play along with. Once you're able to separate your hands from your vocal cords on one song, you can easily transfer it to another song once you get the knack of it.

And if it's up to you, make the part that you're playing while singing very simple and in-sync with what you're singing. Geddy Lee of Rush is a pretty good example of this and he's said that he's simplified bass parts for when he's singing to make it easier on him.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

CalvinDooglas posted:

are you actually going to use all those tones? Messing with switches and knobs can be kind of a liability when you're playing.

The push-pull stuff will not be touched during actual playing live I'd imagine; the guitar will mostly be used in a studio in any event.

I've had a guitar with phase switching forever (Fender Lead II), and I've found a use from time to time for the out-of-phase sound. Since these two pickups are not as similar as the pickups on the Lead II, and I'll have a way to control individual output with the blend, the out-of-phase won't thin out the sound quite as much, and might result in a totally unique tone (that's the plan, anyway).

The parallel / series thing, after I spoke with Lindy Fralin about it, sounds like it's going to be hit-or-miss, with the series output spiking at like 15 or 16k (rather than the 8-9k in the normal parallel configuration). But I'm willing to see how it turns out and it might sound pretty awesome. At the very worst, pots are cheap.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

schlieren, with just two pickups i dont see why you'd need the pickup selector and the blend pot, have you considered 2 independent volumes and a pickup selector?

Here, it does come down to ease of playing if it gets used live: I'd like all the random functionality tucked away neatly behind push / pull pots and only available with deliberate action, with one simple volume knob and one simple tone knob; with a detent on the blend pot at the 50/50 mark, it'd be really easy to keep tones consistent.

quote:

also what kind of guitar are you doing this on? i doubt you'll be able to do it on a standard tele because it'll require a decently sized control cavity.

It's going on a rear-routed Warmoth Tele body with strat knob configuration, it should have plenty of room but thanks for bringing this to mind for me.

quote:

also if you've got a split coil you might do better to use an on/off/on switch instead of a pickup selector to invert its coils' phase :)

push / pull for the phase (volume pot), push / pull for series / parallel (tone pot), blend w/detent (they don't make one of these push / pull), pickup selector for pickups ;)

So it'll function like a normal Tele until you fiddle with one of the things which normally wouldn't be on a standard Tele.

In any event thanks for being a sounding board, I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at this thing since I'm already sinking at least $3000 into it :gonk:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Schlieren posted:

At the very worst, pots are cheap.
and solder's even cheaper ;)

quote:

In any event thanks for being a sounding board, I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at this thing since I'm already sinking at least $3000 into it :gonk:
no trouble, i'm pretty funny about my wiring, i tend to go for what most folks'd say is too many switches and not enough knobs :xd:

and compression would be a good way to tame the switch from parallel to series; honestly, that's the reason i'd recommend another configuration, but hell, it's a rear-access control cavity! if you don't like it, go plug in your iron and switch it up

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007
I am wondering if I should get pro tools or cubase. I have a copy of cubase essential 4, and am ready to move beyond that (I want a bigger sound library and time warp features).

Here are some things that might steer me one way or the other:

1. I already use the m-audio fast track pro so hardware is not an issue for pro tools.
2. I want time warp features to correct minor timing issues.
3. I would like to replace an amp/fx live with a laptop into a PA one day.
4. 99% of my recording usage is for guitars.
5. 99% of my MIDI use is for drum tracks only. I have a MIDI drum kit I want to record with, but I also need to edit midi easily for times I don't have it setup or cannot play what I am writing.
6. My minimal knowledge of cubase has caused interest in other bands to help them record.
7. Eventually I want to be able to have knowledge of how to mix things in a professional modern way, which one has a better mixer?

How do the quality of the built-in plugins compare?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Here's about as nub a question as you can get!

I've never had to use more than one cab, but I may have to in the near future. There are two jacks on the back of the amp, the amp can handle 4 ohms. I have 2 8 ohm cabinets. How do I connect them?

Mr.Gorha
Jul 27, 2005

Have a nice day.
How do I go about promoting a band?
They've played a few shows in our city, and they already have a pretty big fan base (around 75 tickets a show) but if they want to play in other lerger citys around us, they're told they have to sell atleast 50 tickets, and since they don't have a local following in any other city they pretty much can't do that.
Pimping out myspace and facebook just seems whoreish and attention grabbing, but other than leaflets and flyers, how did bands promote themselves before online music became so huge?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Mr.Gorha posted:

They've played a few shows in our city, and they already have a pretty big fan base (around 75 tickets a show) but if they want to play in other lerger citys around us, they're told they have to sell atleast 50 tickets, and since they don't have a local following in any other city they pretty much can't do that.
Pimping out myspace and facebook just seems whoreish and attention grabbing, but other than leaflets and flyers, how did bands promote themselves before online music became so huge?
Befriend bands local to those other cities and open for them would be one way.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Mr.Gorha posted:

They're not looking hard enough for gigs. You can get a gig just about anywhere, even if it's a poo poo gig. If there are places in a city that want you to sell tickets for them (and who sometimes charge you for unsold tickets), there are most assuredly smaller venues that will let most anyone play. Even in Denver, a metro area of over 1 million, 50 is a big draw for one band on one night

Most of the places that expect you to draw are actual music venues. They want national acts and local bands can't expect to get into those places for a while. If this band wants to get out of town, all they have to do is pick up a newspaper and see who's got music that week. Breaking even might be the best they can expect right away, but it's how you start.

Besides the actual legwork of calling bars all the time, all they can really do is get a demo together, pimp their myspace, and work hard enough to sound good.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Looking for any opinions on semi-pro or at least "something to work with" microphones to record guitar and bass for a completely DIY whatever-core album. In the past I've had to deal with too many half-assers who want to record when I don't and then want to mic the guitars with SM58's and mic the bass with a kick drum mic, and as much as I think I know, I don't really know poo poo about recording equipment. The guitar setup starts out pretty decent on my end, Gibson Firebird Studio and Gibson SG Standard, both in good shape, Bad Cat Hot Cat 100 and Peavey Triple XXX going through two separate Marshall 1960's. Bass, unfortunately, is going to be whatever we can come up with plus that Boss Overdrive pedal.

Since I tend to just buy expensive poo poo and hope it sounds good (which I'm starting to get better at) and the rest of the band that just half-asses everything may actually just get kicked out rather than poo poo up my decent guitar playing, I'm hoping someone can offer up a couple suggestions as to what instrument mics can provide more to start with. I'm the sole songwriter and I know a solid recording starts with solid performance (which is why the 2nd guitarist and bassist probably won't be on this), I've just never been on the recording side of things so I'm looking for ideas on a slightly more bang-for-buck wallet.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Can someone who's decent at wiring pickups please let me know if this configuration would work? Black is the ground line, red is hot. I'm trying to wire up 2 pickups with a volume and tone knob for each, using concentric pots and a 3-way mini switch. Sorry for my terrible handwriting, and thanks in advance.

Click here for the full 509x700 image.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Could my on-board soundcard get fried if I hook in my acoustic-electric guitar into the line-in directly, without a preamp? I just want to record the raw signal. I used to do this on my old computer but I think something went wrong with it, I had very strange effects when recording. I wouldn't want to repeat the same mistake on my new computer.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Hell yay.

I was hoping for a bit more information. I probably should have mentioned that before. Aside from the looks (which are badass), I would like to know more about them

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

screaden posted:

I was hoping for a bit more information. I probably should have mentioned that before. Aside from the looks (which are badass), I would like to know more about them

They're a quality brand with a decent reputation and great prices. What more do you need to know?

Obviously give them a test drive at your local guitar shop if possible, but poo poo, Carbohydrates has one, and he only has awesome guitars. I almost bought one, but I don't really ever have the ability to buy guitars. I suck, but those guitars are tight. That's really all the info I have.

emonkey
Jun 30, 2007

DaveSpillings posted:

Looking for any opinions on semi-pro or at least "something to work with" microphones to record guitar and bass for a completely DIY whatever-core album. In the past I've had to deal with too many half-assers who want to record when I don't and then want to mic the guitars with SM58's and mic the bass with a kick drum mic, and as much as I think I know, I don't really know poo poo about recording equipment. The guitar setup starts out pretty decent on my end, Gibson Firebird Studio and Gibson SG Standard, both in good shape, Bad Cat Hot Cat 100 and Peavey Triple XXX going through two separate Marshall 1960's. Bass, unfortunately, is going to be whatever we can come up with plus that Boss Overdrive pedal.

Since I tend to just buy expensive poo poo and hope it sounds good (which I'm starting to get better at) and the rest of the band that just half-asses everything may actually just get kicked out rather than poo poo up my decent guitar playing, I'm hoping someone can offer up a couple suggestions as to what instrument mics can provide more to start with. I'm the sole songwriter and I know a solid recording starts with solid performance (which is why the 2nd guitarist and bassist probably won't be on this), I've just never been on the recording side of things so I'm looking for ideas on a slightly more bang-for-buck wallet.

Well I'm a recording noob too but I would look into doing everything digitally via a DAW. You just record a flat input signal from your guitar and model the amp, cab and room acoustics in software. You won't get the 100% perfect tone reproduction from your amps/cabs/fx of choice but the improved quality of the recording will more than outweigh it.

If you get an m-audio box they come with a 'light' version of pro tools for around $250. Good amp modelling plugins will cost extra as well but it's a place to start.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

DaveSpillings posted:

:words: i need mics
Firstly, micing the guitars with an SM58 is the same thing as micing them with an SM57, which is a very popular guitar cab mic. It'll do a decent job, and many studios use a 57 for this very purpose. That said, buy Audix microphones. They're price-comparable to their Shure counterparts but perform much better on the whole. I picked up a used Audix A5 (their version of the SM57) and even the other gear-stupid bandmates were able to figure out that it did a much better job than the 57 we had been using. Our frontman is even using it as a vocal mic, which isn't recommended (use an OM2 for that) but still does a much better job than the SM58 we were using.

Micing a bass cab is way too complicated and you're much better off using a DI box. The Tech21 SansAmp is a popular choice, but if the bass's amp has a DI on it, just use that and plug straight into the mixing board.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do cheap sets of nut files exist? I like to change string gauges and tunings on guitar and bass, StewMac wants $140 just for a set of files.

Something similar for fret files would be great as well.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

the wizards beard posted:

Do cheap sets of nut files exist? I like to change string gauges and tunings on guitar and bass, StewMac wants $140 just for a set of files.

Something similar for fret files would be great as well.
I will never buy anything from StewMac because they seem to be way, way too expensive. They've got a lot of neat poo poo, but I don't have the scratch for it.

Hit up a hardware store. They'll probably have some files, but you'll have to do conversions for sure (from string gauge to inches/cm). For the frets (we're just talking about the ends, right?) sandpaper is probably the best bet. Just get some higher grits (start at like 220 and go up from there if you need to) and make sure the sandpaper is meant for metal (the paper for wood isn't as sturdy).

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
String gauges are already measured in inches :)

Yeah I've thought of going to a big hardware store with a bunch of StewMac printouts, might do that on the weekend. I'd really like a file(s) for fret work, sand paper can be really awkward to work with unless you glue it to something and then it has to replaced...
I don't know of any cheap places that do this, so I could save quite a bit if can do it at home. Shaping and filing a fret from a blank can't be more than an hour of work with the right tools, right? Ideally I'd like to be able to do full re-frets, but just crowning and levelling would do for now.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

the wizards beard posted:

String gauges are already measured in inches :)

Yeah I've thought of going to a big hardware store with a bunch of StewMac printouts, might do that on the weekend. I'd really like a file(s) for fret work, sand paper can be really awkward to work with unless you glue it to something and then it has to replaced...
I don't know of any cheap places that do this, so I could save quite a bit if can do it at home. Shaping and filing a fret from a blank can't be more than an hour of work with the right tools, right? Ideally I'd like to be able to do full re-frets, but just crowning and levelling would do for now.
Sounds like you already know more about this sort of thing than me :ohdear: Best of luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've widened nuts before using string ends and strings wrapped in sandpaper but better tool would make this much easier and give nicer results. I'll let you know how I get on, hopefully the StewMac stuff is rebranded and not exclusive to his site