Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

Working hard for the money.

AbbiTheDog posted:

A joint CPA/JD is rare and quite sought after. I would recommend what a previous poster mentioned and consider steering your career to estate/trust issues. Interesting work, usually with interesting clients who might or might not do what you recommend - it's like playing the lottery!

This is good advice. Estate/trust attorneys are a rare breed. The last tax seminar I went to had one as a speaker for 3 hours and I (and everyone else) found the topic to be very interesting.*

*disclaimer: what tax accountants find interesting may not be the same as what normal people find interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

AbbiTheDog posted:

Don't know about that, went to a few classes in late October and the speakers changed every two hours. You'd go from an awesome speaker to a complete snoozefest four times a day.

Sounds about right.

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

I hit a two day tax seminar in St Cloud, MN. Only left the hotel (which had the shittiest coffee ever) once to play a round of golf across the street. Was the worst course I've ever played on and they were aerating the greens to boot. Why did you go all the way to Vegas for class hours? Don't you live in Oregon? No cpe available nearer?

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

scribe jones posted:

Any of you knuckleheads have experience with nonprofit accounting? I am working on this statement of financial position (i.e. bizarro balance sheet) and it is driving me batty. The way the template is set up is this:

But in other SFPs I've looked at, there is no line for current surplus/(deficit) in the net assets section. And I can't figure out how to make the thing balance with it there. What the hell.

You didn't take fund accounting in college?

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

staciems86 posted:

You're right about it being dull and boring. Accounting classes were the worst classes I've ever taken.

I enjoy accounting classes. Maybe you just had a bad teacher?

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation as to payroll software?

I will be doing the bookkeeping for my family business, which has 2 restaurants and about 35 employees. The idea is to try to save money, so rather than use ADP or some other payroll company, we want to have me do it. We will still have an accountant to handle the taxes.

If you're going to have an outside accountant do the taxes just have them handle the payrolls, too. Have them do Form 8027 as well.

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

I wish I had taken the CPA immediately. Now I'm a decade into my career and a tax manager at a regional firm. They want me to get my CPA, but I really couldn't give two shits about it. I have my EA and the only thing the CPA would grant me is street cred. My clients all just assume I'm a CPA anyway.

After reviewing some CPAs work I'm not impressed.

Couldn't Pass Again

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

The point is to find something useful for me to do within the business. I am not going to be of use in growing the business. The alternative would be me sweeping and mopping the floors at night or things of that nature.

You're not going to make it in accounting if you don't know how to pass to buck and then make yourself look busier than you actually are.

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

I'm leaving tax for a private company Controller position. Oh happy days! I put in my 2 week notice Monday and next week will be my last, but I'm seriously considering just taking next week off.

No tax season for me this year suckers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinson
Nov 25, 2007

Missing Donut posted:

Congratulations; I did the same thing 2 years ago.

(Except I started my own firm on the side. Now I enjoy tax season.)

I had my own firm before starting at my last job. I sold it to them. Now I'm free! No lectures for only putting in 55 hours in a week during tax season regardless of how managed my workload is. No lectures for slacking off during the off season regardless of how little I actually have to do (what am I supposed to make up work to bill the clients for? Do you not want clients?).

This year I just have to do my own taxes and that's it. Well, I have to prepare the numbers for the company I work at to hand off to the CPA firm. They'll probably be happy about the state of what they get. Personally I don't think I would have prepared the return last year if I were them considering the state of what they received from the previous controller...