Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
My dad's been an accountant for many years, and my older brother's an accountant as well.

My dad likes accounting, but got into it out of necessity, rather than choice. It's been a good career for him, and he makes good money. My older brother freaking loves accounting, it's his passion, he loves knowing all the laws and putting things together.

As a career, they both told me not to get into it for the following reasons:
1) Portability. Laws are different between different countries, and between States, and depending on what kind of accounting you do your ability to move around is limited unless you want to do a lot of retraining.
2) Long hours. You will probably have to work a lot around the month-end/year-end, which sucks.
3) Stress. There's a high amount of stress involved with many accounting jobs, and many times the origin of the problem isn't you or anything related to what you've done.

Unless you're like my brother and you really love it, you probably have more enjoyable career options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Mr. Zour posted:

Back to the OP though I know I may be a little late on this one, but look into becoming a tax lawyer. Have you ever seen those people who drive around in limousines throwing hundred dollar bills through the sun roof? Those people are tax lawyers. I am not joking too, those guys make more in 2 weeks than the average American does in a year. I have not looked into it a hell of a lot, but from what I have heard you can expect a 7 figure salary.

See the lawyer megathread in A/T, and then throw away any dreams of success as a lawyer.

There are 45,000 law students graduating every year, fighting for less than 30,000 new jobs.