Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«92 »
Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

I told my girl she wasn't getting laid until she stopped smoking. I let her do it behind my back for a few weeks and then guilted her so hard she stopped. That was about two years ago, she hasn't smoked since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mufkin
Sep 9, 2004
YES THIS IS MY NATURAL HAIR COLOR!!!!!!111

I actually help people quit for a living. I never realized how difficult quitting was until I spent 8 hours a day talking to people (some of them in tears) about it.

So everyone out there who is trying to quit: Keep at it. It sucks but as long as its something you really want, its worth it.

Yay for the Great American Smoke out!!

K-Rad
Aug 21, 2007
What a tragic waste of potential.

I've been smoking for about 10 years. From the start of 2006 until midway through 2007 I quit, then I moved to China where EVERYONE smokes, EVERYONE offers you a cigarette (including the headmaster of the PRIMARY SCHOOL you're teaching at, and he fully expects you to suck it down with him in front of the kids) and you can get smokes for around 30c USD a packet.

Anyhow, I haven't had a cigarette for a week and a half now and I've been out drinking and partying in that time and am yet to really feel the 'craving' for one. I've achieved this in the same way I quit last time and for those who want to quit 'sometime' but not necessarily right now, here is how I did it:

Step 1: Exercise. ALOT OF IT. Cardio intensive stuff, preferably team sports such as 5-a-side football or something similar. Then you will have 2 reasons to help motivate you to quit; a) So you can keep up! b) so you're not THAT GUY letting the team down by being an unfit piece of poo poo.

Step 2: Wait until you get sick Flu/common cold sick. You're an unfit smoker, you WILL get a cold at least every 3-4 months (if you tell me otherwise you're full of poo poo). Next time you do, take this as your chance to stop. Generally (unless you're a loving moron) you smoke less when you're coughing up a lung due to the flu, so take the next step and stop altogether. Those 3 days or so that you feel like dying due to your virus are the PERFECT time to stop smoking as you won't miss it so much when you've bigger things to worry about. Once those 3 days are over, you'll have missed those hardest and initial craving days and you'll find it easier to keep going without.

Step 3: KEEP EXERCISING and take note of your improvements in performance/cardio. These will help spur you on and keep you away from the bungers.

Step 4: Don't think of yourself as someone who has 'quit' cigarettes. Think of yourself as a 'non-smoker'. Purely psychological I know, but it seems to help some!

Good luck, and remember, after a few weeks you wont even miss them, you'll smell nicer and run farther!

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

I went with the wellbutrin xl just because i didn't want the chantix dreams. I know chantix is basically a guaranteed quit but the wellbutrin fits my needs better.

The dreams were not at all a bad thing for me. They were just more vivid than usual, but not scary or anything, just fun.

Rev Quackers
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, are those Pineapple Margaritas?!? Ducks FUCKING LOVE Margaritas! They're practicality our favorite things ever!

Just in case you guys want some help quitting, a lot of people on this thread have mentioned that they used electronic cigarettes to help them quit

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3171692

MintSpy
Apr 29, 2008

I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you...

November 30th will be my 3 year anniversary of quitting from 20 a day for 8 years. Here's how:

1) I used the inhalor/inhalator/whatever the technical term is - plastic cigarette with cartridges. Bought a starter pack from Boots (uk chemist/drug store). Would pop outside work for a smoke, and alternate drags between the two sources. And on each successive smoke break, reduce one, increase the other. By the end of the day I had a lit cigarette burning down like a slow Mission: Impossible fuse in one hand, while the plastic teat of sin in the other fed my craving.

2) PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE: The 7 p's. I got several sources of nicotine and kept them on my mantlepiece so they were in very clear view - gum, patches, inhaler cartridges.

They are all very expensive and comparable with the price of regular smokes, right? True! And other people before you have had the same thing, quit, and been left with a pile of in-date but second hand merchandise. Therefore do what I did:

3) GO TO EBAY - GO NOW. Search for nicorette, nicotine gum, etc - make it a fun game to track down sources of your poison, bid snipe other wide eyed growling addicts. Get a big supply of sources of nicotine.

4) Promise yourself that you will use one source before the next, and the next, and the next, before you will have a smoke. I went inhaler, patches (big middle small), gum (4mg, 2mg). Maybe try those stage cigarettes - honey rose. Taste so godawful you wont want to smoke.

5) DO NOT BE AFRAID TO STAY ON THE GUM - it is preferable to inhaling the smoke. I took it very slowly, and was still using the weakest gum, maybe 5 or 6 pieces a day, 6 or 7 months later. By this time it was simply a habit, more than a genuine craving. I stopped. And because I had removed the physical action of using anything cigarette-like, once I stopped and had my very minimal cold turkey (more of a semi-frigid budgie), I did not just reach for the nearest stick of flammable lung candy.

quit ONCE. quit RIGHT.

very best of luck to you all its a brave thing you're doing, but you're taking control and that means you're not a puppet. Or muppet.

edit: That was only 6 P's. I forgot PULSATING

MintSpy fucked around with this message at Nov 20, 2009 around 16:09

Hugh Malone
Nov 20, 2007

Toucan Sam posted:

I was told i have to quit, had a massive heart attack Friday, so i haven't smoked a single cigarette since Friday. I want one but getting a heart catheter and two separate angioplasty's kinda seals the deal. Getting that sheath taken out of your thigh will make you do whatever you need to make sure you don't have to do it again. I'm 35 and i'd been smoking for 22-23yrs. I had recently cut back to a pack per day. I want a cigarette badly but i've made it almost a week so i just count the days.

Still smokin'

Hugh Malone fucked around with this message at Mar 6, 2014 around 23:31

K-Rad
Aug 21, 2007
What a tragic waste of potential.

Hugh Malone posted:

I haven't had a cigarette yet today, and am going to attempt a straight up-cold turkey approach.

Whatever you do, do NOT sit around the house and do gently caress all. Everytime you're REALLY hanging for a smoke, go sprint around the block or shoot some hoops or something physical. When you're panting for air you'll remember why you're quitting (for your health!) and also concentrating on whatever you're doing will take away the idle thoughts drifting towards cigarettes.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Yeah I'm gonna quit. I quit at New Year's and managed seven months before I started drinking again (I quit that too!) and then the smoking came back. I only smoke when I drink after smoking heavily pretty much every day for six years or so and I think it'll be easy, it's just when I'm pissed it's hard. Only smoked maybe six cigarettes last night but it makes me feel considerably worse in the morning.

SconZ
Dec 9, 2006
40,000 men and women every day

I quit with the patches. People give them poo poo, but they worked for me.

Daimo
Sep 14, 2007

Patches work for me too. Well they do when I try but im not bothering until new year when theres more pressure. This year I managed three months and last year six, so fingers crossed. My trouble is I just wear two or three and go cold turkey and then have nothing for a quick fix when the urge comes along weeks later.

Love the crazy dreams you get with them, for best results apply before bed!

crazy face
Oct 18, 2004

Oh, it's just my package, yeah just ah my package, God delivered it I signed for it the world keeps on spinnin', yeah.

I quit smoking a month ago because of my aspirations to become a fire medic, which here in FL, you need to be 1 year tobacco free and maintain it throughout your career.

Either way, given that given that motive and being crazy sick when I decided to quit eased the process for me. I haven't drank nearly as much as i did to assist in quitting but now I'm at the point where I can get drunk with all my friends who smoke and I'm fine

I was also smoking a pack a day that runs at 7.38 a pack. Needless to say I've saved a poo poo load of money.

Auxiliary Easel
May 20, 2007
useful, no doubt

Been quitting off and of since May. I've tried gum, patches, and cold turkey, and the gum has worked the best. (Cold turkey only lasted a few hours.) I'm usually good for about a month, and then I fall off the wagon for a week or so because I'm just so tired of being exhausted all of the time. How long does it take for that to go away? I haven't felt awake in weeks.

crazy face
Oct 18, 2004

Oh, it's just my package, yeah just ah my package, God delivered it I signed for it the world keeps on spinnin', yeah.

Auxiliary Easel posted:

Been quitting off and of since May. I've tried gum, patches, and cold turkey, and the gum has worked the best. (Cold turkey only lasted a few hours.) I'm usually good for about a month, and then I fall off the wagon for a week or so because I'm just so tired of being exhausted all of the time. How long does it take for that to go away? I haven't felt awake in weeks.

I don't recall smoking having anything to do with energy or fatigue. At least not from my experiences nor any of my friends.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Since my last post I haven't bought a cigarette, but I have gotten drunk a couple times and smokes 1-3 in a night. I know it sounds lame, but I feel by just not buying a pack that I'm making good progress. I really don't want them that badly, I just always bum them when I drink too much. Maybe I should stop drinking so much too then.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"

I smoke GB's every day. All day.

Semi-Normal
Oct 9, 2007

Sex is on, yeah?

crazy face posted:

I don't recall smoking having anything to do with energy or fatigue. At least not from my experiences nor any of my friends.

Nicotine causes a rapid release of adrenaline and increases metabolism.

Most coffee addicts would probably feel "sluggish" if they stopped taking their drug of choice.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Schistosity posted:

I'm naturally suspicious with the premise of the book, as I think most reasonable people would. As one who has tried quitting many times unsuccessfully I am willing to read his book, but I am not one who will blindly believe everything I read (which Carr fully agrees to and states multiple times himself in his book.) I do genuinely want to quit and I find his book interesting, but any normal human (that smokes) would find it hard to believe that quitting smoking is painfree and easy, which is the basis of his system.

All I wanted to know is if others have read his book and what their opinion of it is.

There's no reason quitting smoking should be uncomfortable at all since the physiological withdrawal is comically weak. Putting aside the withdrawals the only real difference between a smoker and a non-smoker is the smoker intends to smoke another cigarette. The point of the book is to get you into a state of mind where you do not intend to ever pick up another cigarette. There's no con and I mean to be honest it's shocking hearing that claim levelled at Carr in an arena where companies are selling alternate nicotine vectors for more than cigarettes cost, and the government spends millions of dollars reinforcing how TERRIFYING the prospect of quitting smoking is.

Also if you read the book and didn't quit you can take it back to one of the seminars they run and get a refund (at least my copy had that written in the back).

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

I quit cold turkey back in June of this year due to major health problems, but started back up in October due to severe stress. During the time I had quit, I noticed my stamina increase immensely and food did taste so much better.

But now with money issues and a pack costing me $5 (they used to cost about 3.50 here) I cant afford to smoke. I actually spent 2 hours last night rolling pennies to buy a pack. I felt like a crack addict.

So, Im in.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

kylehamilton posted:

Just in case you guys want some help quitting, a lot of people on this thread have mentioned that they used electronic cigarettes to help them quit

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3171692

The only problem with those is for people like my aunt, who have become more addicted to electronic cigarettes than normal smoking.

Says me who sits here constantly inhaling on his >.<

Either way, I'm planning on giving up smoking once my liquid runs out (I have about 4-5 ml of the 54mg mixing liquid, which will probably last me though the new years).

I'll probably sell off my stuff after that as I won't need it anymore. Biggest problem with me is that everyone I know smokes. Friends, family, whatever smokes constantly. My best friend probably does 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day (He works at an iron foundry so he can smoke pretty much anywhere), both my sisters smoke, and my fiancées mom and brother smoke in the house, which makes it an absolute bitch when we make the trip to visit. I may give her mom the rest of my stuff for Christmas.

Mein Eyes!
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Over one year quit, just wrapping up my 13th month. Its been a very, very stressful year, and I wouldn't have thought I could get through it without a cigarette, but here I am. Go for it. Not smoking is great, and quitting gives you an excuse to feel good about yourself regardless of the circumstances.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

I have been off the *tine for about 8 months now. I was a 1/2pack to pack a day smoker for about 5 years. I tried the patch, worked kinda... sometimes made me want to smoke more actually. Tried the gum, didn't work for me. I was on Chantix for a bit, worked a lot actually. It made me nauseous anytime I got close to smoke... however after a while I slipped back into my old habits. Also Chantix was too expensive to use for how long my doctor wanted me too.

I found that *replacing* cigs with other nicotine will simply not work. The *tine keeps a hold on your brain and you will never lose the urge to quit smoking since you are constantly introducing nicotine to your system.

The way to do it is to stop COLD loving TURKEY, harden the gently caress up and stop smoking. Stop today, take all holiday to clean the poo poo out of your car, febreeze it, and everything else that smells like cigs. Make it so clean you wont want to light up another fag in it. Also throw out any and all smoking poo poo, lighters, ash trays, etc. Get it out of your sight.

Also don't go to bars for the first few days to a week, the urge will be too great to smoke another one. Try to fill you time with other activities, STAY BUSY! Keep away from your friends that smoke for a week, the urge will be too great, also they will understand what you are doing and will most likely support you.

Once you break the 2 week mark you will start to feel incredible, you will be a whole new you. At this time you can begin to hang with your smoking friends....just don't go out with them when they go "out for a smoke."

Change your habits, clean up your stuff, stop smoking today, join a gym, and never smoke another cig ever again. Once you re-introduce nicotine back into your system you will be at day 1 again, fighting withdrawal all over again.

That's how I did it, perhaps someone who can read through it all may find some help.

grammagoulis
Jul 1, 2007

I've got to disagree with the people who say cutting back absolutely won't work. I tried everything and that was the only way I managed to quit.

The trick is not to do anything too dramatic and to fill in those holes in your schedule. I approached fixing my smoking habit the same way I did fixing my eating habits, I watched myself for a week, taking note of when and why I smoked. I was smoking about once an hour, so I told myself to go an hour and a half between breaks. Once that became an easy habit, I went to two hours between cigs, and so on. I filled in those old smoke breaks by finding extra stuff to do in the office or taking a walk (exercise works especially well because it makes you breathe deeply and kicks your brain into gear). If I got stressed and antsy and felt like I absolutely needed a cigarette before the scheduled time, I'd smoke half, clip it, and smoke the other half on schedule. I lapsed a couple of times, but never went back to smoking as much as before and I managed to give it up totally in six months.

Declaring "smoke free zones" helped too. Once I decided to quit smoking in my car and my bedroom, it definitely limited the times I could smoke.

grammagoulis fucked around with this message at Nov 25, 2009 around 17:06

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

lifenomad posted:

I found that *replacing* cigs with other nicotine will simply not work. The *tine keeps a hold on your brain and you will never lose the urge to quit smoking since you are constantly introducing nicotine to your system.
While most of your post is pretty good, this is crap. People have different methods, some just can't handle cold turkey (My Fiancée can't handle me going cold turkey). Some people will need those alternate methods. Some people aren't addicted to the nicotine as much as they're addicted to habit.

George F Dorn
Sep 11, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

I smoke GB's every day. All day.

I'm 2 1/2 days into not smoking after about a pack a day for two years. Really I had maybe 5-6 cigs for about a year each day, then about a year ago I sped up to about 14-16 cigs and now for the last 8 months or so I'm smoking about 16-20 cigs a day.

Getting a chest cold is awesome!

lcfc
Jan 15, 2008
.....and it's Leicester City, Leicester city FC!

I want to quit! i haev a 50g pouch of golden virginia and i've convinced myself that i'll quit after i've finished these, i've even bought some of them nicotine inhalators.

I only realised the other day that i've been smoking for 6 years since I was 13 and reckon that's pretty grim so hopefully will be able to pack it in, however, worried about getting fatter!

George F Dorn
Sep 11, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

lcfc posted:

I want to quit! i haev a 50g pouch of golden virginia and i've convinced myself that i'll quit after i've finished these, i've even bought some of them nicotine inhalators.

I only realised the other day that i've been smoking for 6 years since I was 13 and reckon that's pretty grim so hopefully will be able to pack it in, however, worried about getting fatter!

You could try running. When I quit for a while a few times before, either getting sick as poo poo or running is what did it for me. If you run every day or every other day, you simply can't both smoke all the time and also run, poo poo hurts.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My 19th day without a cigarette, and I am back home for Thanksgiving where everyone in my family smokes, so it's really hard not to go into the backyard and have a smoke with a member of my family. BUT I'm staying strong and I'm determined NOT to have a cigarette.

RajCooper
Nov 4, 2009

mufkin posted:

I actually help people quit for a living. I never realized how difficult quitting was until I spent 8 hours a day talking to people (some of them in tears) about it.

So everyone out there who is trying to quit: Keep at it. It sucks but as long as its something you really want, its worth it.

Yay for the Great American Smoke out!!

I never understood what it is people need help with, what is you actually do to help them?

I stopped using snus about a year ago after using it for 4 years, had mad cravings for about a week, and was totally fine after that.

George F Dorn
Sep 11, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

RajCooper posted:

I never understood what it is people need help with, what is you actually do to help them?

I stopped using snus about a year ago after using it for 4 years, had mad cravings for about a week, and was totally fine after that.

Snus is not smoking. I can only speak for myself, but it isn't just the nicotine that is why people smoke, in fact that's usually way at the back of the reasons they like smoking and continue to smoke.

RajCooper
Nov 4, 2009

George F Dorn posted:

Snus is not smoking. I can only speak for myself, but it isn't just the nicotine that is why people smoke, in fact that's usually way at the back of the reasons they like smoking and continue to smoke.

Same goes for snus actually, it's not just the nicotine. From what I've been told it's about as hard to quit smoking as it is with snus, different reasons to why and all but generally equally hard.

Not trying to poo poo on people having a hard time quitting just curious.

Basketballbat
Jul 2, 2007

by mons all madden

In on my 3:rd week being cigarette and snus free.. using 14mg/24h patches and next week Ill step down to 7mg/24h patches. Feels OK now, in the beginning the only thing I was thinking about was getting a smoke or putting in a snus, but now I hardly think about it.. the mind is a strange thing.

power
Nov 4, 2009

I quit on this past August 6th. I had been smoking heavily for about 12 years and had never successfully quit for more than a couple of days until now. I stayed really active for about the first 8 years of my smoking which really made the ill effects harder to notice. Over the last few years it was becoming quite obvious how badly it was loving up my lungs. Problem was I still really enjoyed it and didn't really want to give it up. I was smoking a pack and a half a day at least.

My SO and I quit together, which helped a lot because I spent all my time with her or at work. Then I got laid off 2 days after our quit day, which eliminated my other favorite place to smoke, in the shop at work. I used the patch as well, 2 weeks step1, 6weeks step2, and 4 weeks step 3.

Its worth mentioning I tried Zyban about 7 years ago, and it completely hosed with my attitude and concentration, which nearly got me into a car accident. Not recommended.

Obligatory paste of quit calculator:

You've been free of cigarettes for 111 days, 20 hours, 47 minutes & 21 seconds
You have not smoked 3,356 cigarettes since then, and you have saved a total of $1,426.30.

George F Dorn
Sep 11, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Day three without my friends. I'm still sick so I can't really separate any withdraw from how loving sick I am. Guys, I think the best way to quit smoking is to get a horrible chest flu that becomes a sinus infection. I don't even want to smoke!

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em

George F Dorn posted:

Day three without my friends. I'm still sick so I can't really separate any withdraw from how loving sick I am. Guys, I think the best way to quit smoking is to get a horrible chest flu that becomes a sinus infection. I don't even want to smoke!

I just went through exactly that and I don't really want to smoke except after I smoke

Displeased Moo Cow
Jun 15, 2009

Shitty Macbook.

I was a 15-20 a day man until last year. I had previously given up for about 12 months a few years ago but started back up again.

I had tried everything, patches, gum, I even did hypnosis therapy in the garage of a small indian's man house, whilst his wife was cooking dinner in the kitchen (I ended up smoking 2 cigarettes and buying a curry on my walk back to the train station).

I have no idea what it was that actually made me stop smoking and it bugs the living hell out of me. All I can put it down to was simply "I can not afford to do this anymore". NZ$30 for a pouch of tobacco was getting too steep for someone with a family to support.

I really had hoped that I wasn't as shallow as that, but it turns out I am. This month is my first year without a cigarette.

Do I feel healthier? No.
Do I feel better about myself? Not any better than I did when I smoked.
Do I have extra cash to spend on my wife and kids every week? Yes.
Will I live longer to spend more time with my family? I guess, but who cares.

qwako
Sep 11, 2009

I smoked 20 a day for about a year and a half and quit smoking 9 days and 23 hours ago. Honestly it was so unbelievably easy. It was all built up to be THE HARDEST THING IN YOUR LIFE and i had facts and figures thrown at me like "only 3-12% of people manage to quit smoking cold turkey their first time round," but after day 2 the major cravings/headaches had gone, by the end of day 3 my cravings had vanished. Had a joint on day 5 and felt fine with no cravings, went out and got very drunk on day 7 (which was a major trigger for my smoking) and didnt get a single urge to smoke.

Maybe im some superhuman anti-nicotine man or something?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

qwako posted:

I smoked 20 a day for about a year and a half and quit smoking 9 days and 23 hours ago. Honestly it was so unbelievably easy. It was all built up to be THE HARDEST THING IN YOUR LIFE and i had facts and figures thrown at me like "only 3-12% of people manage to quit smoking cold turkey their first time round," but after day 2 the major cravings/headaches had gone, by the end of day 3 my cravings had vanished. Had a joint on day 5 and felt fine with no cravings, went out and got very drunk on day 7 (which was a major trigger for my smoking) and didnt get a single urge to smoke.

Maybe im some superhuman anti-nicotine man or something?

My father is also a superhuman anti-nicotine man. One day he just said to me that he should stop smoking. Happened ~six years ago and he has never smoked a cigarette since. I was kind of amazed. I don't plan on starting smoking myself even if it was hereditary; smell of smoke makes me feel ill so I avoid smokers like a plague.

George F Dorn
Sep 11, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Dalai Lamacide posted:

I just went through exactly that and I don't really want to smoke except after I smoke

poo poo it's day 4 for me and I'm still not smoking. Problem is, I'm almost better now, so I will be able to smoke in a day or so if I feel like it, but honestly I haven't felt the slightest inkling to smoke. I kinda feel like a dumbfuck though, because in 2 years of smoking, I've only ever made it 4 days without smoking before, and tonight I will be achieving my old record again. God though, I can smell things miles away, I swear to god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benadryl Brownie
Aug 18, 2005

Haway les gars

Alright. I'm in for this. I've said I was going to quit many times, but I want to make it happen. good luck guys!

«92 »