Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killy
Mar 15, 2007

Faster, pussycat, kill, kill!
quit since December. Miss it sometimes, but my wallet and my lungs thank me.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I smoked for 3 years, pack a day, quit while I dated this chick for 2 years and once we broke up I started again and was doing it for about 6 months. Decided to quit this time for myself and I've been smoke free since early December. I'm kind of cheating by using an e-cig but I use it maybe once a day and sometimes I just don't use it for days at a time.

During the 2 years I quit I thought about smoking almost every time I saw someone else smoking. This time it's not too bad but I still think about smoking when I am near smokers or when I'm having a bad day. I don't know how long it will take me to not want cigarettes ever again but I've tried a few puffs while drinking recently and it tastes gross in my mouth and I immediately don't want it anymore.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Yeah, I take mine off at night. The first time I quit with patches I don't think I slept properly for the first week. Now I take them off 1-2 hours before I go to bed and put it on first thing in the morning. It makes a world of difference.

I actually enjoy it, since typically I never remember my dreams. Even a remembered nightmare is kind of cool once it's over.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

BeigeJacket posted:

Are there any ex-smokers out there who chained as much as I do? Does quantity of cigarettes smoked affect the difficulty of quitting?

I smoked at least a pack per day 13 years. I was about 2 packs per day for a few years, could hit 3 packs per day at times, and when I was rolling my own, I used high nicotine tobacco (St. James perique) in looong papers and did about 10 of those per day. I cold turkeyed and had no real problems. Going to hit 3 years in a little over 2 months.

Cromulent posted:

I dream about it a lot though. At least once a week I'll have a dream about relaxing with a cig, only to think "poo poo! I quit! I shouldn't be doing this." and then I wake up and am relieved that it was just dream.

I believe that having cig smoking nightmares means you have successfully quit. I got them regularly for about 18 months after I stopped smoking. I still get them very rarely. I think the feeling of guilt you get in the dream reflects your desire to be quit, and waking up to the relief that you haven't reinforces your will power to resist nicotine.

OniKun
Jul 23, 2003

Cheap Mexican Labor since the late 80's
I quit in October and months later I've never felt healthier in my entire life. Pack a day smoker to cold turkey.

You can do it, don't worry. It's not hard. Reading Whyquit.com every time I had a craving was honestly a big help, a lot of the articles there make sense.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I didnt buy a pack all of December, then quit cold turkey on New years. I only smoked around 5 - 10 a day, but I just wanted you guys to know this thread helped me. Knowing other people are trying to quit really made me feel like it was the right thing to do. I miss it on a daily basis but if I wait a few minutes the urge passes.

gently caress that noise. I'd rather spend that money on alcohol.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Two whole days and change without smoking. Apparently, after 48 hours there is no nicotine left in the body, and the ability to taste and smell is greatly iproved. I haven't had any really, really bad cravings yet, but I do find it hard to stay still or concentrate on anything. I also seem to be highly oral. I have went through a fair amount of carrots, gum and sunflower seeds.

Soon I have to mosey on down to the university (a 20 minute walk, no less) where, upon arrival, I shall partake in the drinking of the coffee, sans cigarettes. Cigarette after having a cuppa in the university coffee shop has been one of my most important smoking rituals, so this is going to be sort of a test for me. After coffee, I have to try to get some work done in the computer lab because it seems to be nigh impossible to get anything done at home in this state. I don't know if it's normal, but I'm sort of looking forward to a challenge.

As an afterthought, I have saved only an estimated 2€ (2.70$) with cigarettes not smoked. I have, however, spent 1.50€ (2$) on carrots, 1€ (you can figure these yourself) on gum and 3.15€ on coffee. I also plan to give away an almost full pouch of tobacco (3.95€) I have lying around. So, total cost of quitting so far: 7.60€

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

My biggest problem is that I'm a fidgety bastard when I smoke, when I'm not, I'm intolerable with my bullshit.

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009
Decided last night, that today would be my first day as a non smoker.

20 YEARS of this bullshit is enough.

Sick of stinking, paying $13 loving dollars a pack, and feeling like poo poo.

Man, gently caress smoking.

I'm doing this poo poo cold turkey. I'm one stubborn rear end in a top hat, that is never going to smoke again.

PulsarD
Aug 7, 2003
Premium
Biscuit Hider
2-3 packs a day for 17 years. Quit Oct 31st 2004. Haven't even had a drag off a cig since. Weaned down to ultra lights, then went on the full strength patch, which gave me much more nicotine than I was used to with the ultra lights so I never had any cravings. Took two months of the patch till I stopped using them as well.

About the only thing that's kept me from not starting up again is the thought of going through those first two weeks of quitting again. Those really are the worst, especially the morning drive to work without a cig.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!
I've been off nicotine for 4 weeks and 4 days now, after nearly two years of heavy smoking (30 or more rollies a day) that followed three years of on and off cigarette smoking (a lot of that was around college exams). Today's the first time since the first week where I've felt bad cravings and I'm not sure why, but I'm not tempted to smoke at all (because I don't want to lose).

After developing a very heavy cough that just kept getting worse around Christmas I decided to stop killing myself. The last night was a marathon session of cigarettes and 30 Rock, so that I wouldn't think my "last cigarette" was anything special. From there it was cold turkey, a lot of :420: and a weekend of Modern Warfare 2 as a distraction.

Going back to work on Monday was hard, especially since a lot of my personality there was built around my smoking, so I felt the need to keep the fact that I quit quiet for the first few days.

I've gotten mangled drunk about a half dozen times since I quit and haven't smoked once, though I've had a few herbal cigarettes every now and then. However, they taste like rear end and just really aren't worth it without the nicotine, so I've pretty much dropped them at this stage too.

The only problems I've had are not being able to use going out for a smoke as an excuse to leave a room and I've been eating more too. Still, I can breath now and that cough has finally gone away. Take that smoking!

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
I've been planning on quitting for a while now, but just 'never gotten round to it.' So far in the past 6 months I've attempted to quit twice, and each time I went approximately two weeks before lighting up again.

The first time I quit I just told myself "gently caress this poo poo." My then girlfriend made a bet with me that I couldn't go two weeks without smoking - I won the bet and then with the money, bought some cigarettes. There was no reward other than the bet, which is why I think it didn't work. Those two weeks weren't even good, they were just a "only three more days until I can smoke again" kind of thing - Don't rely on this to quit smoking, it won't work - You'll get your reward and then go back to smoking again.

The second time I had finished reading Alan Carr's EASYWAY over Christmas and told myself that come the chime of Midnight on New Years Eve, I'd start a smokefree 2010. I had three cigarettes left at the chime and snapped them all, popped my lighter and that was that. Then the following week I had an exam and the rest is history. It didn't work.

Since then though I've just been building up to quit. This Thursday is going to be my quit date. I've decided that I'm going to push myself as hard as I can with this. I'm at work all day on Thursday and I'm at work tomorrow as well, and then Thursday night I plan on going out clubbing with some friends. Any cigarettes I have left over from tomorrow I'll smoke on my breaks at work on Thursday, and after they're gone then that's it.

I've told myself I don't need them, they do nothing for me and I can have just as good a time without going outside in the middle of the night every now and then for a smoke - I don't need to, there's no fun outside. I've put a gigantic X on my calendar to mark the day, and then after that that's it.

I'm spending this weeks pay on some cheap running shoes and some tracksuit bottoms, and I'm gonna go for my first run in three years on Friday to work off my hangover, and begin building up my fitness for when I leave for University in September so I can join a football (soccer) team there, or a Badminton team or something - Just another place where I can meet people and stuff. I know I can't be my best at this so long as I smoke. So basically, I'm just building up as much motivation as I can to get to where I want to be.

Wish me luck guys, and Godspeed to every single one of you wanting to quit as well, either now or in the future. You and I don't need them - The mantra I'm gonna stick to.

e; failed miserably.

iTrust fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2011

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Ok, I'm an idiot..maybe. I successfully quit smoking using the patch and sticking with the recommended plan. The first stage patch is unbelievably strong and takes quite a bit to get used to but I stuck it out and got through all the stages.

I was good but my problem is that I enjoy smoking too much to quit altogether. I was a pack and a half smoker for fourteen years and when they went up $6 a pack, I felt that was good enough reason to quit (other than obvious health reasons). So I did. Now however, I have a pack of smokes and so far have been smoking two a day...so, I can still put them down for good and not have withdrawals but I just love to have a smoke now and again. Has anyone ever been successful at keeping this limit down without going back to being a full time smoker? or am I just kidding myself?

I went about 3 months without buying my own pack and just bumming one or two smokes a week while drinking beer. If I want to quit full time I think I'm going to have to give up drinking for about six months or so. As soon as I've got a beer or a drink in me the craving is too great.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Mad Monk posted:

Has anyone ever been successful at keeping this limit down without going back to being a full time smoker? or am I just kidding myself?

Anecdotally, there are some people who can maintain an infrequent and low level smoking habit for years, but someone who smoked a pack and a half for 14 years isn't one of them. You may be able to maintain this state for a while, but the nature of addiction means that you'll eventually give in and start smoking full time again.

If it helps, I found it easier to just quit outright. Less to think about, less to manage mentally, etc.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Yeah, that's what I figured just needed to hear it from someone. Looks like I'll try to give up drinking for a spell.

red race riot
Mar 31, 2010
A lot of awesome advice here guys, much thanks!

Woke up today, broke and out of cigarettes and decided to go ten days without one starting today, which will hopefully encourage me to quit totally. As a pack a day smoker, I've tried to quit many many times but thanks to the support of an awesome, patient girlfriend I feel like I can be on top of it this time.

I'm so tired of using "I'm cutting down" as an excuse for not quitting, and feeling really good about it!

B-Rad
Aug 8, 2006
I'm in. I've soaked so many packs of Marlboro blues under my sink in frustration, I should have quit a long time ago.

Its so difficult though because I'm in China and they smoke everywhere here. They even smoke in the goddamn gym.

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009
Quick update:

30h+ smokefree

About the 12 hour mark got the jitters, cold sweats.

18 hours or so had a little breakdown and a cry.

Day 2 started off feeling not so crazy.

I'm so going to beat smoking.

YOU can do this. YOU just really have to want it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's kind of funny how slip-ups can strengthen your desire to quit. I tried to quit March 13th, and made it 4.5 days before a clusterfuck of personal drama weakened my resolve. Also, I was only partially doing it for myself - I was also trying to quit for a woman. But those 4.5 days of being smoke-free made me realize how much I actually did want to quit because I realized how miserable smoking was making me feel. So I quit again on April 3rd, this time for myself and only for myself. I made it until today. I'm not sure why - perhaps because I just had to know for sure if I wanted to quit - but I caved in and bought a pack and had two cigarettes over lunch. Now I know for sure that I want to quit 100%. It was disgusting and definitely not worth it. I threw away the rest of the pack. Hopefully the withdrawal symptoms don't hit full force again, but if they do I know I can handle it because I've already been through the worst two times over. I'm still kind of amazed that I ever picked up the habit in the first place (I started when I was 22) - it's just so loving gross. Good luck to anyone else that is trying to quit. Try to remember how many horrible things smoking does to you and how pathetically meager the benefits of smoking are.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Four cigarettes left and 2 hours or so before I head out. Running out in the middle of a night out is never going to feel as good as it does tonight.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I ran out last night and I'm trying really really hard not to go to the store. I don't know if I'm ready to quit yet. I hate smoking and I only do it because I'm addicted. But I'm also really emotional right now because my gf left me a couple days ago so I don't know if this is the best time to try this.

Mr.Graves
Jul 23, 2007

by T. Finn
I took Champix for two weeks (last one on Friday, even though I'm supposed to keep taking it for another 10) and I had no side effects, and my cravings were next to nothing for at least the first day.

Stopped smoking on Thursday and I've found the cravings last only a few moments, then I eat some fresh fruit or chew gum. Seriously.. stock up on tons of fruit, it is awesome. Blueberries, bananas, peaches, apples, good stuff.

Haven't actually used anything else, but I read a bit of Carr's book a long time ago and I got the sense he was trying to say, "If you realize cigarette companies are just loving parasites who are capitalizing on your need to feel in control- or why your automatic response to everyone who tries to tell you to quit is a secret 'gently caress you, I'll smoke when I want'- then you can direct your pissed off-ness at quitting."

Yeah, so, 1-2 packs a day for 10 years, maybe it's the Champix but the cravings really aren't that bad and it's been 3 or so days. For me, I'm just eating a lot (but I'm on the low end of average BMI, so I'm not worried).

The actual hardest part wasn't the not smoking- it was getting over the mental build up that quitting was hard and this huge deal that I had to train for like it was some triathlon or something. But that was really all in my head. The only thing that was physically hard was that I just really liked smoking. I liked good tasting tobacco, or organic tobacco, not cigarette company poo poo. But I liked it enough to develop a cough.

Check out that Carr book- that and the Champix (I didn't even finish the Champix) did more to put me in the mindset that I could do it, and that was the biggest hurdle.

(Also, I gave myself a mantra: 'You keep sucking that tobacco dick and calling yourself a free man.' Which I said everytime I had a cigarette for the last week or so.)

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

On quit attempt number 4, day one. Should be easier with college done for the summer. I have some Nicorette lozenges to get me through day 1 and I'm cold-turkeying it the rest of the way.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885
Working on cutting down, I was never a very heavy smoker in the first place but that just sort of made me think - why am I even smoking in the first place? I was at around 7-8 cigs a day, give or take, and I'm down to 3-4 a day now.

I'm thinking of getting some of the nicorette gum for the evenings as if I have the evening free that's when I tend to 'splurge' on smoking and will easily double my intake, but I turn into a cranky, evil loving bastard if I want a smoke.

Do they taste like poo poo? I'd go for one of the e-cigs but I really don't have the cash to spare at the moment (like I said I don't smoke a pack a day or anything so it's not really a matter of 'it will save me so much money' I mean it would eventually, but we're talking 4-5 months of smokes).

I just don't want to start yelling at my fiance, basically.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

4 week mark. Had a few cigarettes at the bar on Saturday and no relapse the following day :)

Corley
Feb 2, 2010

Amish Retard posted:

I'm thinking of getting some of the nicorette gum for the evenings as if I have the evening free that's when I tend to 'splurge' on smoking and will easily double my intake, but I turn into a cranky, evil loving bastard if I want a smoke.
I recommend the lozenges. In my opinion they are 100% better than the gum.

taint massage
Jun 13, 2008

We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
15 days cold turkey without a cigarette or any nicotine. I hate being a non-smoker and didn't want to quit in the first place (had to for a minor surgery) and I'll probably start again once I'm all healed up. Maybe not though, I guess we'll see.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Phisty posted:

I recommend the lozenges. In my opinion they are 100% better than the gum.

Oh hell yeah that sounds up my alley. I could try both I suppose, except that'd get a bit pricey.

MattyRamone
May 4, 2009

Over 46 Million Followers
All of this is ball park at best.
15 weeks, 2 days, 1 hour, 29 seconds since my last cigarette.

2,676 cigarettes not smoked and I have saved $602.10 not counting drunk binges that I can't even count.

Quit cold turkey. It honestly was not that bad if you are really ready to quit. I smoked for 8 years pack a day minimum.

I used to be one of those guys who would hate to hear about quitting, but once I did it has been the best decision I ever made. I don't even have cravings anymore, the fact that my moods and energy stabilized has more than made up for anything. When I get home from playing pool I can not even explain how bad I smell, it is horrific. I never even noticed up until I quit.

Retrievil
Dec 11, 2004

Lionbacker
Smoked for 25 years and never even tried to quit.

It's been 7 days now since I started using snus, and I haven't even had an urge to smoke. No withdrawal symptoms at all.

Yeah you can argue that snus is probably not great for you either, but it's several magnitudes less harmful than smoking. I'll do snus for a while and slowly wean myself off it by dropping down to weaker portions every few weeks or so.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I've posted this before, but it really helps to quit
[video type="youtube"]/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DkzoagsjlUv4[/video]

EDIT: looks like embedding doesn't work. Here's the link http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch%3Fv%3DkzoagsjlUv4

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

After quitting cold turkey 5 months 21 days ago; I'm still going strong!

loverboy
Apr 16, 2008

I've seen more dicks in this business than a gay porn star, and dead vagina is bad vagina.

Hilroy posted:

Decided last night, that today would be my first day as a non smoker.

20 YEARS of this bullshit is enough.

Sick of stinking, paying $13 loving dollars a pack, and feeling like poo poo.

Man, gently caress smoking.

I'm doing this poo poo cold turkey. I'm one stubborn rear end in a top hat, that is never going to smoke again.

Jesus loving christ, what do you guys smoke?! I smoke Turkish Royals, great cigs, kind of light, $5.65 a pack. Hell, even Luckies are only $8.00, which is loving outrageous.

I've tried quitting a few times cold turkey, but the headache always breaks my will. Once I kill this pack, I'm gonna go buy a box of Nicorette.

For the record, I smoke cigs, pipe, and cigars, I snus, vape, chew, and snuff. I want to quit the whole pile of 'em.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Slimy Hog posted:

After quitting cold turkey 5 months 21 days ago; I'm still going strong!

Almost 4 months for me!
I hardly ever miss it and save a shitload of money but um, I've started to smoke weed a lot more. It's to do with rolling joints and the act of smoking I think. Still, better than a pack a day? :)

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money
I love to smoke, but I've had enough of this poo poo. Too much god drat money. This is probably going to be attempt #4 for me in the last two years, but it's time to try and stop for good. I had my last cigarette at roughly midnight, smoking it down with it's good friend whisky.

It's been three hours and I can feel my tongue doing weird things. There's sleep soon, and hopefully, I won't be an insufferable prick when I wake up.

Avidav
Apr 5, 2010
The smell is the worst, about a week ago I got enough and threw my nearly full pack of smokes out the window. Haven't smoked since, and I'm not going to. I still have one cigarette in my drawer to test myself everyday: i could smoke but i wont!

gently caress you cigarettes.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

loverboy posted:

Jesus loving christ, what do you guys smoke?!

I'm from PA, so I see the prices that you posted as accurate ($6 and change for a pack of Camels after tax). New York has some ridiculous amount of tax on them, making them almost $10 the last time I was up there. I'm sure many countries that don't have such vast tobacco fields also pay more for their squares.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Avidav posted:

I still have one cigarette in my drawer to test myself everyday: i could smoke but i wont!

gently caress you cigarettes.

Haha glad i'm not the only one, when I gave up this time (for the last time) back in August, I had hundreds of cigarettes all over the house, so I gave them all to my GF, but for some reason had to keep a few packs strategically round the house. I cleared them out in February but had to leave one last packet in the Kitchen "just in case", that has now gone so too have the Electronic Cigarettes ( without which I wouldn't have quit) but severing that last tie was more difficult than actually quitting. :iiam:

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
First time posting in one of these threads. I think a lot of my habit came from my mother. Not in the usual need-to-emulate way, but in the way that I associated the smell of cigarettes with love and protection. Whenever she would comfort me as a child, I would smell them. I don't blame her, but I don't doubt she blames herself. She quit about 6 years ago. I've smoked regularly for about 12 years, probably a pack a day for 8 of them. So far I've kept my 4.5yr old son from seeing me ever smoke, but even if I can keep that up, I've already exposed him to that same association of the smell with someone he trusts and who loves him. I can't do that any more. I quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilroy
Jul 31, 2009

loverboy posted:

Jesus loving christ, what do you guys smoke?! I smoke Turkish Royals, great cigs, kind of light, $5.65 a pack. Hell, even Luckies are only $8.00, which is loving outrageous.

I've tried quitting a few times cold turkey, but the headache always breaks my will. Once I kill this pack, I'm gonna go buy a box of Nicorette.

For the record, I smoke cigs, pipe, and cigars, I snus, vape, chew, and snuff. I want to quit the whole pile of 'em.

Communist Canada cigarrette prices.

My brand used to be Dumaurier.

15 days smoke free, and ~$195 saved.

gently caress you cigarretes!

• Locked thread