Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I quit in May of 2009, and made it all the way to thanksgiving break. I kind of cheated by dipping when stressed last semester (about a can a week) although I was completely tobacco free all summer. Drinking with friends back home is what did me in I think. I smoked all thanksgiving break, then managed only to have a few for the last 3 weeks of school. I broke down and bought a pack before my finals then said gently caress it and I've been smoking all winter break. I haven't had one today because I've been too hungover and at home with my parents. I might keep it up, or I might smoke for the next week and stop when I get back to school. I already have plans to start working out again and not many of my friends at school smoke.

Honestly quitting in May was pretty easy. I used the poverty method. Using dip once I got back to school was my big mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Insomnia posted:

Question. After smoking a little more than a pack a day for 4.5 years is there any chance I did permanent damage to my lungs?

Google isn't helping me right now. :(

You might live another 10 years if you're lucky.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Like almost every other smoker on the planet, I'm 3 days into my attempt to quit. I guess this is my 3rd serious attempt. Last time I quit was when I moved out of town for a summer internship last year. Moving into a new situation with different people, different surroundings, and different routines made it easier I think. I made it 9 months.

This time it was more of a "Well everyone else is quitting for new years, I guess I will too" thing. St Louis also just passed an indoor smoking ban that should make it easier. Saturday I didn't miss it because I was so sick and hungover. Sunday I snapped at a few people at work. Today I also snapped at a few co-workers, but I think about 50% of that was because I work with a bunch of retards who I really do hate regardless of my nicotine situation.

I've had a sinus infection/cold/cough since a few days before my last cig, so that has probably masked some of the withdraw.

Reasons to quit:
-I can't wait to smell springtime.

-Tired of smelling like an ashtray.

-Tired of pretending I don't smoke when around my parents. They know but have never confronted me and I'm sick of the bullshit and sneaking around.

-I am so bad at talking to girls that repulsing a good percentage of them by smoking is the last thing I need.

-I have not had more than $500 to my name in over a year so I really do not need to spend $150 a month on cigs.

-I hate coughing poo poo up.

-I am way too out of shape for a 23yr old with a healthy weight.

-For the next few weeks I can justify being a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone I encounter with "Sorry, I just quit smoking."

Goddamn that last cigarette was tasty.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

49 days in after a 4 year pack a day habit.

I had a dream last night I smoked a cigarette. I woke up feeling terrible and extremely guilty.

Still haven't had a single smoke yet. gently caress em, I'm done. It's pretty easy now but man that dream was weird as poo poo.

I'm 18 days in and I've had a bunch of those dreams. It really sucks.

It has gotten easier. I've gone from thinking "I NEED A CIGARETTE" all day to thinking "A smoke would be nice right now" a few times a day. I've been to smoke filled bars a few times without any problems.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
It's been 23 days for me and I'm still being an rear end in a top hat to lots of people. Oh well. Other than that I'm doing fine.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

8ender posted:

Last time after about a week of smoking maybe one or two of the fakes a day I completely lost interest. Really I'd still be a non-smoker to this day but I made a really big mistake a few years back and bummed a smoke off a friend. That restarted my addiction so fast that I had bought a pack by the end of the day. Now I know, never a single smoke ever again.

This mistake ended one or two of my previous quitting attempts. I've learned that as a (former?) smoker I can't have just one. Most people take several attempts to successfully quit, but each failure teaches you something I think.

Are there any cigar smokers here trying to get off the cigs? I enjoy a good cigar every once in a while (few times a month maybe) and would like to continue to do so in the future. I know they're not good for me but they're better than cigs and I'm willing to deal with the health risks. I figure that I should be nicotine free for at least a few months before I ease back into cigars. Has anyone else managed to casually smoke cigars after quitting cigs? The last time I "quit" I made it about a month before I had a cigar, then got into dip for a while, and was back on the butts within a few months. I'd like to avoid the same mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
A friend of mine tried Chantix. He quit for about a year but started back up again. It also made him mental while he was on it.

I'm at about 5 months without a cig. I quit cold turkey for new years pretty much spontaneously after all the people I was partying with made it their resolution. So far this is the longest I've gone without a cigarette since I started probably 7 years ago. As far as I can tell the best way to quit is to just man the gently caress up and quit.

• Locked thread