Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.
I need to quit. My husband and I plan to try to have kids next year, and I need to quit well in advance of that. It's just so freaking HARD. I think at my next Dr. appointment I'll ask about Chantix.

I read Carr's book and yeah, it felt like a huckster sales job combined with telling me things I already knew. I did everything he said in the book, and made it three days before caving and smoking again. I just gave the book to Goodwill yesterday because I don't really feel that it did me any good. I can understand the things he was telling me and still want to smoke...

I'm going to try to make an appointment with my doctor for the week after Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I'm quitting as soon as I'm out of cigarettes. I started Chantix a week and a half ago, so I've gotten up to the full dose now, and I haven't had any major problems with it. I have some funky dreams in which I'm having sex with people I don't want to have sex with, but other than that it's been pretty neutral mentally. My doctor did warn me to have my husband keep an eye on my mood, especially for irrational anger, while I'm on it.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I'm taking Chantix and also have depression, and don't seem to be having terrible side effects. I've got some crazy dreams and my sex drive went out the window, but other than that I've been fine. (Hope the sex drive comes back when I stop taking it!)

Wellbutrin is the same thing as Zyban, though, the other stop-smoking drug. My doctor basically gave me the choice between Chantix, the more effective drug that might worsen depression, or Wellbutrin, which doesn't work as well but might improve my depression. I chose the Chantix, and have been taking it for a month as of today.

Today is the first day that I've made it through without a cigarette, but it didn't even occur to me that I hadn't had one until about 7:30 p.m. I've just gotten to where I don't really crave them anymore, and if I'm doing something I don't think to go outside and have one. In the past two weeks, I've smoked a total of about two packs' worth of cigarettes compared to smoking a pack a day when I started Chantix. The real issue for me is being in the car - if I'm driving it's really, really hard to not smoke.

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

My last cigarette was just before midnight on New Year's Eve and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I get cravings every once in a while, but nothing I can't overcome.

Chantix dreams continue, but other than that I'm doing great!

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

Oh, by the way, if anyone wants to switch to e-cigs as a way to quit I've got one I'm not using anymore that I'd be willing to sell for relatively cheap. I paid about $100 for the initial setup and would sell it for $50. It's two e-cigs (Yeti) in black with blue LED, a full bottle of 6mg Camel flavor, and about eight carts, half of which are Marlboro high nicotine and half of which are empty for use with the liquid. PM me if you're interested or find my thread in SA Mart.

• Locked thread