Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MintSpy
Apr 29, 2008
I just want to say good luck, we're all counting on you...

November 30th will be my 3 year anniversary of quitting from 20 a day for 8 years. Here's how:

1) I used the inhalor/inhalator/whatever the technical term is - plastic cigarette with cartridges. Bought a starter pack from Boots (uk chemist/drug store). Would pop outside work for a smoke, and alternate drags between the two sources. And on each successive smoke break, reduce one, increase the other. By the end of the day I had a lit cigarette burning down like a slow Mission: Impossible fuse in one hand, while the plastic teat of sin in the other fed my craving.

2) PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS PISS POOR PERFORMANCE: The 7 p's. I got several sources of nicotine and kept them on my mantlepiece so they were in very clear view - gum, patches, inhaler cartridges.

They are all very expensive and comparable with the price of regular smokes, right? True! And other people before you have had the same thing, quit, and been left with a pile of in-date but second hand merchandise. Therefore do what I did:

3) GO TO EBAY - GO NOW. Search for nicorette, nicotine gum, etc - make it a fun game to track down sources of your poison, bid snipe other wide eyed growling addicts. Get a big supply of sources of nicotine.

4) Promise yourself that you will use one source before the next, and the next, and the next, before you will have a smoke. I went inhaler, patches (big middle small), gum (4mg, 2mg). Maybe try those stage cigarettes - honey rose. Taste so godawful you wont want to smoke.

5) DO NOT BE AFRAID TO STAY ON THE GUM - it is preferable to inhaling the smoke. I took it very slowly, and was still using the weakest gum, maybe 5 or 6 pieces a day, 6 or 7 months later. By this time it was simply a habit, more than a genuine craving. I stopped. And because I had removed the physical action of using anything cigarette-like, once I stopped and had my very minimal cold turkey (more of a semi-frigid budgie), I did not just reach for the nearest stick of flammable lung candy.

quit ONCE. quit RIGHT.

very best of luck to you all its a brave thing you're doing, but you're taking control and that means you're not a puppet. Or muppet.

edit: That was only 6 P's. I forgot PULSATING

MintSpy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread