Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh hey, check it out, a quit smoking thread.

I smoked for about 10 years and quit cold with no medication or scaling back in mid-September. I have hardly even thought about smoking after the first month but I'm suddenly starting to think about it a lot again. I'm kinda lucky though that I get the strongest cravings when I'm sitting around the computer at night doing nothing. If I had the same level of cravings during the day while out driving then I probably would have bought a pack by now. The original plan was to quit smoking until I was out of debt but that isn't happening as quick as I would have liked(gently caress you steam sales!!!), so maybe I'll just stick with it when everything is paid off.

Good luck to everyone that's just quitting with new years. If you just quit then I advise stopping by a gym to burn off energy. That's how I got through the first 2 weeks... and pulled a groin muscle. That reminds me, remember to warm up first if you haven't been to the gym in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm just about to hit 8 months with no cigarettes. That, and the fact that I've started going to the gym a few times each week has me feeling better than I have in years.

Now I just need to cut back on the beer.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

Why do all these smoking advice columns state that cravings are best ignored as they will subside within 3-5 mins? Those cravings last at least half an hour for me, and are distinctly unpleasant. I've eaten and drunk like a pig today in a massive bout of over-compensation.

I am three days without a cigarette, the longest period for over 10 years. I'm fantasising about buying myself a big cigar to celebrate some totemic milestone,(lets say 1 month smoke free), is this a really, really bad idea born of some feverish nicotine-less dream state or a well justified, and comparitively, harmless reward?

Large cigar is probably a bad idea.

Do you have a hookah bar in your area? I still hit up the one around here every once in a while since I quit cigarettes. I find that to be the better option.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I'm a couple weeks away from the one year mark since I quit and I haven't felt this good in at least a decade. I gained a pretty significant amount of weight right after quitting, but I started going to the gym to counter that. Now I'm as fit as I ever was in high school and I hardly think about cigarettes anymore. Quitting also freed up a lot of money. With the money I'm saving I can afford to go out somewhere nice to eat once more per week if I want, or I can waste it on steam deals or something.

gently caress ya

• Locked thread