Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
I started smoking at 14 and stopped smoking last year aged 31. I am still a potential smoker, I think you are always a potential smoker even when you have stopped smoking. I still miss that first smoke of the day, the nicotene infusion warming the bloodstream, that shiver as the fix hits home.

A number of things led to me deciding to kick the bastard weed, including:

* a desire to save some money - I was spending at least £250 /month on tobacco, 30 or 40 cigarettes a day.

* a desire to feel normal again. Once I realised that each cigarette just stops the craving for nicotene temporarily, and sets up the timer until the next craving, the insanity of what I was doing really hit home.

* Jesus the loving smell!

* I wanted to enjoy a meal, a journey, a film, without craving a smoke like some smacked up junkie. These bastards ruined countless events for me over the years because all I could think about was getting my cig on. Cunts.

* I have a son and I want to live long enough to see him grow up.

Cold turkey was the way for me. I read the Allan Carr book, and a lot of what he talked about made sense, I can highly recommend it. If you remember you're not quitting anything or giving anything up, you're kicking a drug addiction, the whole process becomes easier.

After a year I have noticed that I enjoy food more, I am fitter, considerably richer, and generally a happier person all round. gently caress you, smoking!

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Keep up the good work goons. Remember winners don't smoke. :c00l:

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Hour 21 so far, I quit before in this thread but then started again and was back up to 20-30 smokes a day until yesterday. I have decided to quite booze too as I was drinking too much. I like a challenge.

Edit: 3 days in still going great - I'm reading the Allen Carr book and it makes total sense, although I find his style a little dumbed-down.

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 3, 2011

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

I'm now about a week in. No smokes and no booze. I am sleeping lots, am in a great mood and I'm really horny. I've saved about £70 too.

I had a gruelling and stressful job interview yesterday, and when it was over and I was walking back to the car, you know how as a smoker you light up after a tense time and get that rush? I forgot that I wasn't a smoker and went to light up. After about 5 seconds I realised my folly and had a good laugh about it.

gently caress you smoking, you're a stupid rear end in a top hat. :smug:

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Two weeks in: fags smoked = 0, booze boozed = 0

Hell yeah

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Day 20: Fags 0 Booze 0

Everything is rosy at the moment - however I have a big night out planned on Friday where I will be drinking, this will be a real test of my mettle.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Bah, I stopped ages ago then started again, but now I've been 15 days clear, this time forever. So sick of being a junkie. Did anyone else notice their mental state get much clearer when they stopped smoking? I'm the least depressed I have been for years at the moment. Perhaps because I no longer feel guilty or have to hide my secret from loved ones, I loathe myself less? Stupid loving smoking, it's a subtle trap that won't get me again. Keep it up goons!

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Come on goons you can do it! I've been smoke-free for about three months now. I found I also had to kick the booze completely or drunk me would try to get me to smoke. So now I'm about £400 a month richer and much fitter, and I've lost a stone in weight :smug:

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

XK posted:

Some very powerful words

Sir that is a beautifully eloquent post; thank you. I'll add that when I stopped smoking, I started fighting the cravings head on, battling that feeling of numbness and a mouth full of saliva with a gently caress. you. to the murderer who wanted to kill me. Pretty soon I would actually look forward to the cravings because I knew I would be victorious. The cravings turned out to be loving pussies, they went away and never came back.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Just put £1000 I've saved by not smoking into my son's bank account. :slick:

You can do it goons

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Been clean for about 6 months but I'm off on a lads' holiday this weekend and I am already thinking of excuses why I will be sitting on the terrazza drinking an espresso and sucking down a marlboro. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

So I hosed up. Went about a year smoke free then some very bad stuff happened in my life and I had a bit of a breakdown. Been smoking 20+ a day for the last few months, in bursts of 4 or 5 in a row. I will literally stand there and chain smoke 5 cigarettes in a row. WTF man. I've also been drinking at least a bottle of wine every single night, for months.

I could see myself falling off the edge so joined the gym a few weeks ago and have been going 2 or 3 times a week and really pushing myself. It's working despite the abuse I have been giving my body; I have lost flab and gained muscle. Today I threw out the fags and the house is free from booze.

I am done with this poo poo; wish me luck goon sirs.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

48hrs in: Cigarettes 0.
House: Clean.
Balls: Empty.

Off to the gym to beast myself.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

72 hours in: Cigarettes 0.

~60 fags not smoked = £21 ($32 USD)

Really hammered myself at the gym last night. Exercise seems to really be helping me.

I slept from 11pm right through until 9am this morning.

I am reborn

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

4 and a half days in: Cigarettes 0:

Had a couple of glasses of wine tonight

No need to smoke

gently caress you smoking I have done you.

How you like them apples

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

1 week clean today :toot:

According to my tracker, 147 fags not smoked, a saving of £51.73!

I feel much better, almost as if I have stopped poisoning myself.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

2 weeks in today - no cigarettes! I've saved ~£100 (~$150 USD) already and apart from the occasional bout of tiredness early on, it's been pretty straightforward.

I've been exercising a lot and eating well, and I think this has helped enormously. The most difficult part has been disassociating smoking cigarettes with parts of my day, but once I had a handle on this it wasn't too bad.

I can really smell smokers a mile off now, they loving stink like poo poo.

Also my depression has lifted, WTF

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 22, 2013

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Three weeks clean today :toot: -

Fags not smoked: 422
Money saved: £147.96 (228 USD)

Smell and taste have returned. Lungs are feeling clear. I feel loving great. Even my loving boners are better.

Come on goons, we can do this!

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

One whole month clean, £200 saved, I feel loving great. Stop smoking goons, it's the best thing you'll ever do.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

5 weeks clear; £244.73 saved.

Feeling great still, although had a particularly lucid dream a few nights back where I was smoking. Woke up feeling like poo poo until I realised it was just a dream and then was all like "haha gently caress you brain!" If there's anything I'm struggling with it's the lack of punctuation in my life now - like when I finish a particularly grueling piece of work or difficult task I like to take some time to reflect; smoking filled this reflective time perfectly.

But yeah gently caress off smoking, you're dead to me now.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

50 day check in :toot: - feeling brilliant, I do still think about smoking occasionally but as soon as I tell my brain to stop being a wanker it goes away. Also, £355 saved!

I took my son to the safari park last week. A couple of hours journey there, spent all day adventuring, a couple of hours journey back. I enjoyed every minute of it. If I had been a smoker the day would have been ruined, because deep down we all know how all-pervading it is. You're not enjoying whatever it is you're doing, you're waiting for it to finish so you can nip off for a smoke. I observed the smokers loitering at the designated smoking points, ostracised, outcast, lepers of society and literally a dying breed. None of them looked happy. gently caress smoking.

quote:

Wish me luck-- I have a feeling this is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done.

Without trying to be all Carr-y and preachy ex-smoker rear end in a top hat, honestly it won't be. It will be one of the best things you have ever done. Good luck goon sir!

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Tychtrip posted:

A startling amount of people tell me (and it's evident in this thread, too) that joining a gym and exercising can really help. I might just do that.

Do this - the difference it made for me was incredible.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Black Cat posted:

Reason 1: It tires you out. When you'd normally want to punch a wall over something stupid you'll be too tired and just carry on. Lack of physical energy will dampen your emotional angst over not smoking. You'll be more calm and less likely to make rash decisions.

Reason 2: You'll sleep better and have a better appetite. Things that are good for you will be more important.

Reason 3: You'll feel more capable of handling poo poo. Its hard to explain but you'll be less frustrated at people for being rude to you or whatever and you'll take it less personal.

Reason 4: Exercise will both flush out the nicotine faster and release endorphins that you desperately need. Few people want to smoke while gasping for air and its nice to have a little break from the cravings. Also the "high" you'll get is also a nice reprieve. Something else besides smoking makes you feel good, imagine that.

Reason 5: You won't get fat and use that as an excuse to go back to smoking.

Reason 6: You'll actively feel you're body becoming stronger. Quitting can feel like all sacrifice and no gain unless you're exercising and then the improvements are almost too drastic to comprehend.

Reason 7: If you've ever been even semi-athletic, hopping on a treadmill and fully realizing what a weakling smoking has made you become might be enough motivation in itself to make you quit. Personally I'm fortunate enough to always look at least somewhat in shape. During my lowpoints some people would still compliment me by saying something like, "Yeah, this weekend I ran a 5k, I'm sure that's nothing to someone like you but its a big step to me" and I want to respond with, "Pfft, I get winded from walking fast, I'm actually a sickly piece of poo poo."

Reason 8: Hitting the gym will help to change your mindset from being a person who was happy to poison themselves to being a person who likes to take care of themselves. Now you've quit the fags and started working out, you'll find it much easier to eat healthily, drink less, take the stairs instead of the lift etc. You'll start looking good and feeling good. Your partner will find you more attractive. If you don't have a partner, potential mates will start flocking. It's a no-lose situation.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Boner Slam posted:

Quitting would decrease your stress level, so that would make those 7 weeks easier to cope with.

This, a thousand times this. Smokers are stressed all the loving time apart from when they are smoking. Now I don't smoke ( 64 days clear, £450 richer :smug: ) I'm so unstressed, it's like I'm a different person. Maaan.

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Days: :78
Hours: 02:54
Cigarettes not smoked: 1562 (79 packs)
Savings: £585.91
:getin:

Keep going goons, it just keeps getting better and better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

So I just came back from being on holiday in France for two weeks. Despite not touching tobacco for at least three months previously, I managed to smoke my way through at least 300 cigarettes. What a bell end. Anyway I'm back now, hitting the gym again tonight, eating proper food and no alcohol. No more fags :colbert:

Edit - I think it's a control thing. At home I control my exercise, eating and drinking habits very well, thus any instinct to smoke is easily controlled. My guard was down in France - lots of beers, no exercise, rich food. loving France.

plecostomus fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 29, 2013

• Locked thread