Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I started smoking around 18 and slowly built up a pack-a-day habit, I am quitting today.
I've always said I wanted to quit while I'm still young and about a year ago I promised a friend (also a goon) I'd stop when I turned 25. That became 2010 (I turned 25 in September) because I'm a sneaky bitch but I turned in what remained of my last pack of cigarettes to him last night.

I'm completely unprepared and that's what worries me the most. Will I turn into She-Hulk after a day? Do I need to buy nicotine-gum? Maybe sunflower-seeds or lollipops so I have something to do with my hands?
My housemates are quitting as well, this should help with temptation but I'm afraid that if one of us falls off the wagon, everyone will.
I'm bookmarking this thread becaus I think I need all the help I can get. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Okay, day two without a cigarette and doing fine.
I went a little crazy yesterday but in a good way since I cleaned everything, did the dishes and the laundry in an effort to distract myself. I find that the hardest part is foregoing all the little cigarette rituals. Coffee without a cigarette, beer without a cigarette, no cigarette after dinner, that poo poo is killing me.

Other than that the cravings aren't too bad, I'm going out to buy sunflower-seeds so I have to something to fiddle with now. I've also sworn off joints for at least a month since I roll them with tobacco, just to be safe.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Day number three and, honestly, I thought it would be much worse. I've been munching on seeds and fruit and snapped at a housemate once or twice, other than that it's business as usual.

I even dreamed I lit a cigarette and immediately put it out after thinking: "Oh no, I've fallen off the wagon!" and "Ew, this tastes like poo poo". Last night I was at a club and when one of my smoker friends leaned in to talk to me she smelled loving foul.
Now I just have to keep going and maybe work some kind of exercise into my routine because there is no loving way I'm gaining weight after making a good choice for once. :colbert:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I'm at seven days now and doing fine.
My housemate did angrily accuse me of being a cranky bitch, I'm not sure where that came from but since he quit too I'm just going to assume he's feeling like a cranky bitch.
My cravings are still really light, just like a reflex at the times I normally would have a cigarette like after dinner or when opening a beer.

The most annoying thing has been not smoking at work. I work a boring office job where everyone smokes. We used to take smoke-breaks every hour to get away from our desks for a bit and staying behind on your own is no fun.
Yesterday I experimented with tagging along to have a coffee in the smoker's lounge and it didn't bother me in the least. I won't be doing it every smoke-break but it's nice to stretch my legs a couple of times a day and chat with my smoker-buddies.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Twenty days today, still no problems. :)

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
One month today. :D

One housemate has since relapsed and quit again, another is back to occasionally smoking, me and my other housemate are still going strong. Even though she thinks I'm cheating by continuing to smoke joints rolled with tobacco. I feel great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Slimy Hog posted:

After quitting cold turkey 5 months 21 days ago; I'm still going strong!

Almost 4 months for me!
I hardly ever miss it and save a shitload of money but um, I've started to smoke weed a lot more. It's to do with rolling joints and the act of smoking I think. Still, better than a pack a day? :)

• Locked thread