Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Smoked 2 packs a day for 13 years, stopped last week. It's really hard sometimes but it's getting easier. I've been taking the money spent on smokes and stuffing it into a shoebox, it's alarming how quickly that fund is growing. First time I've tried to quit and I've been using Nicoderm the entire time. Seems to really help minimize the physical urges. Mental stuff is a different story, I don't think I could have started this without a stress ball and a good attitude.

I don't see myself ever smoking again, I think the trick is to get angry about how much money you've spent on basically killing yourself over the years. Worked for me anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

Smoked 2 packs a day for 13 years, stopped last week. It's really hard sometimes but it's getting easier. I've been taking the money spent on smokes and stuffing it into a shoebox, it's alarming how quickly that fund is growing. First time I've tried to quit and I've been using Nicoderm the entire time. Seems to really help minimize the physical urges. Mental stuff is a different story, I don't think I could have started this without a stress ball and a good attitude.

I don't see myself ever smoking again, I think the trick is to get angry about how much money you've spent on basically killing yourself over the years. Worked for me anyways.

Quoting myself from six months ago. I barely even think about smoking anymore and sometimes it feels like I never did it at all. I don't feel tired all the time because its easier to get to sleep at night, my mouth doesn't feel like a sewer, I can do regular things like exercise and have sex for longer than 5 minutes without feeling like I'm going to die from lack of breath. The only time I ever get a craving is if I've had a really bad day at work but now I just go for a jog with some relaxing tunes or eat something bad. Quitting smoking is definitely one of the best things I've ever done for myself. Good luck fellas.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 2, 2010

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

frozenpeas posted:

Smoking once every 3 weeks isn't going to harm you. But how long do you think it will stay at that level?

It's way to early for me to be taking the high ground, but the way I see it is if you've truly quit smoking then you don't actually want to smoke anymore.

If you are spending your whole life preventing yourself from having a cig then you're just torturing yourself. Read the Carr book, identify why you want to quit and make the decision never to do it again.

Why, at this point, would a single cig be a treat? To me it would be a huge worry because I'd know that eventually it would lead to another...and another...and another.

This is just a form of self-bargaining. You're essentially rewarding yourself for good behavior. It cannot not last, failure is practically built into the process. Eventually you will have a bad day and not feel worthy of your reward but want it anyways, this will cause you to break down and buy a pack. Quitting smoking is easy(after the first few weeks) 99% of the time, its the 1% where your willpower happens to be low and temptation level is high.

I know people who can smoke socially, the difference is that they have never bought their own packs and only smoke due to social opportunity. If you have ever purchased your own pack of cigarettes and smoked them consistently, you can NEVER belong that group of people. There will always be some wiseass who pops in and says that he has done it for years and blah blah, don't worry, he'll be back in this thread eventually with a different tune :)

Anyways point is, don't bargain with yourself. It just leads to smoking again.

quote:

Yeah but how often?

I have a shower everyday because I like it/want to. Nothing to do with being addicted.

You can't compare a dependency with hygiene. It's all up to individual goals, if someone wants to be free of external dependencies that cost money then I suggest quitting entirely without any assistance beyond proven, timed methods. If money and the idea of going from one addiction to a dependency is fine then there are alternative methods like e-cigs. Personally I don't approve of them but thats simply because I wanted to quit smoking, not substitute smoking for something else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

RankWeis posted:

So, anyone got any advice with the increased hunger besides 'give into it'?

Drink water and exercise. Eating foods high in fiber helps a lot too, have an apple, muffin or whatever. Eat a salad before a meal, you'll be surprised how quickly it becomes habit forming. I used to never eat greens when I was a smoker, nowadays I eat a salad at lunch/dinner and get cranky if I can't. Have smaller portions and don't eat out, make everything yourself. It's a pain but it works and before you know it you're losing weight and saving money.

For some people though the effort to quit smoking is enough on its own without adding increased pressure related to diet. So if you're having trouble doing one or the other, just remember that being overweight is easily curable while cancer is not.

• Locked thread