Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Man I haven't smoked GBS since I was in high school...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I quit smoking... poo poo, it must be over two years now, I know it was in february but I don't remember which february.

Anyhow, the method that finally worked for me was the "Sickness and poverty" method--I got bronchitis that lasted for a week and then I was broke for another two weeks. By that point, I had been off long enough that my willpower easily overcame the urge to smoke (and when I gave in to the urge, I couldn't tolerate the smoke anymore).

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I quit smoking about two years ago, mostly with the help of the "sickness and poverty" method (I was too broke to buy cigarettes and had the flu for a week and a half, which was long enough to get me over the initial cravings)

Here are some tips I used to help me cut down before I finally quit:

Don't do anything else while you're smoking. When you have a cigarette, don't do it while doing anything else.

Make yourself jump through hoops to get your cigarettes. What I did was I would buy a pack and give them to my friend who also smoked, so that I had to go through her if I wanted a cigarette.

Don't finish your cigarettes, only smoke just enough to satisfy your craving and trash the rest.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

BubbleBobble posted:

I need to quit (the illegal stuff)

I ran out on the 5th or so this month (I explained this in some other thread), and I have no intention of buying any more anytime soon

how can I convince myself to give it up forever? :(
Why?

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

isaacsbot posted:

I have to agree with the Get Sick method.
Even more effective: the Get Sick And Also Have No Money method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

I really really wish someone would develop a strain of cannabis that tasted good and smoked smooth but didn't get you high.

I would much rather ditch cigarettes for weed, but weed is like kryptonite to me.

• Locked thread