Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I went hiking this weekend, and to my surprise, I could barely do it. It wasn't a very difficult trail, but man it felt like I was asthmatic getting up that mountain.

Bye bye cigarettes! 2 days so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I quit December 1st. Half pack a day ages 17 to 22. 5 years so they hadn't taken quite so evil a grip on me yet. Despite a short relapse at a bar one week in, I haven't had a single smoke. In the last week or so I've been out, been around people smoking constantly and haven't really felt the need to smoke, even.

The hardest part for me is the boredom. I smoked because I would get bored. Every 2 hours or so you get up from whatever you're doing and walk outside instinctively to smoke a cigarrette. At first I started doing pushups on the floor whenever I got ancy/bored for a cig, but now - a month in - it's started to go away. The last two weeks or so have been pretty easy and I don't have cravings very often. I've noticed that reading in the evening has a really pronounced effect on getting rid of the boredom smoke urges and during the day at the office a good walk around the office with a stretch cures me as well.

Good luck to the new years resolutioners! Cold turkey worked great for me, if it doesn't for you don't despair and don't give up - try something else!

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm sure lots of people have that problem. If you don't want to quit you're not going to. If the thought of every cigarette going in your mouth is slowly killing you isn't enough to sway you right now, then now probably isn't going to work for you.

Try again in a year?

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

What the Snap posted:

So I decided the take the plunge, I'm offically 12 hours into it and going strong!
Been about a pack a day for about 9 years.

The first 30 days are going to be completely awful. Once you're past that it only gets continuously easier. Whenever you feel temptation strike, Do Something Else Quickly.

Urge busting tips:

Going outside in the cold and not smoking
Not buying another loving pack, try not to bum
Do pushups when you need a boredom cig
Go make a sandwhich instead
Chew gum
Call someone on the phone to talk
Pick up a book
Use StumbleUpon only when you feel like you want a cigarette
Play games when you feel like a cigarette, instead of playing games and then smoking a cigarette

For me, it's all about finding something else to fill the time I would have spent smoking.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

49 days in after a 4 year pack a day habit.

I had a dream last night I smoked a cigarette. I woke up feeling terrible and extremely guilty.

Still haven't had a single smoke yet. gently caress em, I'm done. It's pretty easy now but man that dream was weird as poo poo.

• Locked thread