Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any ex-smokers out there who chained as much as I do? Does quantity of cigarettes smoked affect the difficulty of quitting?

I've been smoking for about 10 years and, unfortunately, have become a heavy smoker. Probably about 30-40 a day. I've tried quitting many times but have failed consistently as I find that when I go for more than 1-2 hours without a smoke I get an intense 'crawling' feeling in my forerms and become extremely agitated and start to freak out something rotten. I just can't seem to give the loving things up, even though they are ruining my health. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I tried to read the Allen Carr book and whilst his ideas are sound it really is a badly written peace of poo poo. Maybe it's because I've never had a reason to crack open one of these self help books, but its terribly patronising, just a series of two or three page chapters with lots of unctious "You can do it champ!" and "Cigarettes are POISON" platitudes. What I took from it was'

a) Cigarette addiction is primarily mental is nature.

b) You should always quit cold turkey.

Am I missing anything?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Why do all these smoking advice columns state that cravings are best ignored as they will subside within 3-5 mins? Those cravings last at least half an hour for me, and are distinctly unpleasant. I've eaten and drunk like a pig today in a massive bout of over-compensation.

I am three days without a cigarette, the longest period for over 10 years. I'm fantasising about buying myself a big cigar to celebrate some totemic milestone,(lets say 1 month smoke free), is this a really, really bad idea born of some feverish nicotine-less dream state or a well justified, and comparitively, harmless reward?

• Locked thread