Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Mount & Blade: Warband (MULTIPLAYER) is out! Grab it HERE!

Calradia is a land at war, offering great riches and even greater dangers to adventurers and mercenaries that flock to shed their blood on its soil. With courage and a strong sword, an unknown stranger can make a name as a warrior.

Latest changes:
------------------------
Version 1.104 changes:
* Fixed multi-player server list not being populated in some cases.
* Fixed game freezing on some systems when the monitor was set to a non-native resolution
* Fixed some textures being showed as black on some systems.

Version 1.103 changes:
* Added option to set couched-lance control to manual/automatic
* Fixed translation for Polish, Hungarian and Czech languages
* Fixed bug that caused the player lose his fiefs when he switched to another kingdom.
* Various other bug fixes.

How to find goons:
Vent Server: Info here
Steam Group: Mount&Goon
Coat of Arms:

LINKS
Mount & Blade Strategy Wiki
TweakMB (Quality single player mod)
Warband Mod Compendium

Prior thread

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ok this is the multiplayer for this game, right? I want to make sure I'm not really really tired and am reading this wrong.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Applied because holy poo poo this could be amazing

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Yeah I applied too. I got really loving good at Mount & Blade to the point where I play with handicaps now to make it interesting and challenging and If this is what I think it is it would be awesome to see if others are the same way.

And jousts. I can challenge people to a joust.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Is this still coming out Q1 2010 or whatever it was delayed to?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've played a fair bit of the multiplayer. As they keep polishing it and adding stuff to it, it keeps improving, and is pretty much a medieval cross between Counter-Strike and Battlefield, depending on the game mode. Very good fun, although some of the players are far too good and I often die without doing any damage.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Are people still getting into the beta? I applied a few weeks ago and got nothing, and I've owned M&B since it first went on sale for $5 or whatever it was :(

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Applied, I had no idea there was multiplayer M&B. This is gonna be amazing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
About the signup page itself; if we bought M&B via Steam is there a way to grab the cd key somehow from that? I love singleplayer M&B and I'm assuming people have a better chance of getting into the closed beta if we bought it.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 23, 2009

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Wait, is this an expansion to Mount & Blade or a stand-alone product?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
An expansion, although it may be a standalone expansion. It adds multiplayer and changes up the main singleplayer game by adding lots to it, apparently, but most of the singleplayer changes really scream expansion rather than pure standalone.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pierson posted:

About the signup page itself; if we bought M&B via Steam is there a way to grab the cd key somehow from that? I love singleplayer M&B and I'm assuming people have a better chance of getting into the closed beta if we bought it.
Go to your games tab in Steam, right click on M&B and select the CD key option.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
They let people in in waves apparently, I had applied, totally forgotten I applied, then saw the email sitting in my inbox and I was in. I think alot of goons got in around the same time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

So any more impressions? What are all the modes and such?

Lothar
Feb 2, 2004

ARRGH YOU'RE THE ONE THAT IS DOOMED TO SINK
Mount and Blade multiplayer is fun as hell. I am surprised it is not more popular...

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Its hella fun, just be prepared to die without ever swinging your sword once or doing any damage a lot of the time.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Davincie posted:

There's your average kind of team deathmatch mode where you have two sides and you fight and die and respawn. There's capture the flag, a siege mode, a kind of control-point-capturing mode, and a battle mode in which the objective is to destroy/defend siege equipment, and you only have one life. This is the most CS-like mode.

You pick an army and class (each round has two factions opposed, such as Swadians/Nords or Khergits/Rhodoks or whatever). Classes broadly split into cavalry, infantry, archer, although the Khergits have only two classes (lancer and horse archer), both mounted, though you can dismount. You have a certain amount of money to spend on equipment although you start off with default equipment too. Equipment is different for each class and for each faction - Vaegirs have bows and Swadians have crossbows, for instance. You earn money through kills and also through dying I think and maybe through round victories - your teammates' kills add a tiny bit to your money.

It works pretty well though it's a bit rough around the edges. And like I said earlier, some players have worked out the most effective way to game the system. The equivalent of bunnyhopping AWPers is people with two shields and a two-handed battle axe, spinning wildly around so they get extra speed bonus from any hits. Or at least it was, they may have patched to change this.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
No, the deadly 2 handers spam death machines are still there, and people take 2 shields when there are alot of archers around. There should be a speed penalty for having 2 shields

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Rabhadh posted:

No, the deadly 2 handers spam death machines are still there, and people take 2 shields when there are alot of archers around. There should be a speed penalty for having 2 shields

There is. Conversely this is why many of the best players are naked swadians with great swords.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Yup that is true, 2 shields will be more encumbering and result in a noticeably slower running speed. I do think naked Nord with long axe beats naked Swadians, since the axe has longer range, more slice damage, and costs less than half the great sword.

BLUE FISH!

Davincie posted:

This game is great, and is my favorite game to play, even after playing and getting tired of Borderlands, Dragonage, MW2, and after I beat L4D2. Netcode is pretty drat good, get crashes far less often, and the patches have been great so far. Definitely worth the purchase.

The most often played modes (with the highest player counts) is going to be Fight and destroy (for the european servers)/ team deathmatch and siege. Fight and destroy is pretty much the same as team deathmatch where each round whoever survives wins, except for the fact that you can also destroy 2 objectives to win the game.
Siege is what you think it is, with the objective to be king of the hill in the middle of the castle, and the defending team having a 20 second respawn while the attacking team is almost instantaneous. The attacking team can "man" the siege towers by standing next to it on the ground and trying to survive the onslaught of arrows, while archers in the siege tower can shoot back. Cash however is always short on hand since the constant dying, so you tend to scavenge weapons off of dead bodies.

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 23, 2009

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The game is at

Version 0.635 changes:
------------------------
Single-handed attack animation reduced slightlty.
Horsemen can no longer swing or thrust through their horses.
Reduced slope penalty slightly.
Added icons for mauls and morningstars
Turn-limit fine-tuned.
Castle doors can be opened by only defenders
You can now block with a weapon while kicking.
Swinging attacks that hit feet may now cause the victim to fall to the ground.
Changed couched lance animation so that shield doesn't obstruct view.
Various bugs fixed.

already, as opposed to the 0.615 in the OP.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

drat, I didn't realize this had progressed so far. Applying.

Must be fun to be on the Nord team vs Khergit. :smith:

Until you take a lancer's horse out from under him with a two-handed greataxe then bring it down on his back before he can get up off the ground. :black101:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
You can actually outride kergit horsearchers as a mounted nord, the kergit is stuck with a steppe horse while the nord can get coursers. But the game isnt really fun when a whole team of 20 kergits is running rings around you, being a kergit on a town map.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, Nords get mounts?

This is all wrong. Nords fight like MEN, that is, on foot. :colbert: Horses are for those Vaegir, Swadian and Khergit pussies.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Is this a free or paid expansion?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Yay for using actual concept art from the game and not anymore crappy LoTR rip-off traces. I would pay very nicely for a collection of this game's concept art.

Hopefully they do get weapons and classes balanced out more.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Weedle posted:

Is this a free or paid expansion?

Warband is going to be a paid expansion.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
This game is the most ridiculously addicting thing in the world. The learning curve switching from single player to multiplayer is extremely steep, but you can improve quickly with lots of dueling practice in deathmatch games.

Some tips for infantry adjusting to multiplayer
  • Footwork and speed greatly influence the damage of your attacks. Poor speed usually results in a glancing blow that does very little damage, so remember to run forward or across an enemy while attacking.
  • Thrust is your best friend, it's faster and better ranged than the horizontal slices and easier to land than an overhead blow. If someone is charging you with any other directional attack prepped, thrusting is an easy kill.
  • Two hand swords currently draw back and swing faster than most other weapons, if you're using a one handed weapon or slow two hander block first or thrust to score quick hits.
  • Buying an upgraded shield and armor will keep you alive much longer, and the speed of cheap weapons puts the on level ground with the more expensive ones.
  • Pack a war spear or awl pike to kill charging cavalry easily with a thrust. Aim for the riders legs to hit weak armor and the horse at the same time. Also, remember to run forward for the damage bonus. It's almost unfair how easy it is once you get some practice.
  • When fighting against a good manual blocker, feinting (readying an attack and cancelling it with a right click) in different directions is key to landing hits.
  • Attack people as they change weapons, usually from a throwing to melee, to land a free hit.
  • Club with spike is a great choice when there aren't any swords available because it's still able to thrust. If you use it two handed (and maybe one handed?) it can result in knock downs for easy kills.
  • When holding a spear and shield, the only directional attack you can preform is a thrust. When fighting this combination take advantage by prepping your manual block ahead of time and find openings with feints.
  • Conversely, as the spear user you can holster your shield (default mouse wheel down) to open up other attacking directions.

I'm usually playing as Hannibal, feel free to grab me out of a battle or siege server to practice in deathmatch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It uses manual blocking?

I'm so gonna get crushed in this. Though hopefully my long-lived campaign as a Nord will help with the foot fighting. Are there AI at all? I assume not.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 24, 2009

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
The two handed axe for the nords is ridiculous. Usually I can do decent with a spear and shield combo but those things tear through even the higher quality shields (2 or 3 good hits for whatever level it is below heavy). It seems like you either have to go ranged or pick a two hander to actually have a chance against someone who's good with them.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

The two handed axe for the nords is ridiculous. Usually I can do decent with a spear and shield combo but those things tear through even the higher quality shields (2 or 3 good hits for whatever level it is below heavy). It seems like you either have to go ranged or pick a two hander to actually have a chance against someone who's good with them.

The nord long axe is stupid as hell and I have no idea what problem the devs were trying to solve by adding it.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

Lothar posted:

Mount and Blade multiplayer is fun as hell. I am surprised it is not more popular...

It might be more popular if it wasn't a stupid closed beta. I want to play.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Applied last night, got in this morning. I assume having a M&B key helped.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I got in this morning too, but I'm not able to find any servers on the list. Strange. What am I doing wrong?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If you just click refresh or search a few times they'll show up eventually

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Been searching for a solid half hour. How long does it take?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gilok posted:

Applied last night, got in this morning. I assume having a M&B key helped.

What the gently caress, Taleworlds? :(

World Kraid Center
Oct 18, 2009
I applied on July 26th, and got my key exactly a month later. It's definitely worth the time to download and try out. When teams organize and plan their tactics accordingly, eg Vaegirs forming an archer group on a bridge against Swadian cavalry-whores, it's an absurd amount of fun. Anyone familiar with the typical member of the taleworlds community will know that this is really rare, though. They're kinda dumb.

I never had any problems with the servers. Did you use the get list button? You need to do that manually every time you start up multiplayer I think.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Yeah, it retrieves info from the servers, but doesn't actually list any. Been mashing everything for quite some time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
I'm getting the same issue. There's the grey 'getting info from servers' text above the window but once it's done that it goes back to the start basically.