Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am Gilok in this and I am terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

tylertfb posted:

Couched lancing is really really easy now. I thought it needed a tiny range boost over version .635, but it seems to have gotten a huge one in .641. I've only had a little time playing the new version (due to graphics issues...it's choppy as hell for me now) but I got so many ridiculous couch kills. I am a pretty dedicated cav player, and I was regularly going 18 - 4 (kills to deaths), with more than half of those kills being couched kills, on most battle maps before. It's going to be crazy now.

True but on the other hand it's still not hard to take down calvary if you have a spear or two hander and see them coming. It does make them a lot more dangerous in flanking though which I think is a good thing. I dunno if it's so much the range that has helped me as that the game seems to more strongly push your lance to the left or right now which has made aiming easier for me.

After playing a bit more one thing I would change is how much speed you need for a couch, currently you can build up enough in about 10 feet.

TheNakedFantastic fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 27, 2009

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
couch was my main way of owning up entire bands of mercs in single player M&B... has the gameplay changed much since pre warband?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

tylertfb posted:

do we have a list of names of players in the beta from this thread? In the game my names are:

I started recording goon names in last thread, but it got huge. That is why we have our Standard & Words to identify goons.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I've been playing as SeashellSalesman for a while now. Love the game and I don't mind cavalry in team games, 2 infantry can easily take down 2 cavalry, but in dm cavalry are just stupid and they need to be removed. About 90% of the dm games I play start out with everyone using a weapon and a back shield (for the occasional archer), until someone joins and starts cavalry-ing, then basically everyone goes foot archer or lancer and the game becomes incredibly boring with horse carcasses and arrows EVERYWHERE.

e: long axe 4 lyfe

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can I play without applying by downloading the 0.641 500mb client? I've applied a few months ago and haven't got a response yet.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Splash Damage posted:

Can I play without applying by downloading the 0.641 500mb client? I've applied a few months ago and haven't got a response yet.

you can download and install it, and play the training scenarios and the quick battles, but to play multiplayer requires your serial number to be on their list of accepted testers.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

So if you apply without a serial and you get in, do they give you one?

Has anyone here applied without one and gotten in?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Playing a naked archer with 3 quivers of arrows on the village maps in battle mode is hilariously awesome. They can't ignore you, but if they chase you can just keep running until you find some teammates.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Jesus Christ I need to get in on this... do they still have bastard swords available in MP? Being able to swap from one to two-handed on the fly was so drat sweet... Tempered Bastard Sword was probably my favorite weapon in the SP game.

Also, real men run on foot naked and use javelins. There I said it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Fuzz posted:

Jesus Christ I need to get in on this... do they still have bastard swords available in MP? Being able to swap from one to two-handed on the fly was so drat sweet... Tempered Bastard Sword was probably my favorite weapon in the SP game.

Also, real men run on foot naked and use javelins. There I said it.

They do have bastard swords but only for Swadia. You get the regular bastard sword (kinda wimpy but cheap) and the heavy bastard which is in my top 3 melee weapons. Typically the swords have a big edge on the axes/clubs because they can thrust plus as you said you can keep the bastards drawn even when you have a shield out (but don't engage someone in melee with your shield out, you'll lose). That said though, the awlpike is by far the best weapon in game right now, there's no way to beat an awlpiker except archery.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Actually I prefer the cheapest bastard sword over the other Swadian swords because it is so drat fast. I can dance around the enemy and hit him twice in the time he can hit with his big heavy weapon once. This is essential when fighting 2 or more enemies at the same time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

amotea posted:

Actually I prefer the cheapest bastard sword over the other Swadian swords because it is so drat fast. I can dance around the enemy and hit him twice in the time he can hit with his big heavy weapon once. This is essential when fighting 2 or more enemies at the same time.

True, but gently caress Swadia. Nords 4 lyfe.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

(but don't engage someone in melee with your shield out, you'll lose).

False. I do some of my best melee work with a shield and a war pick.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

pw pw pw posted:

False. I do some of my best melee work with a shield and a war pick.

Well firstly that's not a 1h/2h like a bastard sword and secondly, seriously, a pick? You know the spiked club is thrustable right? Why the hell would you use the pick?

amotea posted:

Without a shield out it's not appreciably faster than the heavy bastard sword.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 3, 2009

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's just a matter of preference. I know thrusting has slightly better range and all, but I just perform better with a war pick than a spiked club - I've certainly tried both.

I don't know if it's the differing speed/damage stats, or if the different shape gives it a different hitbox, but I'll be damned if I don't fight better with the pick. It just gets past their defenses better - like, it's smaller, so it's easier to get past the shield, or something. Who knows. It just clicks for me.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
spiked club is 1h/2h too, so it deffo performs much worse as a 1hander than dedicated 1handers (like the pick)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

tylertfb posted:

spiked club is 1h/2h too, so it deffo performs much worse as a 1hander than dedicated 1handers (like the pick)

Never actually used it with a shield so I wouldn't be able to say, but if you're killing someone and not closing on an archer you don't have a shield out anyhow.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You keep saying that. It isn't true. Shields work just fine in melee combat, and then you have a chance of protecting yourself from archers who like to shoot at you while you're distracted by a melee

(all archers)

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I just got the tutorial and I can't figure out how to determine what strike I'm going to use with a weapon, it seems kind of random.

EDIT: Oh god I need stats, what do I put them in as a noob?

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 7, 2009

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Nigulus Rex posted:

I just got the tutorial and I can't figure out how to determine what strike I'm going to use with a weapon, it seems kind of random.

Move the mouse a little left to swing from left to right, right to swing from right to left, up to swing overhead, and down to thrust. Note as well that not all weapons can do call the attacks, for example a sabre can't thrust and a pike can't side swing.

Blocking is handled the same way except all weapons can block all directions.

e: If you're playing single player, to get to learn the game maybe stack lots of str and agl to make combat easier.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Can you use mods and expansions if you get the steam version?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I don't see why not. Even if the steam version doesn't use the launcher where you can select your mod, there's an easy way around that. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get into the beta but most Steam games come with a unique serial so you should be able to.

I just started playing Warband again after 2 months without a computer. Holy crap has this game changed. The new combat animations were really loving me up at first, but cavalry feels so much better (although all of the attacks except for lance couching seem a little hosed up). I just scored 19-0 (playing as Violent_Crackbaby) riding around on horseback lancing motherfuckers.

Cyberbob posted:

couch was my main way of owning up entire bands of mercs in single player M&B... has the gameplay changed much since pre warband?

Yes and no. In the more recent versions of the beta, couching seems to be improved over pre-WB, and while the core gameplay is still present there are a lot of other changes that would take some getting used to. I'm not sure if I like the new animations that much but it's definitely still a lot of fun.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 8, 2009

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm using this guide http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,51634.0.html

for the native expansion, and his character build, and at the beginning it says "use the 'assess the local prices' option and start trading." I have no idea what that is though. Any help?

EDIT: I figured out the option, but it says "buying furs here and selling it at Narra would blahblahblha" The problem is I can't find the furs in any of the merchants. Any advice?

Morbleu fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2009

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Nigulus Rex posted:

EDIT: I figured out the option, but it says "buying furs here and selling it at Narra would blahblahblha" The problem is I can't find the furs in any of the merchants. Any advice?

If I remember right, I'm pretty sure it's a gamble if the commodities exist in a given town at the moment of checking the market. Somebody else will probably have to say for sure if the "x sells for a lot in y when buying it at z" values stay exactly the same for your game or if it changes.

Generally if you can be bothered you could just check the value manually since the market check takes a day anyway.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
I'm not really sure what to do. I'm like level 14 or something, riding around killing raiders and poo poo. Doing some small tasks (I signed up as a merc captain for the Nordic empire). My problem is that every time I get into a battle with my troops they all die. I pretty much typically win it solo but I'd rather not lose all my troops every single battle. I can hardly get anything upgraded past raider before they die.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How's your training skill? For any game where the point is not to solo everything you fight, I feel like surgery and training are the most important skills.

I made one character with no real combat skills aside from riding and polearms, and mashed all my points into leadership, training, first aid and surgery. It's been my longest running game so far.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

If you grab a whole shitload of recruits at once, say like 30-50, you can train them all at a training field in a pretty modest amount of time. What I do is fight two of them (or more if you're feeling on your game) at a time, over and over until they are all ready to upgrade, then I upgrade them all and do it again. If you are training ranged troops or cavalry you have to do the ranged practice or mounted practice of course (the melee brawls don't give them xp I don't think).

I've posted this before but probably my favourite way to start out is to train 30 or so archers and use them to destroy weak bandit types. You don't take any casualties and your dudes will quickly level to the highest tier archers making building up a proper army much easier.

e: most important skill is leadership for +capacity and -FIFTY PERCENT wages (at 10 leadership).

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

If you grab a whole shitload of recruits at once, say like 30-50, you can train them all at a training field in a pretty modest amount of time. What I do is fight two of them (or more if you're feeling on your game) at a time, over and over until they are all ready to upgrade, then I upgrade them all and do it again. If you are training ranged troops or cavalry you have to do the ranged practice or mounted practice of course (the melee brawls don't give them xp I don't think).

I've posted this before but probably my favourite way to start out is to train 30 or so archers and use them to destroy weak bandit types. You don't take any casualties and your dudes will quickly level to the highest tier archers making building up a proper army much easier.

e: most important skill is leadership for +capacity and -FIFTY PERCENT wages (at 10 leadership).

Thanks for this. Also what is the stat maximum? That guide says get charisma to 27 then talks about maxing it, but 27 isn't the max.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There's no max for attributes, but skills are maxed at 10. 27 charisma is probably required to max Leadership skill.

Also, make full use of in-battle commands. Just telling your troops to hold position will mean far fewer casualties generally - the F keys and the number keys are for orders/group selection. You can also hit backspace to bring up a sort of tactics overlay and casualty report.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

There's no max for attributes, but skills are maxed at 10. 27 charisma is probably required to max Leadership skill.

Also, make full use of in-battle commands. Just telling your troops to hold position will mean far fewer casualties generally - the F keys and the number keys are for orders/group selection. You can also hit backspace to bring up a sort of tactics overlay and casualty report.

Alright. One more thing, is for the life of me I cannot find a balanced jousting lance. Any idea where I can get that?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Assuming that 'balanced' applies to Jousting Lances (it might, it might not, I'm not sure), then you have to take pot luck with weaponsmiths in cities, pretty much.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'd love to see a M&B pack where you and a group of buddies go up against waves of enemies :dance: That'd be so awesome.

The original game is something I've returned to countless times. It's hilarious how early on, my underlings would get wiped out, yet I'd still one-man the surviving baddies.

One-shotting a horseman with a good swing is nice, but it's also hilarious to take out his horse before he can get an attack in :3: Oh, then trampling commences. I'd always start off with archery, but I end up creeping in to melee.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Geop posted:

I'd love to see a M&B pack where you and a group of buddies go up against waves of enemies :dance: That'd be so awesome.

This is easily possible with Warband as it is since they have bots already. Only problem currently is you can't stack more than 2 players on one side even if the other side has lots of bots (this may be a server setting though I dunno).

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So what should i be doing right now? I'm a vassal for Vaegir and we took a castle and a town, and I took a castle on my own (well, I cheated a bit but I was bored). I have around 50 troops, they're slowly upgrading, I'm level 20 etc etc. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I don't have the troops to legit defeat any named barons or lords or take castles, but I don't want to do quests for 300 denars because that's just chump change.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dump the troops you like at your castle, go recruit a bunch of Khergits you will lead to death and glory (the former for them, the latter for you). By forming a high-map-speed low-pop guerilla force you can quickly grind reknown against forces like Sea Raiders who are infantry with no ranged. Your men will die, often, but they're there mostly to soften the guys up for you. If you get the balance right (which depends on how large their mobs are at your game time) you can be walking away with between 8-15 reknown an engagement.
Do this until your liege forms a war party and summons you. At that point grab your real troops and set forth for soaking up reknown in castle sieges. Keep an eye out for your friends fighting basically anything - it's often free reknown for showing up and some friendship points.

Before you know it you'll be up to troop sizes of 80-100 and more than capable of beating the AI heros. It's worth bearing in mind that the AI also very rarely has highly trained troops - if a decent amount of your army is in the top tier or penultimate tier of their progression you can often beat AI heros with armies 20-30 men larger than yours as the last 40% of it will consist of footmen you can just bludgeon into slavery with your horse's nose.

Once you're there you'll have gained enough reknown and fought in enough battles for people to elect you marshall. Then the fun really begins :D

(It's also a sandbox, you're not "meant" to be doing anything at any time. The above is just the progression arc you seem to be looking for)

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Hmph. I did the beta app and never got a confirmation e-mail for the next step :mad: Either I thread-skipped and the app period is closed, it doesn't like Yahoo, or I won't hear anything until I get accepted.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Dump the troops you like at your castle, go recruit a bunch of Khergits you will lead to death and glory (the former for them, the latter for you). By forming a high-map-speed low-pop guerilla force you can quickly grind reknown against forces like Sea Raiders who are infantry with no ranged. Your men will die, often, but they're there mostly to soften the guys up for you. If you get the balance right (which depends on how large their mobs are at your game time) you can be walking away with between 8-15 reknown an engagement.
Do this until your liege forms a war party and summons you. At that point grab your real troops and set forth for soaking up reknown in castle sieges. Keep an eye out for your friends fighting basically anything - it's often free reknown for showing up and some friendship points.

Before you know it you'll be up to troop sizes of 80-100 and more than capable of beating the AI heros. It's worth bearing in mind that the AI also very rarely has highly trained troops - if a decent amount of your army is in the top tier or penultimate tier of their progression you can often beat AI heros with armies 20-30 men larger than yours as the last 40% of it will consist of footmen you can just bludgeon into slavery with your horse's nose.

Once you're there you'll have gained enough reknown and fought in enough battles for people to elect you marshall. Then the fun really begins :D

(It's also a sandbox, you're not "meant" to be doing anything at any time. The above is just the progression arc you seem to be looking for)

Alright, thanks. Where can I find khergits to train?

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Geop posted:

Hmph. I did the beta app and never got a confirmation e-mail for the next step :mad: Either I thread-skipped and the app period is closed, it doesn't like Yahoo, or I won't hear anything until I get accepted.

I applied earlier in the week, I just got confirmed today. Just give it some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can recruit Khergit troops in their homeland villages - purple-named ones.

If you're Vaegir or Swadian, just train up a bunch of knights. 50 knights can wipe out armies many times their numbers, particularly the Swadian ones. I somewhat prefer the hectic death-prone existence of a footman but cavalry are unquestionably the most powerful force you can have.