Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I finally got it working last night and I'm not sure what to think. The new animations are a bit off putting and I could never seem to get my timing right. Maybe it was lag but sometimes I was sure I hit someone but it wouldn't register.

There are a couple of Aussie servers but not many people on them, never found a server with more than 5 people on it and there would only be one or two of them at most.

I think I can see the potential, but need more people to play with on servers with less that 300ms ping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
There were 39 on the US Deathmatch server yesterday evening. I was torn between playing a Swadian Man-at-Arms and lancing everyone down, or being a Rhodok archer and hiding up by the farm shed and firing poorly aimed arrows down into the field.

I really prefer the DM mode over the Battle mode right now. I hate how 2-3 people can just camp down a whole round, making me wait upwards of 10 minutes just to live again. Granted that in DM mode, I'm eventually going to be backstabbed by some naked old man throwing war darts, but oh well, at least I'm actively engaged in the game.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s

SERPUS posted:

There were 39 on the US Deathmatch server yesterday evening. I was torn between playing a Swadian Man-at-Arms and lancing everyone down, or being a Rhodok archer and hiding up by the farm shed and firing poorly aimed arrows down into the field.

I really prefer the DM mode over the Battle mode right now. I hate how 2-3 people can just camp down a whole round, making me wait upwards of 10 minutes just to live again. Granted that in DM mode, I'm eventually going to be backstabbed by some naked old man throwing war darts, but oh well, at least I'm actively engaged in the game.

I wish to hell it was easier to tell where your arrows are falling. During Sieges I can never tell if the arrow is just perfectly moving over the rampart so it's a danger or just falling flat against the upper tip of the castle wall.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Octopus Dropkick posted:

I wish to hell it was easier to tell where your arrows are falling. During Sieges I can never tell if the arrow is just perfectly moving over the rampart so it's a danger or just falling flat against the upper tip of the castle wall.

Are you using shift to zoom in? You can usually see your arrows sticking to the castle wall (or not) that way unless you're really far away.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Are you using shift to zoom in? You can usually see your arrows sticking to the castle wall (or not) that way unless you're really far away.

I am, yeah, but I can't really see it. It may be due to having shadows enabled, it's kind of hard to see the dark arrow tip upon gray with blackity dark shadow.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

theBeaz posted:

JerseyMonkey, I'd be happy to lend the use of my Ventrilo server. It's been a ghost town for a while now (was supposed to be for my Goon Haven Tribes servers). Let me know.

If you'd be willing, that'd be awesome.

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2009

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I'm in the vent server, gettin ready to play right now.

edit: ^^ the one right above this post

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

gg goons. we make people angry.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
420 throw darts erry day.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Goons make turn this game from frustrating/fun to Hilarious/Exciting/Fun

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

SERPUS posted:

420 throw darts erry day.

ill ban you if you loving throw another dart at me :smugdog:

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

So are all the combat changes going to be widespread changes that the AI will use, or will they only apply to multiplayer gameplay?

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

Could someone explain chamber blocking to me or whatever it is they added?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
'Chambering' an attack means drawing the weapon back ready to thrust/cut/swing/whatever.

So if you draw the sword back to the right, ready to swing right-to-left, it will briefly provide a 'block' against a left-to-right swing by the enemy. This makes sense, although the thrust/downward chop blocking doesn't really.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
Melee seems really involved. You got your chambering, you got your blocking, you got your parries, your counter-attack (have yet figured out how to get this button to work), and apparently you can kick too?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just learned a new trick that helps a lot with manual block duels. Tap mouse1 to start a swing and then immediately tap it in another direction without using mouse2. It's a much faster way to feint an attack.

I'm not sure if counter-attack is implemented yet and I've only seen kick work properly a handful of times, but it's always hilarious. I haven't been able to chamber parry effectively yet.

Which one of you is Don't Stab Me Bro? You're pretty good.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Just played this for hours last night, pretty damned fun. It feels like there is something off when aiming a couched lance, where if you hit a person directly center the horse will rear up instead of trampling him and you instead get mauled by eerything nearby.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Mizkif posted:

I'm not sure if counter-attack is implemented yet and I've only seen kick work properly a handful of times, but it's always hilarious. I haven't been able to chamber parry effectively yet.

Before the last patch, you could walk up to someone while your spear was in the 'ready' position, kick them to break their shield and stab for a kill. Now, it seems kicking has...delay on your attack. Ever since latest patch I haven't been able to find use. For those wondering how to kick, double tap 'w' to kick.

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

JerseyMonkey posted:

Before the last patch, you could walk up to someone while your spear was in the 'ready' position, kick them to break their shield and stab for a kill. Now, it seems kicking has...delay on your attack. Ever since latest patch I haven't been able to find use. For those wondering how to kick, double tap 'w' to kick.

I wish there was a way to bind it to a button for kick spamming glory.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
So kick automatically breaks shields?

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

Octopus Dropkick posted:

So kick automatically breaks shields?

No, I just think that last patch you could do it much faster than you can currently and kick it until you break it.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

JerseyMonkey posted:

I've started using the short sword as my primary weapon, it attacks fast enough to follow up a kick even with the delay.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Its true, weapons with a higher speed rating, regardless of damage rating have a slight advantage right now. For example, if you're a Swadian infantry and deciding between the different two-handed swords, I believe the second most expensive one is the ideal weapon to use. The difference between 84 speed and 88-90 speed makes quite a bit of difference.

Its unfortunate that the high speed rating on one-handers comes at the cost of weapon reach. I've found that high speed rating maces and axes are a bit inferior to high speed rating swords, due to the lower weapon reach on maces and axes. Ever try to swipe infantry from horseback using a hand axe or spiked club? It feels near impossible, whereas swinging a short sword or viking war sword seems to connect far more often.

There also seems to be some disparity in using spears. The default Rhodok and Khergit spear is extremely fast, and you can score a ton of easy kills by spam thrusting it in the current version.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I don't know, I am an absolute monster with the most expensive Nord 1-handed axe. It does 38c damage and it's pretty drat fast. I think it's my new favorite weapon. It chews up shields and can kill a lightly-armored person in a single overhead chop. It may not be as quick as a short sword but it's close and does a hell of a lot more damage.

The thing with spears is that sometimes the thrust animation doesn't need to play out, somebody will be chambering a thrust and then suddenly you're getting punctured. I don't think they're supposed to do as much damage that way but, yeah, thrust spamming seems kill pretty quickly.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Alright, I'll definitely put some dedicated time into that Nord 1 hander tonight, between bouts of naked dart throwing, of course.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
For all of you who want to play with other goons, get in vent and yell at us.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I had another go last night in a team deathmatch with 10+ players and I have to admit it was pretty fun.

I also have to admit I'm absolutely hopeless at it. Only managed to make any kills when we went Khergits and I could ride arch. Real people are harder than computers it seems.

What's some good setups? Getting naked and loading up on darts?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Xarb posted:

Getting naked and loading up on darts?

No that's terrible. Only good for annoying SERIOUS DUELERS. The default loadout for Swadian horsemen is great. For Nord infantry I like to use a fast sword and shield along with the pole axe and the light throwing axes. For Vaegir spearmen, its really all about your skill with spears. I tend to take one each: war spear, awl pike, default spear.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
So, agreeing with the guy who said the new animations are really throwing him off. It doesn't help that servers with the best pings I can get are 121 ping or more. This game is both the most frustrating and most hilarious game in the world.

I'm either doing like 13 - 4 ratio and laughing my rear end off or screaming with a -1 - 12 ratio. I don't know what they've changed but the game runs like trash for me making it mostly unplayable on a good portion of the maps. I still play it though. Strangely the game has been crashing a lot, right after I join a server, strange because it was working fine for the day or two before it started.It crashes right before I go to pick a team. Not sure why though, anyone else getting this?

Harry Manback
Sep 22, 2009
I'm in the beta but haven't played in a while. I usually play as Phillip Banks, but I'm going to make a new character to match my SA account name, how have the recent patches been?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

JerseyMonkey posted:

If you'd be willing, that'd be awesome. Otherwise, I have a server running for now. Hop into IRC #mountbladegoons @ SynIRC.net if you'd like.

Otherwise temp vent running on: zserver.mine.nu:3784

vent.goonhaven.org:4317

Password is HERE.

If it actually gets use, I'll up the 15 man limit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I applied with my Key about 2 weeks ago, got my confirmation, still haven't heard anything back. :smith:

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
There's nothing more satisfying than having a guy with a two-hander run at you, kicking him as you draw your bow, and then shooting him in the head as he stumbles back.

i am the karate kid

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Octopus Dropkick posted:

There's nothing more satisfying than having a guy with a two-hander run at you, kicking him as you draw your bow, and then shooting him in the head as he stumbles back.

i am the karate kid
I really like the name/post combo goin on here.

Also, the nord short war sword is probably the best weapon ever, it rapes so much face just due to fast weapons being the way to roll with this new patch.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Wow, so, I tried .635, (I didn't start playing the beta until .650.) because I wanted to see if it was true that performance had really dropped since the recent versions and confirm that it wasn't just that I was using an ancient pc, and wow, the performance difference is amazing. .650 seems completely laggy, slow, and unplayable to me where as .635 is perfect, completely smooth framerates even with large numbers of dudes. In fact the only downside I can see in to .635 is that the weapons don't lay on the ground as they should and instead they float upright. (also that the horseback swinging animations seem a little wonky but thrusting seems great.

I did a little research and apparently the reason for this performance difference is this

"
Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------
Rolled back vertex buffer system to the old one for the time being."

Really praying they change it back soon so I can start to actually play properly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Dave Mustard posted:

Wow, so, I tried .635, (I didn't start playing the beta until .650.) because I wanted to see if it was true that performance had really dropped since the recent versions and confirm that it wasn't just that I was using an ancient pc, and wow, the performance difference is amazing. .650 seems completely laggy, slow, and unplayable to me where as .635 is perfect, completely smooth framerates even with large numbers of dudes. In fact the only downside I can see in to .635 is that the weapons don't lay on the ground as they should and instead they float upright. (also that the horseback swinging animations seem a little wonky but thrusting seems great.

I did a little research and apparently the reason for this performance difference is this

"
Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------

Really praying they change it back soon so I can start to actually play properly.

no, they rolled it back to 6.35's vertex buffer system from whatever they did in 6.40. 6.40 was unplayable due to graphics glitches. I don't know why 6.35 would perform better.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dave Mustard posted:

"
Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------

I'm having the same problem. Are you using an ATI video card? I have a HD4850 and it's laggy as heck. I started the beta in v .515 and ran it smooth as hell up until .641 (I never played .640 as it was out only one day) I'm really frustrated, as I can't play the game well anymore. :mad:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

TwingeCrag posted:

I really like the name/post combo goin on here.

Also, the nord short war sword is probably the best weapon ever, it rapes so much face just due to fast weapons being the way to roll with this new patch.

Everyone always goes with the nord short war sword, last night the only way our rhodoks team could handle a group of 4 with them was by having even more people with spears and just keeping our distance.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

tylertfb posted:

I'm having the same problem. Are you using an ATI video card? I have a HD4850 and it's laggy as heck. I started the beta in v .515 and ran it smooth as hell up until .641 (I never played .640 as it was out only one day) I'm really frustrated, as I can't play the game well anymore. :mad:

Nvidia actually. Strangely the .650 was running better last night, not as well as .635, but good enough that I was kicking rear end and got invited to some clan, which is a huge step up from being completely unplayable and getting near last place almost everytime. (this whole time I thought I had just lost all skill I ever had in the game but it was just the fps lag) Maybe it was server side. I can't say. All I know is .635 runs like a dream, and as of last night .650 ran at least 10 fps better if not more and I finally got a ping of less than 120.

I've heard a lot of reports of .640 and up causing massive slowdowns for people with 4850's and 4870's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

theBeaz posted:

vent.goonhaven.org:4317

Password is HERE.

If it actually gets use, I'll up the 15 man limit.

This will be our new vent server. Please hop in and join for some fun.