Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Gilok posted:

no, they rolled it back to 6.35's vertex buffer system from whatever they did in 6.40. 6.40 was unplayable due to graphics glitches. I don't know why 6.35 would perform better.

Can't say, I haven't played 641 or 640, maybe they fixed whatever was wrong with the new vertex buffer system and replaced the 635 one. Whatever it is, I hope the next release runs as well as 635 does.

::EDIT::

What do you guys recommend to listen to while playing? Of course, the Conan soundtrack is great but i've exhausted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
Led Zeppelin- Immigrant song of course.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
So is there any reason to game about this? Conquest, the Star Wars mod, and Age of Revolution with the Napoleon minimod are treating me pretty well.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
ennio morricone soundtracks

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Mizkif posted:

Which one of you is Don't Stab Me Bro? You're pretty good.

This is he. My only real strategy is buy great sword or a big 2h axe. Wear no armor for speed bonus and badass points. As for the fighting, when approaching archers you can run so that the side of your body is facing them as they fire making them likely to miss.

Manual block is god, but conversely if you're blocking you're already losing. This game favors hyper-agression. There's very little risk in swinging too early as long as you go into the next attack immediately.

In summary, have a long weapon, swing a lot, and stay at max range for that weapon so they can't counter. Eventually you will connect once or twice and kill them. Make sure to spin around like mad so that you can see horsemen and stuff coming up on you.

A good trick to receive a charge is to chamber for a side attack, say, from left to right horizontal. Then as the horse approaches switch so that you are on the horseman's right. Turn your body clockwise and release, aiming at his body.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
Dude, I've still not received any info about being able to download this. I bought the game full price years ago, kind annoyed. How long did most of you wait? Can I check online somehow if I've been accepted? I bought it directly through the taleworlds site, so they emailed me the serial.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

bell biv devoe posted:

Dude, I've still not received any info about being able to download this. I bought the game full price years ago, kind annoyed. How long did most of you wait? Can I check online somehow if I've been accepted? I bought it directly through the taleworlds site, so they emailed me the serial.

I was accepted into the beta the day after I applied, and I bought the game years ago through their site just like you.

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...

Freeze posted:

I was accepted into the beta the day after I applied, and I bought the game years ago through their site just like you.

I bought the game about 1.5 years ago and got my beta confirmation mail about 1-2 weeks after I applied. So it may take them longer in some cases (maybe depending on location? I'm living in Europe).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shugyousha posted:

I bought the game about 1.5 years ago and got my beta confirmation mail about 1-2 weeks after I applied. So it may take them longer in some cases (maybe depending on location? I'm living in Europe).

I dunno, I'm in the US and in the same boat, been almost 2 weeks now and nothing. Maybe they're being more selective.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

JerseyMonkey posted:

This will be our new vent server. Please hop in and join for some fun.

Maybe i'm just dumb but I can't seem to find the password.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

bell biv devoe posted:

I waited 2 months before I got in. My friend applied about a month ago and is still waiting. Both of us had keys from M&B. It's just random luck as far as I can tell.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

PhantomZero posted:

Maybe i'm just dumb but I can't seem to find the password.

Look under current servers
ventrilo server

theBeaz, can you bold the vent info so people will notice it better?

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

TheNakedFantastic posted:

I waited 2 months before I got in. My friend applied about a month ago and is still waiting. Both of us had keys from M&B. It's just random luck as far as I can tell.

I guess my friends and I just got really lucky then. We all applied within a few days of each other, and all of us got our keys within a day or so. Then again we're all from Canada so maybe they have a Canadian bias?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I had trouble receiving their e-mails on anything, you might want to try playing anyways and see if your key was activated but nothing was sent to you.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

PhantomZero posted:

I had trouble receiving their e-mails on anything, you might want to try playing anyways and see if your key was activated but nothing was sent to you.
I use comcast and they've hosed me before on emails like this before. If anyone has a link to the latest version, I'd like to try this method.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

tylertfb posted:

I'm having the same problem. Are you using an ATI video card? I have a HD4850 and it's laggy as heck. I started the beta in v .515 and ran it smooth as hell up until .641 (I never played .640 as it was out only one day) I'm really frustrated, as I can't play the game well anymore. :mad:

My card and game doesn't lag at all (I get a constant 100FPS) but holy hell does it overheat and I get warnings about it (minimizing a bit is a temporary solution)

Also, Kudo's to "Don't stab me bro" and the other goon who formed our strategy of going all calv and hiding in the barn, and then charging out, and then full frontal charge immediately the next round, and then left flanking charge the next.

Also a reminder, do not use Yahoo mail as your email account for this game.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Chopstix posted:

our strategy of going all calv and hiding in the barn, and then charging out,

that was freakin awesome. i was on the other team, playing as cav, kind of circling around outside of the barn, waiting for our footmen to go in after you guys when I saw y'all break out. good stuff.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I was in that game as dont stab me bro. If I get my soundcard/mic issues fixed I'll hop on vent sometime.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

No homo posted:

I use comcast and they've hosed me before on emails like this before. If anyone has a link to the latest version, I'd like to try this method.

Yeah, I used comcast too and it wasn't even sending me the confirmation e-mails that I had applied for the beta, ended up making a live.com account and got it that way.

:siren:This will let you download the game but you won't be able to play if your key hasn't been activated.
http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_setup_0650.exe

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
drat!

I downloaded, installed, it accepted my serial, and I got to the server list, tried to join a server and got "invalid serial." I was so excited. Sighh..

jujeo
May 26, 2003

Cocksucker!
Keep trying to log in. It'll give you an invalid serial error every once in a while.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
That game earlier was so bad, I had the full compliment of upgraded armor, weapons, and shield.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

SERPUS posted:

That game earlier was so bad, I had the full compliment of upgraded armor, weapons, and shield.

So did me and twinge. full heavy horse. I wish the warhorses could trample with all their armor on and poo poo.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

they can...
EDIT:

gently caress it I cannot take this duel poo poo anymore. I finally noticed a server that was deathmatch, had players in it, and low latency. There was nothing in the name or join message about duels. I go in and start tearing poo poo up. Just slaughtering tons of people. Got a 8/1 score in about 2 minutes. Then someone warned me it was a duel server. Before I could even apologize or leave of my own free will I'm then booted. It makes me so angry!

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I've really got to start playing this again. What times are goons usually on?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Prince Reggie K posted:

they can...

They can knock people around but half the time you just rear up and it doesn't do much damage anyways.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

bell biv devoe posted:

drat!

I downloaded, installed, it accepted my serial, and I got to the server list, tried to join a server and got "invalid serial." I was so excited. Sighh..

Same here. I bought the game way back in 2006 and applied for the beta like 3 months ago. Was hoping since I'm on Comcast maybe something had happened, but I guess not :(

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Schwack posted:

Same here. I bought the game way back in 2006 and applied for the beta like 3 months ago. Was hoping since I'm on Comcast maybe something had happened, but I guess not :(

Sucks man. I'm absolutely dying to play this online!

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Try using a different e-mail address to confirm your beta registration.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

Prince Reggie K posted:

they can...
EDIT:

gently caress it I cannot take this duel poo poo anymore. I finally noticed a server that was deathmatch, had players in it, and low latency. There was nothing in the name or join message about duels. I go in and start tearing poo poo up. Just slaughtering tons of people. Got a 8/1 score in about 2 minutes. Then someone warned me it was a duel server. Before I could even apologize or leave of my own free will I'm then booted. It makes me so angry!

hahaha, that happened to me. I didn't get how the server names worked, i just assumed they were game modes and i'd be forced to play that way so I forgot once I got in, equipped a bow and proceeded to headshot one player in every nearby duel and laugh my rear end off before I got kicked.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

PhantomZero posted:

So did me and twinge. full heavy horse. I wish the warhorses could trample with all their armor on and poo poo.

I wish I could hit people with weapons from horseback :(

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

JerseyMonkey posted:

Look under current servers
ventrilo server

theBeaz, can you bold the vent info so people will notice it better?
Did a couple things to help focus attention on the password.

Still waiting for my beta acceptance letter as well. :saddowns:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TwingeCrag posted:

I wish I could hit people with weapons from horseback :(

It's about timing / horsebumping them. once you get it down it's not that hard.

of course you'll probably get one-shot killed by loving throwing axes all the time but whatevs.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Tried applying using a gmail account, got the confirm email almost instantly, but I'm getting a "incorrect serial" error whenever I try to join a server. Would it be possible to contact support and ask them to fix it, or am I out of luck? :(

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

happens sometimes, wait it out and try again later.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Also, someone wanted some tips on getting on the top of the scoreboards and someone mentioned hyper-aggresion. This is correct. My best strategy is either go solo, and go the long way around by yourself, and flank the enemy archers for easy kills, or get the team to try a new route of attack, massing, and overwhelming the enemy.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

No homo posted:

Tried applying using a gmail account, got the confirm email almost instantly, but I'm getting a "incorrect serial" error whenever I try to join a server. Would it be possible to contact support and ask them to fix it, or am I out of luck? :(

You got a confirmation that you applied, not an acceptance

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Yeah, now that you got the confirmation e-mail you should get another e-mail telling you that your serial has been activated whenever they decide to push out a new patch, that seems to be when they do it.

So if that confirmation e-mail is new to you, then its probably a step in the right direction.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I hate Battle mode, especially in that stupid town map. I'm no good at this game, so this mode translates into me watching other people jerk around for 10 minutes while I wait to spawn.

And why do all the good deathmatch servers have to be "DUALS ONLY NO HORSE". With whomever said it before, those servers are only fun for the 3 minutes it takes me to be kicked after I shoot/couch everyone down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SERPUS posted:

I hate Battle mode, especially in that stupid town map. I'm no good at this game, so this mode translates into me watching other people jerk around for 10 minutes while I wait to spawn.

And why do all the good deathmatch servers have to be "DUALS ONLY NO HORSE". With whomever said it before, those servers are only fun for the 3 minutes it takes me to be kicked after I shoot/couch everyone down.

because dueling without the horse is how you get good enough to last more than 1 minute in battle mode. running around couching people in deathmatch is good for the ego I guess but does nothing to make you any better at the game. i don't particularly like dueling either, but after i bit the bullet and did it a while, i got a lot better at battle.