Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

tylertfb posted:

because dueling without the horse is how you get good enough to last more than 1 minute in battle mode. running around couching people in deathmatch is good for the ego I guess but does nothing to make you any better at the game. i don't particularly like dueling either, but after i bit the bullet and did it a while, i got a lot better at battle.

Anyone that wants to get good at this game, try playing the original single player game but using the setting where the player takes full damage. It'll make you have lightning reflexes and stop making dumb moves. You can also set the combat to be faster and the turn the ai's skill up.

I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dave Mustard posted:

Anyone that wants to get good at this game, try playing the original single player game but using the setting where the player takes full damage. It'll make you have lightning reflexes and stop making dumb moves. You can also set the combat to be faster and the turn the ai's skill up.

I highly recommend it.

I've always played that way and I'm still mediocre, I even played as a Nord Lord forgoing mounted combat. Everything in Warband feels off or different, all the speeds have been adjusted.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s

SERPUS posted:

I hate Battle mode, especially in that stupid town map. I'm no good at this game, so this mode translates into me watching other people jerk around for 10 minutes while I wait to spawn.

And why do all the good deathmatch servers have to be "DUALS ONLY NO HORSE". With whomever said it before, those servers are only fun for the 3 minutes it takes me to be kicked after I shoot/couch everyone down.

this is why i just play archers, because i can stay gently caress-all away from all the people who know how to melee and just shoot them in the foot as they try to approach.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
It just seems like archers are so useless now compared to crossbows. The ability to shoot faster doesn't really mater when it takes more hits to kill a guy and is more inaccurate the more damage the bow does. Also the hit box of the shields seem to be way too big, especially with the Nords.

Massed archers/crossbows can also be quite effective if the enemy team isn't playing together. Another interesting note is the shield/spear wall. If a front row of say 5 guys holds up a shield and the back row has spears or longaxes, the back row can attack through the front row while being impervious to damage.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've always played that way and I'm still mediocre, I even played as a Nord Lord forgoing mounted combat. Everything in Warband feels off or different, all the speeds have been adjusted.

Don't know what to tell you. Well, i'll say this Warband combat does feel different, I agree with you there but it's like anything else just play a while until you get the hang of it.

For me the most annoying things when switching to Warband were (other than performance issues) getting used to "feinting," the new speed settings, and the other problem is ping.

In Mount & Blade regular, I got used to queing up swings one after another by holding click right after I had started my first swing. This does not work in Warband can be pretty frustrating at first. You've pretty much just got to will yourself to not click again until after you've completed your first swing. But it starts to feel natural soon enough. Just let your swing go. Most people have as much trouble if not more with this so you can usually get kills pretty easy. Just be aggressive, trust the swing to hit and etc. Also learn to time it so the apex of your swing is when it hits them. This is the difference between doing say 10 damage and doing like 50. In fact, headshots will absoultely rape them so learning to aim is an efffective way to do more damage. It'll take a while to learn how to aim but you'll get the hang of it. Just visualize yourself smashing their melon with a baseball bat. It works for me.

Another tip, horses may be annoying but there are a lot of things you can do if your opponent is either a) overconfident, b) gay, c) dumb, e) inexperienced. For one, assuming your opponent doesn't have a lance, you should try to find some sort of object like a rock, or building to stand next to (This will work even if he has a lance it just works better if he doesn't). This allows you to keep one side protected while you have your swing ready. Effectively making one of your sides invincible. Plus, the idea of a barrier that can stop his horse and make him vulnerable to getting his rear end kicked will make him afraid to just charge you head on. And if you're smart you'll be near a corner so you can just run behind it if that happens or in the case that he has a lance.

Don't be afraid to go after the horse itself. You might even hit the riders legs and they tend to have less armor. If you kill the horse, the rider is flung to the ground and if the game doesnt bug out and send him sliding across the map, you can smash his tumbling body with a hammer.

What you guys said about the shields, from what i've read, Shields apparently have a square or oval hitbox no matter what shape they are. Even if they're triangular kite shields. This is annoying I agree. Usually i'll be aiming my perfect headshot at some guy and find the arrow floating in an invisible bit of shield. This may be due to the shield skill which increases the shield's coverage. I'm going to guess that the rhodoks must have a high shield skill so that could be it.

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My only real beef with horse guys is them jumping a perfectly placed spear thrust that should've killed their horse. I kind of wish jumping was an automated thing for obstacles only. :argh:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My only real beef with horse guys is them jumping a perfectly placed spear thrust that should've killed their horse. I kind of wish jumping was an automated thing for obstacles only. :argh:

i'll give up horse jumping when infantry intentionally jumping into charging horses and swinging knocks the infantry flat on their rear end and does damage.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

M&B is $14.99 (50% off) on Steam for the holidays along with the rest of the Paradox Interactive catalog
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22100/

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Gyoru posted:

M&B is $14.99 (50% off) on Steam for the holidays along with the rest of the Paradox Interactive catalog
Just bought this.

It's a real budget title game but holy poo poo is the core gameplay a gently caress load of fun and it's got a really active mod community. Apparently the Graphical Enhancement 2.5 isn't available to download anymore because they're working on 3.0 (which isn't finished yet?).

Anyone have 2.5 available to download somewhere?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

doctor 7 posted:

Just bought this.

It's a real budget title game but holy poo poo is the core gameplay a gently caress load of fun and it's got a really active mod community. Apparently the Graphical Enhancement 2.5 isn't available to download anymore because they're working on 3.0 (which isn't finished yet?).

Anyone have 2.5 available to download somewhere?
There's a link to the 2.5 thread in the 3.0 thread. It's also buggy as gently caress and crashes all the time with me.

I'm pretty sure cheating in the Age of Gunpowder mod is the most fun thing in the world, especially with the Napoleonic minimod. It's pretty rough around the edges and sucks the way they mean you to play it, but the entire musket warfare mod is enough to carry it if you just jump from battle to battle.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I have absolutely no problems with the 2.5 graphical mod.

I think I read that 3.0 isn't actually going to be finished, though.

jujeo
May 26, 2003

Cocksucker!
New patch out today. Added parrying, santa hats, longer axes, longer bardiches and Choppaz for the Rhodoks. Also nerfed the hell out of thrown weapons by upping the price.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There's a link to the 2.5 thread in the 3.0 thread. It's also buggy as gently caress and crashes all the time with me.

I'm pretty sure cheating in the Age of Gunpowder mod is the most fun thing in the world, especially with the Napoleonic minimod. It's pretty rough around the edges and sucks the way they mean you to play it, but the entire musket warfare mod is enough to carry it if you just jump from battle to battle.
It's 64 pages long. Can you be more specific?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

doctor 7 posted:

It's 64 pages long. Can you be more specific?
I mean in the OP, I never actually read threads on that forum. Or at least there used to be.

*edit*
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36914.0.html

I don't know why the gently caress they pulled the download link. Apparently he wanted to support Polished Landscapes until GE3 released.

Here's the MBR link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=625

*edit secundus*
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,87617.msg2259214.html

That's the Polished Landscapes mod. I don't see the point of pulling GE2.5 for this, it's a loving alpha and doesn't even have basic collision detection working for what amounts to the only cover in this game.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 25, 2009

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Gyoru posted:

fucker. i bought this last week at full price.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
My only problem with this game is that playing it with 150+ ping is a loving nightmare. I feel you Australian dudes now. :(

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, no doubt about that. This game is unplayable above 100. The timing is just too precise.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
And shittily enough, all the western servers have been down, unless they put them back up today. I haven't checked.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
It isn't so bad when EVERYONE is playing at 100 ping. As long as the overall ping difference isn't too great it's fine. Also, the new long awlpikes are awesome.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Here's the MBR link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=625
Thanks very much, I couldn't seem to find it

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Got-drat, this game is like a horrible drug. I'm now sleeping in the gutter and eating out of the garbage metaphorically. This game is killing me because it's so fun that just one kill is so satisfying that i'm willing to put up with dying 5 or 6 times before I get one, playing on a EU server where I get 200 ping (basically meaning everything is jerky, unplayable and horrible and most of my kills come down to scavenger kills), and suffering through all the awful weapons in this patch.

Bloach
May 23, 2005

Bloachie Bad Azz
Sorry, I have a gay ol question. I seem to be unable to rename people in my party, I type it in, press enter, exit and it's always what it was. Is there any way to fix this?

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
A lot of the new weapons in this patch are weird, the Rhodoks cleaver is especially stupid looking. Seems like a good portion of them would be better suited for a Chinese faction or something.

Also yeah this game is one where you need under a 100 ping to be able to fight fluidly.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

TheNakedFantastic posted:

A lot of the new weapons in this patch are weird, the Rhodoks cleaver is especially stupid looking. Seems like a good portion of them would be better suited for a Chinese faction or something.

Also yeah this game is one where you need under a 100 ping to be able to fight fluidly.

I really like the new Rhodok weapon, it has the look and feel of some mutilated old saw blade dug up out of the trash. It has quite good range too. It's not too imbalanced for the faction, because the two hander is quite expensive and not as fast as for example Swadia's broadsword. (the one handed version is cheaper but ofc. does less dmg)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Just throwing in my opinion that playing the beta as of now is pretty annoying, as the community is the absolute worst I have ever seen in a game. I killed three guys in the same clan or whatever and was promptly banned from the server. Since I only really like to play on one server (it's the Courtyard where it's the player faction against a poo poo ton of bots) that basically means these three faggots have made me unable to play the game for however long a "ban" lasts.

VanityHero
Mar 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Does the multiplayer key steam shows me when I launch mount and blade have anything to do with beta access, or was multiplayer a scrapped feature of Vanilla Mount&Blade?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just throwing in my opinion that playing the beta as of now is pretty annoying, as the community is the absolute worst I have ever seen in a game. I killed three guys in the same clan or whatever and was promptly banned from the server. Since I only really like to play on one server (it's the Courtyard where it's the player faction against a poo poo ton of bots) that basically means these three faggots have made me unable to play the game for however long a "ban" lasts.

a) why do you only like playing on one server. that seems to be pretty self-limiting. maybe you shouldn't be so finicky?

b) if it was players vs bots why did you kill other players?

I'm not saying that the community isn't retarded (it is) but not to the point where it's unplayable....

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

I like the santa hat for holiday spirit, cept noone is playing. :(

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

tylertfb posted:

a) why do you only like playing on one server. that seems to be pretty self-limiting. maybe you shouldn't be so finicky?

b) if it was players vs bots why did you kill other players?

I'm not saying that the community isn't retarded (it is) but not to the point where it's unplayable....

a) I play at odd hours which usually means there's only 1-2 servers with people on them

b) They switched to the bot team to give them orders so they (the bots) wouldn't just mindlessly charge every round

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Bloach posted:

Sorry, I have a gay ol question. I seem to be unable to rename people in my party, I type it in, press enter, exit and it's always what it was. Is there any way to fix this?

I think you can't do this unless you edit files. I'm not even sure if you can edit their faces because if you could I would have gave jeremus a less faggy haircut.

Also, i'm a moron. I had been pressing refresh and wondering why only the european servers would show up so I assumed the us servers were down. Turns out I had to click the search button, I never even noticed it. gently caress.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unzip and Attack posted:

a) I play at odd hours which usually means there's only 1-2 servers with people on them

b) They switched to the bot team to give them orders so they (the bots) wouldn't just mindlessly charge every round

So did you intentionally attack them while they were setting up the bots or did you not realize they were the bots? Assuming they announced their intentions of setting up the bots.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I joined and got kicked from a server where they were playing some Man vs. Beast poo poo or something. Nobody told me, and I was completely ignored (then kicked) when I asked what the hell was going on. The community is pretty bad; blue fish need to work together.

Dave Mustard posted:

Also, i'm a moron. I had been pressing refresh and wondering why only the european servers would show up so I assumed the us servers were down. Turns out I had to click the search button, I never even noticed it. gently caress.
I've been in the beta for months and I just realized this last week. High five.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
It seems like interest is waning in this beta. Its extremely rare, even in comparison from 3 weeks ago, to find a full US server. Yeah, the battle servers may have 10-12 around primetime, but that's no fun.

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
i'm really starting to love archery. bows are great but xbows are generally horrible, their firing rate makes it very difficult to keep someone locked down. they do more damage, but you get more stagger per impact from the higher rate from the bow, which is more useful imho.

also, i've learned to get off perfect foot-shots at nords with their small shields on the approach. no one buys leg armor and even a brandished shield won't protect impacts into your big toe. :golgo:

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I joined and got kicked from a server where they were playing some Man vs. Beast poo poo or something. Nobody told me, and I was completely ignored (then kicked) when I asked what the hell was going on. The community is pretty bad; blue fish need to work together.

I've been in the beta for months and I just realized this last week. High five.

Unlike deathmatch, this game mode is actually quite fun. If you were on the IRC clan server, I apologize if you got kicked. It started out pretty chill, but people from all these other guilds were invited and some people were grieifing and then some people got itchy kick fingers.

But anyway, it's a really fun game. Nothing like stalking along the top of a walled ruin and leaping naked into a group of 4 or 5 archers with an 1handed axe and slaying them all. Makes up for all the times you're spotted and charge into a hail of arrows. Usually this mode is played with crossbows to make it mroe fun.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

SERPUS posted:

It seems like interest is waning in this beta. Its extremely rare, even in comparison from 3 weeks ago, to find a full US server. Yeah, the battle servers may have 10-12 around primetime, but that's no fun.

The main US battle server (or whatever server people seem to gravitate towards that day) almost always has more than 20 people except very late at night or mid day on the week. But yeah it's very rare to see 50+ people, I've only seen that once in the month+ I've been playing

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Yeah but playing the battle mode is turning into counterstrike knife-only games.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

SERPUS posted:

Yeah but playing the battle mode is turning into counterstrike knife-only games.

I'm not really sure what you mean? I play on the main US battle server all the time as Sir Lans and I've never seen it be anything besides the standard rules.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_upgrade_0650_to_0670.exe

Version 0.670 changes:
------------------------
The game now uses Havok for Character physics.
Random plains maps are now less hilly.
Kick is now affected by friendly fire options.
random desert and desert forest scenes are added.
Kick now works on slopes correctly.
Block stun made more selective. Overheads and chambered attacks are much more likely to cause it.
New cue sound when defender is block-stunned.
Changed defense system so that blocks are started instantly again.
Left mouse clicks are now buffered even if attack cannot be started immediately.
You can no longer order bots to hold position close to the map edge. (They'll leave a distance of 15m.)
Weapons do not collide with the environment at the beginning and end of a swing.
use_secure_connection option is added to rgl_config.txt
In multiplayer, if the selected server runs another module, the game will automatically switch to it.
Friendly fire options are added for both dedicated server and admin panel.
Melee friendly fire is now effective against horses.
Mute player option is added
Unnecessary packet flooding is removed (during server search)
Event timeouts are added
Friendly fire options can now be set as ratios
Event priorities and timeouts are organized (lower bandwidth consumption)
Game keys are reorganized
New vertex buffer management system;
Many other fixes and improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Crossbows are really good simply because you can pop out and shoot from behind cover and that they can penetrate cheap shields. Archers and Xbows are both really lethal and 4 or 5 guys that stick together can dominate against pretty much anything. Focusing on one guy at a time will destroy him and the closer they get the more accurate you are. The only problem is when they get too close and then you just backup and let your friends shoot him in the back.