Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

John Charity Spring posted:

You can recruit Khergit troops in their homeland villages - purple-named ones.

If you're Vaegir or Swadian, just train up a bunch of knights. 50 knights can wipe out armies many times their numbers, particularly the Swadian ones. I somewhat prefer the hectic death-prone existence of a footman but cavalry are unquestionably the most powerful force you can have.

Heavy cavalry massing in Native and Native Expansion is so powerful that it's almost boring. Swadian Knights(in Native) and Lady Knights(in NE) are relatively easy to get and pretty much whoop the poo poo out of everything.

For an alternative route, try masses of Rhodok Crossbowmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Aye, like I said, I prefer the minute-to-minute terror of having a sword, shield, and spear, standing in schiltron on a forested hill while Khergit horse archers slowly whittle down your band and you wonder if you're going to survive at all.

Can't beat it. :black101:

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Geop posted:

Hmph. I did the beta app and never got a confirmation e-mail for the next step :mad: Either I thread-skipped and the app period is closed, it doesn't like Yahoo, or I won't hear anything until I get accepted.

You'll just get a link to dl the latest version if you're accepted, there aren't any more steps after filling out the beta application. I waited a couple of months before getting accepted in while some people got in a week after signing up so it's selection is pretty random.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Version .650 out with some major changes

quote:

Version 0.650 changes:
------------------------
It is now possible to stop attacks by parrying or blocking. Quickly pressing and releasing the right mouse button will trigger a parry, whereas holding it down will activate a block. Parrying at the right time will cause the attacker to be stunned longer giving the defender a longer window for a counter-attack. Parrying with a shield will also cause less damage to the shield. Currently, there is no seperate animation for parrying but it is still functional.

Chambering animation will also defend against a particular attack direction for a brief period:
Chamber right -> Defends against opponent's left to right attack.
Chamber left -> Defends against opponent's right to left attack.
Chamber overswing -> Defends against opponent's thrust attack.
Chamber thrust -> Defends against opponent's overswing attack.

Characters now use special running animations when ther upper-body is forced to rotate sideways because they are doing a particular attack animation.
Characters now go into "sprint" mode and run faster if you do not attack or defend for two seconds.
Some attack animations have been sped-up
Removed restriction on attack direction for horseback weapon thrusts.
Weapons now cause less damage when they connect to the target further down the shaft.
Couched lancing does less damage and kicks in at a higher speed.
Horses are now more likely to rear up when they are hit by spear thrusts.
Long axes can now be used as polearm by pressing the x key.
Welcome message added to admin panel options.
Game admins can now modify gold bonuses.
Many other fixes.

Best wishes,
-Taleworlds Team

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

Just got in the beta. How do I find you nerds? :D

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
The text for that patch looks like it will either be really awesome or make this release unplayable. The distinction between a held block and a parry is great imo and blocking a left to right swing by chambering right and vice versa are great, blocking a thrust with chambering overhead is TERRIBLE though as is blocking an overhead by chambering thrust. When I have a thrusting weapon and I see someone swinging overhead my first reaction (and I think everyone else does this too) is to thrust into them, since thrust is the fastest attack and overhead is the slowest.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Also version .650 has a really annoying melee friendly fire bug. So you have to be very, very careful, especially if you're cavalry. I had a teammate spawn right in front of me when I was cavalry and I hit him with my lance, killing me instantly.

edit: Just happened 3 times to me in one game. Ouch.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 12, 2009

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
How is the melee?

adisca
May 6, 2003

Young Turks
Well, I just got the new Mount&Blade Warband Beta Version 0.650 is out.(corrected) e-mail, but I've never actually gotten anything saying I was accepted into the beta. Can I just dl the client and play, or do I need a key?

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

adisca posted:

Well, I just got the new Mount&Blade Warband Beta Version 0.650 is out.(corrected) e-mail, but I've never actually gotten anything saying I was accepted into the beta. Can I just dl the client and play, or do I need a key?

I just checked my invite email. Has nothing about keys.

Beta doesn't introduce new keys, it authenticates using your M&B cd key.

Mongoose posted:

Version .650 out with some major changes

Just look for goons with this symbol

I can get my vent server online tonight, I just am unsure of how long it'll be up for.

Also, what do you guys think about using a Steam group?

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 12, 2009

adisca
May 6, 2003

Young Turks
Awesome! Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks!

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

JerseyMonkey posted:

I just checked my invite email. Has nothing about keys.

Beta doesn't introduce new keys, it authenticates using your M&B cd key.

Just look for goons with this symbol
[image]https://wi.somethingawful.com/42/4247064ff67e0436ee54ec1c54160439dc3e8979.jpg[/image]

I can get my vent server online tonight, I just am unsure of how long it'll be up for.

Also, what do you guys think about using a Steam group?

I'm down for whateva. Just post the vent info in here or on Private Servers if you don't want it to be public knowledge.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Messed around a bit with the new version. Couching and horseback lancing seems like it was mostly reverted back to earlier versions before .45. Some one handed weapons swing a lot faster now. I don't know if the melee ff is a bug or not but I kind of like it.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Melee ff would ruin the game because you don't have any fine control over your attacks, in the real world you have more than 4 discrete attacks you can do to avoid hitting the wrong person.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
So far the patch has been pretty well received although it has some bugs. Sprinting is great, Parrying is also in but with the same animation. The timing for the second swing is still extremely quick since swords have been sped us considerably. Vaegir archers can unleash scimitar spam like crazy.

The best new blocking system improvement is the chamber blocking that happens when you intercept in an incoming swing animation with the take-back of your swing in the same direction you'd normally block. This with an overhead swing against a spear thrust and has improved offense against turtling spear+shield users.

Current ridiculous bug: blocking with fists parries all melee attacks.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I am so bad at this game, but it is so FUN. :(

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

adisca posted:

Awesome! Can't wait to give this a try. Thanks!
I just went through the same confusion, got the same email as you.

Downloading as we speak. (awesome)

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I've been in as LLJK_Nether_Traitor, doing mediocre. I saw several goons playin around, so a shout out to you dudes.

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

TwingeCrag posted:

I've been in as LLJK_Nether_Traitor, doing mediocre. I saw several goons playin around, so a shout out to you dudes.

Just played with ya ;) ;)

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I installed Warband but whenever I start it up and put the serial key in it says "Unable to connect to activation server". I tried adding it to Windows Firewall, tried disabling the firewall and disabling Avast.

Anyone else have similar problems?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Haha, no jump damage? When did that come about? Or have I just never noticed? I've been leaping off of the walls in Castle 3 onto unsuspecting soldiers with a mace.

Twinge, the most important part is staying with your fellow troops. We kicked rear end!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So I still can't figure out why I can't get into this beta. Are any of you guys that got in using a yahoo email? I don't get a confirmation email or anything and it's making me sad.

jujeo
May 26, 2003

Cocksucker!
There's an issue with Taleworlds and yahoo mail. I used my G-mail instead and it worked fine.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

PhantomZero posted:

Haha, no jump damage? When did that come about? Or have I just never noticed? I've been leaping off of the walls in Castle 3 onto unsuspecting soldiers with a mace.

Twinge, the most important part is staying with your fellow troops. We kicked rear end!

Fall damage takes a surprisingly high fall to take effect but it's there. Jump off the top of one of the towers in village and you'll take damage.

Ezzie
Apr 14, 2008

You are being shagged by a rare Parrot!
:parrot:
What's exactly planned for the release version, are we going to have levels etc, and the build up of personal armour (or gold)?
I'm in as Ezzie, you'll see me dying a lot. But enjoying it :unsmith:

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

I hope the hobo clan isn't a good clan :ohdear: I think I made them mad last night.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Don't worry, they're pretty terrible. They don't take themselves very seriously, but I do know of one or two that may be terrible server admins and might ban you for something stupid.

nK and ADD are the "good" clans, but they can be hit or miss.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I'm surprised they never emailed past customers about this (unless I just missed it), signed up today. Hopefully I'll get to play it soon, I haven't played M&B in forever.

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

Mizkif posted:

Don't worry, they're pretty terrible. They don't take themselves very seriously, but I do know of one or two that may be terrible server admins and might ban you for something stupid.

nK and ADD are the "good" clans, but they can be hit or miss.

Hehe I actually meant to say GOON clan, but this works too :)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

There is no goon clan. We all just run around with the blue fish banner.

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

secrets were written here

Boxx fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 14, 2009

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
game went from smooth as silk to unplayable on my computer after version .635 :( :( :( :( anybody else having framerate problems? Running an ATI HD 4850

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Boxx posted:

:iiam:

oh no its full :ohdear:

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 14, 2009

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Just had an awesome game with Boxx, got rocked by a guy in full chainmail D:

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

PhantomZero posted:

oh no its full :ohdear:

could you edit that out and keep it for yourself until next time? it's a buddies and i was hoping we could keep it kinda private :)

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
cool i got accepted into beta :smugdog:

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

Octopus Dropkick posted:

cool i got accepted into beta :smugdog:

The clan standard is the usual: LLJK_name

I'll be on later tonight east coast time if anyone wants to hop in vent with me and laugh maniacally as we ride on ponies and chop people up with axes.
Hope to see ya in game :)

Octopus Dropkick
Sep 12, 2007

)-( e l l o
|> o s t s
I don't know what-the-hell to do with melee, trying to focus playing an archer at first. It seems to be a way easier approach at playing the game (even though I just awful).

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
So my beta copy has been sitting in my inbox for a while, not sure why I haven't downloaded it yet.

Can anyone explain how this works? Is everyone who plays on one big map, or are there different servers that are just battles? Is your character consistent across different sessions/servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

JerseyMonkey, I'd be happy to lend the use of my Ventrilo server. It's been a ghost town for a while now (was supposed to be for my Goon Haven Tribes servers). Let me know.