Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
So, agreeing with the guy who said the new animations are really throwing him off. It doesn't help that servers with the best pings I can get are 121 ping or more. This game is both the most frustrating and most hilarious game in the world.

I'm either doing like 13 - 4 ratio and laughing my rear end off or screaming with a -1 - 12 ratio. I don't know what they've changed but the game runs like trash for me making it mostly unplayable on a good portion of the maps. I still play it though. Strangely the game has been crashing a lot, right after I join a server, strange because it was working fine for the day or two before it started.It crashes right before I go to pick a team. Not sure why though, anyone else getting this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Wow, so, I tried .635, (I didn't start playing the beta until .650.) because I wanted to see if it was true that performance had really dropped since the recent versions and confirm that it wasn't just that I was using an ancient pc, and wow, the performance difference is amazing. .650 seems completely laggy, slow, and unplayable to me where as .635 is perfect, completely smooth framerates even with large numbers of dudes. In fact the only downside I can see in to .635 is that the weapons don't lay on the ground as they should and instead they float upright. (also that the horseback swinging animations seem a little wonky but thrusting seems great.

I did a little research and apparently the reason for this performance difference is this

"
Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------
Rolled back vertex buffer system to the old one for the time being."

Really praying they change it back soon so I can start to actually play properly.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

tylertfb posted:

I'm having the same problem. Are you using an ATI video card? I have a HD4850 and it's laggy as heck. I started the beta in v .515 and ran it smooth as hell up until .641 (I never played .640 as it was out only one day) I'm really frustrated, as I can't play the game well anymore. :mad:

Nvidia actually. Strangely the .650 was running better last night, not as well as .635, but good enough that I was kicking rear end and got invited to some clan, which is a huge step up from being completely unplayable and getting near last place almost everytime. (this whole time I thought I had just lost all skill I ever had in the game but it was just the fps lag) Maybe it was server side. I can't say. All I know is .635 runs like a dream, and as of last night .650 ran at least 10 fps better if not more and I finally got a ping of less than 120.

I've heard a lot of reports of .640 and up causing massive slowdowns for people with 4850's and 4870's.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Gilok posted:

no, they rolled it back to 6.35's vertex buffer system from whatever they did in 6.40. 6.40 was unplayable due to graphics glitches. I don't know why 6.35 would perform better.

Can't say, I haven't played 641 or 640, maybe they fixed whatever was wrong with the new vertex buffer system and replaced the 635 one. Whatever it is, I hope the next release runs as well as 635 does.

::EDIT::

What do you guys recommend to listen to while playing? Of course, the Conan soundtrack is great but i've exhausted it.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Prince Reggie K posted:

they can...
EDIT:

gently caress it I cannot take this duel poo poo anymore. I finally noticed a server that was deathmatch, had players in it, and low latency. There was nothing in the name or join message about duels. I go in and start tearing poo poo up. Just slaughtering tons of people. Got a 8/1 score in about 2 minutes. Then someone warned me it was a duel server. Before I could even apologize or leave of my own free will I'm then booted. It makes me so angry!

hahaha, that happened to me. I didn't get how the server names worked, i just assumed they were game modes and i'd be forced to play that way so I forgot once I got in, equipped a bow and proceeded to headshot one player in every nearby duel and laugh my rear end off before I got kicked.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

tylertfb posted:

because dueling without the horse is how you get good enough to last more than 1 minute in battle mode. running around couching people in deathmatch is good for the ego I guess but does nothing to make you any better at the game. i don't particularly like dueling either, but after i bit the bullet and did it a while, i got a lot better at battle.

Anyone that wants to get good at this game, try playing the original single player game but using the setting where the player takes full damage. It'll make you have lightning reflexes and stop making dumb moves. You can also set the combat to be faster and the turn the ai's skill up.

I highly recommend it.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've always played that way and I'm still mediocre, I even played as a Nord Lord forgoing mounted combat. Everything in Warband feels off or different, all the speeds have been adjusted.

Don't know what to tell you. Well, i'll say this Warband combat does feel different, I agree with you there but it's like anything else just play a while until you get the hang of it.

For me the most annoying things when switching to Warband were (other than performance issues) getting used to "feinting," the new speed settings, and the other problem is ping.

In Mount & Blade regular, I got used to queing up swings one after another by holding click right after I had started my first swing. This does not work in Warband can be pretty frustrating at first. You've pretty much just got to will yourself to not click again until after you've completed your first swing. But it starts to feel natural soon enough. Just let your swing go. Most people have as much trouble if not more with this so you can usually get kills pretty easy. Just be aggressive, trust the swing to hit and etc. Also learn to time it so the apex of your swing is when it hits them. This is the difference between doing say 10 damage and doing like 50. In fact, headshots will absoultely rape them so learning to aim is an efffective way to do more damage. It'll take a while to learn how to aim but you'll get the hang of it. Just visualize yourself smashing their melon with a baseball bat. It works for me.

Another tip, horses may be annoying but there are a lot of things you can do if your opponent is either a) overconfident, b) gay, c) dumb, e) inexperienced. For one, assuming your opponent doesn't have a lance, you should try to find some sort of object like a rock, or building to stand next to (This will work even if he has a lance it just works better if he doesn't). This allows you to keep one side protected while you have your swing ready. Effectively making one of your sides invincible. Plus, the idea of a barrier that can stop his horse and make him vulnerable to getting his rear end kicked will make him afraid to just charge you head on. And if you're smart you'll be near a corner so you can just run behind it if that happens or in the case that he has a lance.

Don't be afraid to go after the horse itself. You might even hit the riders legs and they tend to have less armor. If you kill the horse, the rider is flung to the ground and if the game doesnt bug out and send him sliding across the map, you can smash his tumbling body with a hammer.

What you guys said about the shields, from what i've read, Shields apparently have a square or oval hitbox no matter what shape they are. Even if they're triangular kite shields. This is annoying I agree. Usually i'll be aiming my perfect headshot at some guy and find the arrow floating in an invisible bit of shield. This may be due to the shield skill which increases the shield's coverage. I'm going to guess that the rhodoks must have a high shield skill so that could be it.

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 22, 2009

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
And shittily enough, all the western servers have been down, unless they put them back up today. I haven't checked.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Got-drat, this game is like a horrible drug. I'm now sleeping in the gutter and eating out of the garbage metaphorically. This game is killing me because it's so fun that just one kill is so satisfying that i'm willing to put up with dying 5 or 6 times before I get one, playing on a EU server where I get 200 ping (basically meaning everything is jerky, unplayable and horrible and most of my kills come down to scavenger kills), and suffering through all the awful weapons in this patch.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Bloach posted:

Sorry, I have a gay ol question. I seem to be unable to rename people in my party, I type it in, press enter, exit and it's always what it was. Is there any way to fix this?

I think you can't do this unless you edit files. I'm not even sure if you can edit their faces because if you could I would have gave jeremus a less faggy haircut.

Also, i'm a moron. I had been pressing refresh and wondering why only the european servers would show up so I assumed the us servers were down. Turns out I had to click the search button, I never even noticed it. gently caress.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Just use the uhhh quick battle and the tutorials first if you don't understand the basics, and then play the game?

I can't tell if this patch runs better or worse as i've only played on the server with 45 or so people but a fair amount of people have been complaining about performance and saying the specular maps on the armor look better. I also can't tell if the havok physics look any different or if i'm imagining they do. I'd have to say if they are in fact different they look really boring compared to how they used to. Could just be a coincidence that everybody died in a boring way.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
just sayin, 671 is out, as of yesterday. It runs a lot better for me but I still get the crappy huge slow downs when looking in the direction of areas with lots of buildings and/or foliage.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

ZKnight posted:

Do you get that in regular M&B too? I think 670 fixed the stupid disconnect bug where you can't get back on the server for me and other than that I have 0 issues and the game runs great.

I just wish they had more maps.

No, not really. And a lot of players have also been complaining about getting random huge fps drops whenever enemies move within 5 feet of them. I was getting them too, but I was so used to random slowdowns I didn't notice that it was caused by that. Mostly XP users they say.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Holy Diver posted:

I see the same people on each night that I play. I'd get on more but the devs really need to start fine tuning the balance. There are several maps where one faction wins nine times out of ten and it's pretty obvious that, just like in the single player version, couched lance damage is ridiculously overpowered.

Maybe the devs haven't gotten around to balancing it yet but they're going to need to sacrifice some of the game's realism if they want people to pay for this. Yes, if I was a dude with a short sword and a shield back then I'd be quickly slaughtered by a guy on a horse with a lance or a dude with a 5 foot long axe but that doesn't make for a fun video game.

EDIT:

http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_upgrade_0650_to_0672.exe

Version 0.672 changes:
------------------------
Several Important networking bug-fixes
Only lances can be couched on horseback now.
Chambering time now attacks defender stun chance properly.
You can now switch attack direction by tapping RMB as before.
Dying enemies now soak up attacks for a short while.
You can adjust camera distance by numpad +- keys (temporary, before selecting a final value.)
Item costs can now be specified indvidually for different factions.

EDIT:

It's not overpowered. And No, I never play as a horseman really and I don't even like lancing so no, i'm not defending my own thing or whatever. I think the classes are fine. In fact, the only thing as far as classes they'd need to balance really is to set some sort of limit of how many of each unit type can be used by how many players are ingame.

I realize people freak out about lancing because it's one of those ways of dying where you get killed and pretty much have no option or you never see it coming. But if you do see the lancer there are lots of things you can do, and at the very worst, you might end up horse bumped or breaking a shield.
Please people, start carrying a spear or pike, you can always drop it if you don't need it, but if you know some cock sucker is going around jousting then spawn with one or pick one up.
Second thing, if a guy is charging you, find some sort of terrain he'll get stuck on, or a tree, or even go near a wall. He won't want to attack somebody if it'll cause him to hit something and come to a stop because then he's easy to slaughter.

3rd tip, if you're fighting khergits, you can usually put your back to a building and minimize your possibility of getting shot. The khergits do eventually run out of arrows or they get bored and charge in. Carry some throwing weapons, or have your team get bows. They can be combated fairly easily. In fact the only place I can remember losing to them was in a Nords vs Khergits ctf game. But of course, that's a mode where mobility really matters. And we still managed to slaughter the gently caress out of them even if we didnt win by flag caps. I must say, CTF is by far the funnest mode. and Khergits vs Nords is my favorite matchup ever. We also managed to win in an amazing way against the khergits by doing a shield and spear wall, 2 ranks deep to stop them from breaking our lines and running away.

Now as far as balance. There are a few things I hate right now. I hate that whoever swings their mouse the fastest wins, and is able to bypass the fact that he just got parried by me, or kicked, or that i'm carrying a loving faster weapon that should hit before his if I swung first. This is why people spam 2 handers. And as far as the people that "abuse" one handers, I haven't seen them anywhere. It took me 4 slashes with a saber on a lightly armored opponent just to kill him. The second thing, I am often outran or even running at the same speed as a guy in full armor with a two hander while I am naked and only carrying a one hander. It doesn't make any goddamn sense and it has happened countless times. And no, i'm not retarded, I was doing a sprint, and I had started my run before the other guy, often times the guy was charging a stab attack as well so he should've for sure been slower than me.

Other issues, I think that the long long axes look completely retarded. The solution is, give the nords some longer spears. Which they should have anyway, I mean what do they expect them to do against horses when every other tribe/team has pikes or longer spears. Besides vikings used spears more than swords and axes in reality, as swords were for the nobility, so their spears shouldn't be their weakest category. Tone down the long bardiches as well and I think it'll be good.

Other issues. I don't know if it's just me but the throwing physics seem wrong as hell. I notice a significant lag from when I throw my weapon and when it actually enters the air and becomes a physical entity. I see it frozen in the air itself, above my guy for a second before it takes on physical properties and flies. As well, i've been getting really strange collision issues with my projectiles going directly through people, even through a horses big rear end, so I know I didn't miss. It's been happening a lot. One guy threw a javelin at me and it froze in the air above my head and just stayed there.

Last problem I have is that the horse jump is way too loving high and looks absolutely retarded. And the regular jump looks just as dumb. The gravity in the game is really off and floaty. I'd say it accounts for a large portion of the weird bugs where people clip through buildings, and randomly get launched way into the sky. The horse jump is exploited when a horse makes a bad move, they can simply jump about as high as two men stacked on top of eachother to escape the reach of a weapon. Regular jump gravity is too slow and floaty as well. I can jump from one step to the next and it'll take me longer to land than a guy can run 4-6 steps. It gets people killed all the time and looks stupid. Second, you should not be able to kick in the middle of a jump. The animation does not play and it looks unprofessional. The amazingly high jumps of horses also take us out of the game. I think they need a system where the horse only jumps as high as it needs to clear an obstacle, i.e. a fence or rock.

tl;dr: couched lancing is fine. super long axes and bardiches look dumb. Nords need better and longer spears. Combat needs tweaking. New physics or collision system is broken. Horse jumping and jumping gravity needs to be tweaked.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

PhantomZero posted:

It is quite helpful actually, It prevents 5 guys from running around you swinging their huge axes without a care in the world. With melee on people have to be more careful if they get in a big fight and 6 times out of 10 they will kill their own teammate before they kill you.

The real problem is that they see it fit to include realistic friendly fire, except that in real life, i'm not so stupid or clumsy as to swing around like i'm chopping a tree if I know there are friends next to me. It also makes people afraid to get in formations because they know that they have to run around in circles and be nowhere near their teammates to not hit them. Unless the control system was somehow made sharper, and easier and quicker to use the attack you really wanted then it's pretty retarded to put in friendly fire.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Mongoose posted:

The control system is easily responsive enough to include friendly fire, just use overhead or thrust attacks if an ally is in the arc of your horizontal swings (which are admittedly huge). A tight mob isn't the only formation possible, try sprinting around the enemy while someone else fights and kick them in the back or support with spear thrusts.

A little planning in a fight goes a long way, and no friendly fire removes any need to plan since you can charge as an axe spamming wall.

No, not really. Considering that thrust is only available about less than half of the weapons you'd want in close combat (i.e. not a pike, spear or lance), you are limited to only the overhead attack. The overhead attack is the slowest attack in the game. Multiply that by the fact that most fights are won because of the ability to swing your attack into your opponent before his swing hits you, rather than because you're a better "fighter" or your weapon is faster. And your argument is pretty much crap.

The majority of times I closely or absolutely win in a fight, it's because my game is running properly so I can swing my mouse with my swing in order to hit my opponent first. This mechanic alone pretty much makes the overhand or thrust argument trash.

An axe swinging mob would dominate in real life too. It's statistics. If you have one man and he has to fight against two at the same time. The probability of him winning is and should be very low. That's one of the reasons formations are used, to maximize the numbers advantage that is lost when people split off and make themselves vulnerable. If two people can stand together closely enough that they can attack at the same opponent simultaneously, as they should be able to, then they can utilize the strength of formations. Which makes for a more realistic sense of warfare.

If somebody manages to do some sort of heroic poo poo it should be because he was smart and was able to maneuver his opponents so that they were split apart, so that the could fight them on by one, or that he was able to funnel his enemies into a tight space, so that they couldn't utilize their numbers advantage. (I.e. 300, conan the barbarian battle of the mounds, first blood)
Not because the game makes working with teammates a hindrance. That maneuver, planning and positioning is strategy, being afraid of your teammates because the controls are too clumsy for ff is not.

Aside from that, if you have to look up or downward to get the thrust or overhead attack options, you are possibly losing sight of your opponent in that time, and because you're waiting for the appropriate arrow to appear you're losing that small amount of time which is the difference between seeing your opponent lowering his shield to attack you or charging an attack and swinging.

I guess the real problem with your thinking is that you think people should play around the problems rather than fix them. I say it's a beta, and we ought to work toward making this game have the best combat possible.

Dave Mustard fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 22, 2010

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

adisca posted:

I don't understand what you mean by "losing sight of your opponent." Maybe you don't have the control options configured optimally, but my my experience this is not a problem in the least. Furthermore, your argument actually defeats itself. In the game, an "axe swinging mob" does dominate a single foe. The poor bastard can only block in one direction, while the "axe gang" is swinging sideways and overhead to cleave him in two! Blows to the cranium even do more damage! If a single member in a group of axemen ends up cleaving their dear friends, or if a single opponent manages to kill and humiliate you and your bros, it is due to lack of proficiency at axe-swinging - not some arbitrary calculation.

In this game, numbers != victory. numbers + intelligence + skill = victory.

Just because there are more of you then there are of them doesn't mean you'll win every time. That would just be boring, unrealistic, and make for poor gameplay. Yes, when FF is on, you do have to consider what the incompetent morons on your team are doing, and you also have to adjust your tactics in order not to kill them. This, in my mind, adds to the melee combat experience rather than detracts from it. I fail to see how it could be any other way.

I guess I just don't find the controls to be that clumsy. The hitboxes may be off, or the netcode might effect things, but the controls and gameplay feel really solid to me and are easily the best a multiplayer melee combat game has ever seen.

By that I mean that I generally have to look very high up or very far down to get the overhead or thrust options to appear. I play in third person and if I can't see my opponent readying an attack then I can't block it and that's a lovely risk to take, being that the one with the advantage should be the person with greater numbers, but instead the lone defender is the one who gets to have an advantage.
It doesn't defeat itself at all, what? An axe swinging mob, is not an axe swinging mob anymore, it's more like 3 or 4 players standing about 6 or 7 feet apart or more circling around a guy, all of them afraid not of their opponent, but of hurting themselves by trying to fight him and hitting a friendly, or simply afraid to fight him because they have to pause while fighting to make sure they're not about to swing into a friendly. I think that's crap. You can't tell if you charge an attack to the side and your teammate decides he wants to run up and finish the guy off and take the kill and you proceed to swing right into his back as he advances.

Numbers in this game and most games should equal victory, because 2 can strike twice as many times as 1. If you're factoring intelligence in, well an intelligent player would know that 2 players fighting him at the same time would be a really bad idea because one player can take up the slack of the other player, any mistake the first player made could be made up for by his team mate. A smart player if out numbered would find a gate opening, a staircase, ladder, or doorway and use that as a funnel. That's intelligence, not frantically looking around and hesitating before your attacks because you have to worry about your lack of peripheral vision.

Obviously, it doesn't mean you'll win everytime. The point is that the way it is now you don't have to be tactically smart to take on greater numbers, everybody is scared to fight people together, everyone wants to circle around like vultures worried about hitting people. I think it just looks pretty unnatural and takes me out of the experience. You know, everytime 5 players have to take on one, it just looks plain old retarded that 5 guys are all afraid to take on this one guy, even if he's not necessarily a good fighter.

And considering what my teammates are doing? I mean, I have to look in directions in order to perform attacks, I cannot look independently to my sides to see if some dumbass is right next to me because i'm already utilizing my mouselook to choose my attacks, I can't look around without in some way limiting by ability to choose the appropriate attack.

Oh, the controls I like, I love the combat, I never had any real problem with the base game. The problem comes when you want something like "friendly fire for realism" when the combat system is too simple to facilitate it. They add friendly fire because it's more realistic, and overlook the fact that in real life I can choose any direction I would like to swing, how far I would like to pull back before my swing, to what degree of power I want to swing with, how far I want to swing, and on top of that I have better peripheral vision and the ability to look independently of what my arm function is.

Most of all, It stifles people because it forces them to think more before they act. And no, that's not spam, most people before they do something have the idea in their mind of what they want to do, but when people have to pause before they act, it's like a ball and chain. The more somebody has to think before they perform an action the more unnatural it begins to feel. You don't have to think of every muscle your body needs to manipulate and how in order to move your arm, you just move your arm.

I liked the base mount and blade and warband (pre-ff) combat so much the first time I played because it gave me a sense of control over what I did, but at the same time it felt very natural, I never had to think to do the attack I wanted. If my opponent was to the left of me slightly, I'd pull my sword back to the right to swing leftward, if he was to the right, yada yada. It felt perfect. It was the first combat system I played with that felt very very right. Of course, it does have its problems, at times it's unresponsive, and doesn't give me the option I want or at least not without wasting so much time that it loses the natural feel that made it good in the first place.

--------
tl;dr: Putting melee ff with simple 4 attack option controls, the 2 safe options being the slower of the attacks, one of them not being an option at all on around 50% of the weapons, is like telling somebody with sausage fingers to type out an essay on a tiny cell phone without making a typo. It's uncomfortable, unnatural, and easy to gently caress up because there is not enough precision, too much hesitation and worrying and then things do not flow anymore.
-------------
And on top of that, the game has begun to look weird as a result. Nobody wants to stick together, even if we try to defend a base or something, people always decide they need to run around the out skirts, circle fighting eachother one on one, defeating the purpose of our defensive position, because they simply do not want to resort to limiting their attack options.

You can say, just use overhead, or just watch your teammates, but that is garbage, nobody in real life has such a lack of peripheral vision nor would they not be able to swing in a tighter arc if they needed to. And on top of that, nobody even wants to bother with limiting their attack options, they see that trying to team up with your friends is going to gently caress them up in the long run so they just split off and run to the guy and try to fight him one on one.

The way people should fight is both teams fighting head on, close together. The way people fight now is more like, big group approaches, one person diverges from each group and they start spin fighting, while their possy watches like Beat It, and maybe one or two guys fire arrows at them, or an annoying jouster runs in and kills him. In the older versions the fights looked right, they were pure carnage but it looked like a battle. People were getting right into the fray, everyone fighting eachother at the same time. Battles used to look awesome. Now they look awkward.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

warsow posted:

Any mods to allow me to execute prisoners for morale boosts or anything?

I can't just sell these men back to their families so they can fight me again :corsair:

You're not selling them to their families, that's only for Lords. You're selling them to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah, some of those guys can be amazingly frightening and frustrating at the same time. For that crymore guy with the 'rock on a stick' the game is just Whack-a-Mole, and the only thing you can do is get out of the way.

I made the mistake of going with the Bamboo Spear instead of the Pike since I didn't have the STR at the time - its just short enough that I have to get relatively close to use it, but long enough that the enemy can just step inside my range and tear me to shreds. Now I'm saving up for an Awlpike which should solve that problem.

Yeah, well I got the loving boar spear, and I'm scrolling through the weapons and I see the military fork, and I say, hey this thing has better speed and damage, why the hell doesn't anyone use it? Must be because it's a pitchfork, I'm buying this thing. 600 gold later. Oh, no loving wonder it has about 30 less length.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
CRPG blows. It really does.

Rewarding players for throwing themselves into meat grinders? Check
Punishing players for flanking and taking other routes? Check
Combat that devolves into big polearm shield breaking and block crushing with uber armor solely for high level poopsockers to enjoy? Check
A level system that takes ages to make you even feel like you can move your character fast enough to fight, which really doesn't matter when your enemy's attack speed is so fast from poop socking that you can't even finish your block exit animation to do a retaliatory swing? Check

Sounds like "fun" if you love poo poo games.

If you were that kid who always picked superman while playing superheroes as a kid, this a game for you, you loving homo.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007

TheNotsosuperHero posted:

Well, while I do agree that it's a bit unbalanced, I also understand this is a mount and blade mod made by some community modders. Anything mount and blade is subject to change, that's how it got to where it is, through community input. I'm honestly happy at the place I'm at right now in that I can kill people, but lots of people can still kill me and kill me fast. To me it's not fun on either side, whether it's me being useless or that I can slaughter millions and laugh at people that take swipes at me. I like this mod because of how much customization and growth potential it has with a single character. My hope is that, like the rest of mount and blade, over time it will balance out, but for now it's still being modified and updated.

What they should do is get rid of the xp system, just let us buy all the cool weapons and armor we want and make it so you earn gold faster. Let us a pick 1 or 2 weapons to specialize in and buy all the gear we want and then it would be fun.
Or to keep the customization just start everyone at a high level and let them distribute their points how they see fit.

I like being able to choose my weapons and armor and not being limited to just one team/tribe's equipment choices but it's not worth it when the game turns into what I see in crpg.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Just think of it as like, aiming your camera slightly to the right or slightly to the left of your opponent if you wanna swing there, look up towards his head if you want an overhead, and look down and straight at him in his groin area if you want a stab. As far as I know it decides who your opponent is by who is closest to you and who you're aiming closest to.

You should also enable the show attack direction button so that you have an idea of what attack you'll do before you start up your swing.

Also, pressing block/right click cancels an attacks so if you pick the wrong swing just press block real quick and you can go to a different swing faster than you would if you let the attack go .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Oooh boy I can't wait. I wonder if they have any plans to revamp the combat system, I mean it's a good system but something is slightly off about either the fov or the mouse movement and control could be a tad bit better, maybe better parrying or parrying to kicks? I dunno, but I wonder what improvements could be made and what optmizations could be made to the game since they're starting from scratch.

I'm curious as to how many copies they've sold and in general, how much money they've made so I can have an idea of what kinda budget they're working with or what their publisher is giving them to work with. I know I bought Mount & Blade when it was $12, Warband, WFAS, and the Napoleonic Wars DLC on release.