Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I've played a fair bit of the multiplayer. As they keep polishing it and adding stuff to it, it keeps improving, and is pretty much a medieval cross between Counter-Strike and Battlefield, depending on the game mode. Very good fun, although some of the players are far too good and I often die without doing any damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
An expansion, although it may be a standalone expansion. It adds multiplayer and changes up the main singleplayer game by adding lots to it, apparently, but most of the singleplayer changes really scream expansion rather than pure standalone.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Davincie posted:

So any more impressions? What are all the modes and such?

There's your average kind of team deathmatch mode where you have two sides and you fight and die and respawn. There's capture the flag, a siege mode, a kind of control-point-capturing mode, and a battle mode in which the objective is to destroy/defend siege equipment, and you only have one life. This is the most CS-like mode.

You pick an army and class (each round has two factions opposed, such as Swadians/Nords or Khergits/Rhodoks or whatever). Classes broadly split into cavalry, infantry, archer, although the Khergits have only two classes (lancer and horse archer), both mounted, though you can dismount. You have a certain amount of money to spend on equipment although you start off with default equipment too. Equipment is different for each class and for each faction - Vaegirs have bows and Swadians have crossbows, for instance. You earn money through kills and also through dying I think and maybe through round victories - your teammates' kills add a tiny bit to your money.

It works pretty well though it's a bit rough around the edges. And like I said earlier, some players have worked out the most effective way to game the system. The equivalent of bunnyhopping AWPers is people with two shields and a two-handed battle axe, spinning wildly around so they get extra speed bonus from any hits. Or at least it was, they may have patched to change this.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There's no max for attributes, but skills are maxed at 10. 27 charisma is probably required to max Leadership skill.

Also, make full use of in-battle commands. Just telling your troops to hold position will mean far fewer casualties generally - the F keys and the number keys are for orders/group selection. You can also hit backspace to bring up a sort of tactics overlay and casualty report.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Assuming that 'balanced' applies to Jousting Lances (it might, it might not, I'm not sure), then you have to take pot luck with weaponsmiths in cities, pretty much.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can recruit Khergit troops in their homeland villages - purple-named ones.

If you're Vaegir or Swadian, just train up a bunch of knights. 50 knights can wipe out armies many times their numbers, particularly the Swadian ones. I somewhat prefer the hectic death-prone existence of a footman but cavalry are unquestionably the most powerful force you can have.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Aye, like I said, I prefer the minute-to-minute terror of having a sword, shield, and spear, standing in schiltron on a forested hill while Khergit horse archers slowly whittle down your band and you wonder if you're going to survive at all.

Can't beat it. :black101:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
'Chambering' an attack means drawing the weapon back ready to thrust/cut/swing/whatever.

So if you draw the sword back to the right, ready to swing right-to-left, it will briefly provide a 'block' against a left-to-right swing by the enemy. This makes sense, although the thrust/downward chop blocking doesn't really.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I have absolutely no problems with the 2.5 graphical mod.

I think I read that 3.0 isn't actually going to be finished, though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
1) There is a quest database in the game. If you hit Q it should bring it up, I think, and you can click on highlighted things (character names, locations) to bring you to a sort of encyclopaedia entry for that thing, with an option to locate them on the map. Although for 'follow the messenger' quests, if you've missed them, you're probably hosed.

2) Not as far as I know.

3) If you just drag them around with you, you'll eventually get a ransom offer from the captured noble's faction, which is higher depending on how important the noble is. If you own a castle/town of your own (maybe just a town) then you can stuff nobles into the dungeon there, and there's then no chance of them escaping.

4) It is that simple, yes. Certain goods are worth more in certain cities, so if you buy lots of oil from one city you can sell it for a big profit in a city that doesn't produce oil. It's a bit of a hassle, though, and you need to find out for yourself which trade goods are valuable where.

5) It affects how much damage you do to people you charge into and I think it might affect how easy it is for you to knock them down and keep charging through.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zenodice posted:

Awesome.

K so then, how do I get my own town?

Also, is there any way to make it so you dont lose rep for turning down quests, because thats bullshit IMO.

How important are quests anyways?

You can be granted lands by the ruler of a faction. You need to have a certain level of renown to be considered for it, and if you actually capture a city/castle yourself, you'll be more likely to be given it. You can also start a civil war and try to carve out your own kingdom that way, of course.

You only lose a tiny bit of relations with nobles for refusing to do what they ask you to do, don't sweat it. Quests are important in that they can build up your relations with said nobles, and net you a bit of extra money, but if you're looking to join a faction then you'll profit more by building up a band of warriors and following around the bigger armies to join in with their battles.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

deebo posted:

So is it just me who has looked over every inch of kulum and can never find the jackass hiding there? I even took my horse for a jump onto the second floor of the haystack building and had a look around there but he wasn't hiding in the hay.

Edit: also whenever I get low on cash I just burn down some enemy villages and go sell all the oil and junk, is this going to come back to bite me? Or is the worst that can happen a party member not liking it and leaving?

Certain companions dislike such things, and it also impacts your Honour rating which can have some effect on things like relations with nobles, I believe.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can just enable cheats (go to Configure in the game launcher and then pick the relevant option) and then use Ctrl+X while on the character screen to give yourself huge stacks of experience and level yourself as high as you want.

Ctrl+X also works on the Party screen to give experience to the selected troops in your party, and on the Inventory screen to give you money.

Ctrl+click on the map to teleport.

And that's basically cheating in M&B. Can be handy when you want to skip the early days and get right into the meat of the game, but I recommend going easy on it later because it can take away a lot of the satisfaction.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
For Christ's sake just read, I replied to you the last time you posted that.

John Charity Spring posted:

You can just enable cheats (go to Configure in the game launcher and then pick the relevant option) and then use Ctrl+X while on the character screen to give yourself huge stacks of experience and level yourself as high as you want.

Ctrl+X also works on the Party screen to give experience to the selected troops in your party, and on the Inventory screen to give you money.

Ctrl+click on the map to teleport.

And that's basically cheating in M&B. Can be handy when you want to skip the early days and get right into the meat of the game, but I recommend going easy on it later because it can take away a lot of the satisfaction.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can also get quests from nobles to instigate war between nations. Getting them is random, though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Find them on the map, talk to them, tell them to follow you. Or tell them you're assembling the army for war, or something, I forget exactly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah except don't mash it, whatever you do, or the lance will be instantly raised again and you'll be hosed. Just press it once.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So can anyone give me an overview of what the Sarranid troop types are like and some advice on how to use them? I feel like going all Laurence of Arabia.

The dudes look pretty awesome at least.

Well, from my limited experience so far, the Sarranid infantry is unspectacular, the archers are pretty decent, and the mamelukes and other cavalry are really good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I started a game in Sarranid lands and they were at war with the Rhodoks. The Sarranids got their arses kicked in every single battle, they just don't have much they can do against so many crossbows and board shields.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
With combat in general, I'm currently using a mix of infantry and crossbowmen since I'm Rhodoks. Unless I have a handy hill on which to position myself, I find that the best approach is to put the infantry slightly in front and to the side, hopefully drawing the attention of most of the enemy, while the crossbowmen fire until the melee is joined and then I lead them around the side to act as shock troops, since they tend to have picks and the like.

Another tactic is to put your ranged troops slightly out in front and spread out, and when the enemy gets close, tell your infantry to charge through the archers and hit the enemy before they hit your own.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You can't compress time while moving. Ctrl+spacebar will speed it up while stationary though.

You can enable cheats using the Configure option on the launcher.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Blobbo posted:

As somebody who's new to M&B entirely, is there any point in me buying the original, or should I just get Warband? I see D2D are doing a bundle with them both but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Warband is the original but revamped and with lots of extra features. There's no point in getting the original game really, even most of the big mods will probably be ported over quickly enough.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I was under the impression that the trainer skill applies no matter how many people have it - that it's cumulative.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's easier to find a war-hungry noble now that you can ask tavern keepers if they know of any work. They'll mention that such-and-such a noble wants something done but he's a sly one and they wouldn't trust him, or something like that. This is essentially code for "The sneaky bastard wants to reignite the war".

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Well, my first proper game of Warband is going well so far. I joined up as a mercenary with the Rhodoks and our campaigns were wildly successful, breaking a Sarranid field army, taking two castles, and raiding a further five villages. A peace was signed after that, but it's a very respectable little war, really.

I'm also very intrigued by some of the companion options when it comes to declaring myself a king of Calradia. Definitely going to be doing that when the time comes.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Some castles do have multiple ladders and stuff now.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Ainsley McTree posted:

I picked up this game the other day and it seems awesome but it's so massive that I don't really know what I'm doing. In a nutshell, what kind of attributes and skills should I pick for my character so that I don't gimp myself later down the road? Is it better to focus on combat stuff like STR and AGI and power strike/draw/ironflesh, or is it more important to focus on INT & CHA and improve my looting and prisoner taking and leadership and pathfinding and stuff?

I'm so bad at character creation in these kinds of games, I can never really anticipate what I'm going to need and what's going to be useless? Are there any skills/attributes that you would say are completely vital that I should work on improving early? Are there any that completely suck that I should ignore?

I tend to improve my stats more or less equally as I progress - intelligence is always useful because it gives extra skill points, and strength lets you use better weapons and do more damage with them. I'd say they're the most important stats but the other two are necessary too.

I recommend getting at least one point of inventory management immediately, if not more, and putting points into surgery and wound treatment and first aid soon. That'll let you keep your party alive, pretty much.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The danger with putting skills like surgery on a single companion is that if the companion gets knocked out in battle, their skill no longer counts. So you suddenly have lots of your men dying because your skilled surgeon is lying concussed on the steppe.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There's code for firearms in the game (including a separate weapons skill) and the developers provided several models/animations for them, but they're not enabled by default. Some mods for M&B enable them and flesh them out a bit more.

They're a bit unbalanced really, if balance comes into M&B at all. Like more potent crossbows that you can reload on the move (when it comes to the pistols).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Well Warband is a standalone game so if you're trying to use your key for Warband, that'd be why.

Otherwise, no idea.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Rhodok crossbowmen rule. Their board shields and picks make them pretty drat good in melee and they mow down enemies with their volleys of bolts.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Willie Tomg posted:

Okay. Ride the wave, Blood Meridian style. I can get behind that.

Also, assuming I survive the next two months in the service of the Swadians, am I totally screwed for leading large armies? I'm only level 14 but have had to put most of my points into combat skills since my dude's leading/led a pretty hard knock life. Next level I'll probably get to Leadership 4, but seeing the stacks of 80+ are making me jealous... :(

You're fine, don't worry about it.

After a long enough period of being a mercenary you'll probably get the chance to become a vassal of King Harlaus. If the Swadians are as weak as you say, you may want to refuse and court some other nation. With the renown you'll have built up by that point, it will probably be a simple enough matter to pledge your sword to them.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
On the party screen, troops/characters towards the 'top' of the list will enter battle first, and this holds true for bandit hideout assaults too. It's not infallible, but I've tested it out and I usually only get one scrub skirmisher mixed in with the knights if I make sure to put the knights first in the list.

e:f,b

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You have quite a few options in Warband.

You can choose to carve out your own kingdom, or you could support a pretender to the throne. Lady Isolla of Suno is the Swadian pretender, I think. Ask travellers in taverns where you can find her. This triggers a civil war in which you'll need to convince other nobles to join your cause, and it's very good fun. I'm not sure how founding your own kingdom works.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Rhodok and Swadian crossbowmen are both good but Rhodoks probably have the edge since they have those gently caress-off huge board shields. I have quite a lot of success with crossbowmen, and they're immeasurably better for assaulting castles/towns than standard archers are.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Moist Missle posted:

There was a bug with morale that got fixed in 1.103 or 1.104 or something. It prevented you from gaining morale properly so there you go.

It's probably this, make sure you have the latest patch.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I think it varies; in my latest game, Jeremus told me he'd look for work and would be around taverns, but Rolf said he was going back to his 'ancestral lands' and I think he may be gone for good. He gave a much more 'final' goodbye, along with an appraisal of how pissed off he was when I told he should leave for a while.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Remember that in Warband you can also pick up bolts/arrows that the enemy has fired and which are sticking in the walls/ground. Very helpful in sieges, whether on attack or defence.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Archers are only a problem if none of your men have shields, pretty much.

Especially in field battles, forest bandits are easy as gently caress, I find. The hideout missions add more difficulty since they have a tendency to appear behind you and get shots in on your unprotected backs, but still doable.

e: Men who are charging do hold their shields up if they have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
There's an option for it to be either automatic or manual in singleplayer. As far as I know it's always manual in multiplayer.

If it's automatic, just aim the lance at someone while riding towards/past them at sufficient speed (sufficient = the lance is down rather than up). Don't click to attack or draw the lance or anything.

If it's manual, press X by default to lower the lance then aim it while riding past. It will only stay lowered for a short-ish time and there's a significant 'rest' period between couchings.

Oh and you need to be using a lance. Spears don't work anymore.