Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I don't see why not. Even if the steam version doesn't use the launcher where you can select your mod, there's an easy way around that. I'm not sure if you'd be able to get into the beta but most Steam games come with a unique serial so you should be able to.

I just started playing Warband again after 2 months without a computer. Holy crap has this game changed. The new combat animations were really loving me up at first, but cavalry feels so much better (although all of the attacks except for lance couching seem a little hosed up). I just scored 19-0 (playing as Violent_Crackbaby) riding around on horseback lancing motherfuckers.

Cyberbob posted:

couch was my main way of owning up entire bands of mercs in single player M&B... has the gameplay changed much since pre warband?

Yes and no. In the more recent versions of the beta, couching seems to be improved over pre-WB, and while the core gameplay is still present there are a lot of other changes that would take some getting used to. I'm not sure if I like the new animations that much but it's definitely still a lot of fun.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Also version .650 has a really annoying melee friendly fire bug. So you have to be very, very careful, especially if you're cavalry. I had a teammate spawn right in front of me when I was cavalry and I hit him with my lance, killing me instantly.

edit: Just happened 3 times to me in one game. Ouch.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 12, 2009

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Don't worry, they're pretty terrible. They don't take themselves very seriously, but I do know of one or two that may be terrible server admins and might ban you for something stupid.

nK and ADD are the "good" clans, but they can be hit or miss.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just learned a new trick that helps a lot with manual block duels. Tap mouse1 to start a swing and then immediately tap it in another direction without using mouse2. It's a much faster way to feint an attack.

I'm not sure if counter-attack is implemented yet and I've only seen kick work properly a handful of times, but it's always hilarious. I haven't been able to chamber parry effectively yet.

Which one of you is Don't Stab Me Bro? You're pretty good.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I don't know, I am an absolute monster with the most expensive Nord 1-handed axe. It does 38c damage and it's pretty drat fast. I think it's my new favorite weapon. It chews up shields and can kill a lightly-armored person in a single overhead chop. It may not be as quick as a short sword but it's close and does a hell of a lot more damage.

The thing with spears is that sometimes the thrust animation doesn't need to play out, somebody will be chambering a thrust and then suddenly you're getting punctured. I don't think they're supposed to do as much damage that way but, yeah, thrust spamming seems kill pretty quickly.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I doubt that, since it seems to be laggier at lower pings. At least blocking feels good again.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Mongoose posted:

Sarranid Sultanate is now functional in single and multi-player with new equipment and horses.

Oh hell yeah! Jumping in now.

(This is Av_Bees, by the way)

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Chopstix posted:

You might not know this about Long axes but if you are too close then it'll just hit them with the wood part of the axe, hardly damaging them at all.

Also, what does unbalanced mean on a weapon?

It takes slightly longer to block/parry after attacking or preparing to attack. You need to time your attacks a little better and keep your distance. If they get close it's safer to kick them and back away than to try and block.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

^^ There's a bunch of game modes but they are all pure combat like most online FPSs.

Some more detail for your questions:

Zenodice posted:

1) Is there anywhere I can find a quest database or help on quests? I've gotten quests that were vague (follow a spy) from someone in a castle, left, saw a unit dart off and never found them again.
This quest sucks, I would avoid it if possible. You can only really do it if you have high tracking, spotting and pathfinding skills and you have either a very small party or an all-cavalry army. So, yeah, avoid it if possible.

Zenodice posted:

5) For horses, does charge affect how much damage the horse does when charging through people, the damage bonus you get from hitting people whilst charging or how many people it can plow through without stopping, or all of the above?
All of the above. edit: Nm I missed part of your post, it does not increase the damage you get from hitting people, only from your horse hitting people.

Zenodice posted:

I wonder as a matter of advice, should I be recruiting lots of heroes? I have about 7 right now and they all do fairly well.
More is always better, but keep in mind that they will start to bitch and moan about each other, eventually some of them will quit your party. You can persuade them to stay or try to find them again later. If one of them complains about the other, it is usually best to figure out which one is more important to you and take their side. Staying neutral or siding against them will lower their morale, causing them to leave.

Also, the best way to capture a castle or town is to wait until somebody else has besieged it and failed, then quickly swoop in and take it. There should be less than 50 people defending it then. This only works if they actually do battle, though, most of the time a siege will end because the attacking lords have severe ADD and poor memories and end up chasing after looters or something.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 16, 2010

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Zenodice posted:

Anyone got any good tips for sieging major capitols?

Cheap way: Lower difficulty and/or battle size.

Realistic way: Capture a castle first and start garrisoning troops there. Lots of them. Go attack a nearby town. Kill (not wound) as many as possible and then retreat and take a morale hit. Go grab some more troops at your castle and immediately attack again.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Mods use different saves. You can export your character and import his stats, but things like renown and properties do not carry over. Not sure if importing a character from vanilla would entirely work well, either, it might screw up your equipment.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Maarak posted:

In the native expansion mod, where can one purchase Ivory Bows?

You can't buy them, you can only get them from looting Vaegirs. They're somewhat rare but they're the best weapons in the game.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The servers are all dedicated. Because this is a beta, only a few people outside of Taleworlds have access to the server files, namely Shacknews and a few clans.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, if you can think of it, it's probably been suggested in the TaleWorlds forums. I don't think stamina is going to be in the game and I'd personally rather not see it.

2H spamming can be countered pretty easily unless they are very good at manual block. After playing a lot of TDM recently, I've come to learn that knowing your own weapon's reach is absolutely vital. If a Nord with a long axe is heading your way, stay near the limit of his range and wait for him to swing, step back so he misses, then immediately lunge in and hit him. If your weapon is fast enough you can often spam him to death since he won't be able to manual block that fast. Go for thrusts or overhead chops to really throw them off.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

ghetto wormhole posted:

Awlpike stuff

Awlpikes are best suited for when you're trying to chase somebody down, when your teammates are surrounding the enemy (so you can use your long reach to stab people in the back), or against cavalry. You shouldn't make it your primary weapon and should switch to a more versatile one before engaging in 1-on-1 melee combat.

The overhead attack works alright in close combat, if you're out of options you can try to use that to get yourself some breathing room.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Wow.

The wad of cash he pulls out is to prove he can keep buying new serials for whenever he gets banned. I'm glad to see Taleworlds is making money off this lunatic.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Well, it started out that way, but once SA discovered it and they started making money he was able to hire some people to help him out. I'm not sure how many employees he has now but it's at least several.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Blood and Steel is pretty good but it takes forever with all of the massive armies roaming around. The combat is a lot different so it's worth it just for a change of pace. It's updated pretty often, unlike 1257 and Litus.

edit: Looks like there's a new mod out with its own subforum about the British Isles during the Dark Ages. Looks interesting: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,135589.0.html

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 10, 2010

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I just tried it out, so far it is amazing. Make sure you also get the Polished Landscapes linked in that thread, it's easy to install and looks great.

The amount of detail I've seen so far is staggering, right down to how you loot bodies. (You mainly have to choose between burying, leaving to rot, or not looting. Burying them gives you honor, leaving them to rot takes your honor away. Each take time, so if there are hostile armies in the area it might be best to just leave.) The only problem is that you can tell that English is not the author's native language, but more than anything that just reminds me of the early Mount & Blade days.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 10, 2010

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Concerning Brytenwalda, I finally just managed to start my own kingdom on day 105 with 112% difficulty. Unlike what others have said, I decided to go the cavalry-heavy route. (Also from what I've gathered, Ireland has the best cavalry units (although they're extremely expensive to get to the highest level), while the Jutes arguably have the best infantry and the Welsh definitely have the best archers.)

Being an archer in this mod sucks, as all the bows have poo poo for accuracy and they don't do much damage. When I was messing around in a different save I cranked up my archery proficiency to 350 and set power draw to 10. The bow was still about as inaccurate as a throwing weapon in Native. That being said, a line of Welsh longbowmen will still tear an army to pieces as long as they're not forming a shield wall.

I like the way they have bandits set up in this. Ireland is a good place to start, you've got easy bandits in the north and somewhat harder ones in the south. When you think you're ready to take on 40+ guys wearing mail you can cruise on down to southeast England and take on Franks and Dena raiders.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Durgat posted:

What do you guys think about that compilation mod called Diplomacy?

It's not really a compilation mod, it's a mod that brings in a bunch of new kingdom management features and is intended to be integrated into other mods. If you download Diplomacy mod by itself it's just Native with the new diplomatic features but no other big changes like troops or weapons.

A lot of mods use it, such as 1257 and Brytenwalda, but not all of them are using the latest version of it.

I like it, even by itself it's a great mod.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

If there isn't a small grey circle next to the graphic of the lance in the lower-right corner, you can't ever couch with it. If you set the lancing difficulty to automatic or whatever in options you shouldn't need to press X at all if I remember correctly.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

TheTromboner posted:

CRPG is dead. The creater everything down after getting ddosed and didn't want to deal with it.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,149347.0.html

"The website is offline until my new webhost arrives, sorry for that :("

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

In M&B and Warband there's a formula for determining whether or not you can become a vassal, I can't remember it but it's based on renown and your relationship with the monarch. It's something like renown + 4xrelationship, it needs to add up to 150. So yeah, do one or two quests and you should be able to join up at around 130 renown.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

You need to own a city or a castle to stash your troops/prisoners.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I've found Prophesy of Pendor to be far more enjoyable when you start the game with a character much like the barbarian class from Blood & Steel. Export character, set strength to 65 and power strike/throw/draw to 5 each, import character, slaughter everything. If you keep damage to self on normal you'll still get wrecked time to time but you're pretty much a berserk wrecking ball until then.

Also, spoiler about gods: I've gotten random messages from gods in previous games saying stuff like "fight for justice", but last night a god gave me a ruby rune bow out of nowhere after my power draw skill got to 8. Small details like that make this mod great.

l33t Lurker posted:

Can anybody who's played the Brytenwalda mod tell me how to solve the "Destroy the Scoti lair" quest? It just suggests you follow a group's trail when they "go back to their lair to resupply", but I've been chasing guys around for days and getting nowhere. I've even turned on cheats, to look at the map and teleport all over the place, and I can't find a bandit lair anywhere.

That's a standard Warband quest, the bandit lair won't be on your map until you've actually witnessed the bandits stop there for resupply. A good thing to do is to have a high spotting skill and then hang out where you think they might be spawning from. It's easier with a smaller party since if they see you they'll either run away or attack. When they're just doing their normal patrol they'll stop by the lair time to time, if you see them do that the lair will appear on your map.

That's actually one of the better quests, clearing out the lair will give you some decent loot and you and your hero companions will get a lot of experience when you tell the lord afterwards.

edit: Also I've noticed that PoP has the experience multipliers turned down, if you lack patience like me and you want you and your guys to gain experience at the normal rate you can edit module.ini and look for player_xp_multiplier, you can set them back to the Native values or higher:
player_xp_multiplier = 2.0
hero_xp_multiplier = 2.0
regulars_xp_multiplier = 3.0

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 12, 2011

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

DrPop posted:

Anyone have any other ideas what could be wrong with my game? :(

I don't know. Did you try the Taleworlds forums?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Moridin920 posted:

Someone should make a Game of Thrones mod...

There's one being made. No telling when it will be done or if it will be any good (probably not), though.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

For those interested, I made a handy face pack mod that combines the two best out there right now: Link

edit:
Also, new version of Brytenwalda just came out. Link

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 30, 2011

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

It seems this version is still extremely buggy. Although at this point I'm not sure if some of these things are bugs or just terrible design decisions.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

That's probably the Warband version 1.142 bug. It was fixed in Warband version 1.143 but unless mods have been ported over to that version, the bug will remain. I believe Blood & Steel was not ported, so certain items will never show up in shops. These are most often boots and gauntlets but there are other items I've been unable to locate.

If whatever mod you're playing has the cheat menu included, you can use that to open up the all items window and buy your items from there. But then you won't get any of the modified versions (balanced, masterwork, hardened, lordly, etc) unless you pick them up off the battlefield.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ludo Friend posted:

Starting off is annoying however. Just beat a small band of theives solo, but can't find their last guy. He's hiding somewhere on the map, restreated twice hoping if I restarted the fight he'd come to me. But nope. Any advice how to find the last straggler?

Keep having crashes when leaving Mead Halls as well. Might hold off playing this till the first patch gets released.

Press backspace. Look for the red dot on the map. There's your guy.

This happens to me every battle so far, there's always 1 or 2 guys stuck in their spawn and I have to run all the way over there.

Infidel Castro posted:

So the vibe I'm getting is that if I don't give a poo poo about multiplayer, Viking Conquest is decent?

I played it for an hour and a half so far and it feels like a really well-made M&B mod, albeit a buggy one. I don't know if I'd say it's worth $10-15, but if you love M&B then I'd say go for it. I'm enjoying it.

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 12, 2014

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

No, axes do cutting damage, but the armor is made useless by the stamina system which makes you completely exhausted after swinging your weapon a few times or running up a hill. Thankfully you can turn the stamina system off in SP and it doesn't exist in MP.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Nuclear War posted:

If you beat up the guy at the stonebridge once you get to Denmark, there's a two handed club to be had. I haven't actually used it yet, because it needs 25 strength but its the closest I've seen to a daneaxe

Also know that if you lose that fight, your character actually dies and you get kicked back to the main menu.

Also if you go to Odin's Cave in Norway you can get a pretty amazing 1-handed sword. You have to fight a large group of bandits by yourself, but you only have to kill the bandit leader and then tab out to get the sword.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The problem with mods that focus on infantry combat is that no other game comes close to Mount & Blade's horseback fighting in terms of just how intuitive and fun it is, whereas other games arguably do infantry combat a lot better. The melee combat can be entertaining, especially in multiplayer where there is a lot more depth to it, but it isn't nearly as fleshed out or engaging as the lancer/horse archer gameplay so mods like VC or Brytenwalda that gimp horses for realism really suffer for it. Some may disagree with me but I remember the original developer being surprised that people liked the melee combat so much since it wasn't his focus.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao, just lmao, if you didn't always make your guy some combination of a lung-fish and whatever the word OVERDUMP would look like if it was a human being. If you dude didn't have a concave face or was distinguishable from a bag of chips someone stepped on and then arranged into a face then you can just go.

Hopefully I can continue my Smeagol role play experience in mountain blade 2: boner lords.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Not sure if this was posted already about Bannerlord but the other features Armagan talks about here are really exciting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGscigXabI

Diplomacy seems like it's been influenced by the Total War series and you don't have to be faction leader to engage in it, you can conduct diplomacy relative to how much influence you have in the faction. Also, you can sally out during a siege to do hit-and-run attacks on their soldiers and siege equipment. Cavalry units can be useful in a siege now. Hopefully the AI will try to pull off attacks like this. Some of the animations look really good, my favorites from this video are when your house gets shot out from under you and the way this guy ragdolls when he gets shot in the back with an arrow.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

TheTrend posted:

I was going to post this haha. Mount and Blade was like the original early access game for PC. I think you could get into the beta for free really early on and it slowly iterated and updated over the span of I think my entire high school and early college career.

I bought the original M&B for $10 I think, back when the only town you could enter was "Zendar" and you mostly spent your time hunting river pirates. It was still a really fun game since there really was nothing else like it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Section Z posted:

In what few games Ive played or looked at where it's sort of a thing, trying to be a professional Merc for factions seems to always make more people angry at you than taking up a life of crime and only pissing off maybe one or two factions tops, and a much slower rate compared to "You signed on with the Swadians/Tri-Tech! Good job half the factions instantly loathes you and will continue to hate you even after the respective factions make peace!"

Being a merc isn't half bad starting out since you are getting your troop wages covered and then some. I'm not sure how you're getting people to hate you, usually the best way to raise relations with other lords is to capture them in battle and then release them. Most of their personality types will give you a boost to relations when you do this.

Sacking villages is generally a bad idea though, but IIRC you don't need to do that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

All of the animations from these videos have gotten me excited, particularly the weapon hit animations. Even stabbing someone with a spear looked pretty satisfying, I can't wait to hammer people in the face from horseback.