Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

The two handed axe for the nords is ridiculous. Usually I can do decent with a spear and shield combo but those things tear through even the higher quality shields (2 or 3 good hits for whatever level it is below heavy). It seems like you either have to go ranged or pick a two hander to actually have a chance against someone who's good with them.

The nord long axe is stupid as hell and I have no idea what problem the devs were trying to solve by adding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

eesau posted:

0.641 is out. They reverted back to the old vertex buffer system, and everything looks ok again!

This new version seems really laggy though, is it just me or did someone else notice? Also, I used to have a constant ping of about 35 before, now it's always over 130. Can't get any kills with a ping that high...

have the US servers switched over yet?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Mr.48 posted:

Right here, although I gotta say I would have preferred it if the beta included the new singleplayer, since the multiplayer is just your standard deathmatch most of the time, and not really any more fun that fighting against AI opponents in singleplayer battles.

play on Battle mode with a full server and you'll see how it gets a lot more involved than your standard deathmatch. Squad tactics develop and it gets really intense and fun.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

PlantHead posted:

Or siege, my favourite game type so far.

siege (and all the free respawn modes) frustrates me because people are a whole lot less cautious about dying (since they respawn right away) so it's a whole lot of 'run forward / press attack / durr' play style. Castle3 does look pretty cool though. Battle is played a lot slower / more thoughtful, so I like it a lot more. Also there is a whole lot more for cavalry to do in battles rather than sieges. I also am old and boring so I don't mind waiting to respawn while I watch the rest of my team win / lose, so YMMV

Anybody else getting terrible framerates in .641? Mine went down to the high teens from the 80's before.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

One thing I don't understand about couching, assuming the lances/spears are the same length, will a couch always beat a manual thrust or can a manual thrust beat a couch if it's timed right?

previous to this version, a manual thrust could outrange (slightly) the couch AND you could adjust the aim of the stab a lot easier than couching. The new version, though, seems like couching is a whole lot better than thrusting. I've only had about 15 minutes play on the new one though.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
do we have a list of names of players in the beta from this thread? In the game my names are:

Spinoza
Robert, Robert Kirk
or
Adam Cherlampeter

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Couching still works like in singleplayer it's just a bit harder to aim. Just build up some speed and the lance will automatially lower, and try to line up your target with your lance as much as possible when you pass them.

I like the tweaks they made to the couching system in .641, it's a lot more predictable without being too overpowered. Mostly just make sure your lance is on the same side as your target and if you're close enough you'll hit.

Couched lancing is really really easy now. I thought it needed a tiny range boost over version .635, but it seems to have gotten a huge one in .641. I've only had a little time playing the new version (due to graphics issues...it's choppy as hell for me now) but I got so many ridiculous couch kills. I am a pretty dedicated cav player, and I was regularly going 18 - 4 (kills to deaths), with more than half of those kills being couched kills, on most battle maps before. It's going to be crazy now.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Splash Damage posted:

Can I play without applying by downloading the 0.641 500mb client? I've applied a few months ago and haven't got a response yet.

you can download and install it, and play the training scenarios and the quick battles, but to play multiplayer requires your serial number to be on their list of accepted testers.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
spiked club is 1h/2h too, so it deffo performs much worse as a 1hander than dedicated 1handers (like the pick)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
game went from smooth as silk to unplayable on my computer after version .635 :( :( :( :( anybody else having framerate problems? Running an ATI HD 4850

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Dave Mustard posted:

Wow, so, I tried .635, (I didn't start playing the beta until .650.) because I wanted to see if it was true that performance had really dropped since the recent versions and confirm that it wasn't just that I was using an ancient pc, and wow, the performance difference is amazing. .650 seems completely laggy, slow, and unplayable to me where as .635 is perfect, completely smooth framerates even with large numbers of dudes. In fact the only downside I can see in to .635 is that the weapons don't lay on the ground as they should and instead they float upright. (also that the horseback swinging animations seem a little wonky but thrusting seems great.

I did a little research and apparently the reason for this performance difference is this

"
Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------
Rolled back vertex buffer system to the old one for the time being."

Really praying they change it back soon so I can start to actually play properly.

I'm having the same problem. Are you using an ATI video card? I have a HD4850 and it's laggy as heck. I started the beta in v .515 and ran it smooth as hell up until .641 (I never played .640 as it was out only one day) I'm really frustrated, as I can't play the game well anymore. :mad:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
ennio morricone soundtracks

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Chopstix posted:

our strategy of going all calv and hiding in the barn, and then charging out,

that was freakin awesome. i was on the other team, playing as cav, kind of circling around outside of the barn, waiting for our footmen to go in after you guys when I saw y'all break out. good stuff.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TwingeCrag posted:

I wish I could hit people with weapons from horseback :(

It's about timing / horsebumping them. once you get it down it's not that hard.

of course you'll probably get one-shot killed by loving throwing axes all the time but whatevs.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SERPUS posted:

I hate Battle mode, especially in that stupid town map. I'm no good at this game, so this mode translates into me watching other people jerk around for 10 minutes while I wait to spawn.

And why do all the good deathmatch servers have to be "DUALS ONLY NO HORSE". With whomever said it before, those servers are only fun for the 3 minutes it takes me to be kicked after I shoot/couch everyone down.

because dueling without the horse is how you get good enough to last more than 1 minute in battle mode. running around couching people in deathmatch is good for the ego I guess but does nothing to make you any better at the game. i don't particularly like dueling either, but after i bit the bullet and did it a while, i got a lot better at battle.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My only real beef with horse guys is them jumping a perfectly placed spear thrust that should've killed their horse. I kind of wish jumping was an automated thing for obstacles only. :argh:

i'll give up horse jumping when infantry intentionally jumping into charging horses and swinging knocks the infantry flat on their rear end and does damage.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Just throwing in my opinion that playing the beta as of now is pretty annoying, as the community is the absolute worst I have ever seen in a game. I killed three guys in the same clan or whatever and was promptly banned from the server. Since I only really like to play on one server (it's the Courtyard where it's the player faction against a poo poo ton of bots) that basically means these three faggots have made me unable to play the game for however long a "ban" lasts.

a) why do you only like playing on one server. that seems to be pretty self-limiting. maybe you shouldn't be so finicky?

b) if it was players vs bots why did you kill other players?

I'm not saying that the community isn't retarded (it is) but not to the point where it's unplayable....

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

PhantomZero posted:

Don't worry about sucking at it, you are playing against some people who have been playing for months. Try being an archer, its probably the easiest to kill with when you are just starting out.

Or play infantry and just follow the best player on your team and watch his back. Make sure you don't TK him if FF is on, though.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I'm finding the new patch sooooooo much better. It runs a ton smoother on my computer, and blocking is decent again. I think I blocked more attacks in a half hour of playing than I did for the entirety of 0.660. Playing on the flat field maps with 40+ players is fun as hell too.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Mizkif posted:

I doubt that, since it seems to be laggier at lower pings. At least blocking feels good again.

maybe that's why i've been doing so well. my ping is normally in the 90 to 100 range, and still is since the patch, but my scores have gone up dramatically. most of that is probably due to blocking being easier, but probably some is due to the leveling effect that slowing down the low-ping folks has had. Still, I hope they smooth it out. I plan on having a low ping eventually...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

adisca posted:

Horse archers are an even bigger problem than lancers though. They are just not fun at all to fight sometimes. Unless the make a mistake, it's really hard to get them.

just forget about even trying to be infantry (you DO play other classes than infantry, don't you) and shoot back at them. A team of good shooting people can own up horse archers all day long.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

adisca posted:

Of course, but it's not exactly a fair fight. Perhaps if horse archery was less accurate than it is, but even then, playing against a specific faction shouldn't shoehorn you into an all archery/all horse game. Even against the AI in the campaign, horse archery is ridiculously strong. Having people to actually control the horses just makes it worse!

I like the variety, but have you ever seen that Khanate lose a match? There's really no excuse for it in my opinion.

like I said, Khanate loses regularly against teams who get smart and go all archer/xbow (with one or two inf to keep the lancers honest) and know how to shoot. That's really all it takes.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
that said, people in the game have such an incredible unwarranted hardon for infantry / toe-to-toe melee dueling, that it's totally rare for a time to wise up and get the proper troop mix vs the khanate, so yeah they do win a lot.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
The other thing that balances lancing in Warband is that human players are much better at noticing approaching lancers and moving to avoid them than the AI is. It's really not difficult at all to avoid an approaching lancer if you know he's coming.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
sarranid cavalry owns hard

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Does anyone know how to reliably hit stuff with a couched lance? It seems to be a bit of a crapshoot compared to M&B, yet I've seen enough people do it consistently to know there is a way, yet whenever I try it the lance waves all over the place and I wind up missing completely :argh:

1. only go after people from behind. if they can see you, they're a lot smarter than bots, and will dodge easily

2. aim a little lower than you normally do, especially against other horsemen.

3. imagine that you are 'tripping' the target with the lance as you pass by, rather than spearing it into them. the most effective tactic for me is to be turning slowly away from the target (i.e. turning slowly to your left, while your lance is on the right side of the horse, aimed as far to the right as possible) and sweeping the lance across the target's path

that's it basically.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

darkhand posted:

This seems horrible. The small amount of time I played in multiplayer was just constant lag kills. This update seems like it will cause even more issues. Although, maybe not, because I couldn't find a game with less than <100 ping.

If you have more than 100 ping, the change won't effect you at all. Even if you have a small ping (I've never been so lucky...) testers are reporting that the effect is barely noticable

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

darkhand posted:

Oh ok, that makes sense, I guess. I still couldn't find any servers with decent ping. They must not have dedicateds near me.
I must have got confused because all the servers had weird names like "Jessi's Conquest Server", I assumed it was peer-to-peer

what country are you in? There are 8 dedicated US servers (US_1, US_2, etc etc) and about 4 or 5 dedicated euro servers, plus about 10 - 15 clan / private servers. Make sure you hit 'search' on the server list rather than refresh, to load the current list.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Arven posted:

Just started playing Warband again for the first time in two months and godddamn... I really hate the combat system.

The accepted glitch that lets you change the direction of your swing while swinging is lame as hell, and as a result the whole thing is a twitchfest.

It's not a glitch, it's intentional, and you don't change direction while swinging. What you do is prepare a swing (say, right - to - left) and then while holding the attack button, tap the block button (or hold it down), move your mouse to the side you want to attack, and then release the block button, and your attack will have moved to that side. Relase the attack button to 'release' the attack. Without feinting there is really no way of faking another player out, and as people get better at manual blocking (trust me it's not that hard, just spend some time practicing on deathmatch duel servers) they become completely able to withstand any number of attacks. Feinting (what this is called)really adds tons and tons of depth to the combat. They took feinting away around vers .590 and just added it back around .670 or so and I have to say it's a welcome return. It makes it a bit confusing for new players, but trust me, just take some time to learn it and you'll probably enjoy it.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

PenguinBob posted:

i cannot think of any situation in which the overhead pike swing would be useful.

it keeps enemies from just blocking downward (against the stab) and being invulnerable to you.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Huckabee Sting posted:

It really feels like they actually punish you for manual blocking. If you block a giant ax correctly it takes you a second to retaliate where as they can swing again instantly. So if they are just spamming your only hope is to try to kick or hope they relent a bit. This is even worse for me because the best ping I can get on a server is 150. There should be some sort of delay before the attacker who gets blocked by a manual block is allowed to attack again. Less so for shields; there should be some reward for the risk you take on when blocking with out a shield.

that's your main problem right there. I would just trust that you'll eventually find better latency to servers once the game is released, rather than put in wierd mechanics.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Prize Winner posted:

If I get a message telling me to talk to a lord but he's in a siege, do I just have to fail that quest or is there a way?

you usually have like 60 days to do a quest like that, and sieges last for a day or two at most. just wait.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Zenodice posted:

How would one go about ordering people to follow me?

if you can't figure it out within 2 seconds of talking to them, something is wrong.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Zenodice posted:

I assumed I might be able to do it remotely, like call them all to one place.

I figured out I had to go talk to them literally right after I posted this.

you can call them to one place by talking to a guy and having him summon everybody or something like that. It's kind of like when you're a vassal and the king calls you to follow him.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
(at least in version 1.011) A real quick way to make a lot of money early in the game is to buy furs from the Vaegir villages in the snow around Khudan (in the 40 - 80 denar range) and then sell them at the Rhodok town in the opposite corner of the map for about 350 denars per. If you cross the bridge and go by Suno and then up and over that hill you can take a relatively risk-free route and make tons of cash. I always start out with 3 points in pathfinding and trade and build up a big war chest by doing a few solo trade runs before I start fighting. With a bunch of money it makes it a lot easier. You can also buy the furs from Khudan itself, but the profit margin isn't quite as big. (they sell for around 80 in town)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Well the thing is, now anyone can host a game and if you are the host, you can kick/ban people whenever you want.

probably best to hang around a (privately hosted) server for a while and get a feel for the kind of play that is expected there and then leave if you don't want to play that way

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Eonwe posted:

My experience with these types of games is not that he violated a rule, but that he killed someone with admin powers.

That's not been my experience with m&b, quite the opposite. People will be playing on a server with certain 'house rules' in effect and agreed on and one guy will come in and either not read them, or ignore them and be like 'It's a free country lol i do what I want'. I see that happen quite often, actually

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

FearOfABlackKnob posted:

I suppose you're one of those people that like those wacky rules like "You can only swing once in a perpendicular fashion every 3 seconds!"

I don't like em at all, and usually leave if I don't feel like playing that way, but when you're in somebody else's house...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
So if I download the installer over bittorrent, I just need to buy an unlock key for it? from where? Both Taleworlds and Paradox websites seem to be dead on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Athropos posted:

Has anyone here played Chivalry Total War? I loved that poo poo. Deathmatch style game with swords, bows, shields and all. If I were to buy this game pretty much only for the multiplayer experience, would I get my money's worth?

Warband multiplayer is fun as hell. It seems simple but it's got a pretty stiff learning curve, which means that it rewards skilled play very well. Once you put the time and practice in, it really pays off.