Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hey backpackers, for those of you who got Aussie ID cards/driver's licenses, what did you use for your three forms of ID (assuming other states are similar)? I'm an international student so was able to use that ID, but my partner will be on a WHV and not have access to one of those. Passport and signed credit card are easy, and it shouldn't be difficult to get her signed up for a bank account (I did it wholly from overseas) to prove a residential address, but it looks hard to come up with one more form of ID for her, unless they accept multiple credit/bank cards or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
I just use my US ID cards and a utility bill if they need proof of address, don't overthink it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Omgz posted:

I just use my US ID cards and a utility bill if they need proof of address, don't overthink it.

That works in normal cases (pretty chill that you can drive here without even an IDP), but I actually need to get proof she's a resident of Tasmania so we can file for a deed of significant relationship :kiddo: One of my backpacker friends did it, but was almost two years ago and she's forgotten what she used.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I found this thread by accident and not really looking for information about this, but is this the right place to ask about camping destinations etc?

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That works in normal cases (pretty chill that you can drive here without even an IDP), but I actually need to get proof she's a resident of Tasmania so we can file for a deed of significant relationship :kiddo: One of my backpacker friends did it, but was almost two years ago and she's forgotten what she used.

http://www.justice.tas.gov.au/bdm/id_requirements_for_deed_of_relationship

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

You know, I was reading that, and didn't realise it didn't specify "Australian Driver's License"... was just carrying over the "Australian" part of the requirement in my head from the driver's license conversion stuff. :saddowns: I've got to go down to Service Tasmania to get my motorbike added to my Parks pass, so I'll ask them if they'll take a US driver's license for that anyhow. Not entirely necessary (like you said), but nice to have.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I found this thread by accident and not really looking for information about this, but is this the right place to ask about camping destinations etc?

I can give you a few Tassie recs now that I'm back from my trip. Also, wanted to give a +1 to Wicked Campers for rentals, rented a Nissan Cube with a rooftop tent that worked out great for a roadtrip I had with some visiting mates.

Gotta watch out for the random stuff spraypainted on them though, in our case it was "A WOMAN NEEDS A MAN LIKE A FISH NEEDS A BICYCLE" (three dudes, people in small town Tasmania got endless amusement out of it), saw two uncomfortable-looking girls in a van that read "A BLOWJOB A DAY BEATS AN APPLE" :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Please don't rent wicked campers, they're the most misogynistic piece of poo poo company ever.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Tasmania is a bit far, but I live in South Brisbane and went to Giraween in 2013, Kosciusko February this year, and I just got back from Giraween again except this time we explored way more of the surrounding parks, got no idea at all where to go next time thats similar to those that isn't Nightcap with it's crazy amount of rain.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Tasmania is a bit far? Like, from Brisbane? A bit far for what? Did you walk to those other places?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sharks Below posted:

Tasmania is a bit far? Like, from Brisbane? A bit far for what? Did you walk to those other places?

We drove

You can't drive on water.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
There is a ferry you can take from Port Melbourne. I'm sure there are tons of other great places to go closer to you as well though.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

We drove

You can't drive on water.

I just thought it was a really strange comment to make, like why is Tasmania too far and other places aren't? Tasmania loving rules man. There's literally no good excuse for not going there if you live in Australia.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sharks Below posted:

I just thought it was a really strange comment to make, like why is Tasmania too far and other places aren't? Tasmania loving rules man. There's literally no good excuse for not going there if you live in Australia.

My family wants to go with me but with my friends, it's not what we want to do. Too far is wrong, too expensive and not what we want is better. We want to go in our own cars and have a cheap roadtrip in tents w/ 4 wheel driving too. Can't really go proper off roading in a rental.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Sure man, that makes more sense :) If you ever get a chance and the timing / situation is right, I think it's an awesome place and the wilderness is like nothing else (but I grew up in Central QLD so ya p different).

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sharks Below posted:

Sure man, that makes more sense :) If you ever get a chance and the timing / situation is right, I think it's an awesome place and the wilderness is like nothing else (but I grew up in Central QLD so ya p different).

My sister finishes year 12 at the end of next year, mum wants to go on a holiday there to celebrate all of us being grown up, so I'll get to see it.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about though, the holiday I just got back from with my mates cost us $110ish each for the entire week. To be fair, it was only 3 hours away from where I live in south Brisbane so we spent gently caress all on fuel, but none of us have any idea of where to go next time.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 14, 2015

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

My sister finishes year 12 at the end of next year, mum wants to go on a holiday there to celebrate all of us bring grown up, so I'll get to see it.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about though, the holiday I just got back from with my mates cost us $110ish each for the entire week. To be fair, it was only 3 hours away from where I live in south Brisbane so we spent gently caress all on fuel, but none of us have any idea of where to go next time.

Hmmm. What about up to Deepwater NP near Agnes Water? Agnes is incredible. Blackdown Tableland is incredible too, west of Rockhampton, so a bit more of a hike. Eungella is west of Mackay but a lovely spot too, a bit more farmy and less wildnernessy though. There are some incredible places to go offroading up way north too near Cairns/Cooktown but ya that's really far.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HookShot posted:

Please don't rent wicked campers, they're the most misogynistic piece of poo poo company ever.

Whoops, nevermind then I guess. The camper itself was physically good, FWIW.

Omgz posted:

There is a ferry you can take from Port Melbourne. I'm sure there are tons of other great places to go closer to you as well though.

They've kinda nerfed the Spirit of Tasmania in the last year to make it more nickel-and-dimey from what I hear. Definitely don't take the ferry unless you've got a really compelling reason to bring your own car, I imagine a lot of the time after you crunch the numbers of flying and renting it works out making more sense to do that.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I found the ferry to be good value if you live in Victoria, but if you're driving in from interstate you may as well fly to Hobart and rent.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

freebooter posted:

I found the ferry to be good value if you live in Victoria, but if you're driving in from interstate you may as well fly to Hobart and rent.

If you've got a fun car, Tasmania has some excellent driving roads. Like, some of the best in Australia. I'm planning a driving/eating/golfing trip :)

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Finch! posted:

If you've got a fun car, Tasmania has some excellent driving roads. Like, some of the best in Australia. I'm planning a driving/eating/golfing trip :)

Youre going to have a loving excellent time. We really enjoyed the Cradle to Coast trail, but the Huon is also incredible. DO NOT miss the town of Stanley in the north-west. If you have a few extra bux, splurge on a night at the Technician's Cottage at the Cable Station. The fridge and pantry are stocked with local foods and produce and uhhhhhhh yeah look just do it if you can, it owns every bone.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Also if you're roadtripping Tasmania do NOT do what some people do and skip the road to Strathgordon just because it's a dead end. Going to Tasmania and not driving out to Lake Gordon and Pedder is like going to a theme park and not going on any rides.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Who's a good carrier to buy a prepaid sim card from?

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
I use amaysim because it's cheap and haven't had any issues in melbourne/interstate when I've traveled.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Who's a good carrier to buy a prepaid sim card from?

None of them.

But Telstra if you have to, I guess. Especially if you're going outside a city, Telstra tend to have the best coverage.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010
If you're strictly staying in cities or big towns do not buy Telstra. They are easily the worst for charges.

Vodaphone are pretty good pre-paid from previous experiences.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Uh Vodaphone is pretty much the worst pre-paid carrier in Australia.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Hm. How about this: are there any that work in both Australia and NZ?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hm. How about this: are there any that work in both Australia and NZ?

No. Though Vodaphone in NZ is really good, it's just in Australia that they suck for some reason. The Vodaphone $50 international prepaid SIM is amazing value in NZ.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I have Telstra's cheapest prepaid (100 minutes, 1.2gb data, $30 for 28 days) and it's totally fine :shrug: Had Optus but it's not really worth a wallaby's fart outside of Hobart.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Optus is cheaper than telstra and also has good coverage. I have never been somewhere in Queensland or New South Wales where having telstra would make a difference, except for a friends house in the Brisbane suburb of Carindale where telstra reception is twice as good in that you'll have it for 2 minutes an hour as opposed to 1

If you go to Kosciusko and surrrounds, Optus is just flat better. I had 4G on Kosciuskos peak where my Telstra friend had nothing.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Optus is cheaper than telstra and also has good coverage. I have never been somewhere in Queensland or New South Wales where having telstra would make a difference, except for a friends house in the Brisbane suburb of Carindale where telstra reception is twice as good in that you'll have it for 2 minutes an hour as opposed to 1

If you go to Kosciusko and surrrounds, Optus is just flat better. I had 4G on Kosciuskos peak where my Telstra friend had nothing.

IDK about the contract plans, but the difference between the two with prepaid is marginal. Optus was $30/mo for 100mins/1.5GB, I get almost the same ($30/28 days for 100mins/1.2GB) now with Telstra. The shorter billing cycle works out to an extra month for the year, but spread out over that time it's a difference of what, $2 and change per month? I haven't travelled on the mainland, but my backpacker friends swear by Telstra coverage for being out in the wops, based on my experiences in Tasmania I have to agree.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Optus used to be terrible in Tasmania but I was there for a few weeks in October 2014 and it was fine in almost all places. They've put up a lot of towers.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pompous Rhombus posted:

IDK about the contract plans, but the difference between the two with prepaid is marginal. Optus was $30/mo for 100mins/1.5GB, I get almost the same ($30/28 days for 100mins/1.2GB) now with Telstra. The shorter billing cycle works out to an extra month for the year, but spread out over that time it's a difference of what, $2 and change per month? I haven't travelled on the mainland, but my backpacker friends swear by Telstra coverage for being out in the wops, based on my experiences in Tasmania I have to agree.

Optus got better plans recently, 300 mins, 1.5gb, unlimited texts for $30. When i got my current plan, the equivalent at telstra was $45 but they change all the time.

I'm postpaid but my friend with prepaid has the same plan prepaid.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Optus got better plans recently, 300 mins, 1.5gb, unlimited texts for $30. When i got my current plan, the equivalent at telstra was $45 but they change all the time.

I'm postpaid but my friend with prepaid has the same plan prepaid.

It was 1.5GB when I had them too, I think the 300 minutes/unlimited texts is the only new bit. For me personally (and I suspect a lot of people with the base tier plans), 100 minutes and 1.2GB is actually more than I need, I would happily pay half for half as much of each.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought 1.5GB was not enough, so I went with a $50 5GB plan with Telstra (wish there'd been a middle ground) but I might have been wrong. I don't think I've come anywhere near using 5. I would have been happy with 2.5 I think, but frustratingly nobody seemed to offer anything between 2 and 5. Except Vodafone but gently caress them.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

What about amaysim unlimited? You get 2GB (+ text/calls) for $30 and can always add a 1GB data pack for $10 when you're running out.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Headed to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef in a couple of weeks. Suggestions on hotels, hostels, and other attractions?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Hey thread, been a while.

I'm looking for a new place to live a bit earlier than I thought. My current deal is a no-contract arrangement I found on my uni's (physical) bulletin board, so I'm pretty much clueless as to how proper rental agreements work here.

Does everyone who lives in the apartment typically have to be on the lease? Or if I was willing to assume all the liability (being on the hook for 100% of the rent, paying the bond, etc), could it just be me? My partner isn't going to be joining me for another month and a half at least, so I was going to be eating the full rent until then anyways. She's also from overseas and won't have a job when she arrives, so it's not as if she'd have a rental/credit history that would help. My own is minimal (international student that's been here for a year) but I can at least show I've got plenty of savings and a very modest paycheque from my part-time job that at least covers the full rent/utils and then a bit, and have current landlord as a reference.

Breaking a contract: seems tough to find a less-than-12 month contract, I really have no idea where the heck I'll be living post-November. Ideally I'd love to stay where I am, but depending on where/if I find a job after I graduate (teacher) it could be literally anywhere in the state, if not interstate. Is it generally low hassle to sublease a place, assuming you find someone interested? I assume if we just broke the contract I'd be out the bond plus get reported to rental history agencies, which would probably make it difficult to find my next place given my nonexistent history.

Any hidden stuff to look out for? I'll obviously be paying utils (my current place includes water and internet), do I have to pay council fees for rubbish pickup and stuff, or would that stuff be paid for by the property owner?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

A lot of places will do a 6 month lease if you ask. It's just that rents are on the way down in most places so landlords are trying to lock in longer term tenants. Tell them you want to stay for as long as possible, but it's just not certain and see what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
In addition to the above, the standard lease breaking clause in Tassie just requires you to pay for the Real Estate agent to advertise for new tenants and cover the rent until new tenants move in.

The advertising fee is capped at a percentage equal to the percentage of time left on the lease, so if you break the lease 6 months into a 12 month lease you only pay half the cost.

Edit: you should still get your bond back.

Edit 2: this is all in my experience having broken a lease in the past and recently reading the clause in the lease I signed a month ago. I'm not sure if all agents do it like this but it seems pretty standard from what I've seen.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 17, 2016