Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

goku chewbacca posted:

Is everything really that expensive? Is the U.S., I could buy an AT&T GoPhone for $20, and it probably already has $10-20 in call credits on it.

Yes, things will be comparatively expensive. That said, I'm sure you could get a phone for much less that $100.

quote:

Have you seen the cost of imported consumer goods drop as the Aussie$ gained value? On a related note, what happens when you use your stronger dollar to buy American goods over the Internet? Is the shipping cost prohibitive?
No we have not. Retailers are assholes and even lobbied the government to implement a tax on internet purchases because they were "hurting their business". It was not successful. People buy a LOT of stuff online from overseas here, availability and choice are just as much of an issue as price.

Hopefully some else can answer the rest, but as a general rule don't label anything you want to go through the post as "cookies".

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HookShot posted:

I had an optus wireless card as well until we got broadband installed and it was balls.

I'd constantly get little-no connection, even during real off-peak times. And I'm pretty much on the Gold Coast so it's not like I live in the middle of nowhere either.

Friends of ours who DO live in the middle of nowhere have a bigpond wireless card and their works really well. I can sometimes barely tell the difference between their and ours.

Optus is the worst for everything. Case closed.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey Australia thread, I'd be most obliged if some of y'all could please rank the leading mobile (and mobile only) networks in order of best to worst.
Or if you don't feel like playing this game, instead talk me out of ditching my unbearably poo poo 3 contract/phone for an early Galaxy SII upgrade with Vodaphone... :suicide:... just kidding, Vodaphone are poo poo.
Feel free to ridicule me for being with 3 in the first place, we live and learn.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 27, 2011

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ta for the replies. They kind of just confirm my suspicions, if I want usable 3g I'll have to go with Telstra.
Optus wont see penny one from me, never again.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

HookShot posted:

Yeah just go to any electronics store and you can get the sim card + $10 worth of credit for $10 usually. You'll just need a passport since they require ID.

It's been way too long since I've had a cell in Aus to know what the paygo plans are like now, but all the major websites should have their info:

telstra.com.au
optus.com.au
three.com.au
virginmobile.com.au
vodaphone.com.au (don't use them)

Basically if you can afford it Telstra is better than everyone else, Optus is second best and for the love of god avoid everyone else. Especially vodaphone. I say this having never been a vodaphone customer, I've just heard so... many... horror... stories...

This. Avoid Vodafone like the plague

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ExecuDork posted:

We seem to be talking about phones here anyway, and nobody replied to my question in the recommend-me-a-phone-and-plan thread...

My contract here in Canada, with Sasktel, is up at the beginning of January. I'll be in Tasmania by then, and I'm leaning towards Telstra and some kind of pre-pay idea as I'll be there for 4 months and it's about time I upgraded to a smart phone anyways.

The smartphones I can buy here are mostly not exactly the same phones I could buy in Hobart - Sasktel doesn't sell the Samsung Galaxy Y, for example, but does sell the Galaxy Rugby, while Telstra appears to be the other way around. Sasktel talks about 4G, Telstra something called "NextG". If I buy a 4G phone in Canada, will I be able to use an Australian SIM card in Australia? If I buy a Telstra phone, will I be able to swap in a Canadian SIM card when I return to Canada?

Next G and 4g aren't the same but Telstra do have 4g coverage in major cities. It's not extensive though, especially in Tasmania, but they'll have a coverage map on their website.

The answer to both questions re: SIM cards is "yes, if the phone is unlocked".

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ExecuDork posted:

I guess I'll buy a phone while I'm in Hobart, get it unlocked (I'll be there for more than 90 days, so I might go that route), and bring it back with me to Saskatchewan. Then argue with Sasktel until the sun goes nova.

Might want to consider buying it before you leave North America. We pay crazy time prices for electronics here.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr Chips posted:

No, you're not reading it wrong. For some things, Australian buyers do get reamed, but for mobile telecomms service and gear Australians don't do that badly (at least in comparison to the US/Canada, although comparisons with the UK aren't as good).

Really? I assumed we did.

Yeah that probably isn't a bad deal (except that it will be locked) and if you're in Tasmania, Telstra is your best bet. We're not exaggerating the general shittyness of coverage by our telecoms. If you're literally not leaving Hobart, I guess any of the others are fine though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm assuming that wasn't a typo and you mean September next year? The weather should be quite nice, although October would greatly increase your chances of no rain (in South Australia that is).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mr Chips posted:

Actually, summer is wetter than the winter months for Oodanadataa, but that's not saying much because it's in the middle of a desert. The mean rainfall for October is 14mm.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_017043.shtml

Yup, you're right. I wasn't thinking that far north.

September will be fine Silent Movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

i am bones posted:

Adeladians!

I'm on a Working Holiday Visa and struggling to find casual, non-skilled work here. Are there any non-obvious options that I may not be aware of? I've browsed through the usual seek, careerone, gumtree, etc. I'm looking into temp agencies now; any specific place I should go to? Any advice would be helpful.

Alternatively, if anyone just wants to hang out, I have A LOT of free time! :D I know there are goon meets for Sydney and Melbourne, but haven't seen any for Adelaide (not surprising). How many of you goonfolk are here?

Hey hey. What have you already looked at? I'm not that knowledgeable about being gainfully employed unfortunately. Hospitality (bars/restaurants) would probably be a good bet this time of year, if it isn't already too late. Are you already here?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone done an online Responsible Service of Alcohol course?
I know Victoria and Tasmania don't accept them, but has anyone had any problems in the states that apparently do?

e: specifically this one

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 28, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Price and availability will depend on your state.

e: \/\/\/ this

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 29, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Another vote for internode.

Excellent customer service and unmetered Steam. Though as mentioned, might not be the cheapest for short term.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Rainbow Warrior posted:

I'm moving from Melbourne to Adelaide in March, any advice would be appreciated as I know absolutely nothing about the city. Why is Eastwood more expensive to rent than the CBD?

Lots of tree's and big old houses, nice area and a good location. It's also close to Burnside shopping centre which is kind of up market (by Adelaide standards).

e: oops, wrong side of Fullarton Road. I have no idea why Eastwood is more expensive. The further south east you go, the nicer it is (and there's some nice cafes on Glen Osmond Road) but it's nothing too special.

Condolences on the down grade in quality of life, man. We'll try to help you cope with the shock :v:

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Woohoo posted:

What's the dresscode for graphic designer? I mean, I'm moving to Sydney next month, there'll be some job interviews and I don't want to appear under- or overdressed.

Depends on what kind of corporation it is I guess. Could you tell us the size of the company or what kind of clients they handle?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Pretty much. If it's a small place then yeah, it'll likely be more relaxed. Some larger graphics design places can be a bit stuffier, but they usually work on things like big retail chain catalogues. If we can speak in cliches, somewhere from 'smart casual' to 'business casual' will do fine.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If you're in the South East of Australia, you will most likely have to deal with the common Huntsman Spider.

They are terrifying but harmless, they just have a horrible habit of sitting on the ceiling above your bed.

But the spider that will really give you nightmares is the Golden Orb Spider, pictured here eating a bird:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cajunspitfire posted:

Aussie possums are mean and not very good to eat, so I am told.

They mostly just get stuck in your ceiling and make sounds like a demon giving birth.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sharks Below posted:

I'm Australian and my American fiance is gonna be working in Australia in a couple of weeks. Is the tax rate seriously 32c in the dollar, what a loving rort!

How is this news to you? Do you not work?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sharks Below posted:

I work but I'm Australian so I don't pay that much tax.. On the same amount of money he'll be getting paid as a non-resident, I'd pay like half the tax. I was just surprised that's all, but I admittedly have worked for the govt for the last like 7 years so I've been pretty sheltered from having to, you know, give a poo poo or look into it myself :shobon:

Wait, sorry I might have misunderstood you. Do you mean that you're working in the US? In Aus, everyone between $37,000 and $80,000 pay 32 cents in the dollar.

e: \/\/\/ my bad I see what you meant now, yeah non residents pay 32 cents on anything up to $80,000. That would really suck at the lower end.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 24, 2014

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

leidend posted:

My :canada: wife and I have the ability (and, finally on her part, desire) to move to Australia permanently. I've already lived in Sydney for four years when I was young and loved it but didn't visit anywhere else besides Canberra. Is Melbourne still the most goon-approved city? We're both left leaning non-religious types with no kids (and no desire to have any) in our mid 30s, not sure if that helps any.

Is there anywhere in Oz where being non-drinkers is OK? This is my biggest fear. :(

That depends, what do you do for fun apart from being criminally unAustralian?

Melbourne is great but Adelaide is a cheaper version with nicer weather. Based on your criteria I'd say avoid Brisbane. What climate/lifestyle are you after? Beaches, rain forest, skiing?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

leidend posted:

It would be difficult to be away from the ocean. We walk on the local ocean seawall every week at least once per week. We love clean air and nice, open people - we find Vancouverites far too reserved and I've convinced my wife it would be easier to make friends there. We'd want a fairly progressive, large city (bigger than our current 2.5 million) with a good economy.

We were both priced out of skiing a long time ago and skiing in Oz after living in western Canada is like surfing in western Canada after living in Oz, kinda pointless.

Besides that we never have fun because we have to work our asses off. Vancouver is one of the few places more expensive than Sydney, and for no good reason besides being the least lovely place in Canada.

Sounds like Melbourne is the place for you then. The state of Victoria is currently run by shitlords, but Melbourn is probably the most progressive you'll get in Aus. Weather is chaotic but there's also great public transport.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

freebooter posted:

Huh? Adelaide has way more in common with Perth than Melbourne.

Probably, but if you're comparing it to either Melbourne or Sydney as I was, I'd go with Melbourne. I doubt many people from overseas know anything about Perth.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Wilcannia has pretty bad poverty issues from memory.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yikes. What a creep

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BuckarooBanzai posted:

Important question for a soon-to-be American expat. Do Australians drink IPAs?

Absolutely. Craft brewers love high alcohol, hoppy IPAs. Would recommend Pirate Life double IPA, 8.8% in a half litre can.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Do not drink VB

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Which months specifically? And yes, unless your work hates you, you'll be flying.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
What if I want to see racists in a big hole in the ground, froglet?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Froglet is a different perth based IT person surrounded by racists, thank you very much.

And I would suggest hiring a bulldozer, dig a big hole, and then put a sign next to it saying "Free Southern Cross Singlet at the bottom."

Hah! Sorry, autocorrect on my phone.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Do you like whiskey? There's a couple of distilleries near where you're heading in Tasmania that are quite good.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Django posted:

Tell me more! Got a few wineries recommended to us, but a whiskey trip would be appreciated.

I only got to see a couple when I was there but this should put you on the right path.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chainclaw posted:

We're traveling to Australia from Seattle soon, is weed legal in Australia yet? Google's not super clear to me, it looks like maybe medical marijuana is legal?

Nope.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kommando posted:

I'm thinking of driving to Melbourne from Canberra via Gippsland.
What's there to see and do there because I'm struggling to find anything except a few national forests, some beaches and a bunch of closed coal mines in the Latrobe Valley.

Seriously I'm looking at TripAdvisor and this town says its #2 attraction is a statue.

You live in Australia, how do you not know that our small towns are devoid of interest and exist only to make you feel grateful for what you actually have while you refuel. Pick a random point on the map and a historical marker statue is gonna crack the top 5 for attractions in a 200km radius.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Just drove from Melbourne to Adelaide today and had no coverage issues with vodafone, so unless you're going really remote you should be fine with anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Good advice all around, except

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just spend a week in Canberra, you won't regret it.
Ignore this man, or you will regret every waking moment.