Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

The first is close enough.

Also while it is of course not a mod sanctioned challenge I'd love to see Reich attempt mainstream commercial food photography :v:

whose to say his work isnt mainstream commercial? :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

whose to say his work isnt mainstream commercial? :snoop:

I will end you.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I'll maybe do the mod challenge later. For now, though:

mother

chickencheese-0001 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

loving

chickencheese-0002 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

chickencheese

chickencheese-0004 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Thread is saved, praise the chickencheese!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Despair posted:

Thread is saved, praise the chickencheese!

It brings peace and joy to whichever thread it touches.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

_5220137.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_5220142.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter.

_5220137.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

_5220142.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Thank you for supporting my local brewery! If you can, try the Chain Breaker. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/63/68942

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

DSCF0829.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

Wasabi Bloody Mary.

DSCF0865.jpg by Ashade76, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dammit, now I need to make myself a Caesar.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Oyakodon

Only registered members can see post attachments!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Can I just say that I never imagined the directions this thread would take when I started it and I'm so glad I did.

Just to contribute, here's a totally quick shot of some blood sausage from a tapa bar in Madrid. Nothing special photographically but drat tasty.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Woah hey things happened while I was out of town. I guess I'll try and do something tomorrow. I don't own any lights or a 5d lens other than my 40/2.8 but I'll try earnestly.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Reichstag posted:

Woah hey things happened while I was out of town. I guess I'll try and do something tomorrow. I don't own any lights or a 5d lens other than my 40/2.8 but I'll try earnestly.

You aren't required to do anything except judge dudebuddy's photos, but you can certainly accept his challenge if the muse is upon you or what the gently caress ever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

Why can't it be both?

In fact... let's have a :siren:Mod Challenge Lite:siren: so we can all move past this and be entertained.

Since you're an aspiring commercial food photographer (which I think is pretty cool, incidentally), this should be easy for you. Your assignment is to take at least five photographs in what you consider to be "Reichstag style" over the course of the next week, and post them here. They will be judged by Reichstag with oversight by me in case he just tells you to eat chain or something. If you do not complete this, you won't be banned or probated forever or anything, but something mildly unpleasant will probably happen. I strongly recommend you complete this challenge because I think you'll find that that style is actually really fun to shoot.

So yeah. One week. Five photos. Mod challenge.

You have until 11:59 PM PST on Saturday June 1st to complete this or poo poo will be getting very real.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Real talk:

Picked up a roll of film before work today and just came home to take a peek. These are the only two discernible photos:

Gonna pull a Kobe in the next few hours.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mdtyson posted:

Gonna pull a Kobe in the next few hours.

Please don't sexually assault hotel staff.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I love this thread and this picture.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
In the clutch I eschewed a years old disposable in favor of the camera in my pocket.

selfie

#lunchleftovers

heirloom vinyl

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
And just for funsies here is an example of a "professional" photo that I recently sold

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mdtyson posted:

In the clutch I eschewed a years old disposable in favor of the camera in my pocket.

selfie

#lunchleftovers

heirloom vinyl

I'll accept these as your official three submissions although Reichstag is also free to examine your previous efforts if he happens to especially like them.

Judging will commence once Reichstag has donned his judging apparel (don't worry, you'll know).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I Have decided to render my verdicts in the form of youtube clips.

selfie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blpe_sGnnP4

#lunchleftovers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

heirloom vinyl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH5yKr_c62A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbIHRGUesZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF6f09CyEeQ

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
That was fun.

Edit:

That is not sarcasm, by the way. Good sportsmanship prevails!

mdtyson fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 2, 2013

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I liked the photos and the youtube reviews. mdtyson did you sell that photo having already taken it or did you take it for a client?

Here is my contribution to the bully-curated aesthetic.

DSC_8396

Dren fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 3, 2013

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

Dren posted:

did you sell that photo having already taken it or did you take it for a client?

It was taken for a client.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dren posted:

I liked the photos and the youtube reviews. mdtyson did you sell that photo having already taken it or did you take it for a client?

Here is my contribution to the bully-curated aesthetic.

DSC_8396

I don't even know what that is but I know I like it.

Mod challenge results will be decided once I'm high enough to properly misinterpret Reichstag's judgement. I wouldn't post while intoxicated of course, but that doesn't mean I can't decide things while intoxicated then post later.

Also a great deal of personal sacrifice went into this contest. I had to unironically ask an admin to upload "pisschrist.jpg" for me. Just picture that for a second. You're in the super serious admin stuff thread and you're like "Oh by the way, could someone do me a solid favour and upload... Piss Christ?"

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I appreciate it. :allears:

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
I myself am a commercial food photographer, and mostly I enjoy this thread. But I sometimes get annoyed with the amount of snapshots people post. Some people hate on people who instragram gorgeous food and adds a filter (and makes active choices and effort on how the make it look good). But in this thread a lot of people just post - what seems to me - rather random pictures of the food they just ate. If you wanna just show what you just ate, go to I bring a camera to the loving TABLE! (What did you cook last night?) in GWC

Don't get me wrong, I am not directly hating what has become the 'Reichstag' style - I would just love that this thread had more pictures where an effort was put into it! I myself would love to critique and help on the commercial stuff.

And I do think you can accomplish a mixture of the crazy art photo and the deliciousness that food photo can offer. And here is, what to me, is a legit proof of that.

http://www.gatherjournal.com/
http://reneriis.com/#/PORTFOLIOS/FOOD%202/1/thumbs

Maybe I just care to much about food photography..

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The food photography thread is like the most controversial thread in Dorkroom and that's pretty weird.
Some of this is pretty great, especially like the food surgery photos. Horrible portfolio navigation, though.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

LAchristus posted:

I myself am a commercial food photographer, and mostly I enjoy this thread. But I sometimes get annoyed with the amount of snapshots people post. Some people hate on people who instragram gorgeous food and adds a filter (and makes active choices and effort on how the make it look good). But in this thread a lot of people just post - what seems to me - rather random pictures of the food they just ate. If you wanna just show what you just ate, go to I bring a camera to the loving TABLE! (What did you cook last night?) in GWC

Don't get me wrong, I am not directly hating what has become the 'Reichstag' style - I would just love that this thread had more pictures where an effort was put into it! I myself would love to critique and help on the commercial stuff.

And I do think you can accomplish a mixture of the crazy art photo and the deliciousness that food photo can offer. And here is, what to me, is a legit proof of that.

If you want serious internet jerks such as us to crit your food pics, post em in pad where its mandatory that crits be handed out without fyad style lulz.

Who are you to say that some of the food pictures are not effort shots? Im honestly curious.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

LAchristus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's impossible! Food photography is an increasingly important part of modern culture. Most, if not all, Americans will take a picture of food at some point in their lives. Many will not go back to it because their pictures are lacking that certain "something". We need to educate the public on how to take good pictures of food so that it's not just the domain of commercial photographers who only want to shoot another perfectly stacked pile of pancakes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LAchristus posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am not directly hating what has become the 'Reichstag' style - I would just love that this thread had more pictures where an effort was put into it!

I don't post in here because I am one of those dumb GWS photo havers, but this is a bad opinion.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

LAchristus posted:

So post more of your own pictures instead of complaining about other people's style. Noone's stopping you from posting ~~~~Proper~~~~ food pictures.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Musket posted:

Who are you to say that some of the food pictures are not effort shots? Im honestly curious.

My jalapeno pic took a lot of effort.

I had to pick it up off of my desk. Walk 30 feet (I have a bad knee). Open the overhead door. Walk outside. Place the jalapeno on the white box in the perfect position next to the hose. Take my iPhone 4s out of my pocket. Take photo. Open the Flickr app and upload the photo. Then, after all that, I had to hit the reply button and past the link to the photo. I'm not even going to go into how I picked it out at the grocery store or how I transported it to my office.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

LAchristus posted:

I myself am a commercial food photographer, and mostly I enjoy this thread. But I sometimes get annoyed with the amount of snapshots people post...

...And I do think you can accomplish a mixture of the crazy art photo and the deliciousness that food photo can offer. And here is, what to me, is a legit proof of that.

What is so great about those pictures? Not trying to be an rear end, but I really don't see it.

I do really love the surgery ones.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LAchristus posted:

Congratulations on missing the point of what Reichstag does, and gently caress you for implying he doesn't put thought into his photos. I guarantee you any of Reichstag's photos took more thought than slapping an Instagram filter onto a random photo of your dinner.

I don't mind conventional food photography, but I'm blase about the millionth picture of a bowl of berries on a cute tablecloth lit by a window. I appreciate it when somebody actually puts effort into doing something different.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 3, 2013

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LAchristus posted:

But in this thread a lot of people just post - what seems to me - rather random pictures of the food they just ate. If you wanna just show what you just ate, go to I bring a camera to the loving TABLE! (What did you cook last night?) in GWC

That's funny, because the only photos I think of as snapshots of what someone ate are generally the ones you seem most amenable to.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I think it's interesting that the Food Photography thread, of all places, became the focal point for this discussion.

I guess it boils down to how the word 'photographer' does not articulate 'fine art' vs 'commercial' on it's own. Other terms like illustrator or graphic designer articulate this distinction, while some other terms like film maker and musician do not.

So here we are, in the "food photography" thread, where "Commercial" food photographers looking to hone the craft are coming to look for inspiration and find feedback. However we also have, for lack of a better word, fine art photographers, looking to conceptually explore food photography, and challenge the aesthetic etc.

oh and there's also just people posting picture of food, which probably belongs in the GWS thread.

I think both have a place, and I think both camps can learn from each other. But I think there's not going to be a hell of a lot of overlap between the two camps.

I hate the term fine art, but maybe there can be a general fine art thread?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
If you're going to separate photos by subject matter why further subdivide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Reichstag posted:

If you're going to separate photos by subject matter why further subdivide?

There's always the common sense option of everyone getting along together.

Actually that would be my first choice, I'm too lazy to edit my post.

• Locked thread