Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
MUDs are tons of fun, but of course there are a number of problems deterring new players. People usually aren't good typists - which is absolutely vital, MUDs usually involve a grind to start with and as mentioned before they're usually poorly organized. I played one MUD a long time ago and for some reason I just can't bring myself to make that same investment again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Materia Magica is the only other MUD I'd played for a long period of time. It's still fairly popular but I could never get into it heavily. It's one of those MUDs where you need to quest heavily to not be totally worthless if/when you reach high levels. Multi-classes were cool but the process of getting there was a bitch when collecting tourmalines. It's got a ton of content to it and something like a 2000x2000 world map. Were it not for the whole "do hundreds/thousands of quests because without the extra practices you are a worthless sack of poo poo" aspect, I'd probably still play it often.

I spent way too many years in this game. Multiclassing and quest grindiness is only tip of the iceberg. Leveling is so grindy at high levels (220-240), pretty much everyone bots through them. Same with archon (the "hero" status at level 241, with another 241 sublevels to grind through), except last I played, there was little point to archon levels other than a couple pieces of gear with level requirements. It's pretty much agreed that 241:241 is impossible to attain.

The coolest part of the game is that there are hundreds of tiny sub-zones tucked away and hidden in the normal game world. Normal cities would have monsters sleeping beneath them or something -- so every city actually had hidden exits and/or puzzles to activate high-level run mobs. Often (but not always) these would have clues in the room and item descriptions.

This sounds very cool in theory, and it is if you had the time to explore. In practice, it basically meant if you weren't in the "in" crowd -- if you didn't know Imms (or know people who knew Imms) -- you basically miss 90% of the game. Runs and run bosses are closely guarded secrets, so players only reveal them to their most trusted of friends.

PvP, I guess there was some bit of skill involved, though I'd never gotten into it so I can't speak much about it. The group PvE combat system was rather shallow when I played -- tank goes in, types 'k <boss>', everyone else goes in, casts their one debuff, then spam heal/cure light on tank fifty times. A lot of challenging-but-soloable content (including the area that level 240s must complete to gain archon (241) status) pretty much devolve into 'north;k <mob>;bash;flee' ad nauseum.

"Challenging" bosses tended to involve brute-forced, bullshit mechanics such as paralyzing mobs or no-regen rooms, rather than things that require any cleverness or strategy. This might just be an artifact of the shallow combat system in group play. I suppose you could say that the (intellectual) difficulty lies more in learning the area and figuring out how to get to the boss, than in the boss fight itself.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Agraya posted:

I'm surprised Dragonrealms hasn't had more mentions. I've been playing it on and off for a while now and it is much more engaging than any MMO I've ever played. Does anyone here still play it?

Dragonrealms is a pretty fantastic MUD that I played for several, several years. It was the first "massive" game I played and kept me hooked for a long time. Every now and then I would unsub for a year or two and then start playing again. I finally kicked the habit for good by giving away my dude to a friend.

Like Gemstone, the world is vast in scale and these days the population just doesn't justly support it. If there were ever a MUD renaissance and people started flooding them again, I'd be sorely tempted to re-sub. As it is however, they've just become an exercise in futility for me. Also, the subscription price on those game is patently ridiculous.

Seventh Son
Feb 12, 2010

FrozenGoldfishGod posted:

Played there for years, and much as it pains me to say it, stay away.

I’ve got to second this guys opinion of IRE games.

I put close to four years on and off into Lusternia, and what I experienced was pretty eye opening. The customer service is awful, they have a habit of turning a blind eye when their volunteer admin cost their customers money, and if you complain on their forums they’ll silence you with a ban.

There was this volunteer admin, named Eventru. Volunteer admins are former players who decide it would be more fun to write and run ingame events and have supposedly earned the trust of the guy who runs Lusternia, French. French usually goes by the name Estarra.

These volunteer admin are expected leave their player biases at the door and be impartial. They are not allowed to use their access to leak information to their player friends or use admin authority to satisfy grudges against customers. Lusternia is a for profit business, after all.

In return, the volunteer gets to play the role of a god. This means they get to recruit a bunch of followers in a city and roleplay. This does not mean, however that they are permitted to run player’s lives. All IRE games advertise heavily that their MUDs have player run cities and guilds, and the IRE website even states that “they have player-run city-states that can do everything (depending on the game) from develop subdivisions for player housing to go to war with each other to set property tax rates on player shops within the city's territory.”

Gods have quite a few tools to help them encourage role-playing. They get to listen in to all city and guild channels they are apart of, private clans bought by players if they wish, and they can monitor direct player to player communication. They can use the INVIS and GO commands to follow and watch players without being seen. In extreme situations, they can zap kill a player if that player is out of line and disrupting the game as a whole. A god zap kill counts as the most severe form of player death, costing the individual a decent amount of experience. Depending on the character’s level, the experience loss may take anywhere from half an hour to several hours of gameplay to recover.

So what has Eventru done? Well first of all he has a tendency to target players he dislikes and zap kill them. Normally this would be part of the roleplaying experience, but Eventru has been documented going after the same player multiple times or knocking them down to one hit point so his followers can finish them off, leaving his hands clean.

More seriously when the organization Eventru oversees, Celest, was on the losing side of a war; he made character and went around the opposing city, killing any players he could. Since he was an admin, he made this character immortal, preventing any player retaliation. French later apologized on the forums for Eventru’s actions, but the experience loss wasn’t refunded.

What’s really irritating is that Eventru is also a mod on the Lusternia forums, and if you disagree with him there he’ll try to get revenge. He’s sent personal messages to players stating “attempting to malign me on the forums is going to simply make a few of you very unhappy." He also used the INVIS command to stalk a player in game right after they had a heated argument on the forums, but he hosed up the process, the player caught him and reported it.

Now with all these complaints about a volunteer guy breaking their own rules and irritating paying customers, did French reprimand him? No! In fact French said the following: “I’d also like to give a special shout-out to Eventru, whose passion sometimes gets him in trouble, but whose amazing work cannot be ignored… Indeed, we’ve even invited Eventru to learn coding so he won’t get bored!”

Yes, that’s right. Eventru got a promotion. Welcome to IRE games.

So what did Eventru do after this vote of confidence? He zap killed the player elected leader of Celest, stepped in and stopped other player elected leaders from taking actions he didn’t like, and campaigned against them on city channels in the following elections. This was a huge transgression for an admin. Remember, IRE games advertise heavily that their MUDs are player run organizations. Gods are not to interfere.

At the end of it, the players who were Eventru’s followers were mysteriously elected to the controlling city positions and the players he targeted were kicked out of the city.

This is where it’s a scam. Most players buy credits from IRE to convert into lessons so they can learn all of their guild skills. Most guild skills require power from a city to work. So if you are kicked out of a city you will run out of power to use the skills that you paid for.

In addition if you try to join another guild, you will lose a fraction of the lessons you invested in those skills, up to 30%. That’s right. Eventru’s interference leads to his followers banishing players he targeted and with the bonus of a possible financial hit too.

Now you might say that Eventru’s followers were at fault for kicking out these people, not the douchebag himself. While that is true, there is some evidence that Eventru was communicating with his followers out of game. That would of course be a violation of his non-disclosure agreement all volunteer admin sign with Lusternia, but you know, whatever.

Based on all of Eventru’s actions there have been at least eight players in the span of less than a year who have bothered to write complaints to French, the producer of Lusternia.

French ignored most of these complaints, so some were forwarded to the President of IRE games. In one case the response from the President was ‘we’ll look into it’. That was in December. Reports about Eventru’s behavior after this date, including as recently as this month, have been met with a telling silence.

Now this Eventru is just one guy though. However, this type of thing has happened in the past more than once. Just one example was the volunteer admin Hajamin (also a god of Celest, go figure) who went so far as to change the source code of Lusternia to give unfair advantages to his followers. He was eventually kicked out of Lusternia. What does he do now?

Oh he’s the head producer of the latest IRE game, Tears of Polaris. Funny enough Eventru has been drooling all over himself to become an admin over there too.

I’ll admit, sometimes the IRE games can be fun. And the drama really doesn’t get better than this. But think twice before you invest money in credits or lessons. And don’t bother complaining about admins or game changes on the forums. French has real thin skin and enjoys wielding the banhammer like the scepter of his little domain.

The Interloper
Jan 11, 2010

- dig that bunky feat -
Salad Prong

Seventh Son posted:

cheating admins are corrupt :argh:

I missed the part where this is different from everywhere else on the internet.

Although, MUDs in general do seem to be particularly bad for this, possibly because they're mostly independent-run things with little monetary income, but the fact is, people with power getting inflated opinions of themselves and doing unfair, abusive poo poo because they can and they're so much more important than those peons is about as old as humanity itself.
Try complaining to a higher-up? They'll just close ranks and nothing will happen. Then the guy you complained about permabans you for something completely insignificant and unrelated a few days later. The unspoken reason being, "You tattled on me!" Because they really do act like power-mad 10-year-olds when they've tasted that sweet, sweet ambrosia of GODHOOD.
Anyway, as you might be able to tell, abuse of authority happens to be one of my personal rage inducers so I'll leave it at that.

What I will add, however, is that I personally won't tolerate being around this sort of bullshit. The only thing you can actually do about it is walk away, after all, because it's not going to be changing any time soon, and I'm not going to massage these retards' egos by giving them a reason to flex their ill-bestowed muscle in my direction.

There are several MUDs I've thought about playing, and never bothered with because of bad impressions of their admins; Medievia, for example, and there was another game somewhere whose name I forgot that had some whiny arrogant crap about "stupid n00bs sending me tells and messing up ma reply bufferz!1" - right there in the game info on its own website. Note that this dickhead's whining was not because of newbies actually sending him tells, it was because it would mess up his "reply buffers", whatever those are, if they did. As if veteran players sending him tells would somehow not do that. 'Wide berth' doesn't even begin to cover it.
Even the one MUD I've played properly (Materia Magica) has had some of this stuff going on, though thankfully not from the head admin, who actually seems quite level-headed.

e: Relevant: http://lorry.org/arch-wizard/confessions.html

The Interloper fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 28, 2010

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Seventh Son posted:

:barf:

This? This is why I wince whenever someone mentions a play-to-play MUD. For every Dragonrealms you've got a Simutronics gangbang. Free MUDs, MUSHes and the like often have poo poo admins and nepotism problems as it is.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Honestly I think that everyone in this thread should agree on a mud and then we go in and do what goons do, that is become way over-powered and sometime break the game. Anyone know of any muds that work really well with a group of people that want to work together?

Edit: Maybe batmud due to its shiny client, so that goons who normally wouldn't like muds get distracted by the anti-aliasing?

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

sulley posted:

Dragonrealms is a pretty fantastic MUD that I played for several, several years. It was the first "massive" game I played and kept me hooked for a long time. Every now and then I would unsub for a year or two and then start playing again. I finally kicked the habit for good by giving away my dude to a friend.

Like Gemstone, the world is vast in scale and these days the population just doesn't justly support it. If there were ever a MUD renaissance and people started flooding them again, I'd be sorely tempted to re-sub. As it is however, they've just become an exercise in futility for me. Also, the subscription price on those game is patently ridiculous.

I have tried to get into DR 3 times now and every time it's the same. At first, the mechanics of fighting and feeling of progression are great. Then the initial flurry of skillups start drying up and you are left in the horrible position of needing to macro everything (attended or not) to even feel any real progression. The much-vaunted experience pool system is rear end-backwards in terms of the way I like to play games. You'd go to the dock, dive into the river and set off the swimming macro. Come back in 10 minutes or so and you might be maxed out and then go to the next spot to set off the next macro. After an hour or two of not playing (you'd be literally insane to do this by 'hand') you can then feel free to go and socialize in the gathering places. Trouble is, by this time, most of the initial skill gains have dribbled out and you feel like you've accomplished gently caress all.

The game feels like a sequence in a cartoon where you're running uphill whilst a villain is emptying bags of marbles from above.

It's frustrating because I've had some of the best experiences in ANY games in that MUD but they are so few and far between due to the low player-base that it's an test of endurance to find them.

I love the huge world but reading these unofficial forums let's you "experience" the higher levels because quite a few of them play on the "pay $5 more to be allowed to macro unattended 24/7" server and they confirm that the game is nothing more than move from this critter to this critter per x levels of skill. You can measure this progression in weeks or months.

The agony is, everything I've said above would mean very little if grinding wasn't the only thing to do 85% of the time. The game was clearly designed to be a social extravaganza but it's dying on its rear end. The pricing is just phenomenally stupid, too.

fakish edit: maybe "phenomenally stupid" isn't quite right. They have survived this long. The reason is the small, tight knit community of real sad bastards who pay through the nose. In game, I met several people who were rl couples who BOTH held a $50 account (per month) and would also pay approximately $50 EACH to enter the various festivals that they hold every few months. Their business model is to hang on to those few obsessive people at the cost of a wider user-base which is, I feel, to the detriment of the game as it was envisioned.

If they charged a dollar a month, I doubt I would have ever unsubscribed and I would hope a lot more people would play too. I know it's never going to attract a truly massive audience but, meh, this post is too long already.

Rapacity fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 29, 2010

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

Honestly I think that everyone in this thread should agree on a mud and then we go in and do what goons do, that is become way over-powered and sometime break the game. Anyone know of any muds that work really well with a group of people that want to work together?

Edit: Maybe batmud due to its shiny client, so that goons who normally wouldn't like muds get distracted by the anti-aliasing?

If there was a suitable target then I'm sure we could have endless fun at other's expense, maybe throw in some goon chat for entertainment. Just have to find one that's good, clean and fun, although that may be harder than it seems judging by most replies here. I have to say my old favourite didn't fare much better in terms of corruption.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
We could pick a random one and hit it.

http://www.mudconnect.com/mud_category.html <- Could pick some goofy category and check MUDs out, see how they feel, etc.

Delicious Yams
Feb 10, 2010

by T. Finn

Runaktla posted:

Played Armageddon and Carrionfields religiously for many years and wasted many a could-have-been-productive-with-my-life moments over them. Carrionfields used to have 100 so players at its peak, now I guess its about 40 (I still read the forums even though I don't play). Armageddon's steadily risen and is about 80 at peak I think (from forums).

https://www.zalanthas.org (armageddon)

https://www.carrionfields.org (carrionfields, duh).

I've played Arm for a while too. Some of the people are scary. Some of them are great to get drunk in Portland with.

That's the only MUD I've actually stuck with. I tried HellMOO for a while... raping orphans to regain health was novel, but eh.

If you want to roleplay as a sadistic desert bandit spicelord assassin, Armageddon is pretty great. It's srs RP with permadeath. It's kind of like Dune, Deadwood, and Rome shaken up in a post-apocalyptic blender.

Dwarves are bald retards and elves are xenophobic thieves. Everyone is racist. Good stuff.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Rapacity posted:

If they charged a dollar a month, I doubt I would have ever unsubscribed and I would hope a lot more people would play too. I know it's never going to attract a truly massive audience but, meh, this post is too long already.

Agreed. Hell, even like $5/mo. and I doubt I ever would have decided to leave for good. I don't see that happening though, as Simu has clearly hitched their bandwagon to the loyal few.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ambushsabre posted:

On of my favorite MUDs was "Realms of the Dragon" because you could actually steal from other players. They have like 30 different classes that each rely on each other in neat ways. Plus, you only have so many deaths in that game before your character is gone for good. Initially, if you die 7 times your character is gone but that can be extended to 21 by buying lives from a priest. So at most, someone's character is gone for good after 21 deaths.

laceratedsky
Aug 29, 2007

You are Jennifer posted:

If there was a suitable target then I'm sure we could have endless fun at other's expense, maybe throw in some goon chat for entertainment. Just have to find one that's good, clean and fun, although that may be harder than it seems judging by most replies here. I have to say my old favourite didn't fare much better in terms of corruption.

I vote Medievia if for no other reason than CPK areas full of Goon Death Squads murdering people and taking ALL of their stuff is oh so appealing.

It's also a really bad rear end MUD IMO.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ambushsabre posted:

Arctic MUD has full loot PVP and people lose XP when you kill them. They lose even more if they DT or die to mobs. There's also a few ultra poopsockers on there, who treat the game as the most serious of business. For further information see the epeen battles on the logs here:
http://arctic.elay.org/

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008
It would certainly help our cause if whatever target either had a level cap, diminishing returns or in some way allowed the younger players to compete with the older, even if only in numbers.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

You are Jennifer posted:

It would certainly help our cause if whatever target either had a level cap, diminishing returns or in some way allowed the younger players to compete with the older, even if only in numbers.

Are there any pk MUDs that we could target that reset evetyones level after every round or something ? That would certainly make this a lit easier.

You are Jennifer
Dec 25, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

Are there any pk MUDs that we could target that reset evetyones level after every round or something ? That would certainly make this a lit easier.

There are a handful of pure pk MUDs like that, although I'm having a hard time finding one as they all appear to be down.

Sarren
Apr 13, 2004
i'm down for medievia, i have an almost hero dude i could help people out with.

it's been a looooooong time since i've played though. i've played basically every major pk mud out there and it's a shame the really good ones (like duris) are pretty much dead.

Sled
May 20, 2004

Musashi not only wields a sword but also a pair of pistols.

El Sprongo posted:

Wasted way too much time on a MUD called Shattered Kingdoms. Worked my way up to the top of a prankster guild (second in command), was engineering a grand comeback for the organization, went on a huge recruiting drive and was starting to organize pranks. That's when all members were booted from the guild by one of the people running the whole MUD because we "weren't doing anything." He handed the organization to one of his IRL buddies and said we could reapply for membership.

I reread that and realize it sounds bitter. I'm leaving it like that.

If that was back when it was ran by those two HERO's, a priest and that one sprite dude, haha. I was one of the first people who joined the Harlequins after that member list wipe. Needless to say, I was pretty loving terrible player and a teenage kid at the time, but I didn't know anyone in real life there. We actually only had 3 or so people for a decent amount of time, too, but I don't remember exactly how long.

There is (was? I dunno) a huge circlejerk going on in that MUD, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were referring to an earlier/later wipe of guild members.

Shattered Kingdoms was pretty fun for the last part of my childhood, though. I had a lot of fun acting like a random idiot while staying in character for my first characters, then acting like a serious prick on a later character who murdered everyone who was evil.

Sled fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 30, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
want a hard, original and creative mud? Check out this LPmud:

http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/

levels are limited to 19 and then hero levels (which are incrementally harder to get). Essentially skill based system here. I think the highest heroes are like...+10 or so.

there's pvp - you can opt out but that merely allows you to be attacked anyway, very creative and well fleshed out zones, and unique classes with unique skills - it's not just damage, and the skills aren't really repeated with other classes. Thieves can steal poo poo right off of people, and chaosmages have a random ability that typically kills everyone in a room.

I used to play the poo poo out of this as a kid. The pvp is very goon friendly. There are wars every few hours which basically means everyone can pvp the poo poo out of eachother without penalty for xp during the war. Level limits again.

Subclass list -> http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/help.php/subclasses
(you pick a class - basically defines your choice of subclass).

This is a very PK-pvp grief-able mud. However, you can be who off, and then the only way to find you is if they know the character name (and there are ways to hide that). I loved it, but it was hard as hell. This was near crawl difficulty levels for many things.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 31, 2010

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
How does Medievia compare to other MUDs, purely from a solo player's point of view? The website is a bit off-putting, I have to admit(Really dudes? 12 click-able pages with at most two sentences per page spouting how you're the greatest ever and forever? :rolleyes:), but tinkering around in the obligatory newbie montage makes it seem pretty well-polished and coherent. Add to that the fact that it's got pretty colors and a handy map, and I have to admit I'm being drawn away from Discworld MUD and into this one. Any veterans care to weigh in with suggestions about this or other solo-able MUDs? Reading through this thread I'm seeing a lot of them that look great on the surface, but second-hand experience from someone better-educated than I works just as good as first-hand exposure. :)

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

Brimruk posted:

How does Medievia compare to other MUDs, purely from a solo player's point of view? The website is a bit off-putting, I have to admit(Really dudes? 12 click-able pages with at most two sentences per page spouting how you're the greatest ever and forever? :rolleyes:), but tinkering around in the obligatory newbie montage makes it seem pretty well-polished and coherent. Add to that the fact that it's got pretty colors and a handy map, and I have to admit I'm being drawn away from Discworld MUD and into this one. Any veterans care to weigh in with suggestions about this or other solo-able MUDs? Reading through this thread I'm seeing a lot of them that look great on the surface, but second-hand experience from someone better-educated than I works just as good as first-hand exposure. :)

The game is very solo-able, especially so if you are either a cleric or warrior, the other two would be a tricky choice for your first class. Given the way that their hero system works, finding someone to group up and do some zone clean-up is fairly easy since there are plenty of people on their 2nd or 3rd class or whatever.

Medievia is, by far, one of the easiest MUDs to get into. The whole donate fiasco aside, what they have managed to accomplish is also quite nice. The donation room will be your best friend starting out as you can easily gear yourself out with very decent gear just by making sure to drop by once in a while.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

The game is very solo-able, especially so if you are either a cleric or warrior, the other two would be a tricky choice for your first class. Given the way that their hero system works, finding someone to group up and do some zone clean-up is fairly easy since there are plenty of people on their 2nd or 3rd class or whatever.

Medievia is, by far, one of the easiest MUDs to get into. The whole donate fiasco aside, what they have managed to accomplish is also quite nice. The donation room will be your best friend starting out as you can easily gear yourself out with very decent gear just by making sure to drop by once in a while.

Is it a diku mud?

Whenever I read cleric or warrior I think that, right away.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Is it a diku mud?

Whenever I read cleric or warrior I think that, right away.

Ahahaha, funny thing here. I've been reading up about Medievia on the net, and there's a lot of controversy surrounding it. As I basically understand it, and smarter people than me yell if I'm wrong, but Medievia started on the code base of a Dikimud-derivative or something called Merc. The Medievia creator then basically took that code, deleted a few comments, re-named a few variables, and is passing the code off as his own. There's a lot of information on this subject floating around on the net, so read it if you have a chance, because it's an interesting read. But the basic gist I've gotten is that the Diki creators just want the Medievia creator to give credit where credit is due, while he's brushing them off and saying Medievia is 100% his.

Edit: Here's two links expounding on the whole controversy thing. Personally, I'm going to stick around and see if Medievia holds my interest, but I know more experienced MUDers have quit Medievia when they found out about the code copying, so YMMV.

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/medievia/the-controversy.html

http://www.tangentialcold.com/Medievia.html

Brimruk fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 31, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
oh, I should add: Diku muds are poo poo. Absolutely the most newbie friendly but repetitive mudding experience that exists. PS: I read up and it seems medievia is apparently possibly violating the license for Diku. I guess the Diku creators don't care enough to do something about it really.

every game has the same classes or multiclasses, same leveling rules and stats, and same set of abilities. It's like a version 1.0 text game. All the abilities are basically the same: do damage, heal yourself (or others), drain health, or buff. That sums up like 97% of the diku muds out there. Oh, and Diku goes from a kick that kicks once, to a kick that kicks 4 times! wow! :aaaaa:

You want to see a good mud? try anything that is LP or Lima. Avoid diku like the plague. Diku is the hello kitty adventures of rpg's, basically. I can shoot off an easy 10 muds off the top of my head that are a thousand times better than anything diku.

UOSSM (unofficial squaresoft mud), retromud, tsunami, these are all unique/creative/fun/active/balanced.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 31, 2010

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

UOSSM (unofficial squaresoft mud)

That's the FFT MUD I've been playing. It's pretty drat good, actually, but I dunno if there's any PvP or whatever. I've just been using it to pass time.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

John Dyne posted:

That's the FFT MUD I've been playing. It's pretty drat good, actually, but I dunno if there's any PvP or whatever. I've just been using it to pass time.

my humorously small claim to fame is that I actually created the secret of mana forest with the rabites and the shops and stuff on UOSSM, back when this mud wasn't even released to the public. I'm not exactly a hardcore programmer. Since then, someone has changed the rabites and their frequency. I also wasn't the smartest cookie about cut and paste because a lot of that poo poo I typed up by hand. I had just made a couple rooms of the water palace too, and created the fish (that's why for a long time those fish were generic and had no abilities to speak of - I just made them strong rear end fish)

My friend coded parts of 600AD chrono trigger and came up with the way to use the time travel pylons...some significant coding involved there.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 31, 2010

WonkyEye
Sep 10, 2009

I played on New Moon mud for a year or so. Had alot of fun with it. It didn't have a big population but all the regulars were pretty good people. The quests were decent and the room descriptions were well done compared to some of the others I tried. It turned into a ghost town after WoW came along - not sure if it's still running.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

stuff about UOSSMUD

I like the game, but grinding the job levels is mind numbing solo. It'd be more fun if people were chattier or there were people to actually group with, so we could take down stuff that gives more XP/AP. As it is, I'm sucking up 3 - 4 AP a kill at 70+ XP a kill, just wanting to get motherfucking mediator for my secondary skill.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

John Dyne posted:

It was a fun game aside from the imms being so far up their own asses about people not sharing secrets that things would just get changed if something was 'leaked', like how to do the quest to get Holy Knight, or find the way into Deep Dungeon. I could sorta understand the quell shop secrecy, since they kept moving it around, but sometimes that game was just way to Serious Business.

The grind is about what you'd expect from most games (Martial Artist firedancing for hours in Doma), defending against monster invasions was a lot of fun* and the mechanics behind it are something I wouldn't mind seeing more MUDs do.

*unless you're below the average level for online militia members, then you get to play redshit (or benchwarmer) because everything's 20+ levels above you so you hit for nothing.

e: If some people are playing there it could be fun to get a group together and try it again to see what's changed in the last several years.

DeepSpaceBeans
Nov 2, 2005

Let's build us a happy, little cloud that floats around the sky.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

oh, I should add: Diku muds are poo poo. Absolutely the most newbie friendly but repetitive mudding experience that exists. PS: I read up and it seems medievia is apparently possibly violating the license for Diku. I guess the Diku creators don't care enough to do something about it really.

It is not that they did not really care. Well, I'm sure a few of them probably didn't. The Diku creators are such a loose amalgamation of interested parties that there is no real central driving force behind it. Thus all of the derivations (Merc/SMAUG/CIRCLE). Think of it as being a sort of open-source community. Several members have sort of dropped out of the community as a result of the whole hubbub.

And MUME is Diku, don't go knockin' on MUME. :colbert:

If he will only ever really get into one diku-ish mud, it might as well be Medievia.

DeepSpaceBeans fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 1, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

It was a fun game aside from the imms being so far up their own asses about people not sharing secrets that things would just get changed if something was 'leaked', like how to do the quest to get Holy Knight, or find the way into Deep Dungeon. I could sorta understand the quell shop secrecy, since they kept moving it around, but sometimes that game was just way to Serious Business.

The grind is about what you'd expect from most games (Martial Artist firedancing for hours in Doma), defending against monster invasions was a lot of fun* and the mechanics behind it are something I wouldn't mind seeing more MUDs do.

*unless you're below the average level for online militia members, then you get to play redshit (or benchwarmer) because everything's 20+ levels above you so you hit for nothing.

e: If some people are playing there it could be fun to get a group together and try it again to see what's changed in the last several years.

This was why I left. They thought that the secretive poo poo was a good idea. I was like gently caress that. It's not hard to talk to someone on a messenger, find out the answer, and do it in game. who told you? Nobody. It was too fight club style.

That and "let's make it more grindy".

ps: no diku > some diku.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

John Dyne posted:

I like the game, but grinding the job levels is mind numbing solo. It'd be more fun if people were chattier or there were people to actually group with, so we could take down stuff that gives more XP/AP. As it is, I'm sucking up 3 - 4 AP a kill at 70+ XP a kill, just wanting to get motherfucking mediator for my secondary skill.

Mediator is awesome for a buff secondary. Bard is better though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
You're probably right. At least I have to raise mediator to get bard. And Praise seems like it'll do the trick for awhile on my monk.

I literally have no clue what I'm doing in the drat game and every question is met with 'GO TO THE NEWBIE GUIDE,' which IS surprisingly useful at times but still, goddamn.

I'd love to know spoilers for half this poo poo, like where to find my monk moves.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Victorkm posted:

Mediator is awesome for a buff secondary. Bard is better though.

Martial Artist + Monk.

Setup a macro to swap job to whitemage and cast buffs, hit 2nd macro to swap back to MA/Monk, and just murder the hell out of everything. Getting the belts isn't too hard either. At level 30 you should be able to kill 1-2, maybe 3 of the guys for the belts. You just have to fight them in order, which can suck because the first guy is/was the hardest for me to find.

If you're a lower level still, it used to be very good/quick grinding to setup as much damage as you could early on, and head to the FF6 zones. Go to the auction house and just kill rooms of mobs in there and in town. I think spin fist was my aoe spam of choice. Just keep buffs up with white/time magic as needed. Samurai skills might have also been a secondary.

This requires them having never 'fixed' this combo, since MA had the same unarmed damage as monks, but their claw stats boosted (some) monk skills, making the combo insanely powerful.

Also, a knight with tons of HP and minusstrike (before they nerfed it) was good and the only way for low level players to be useful in militia raids since it was basically a Valiant Knife skill.

I'd play UOSSMUD again if the admins weren't borderline retarded, especially in regards to secrets since they're too dumb to realize the only people that get busted for it are dumb/obvious (Huor comes to mind, as he was a dragoner at level 8 or something), or victims of them doing a witch hunt.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2010

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
UOSSMUD sounds interesting. Might have to give it a spin tonight.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm on it as Folkar and Kalavankar, wizard and monk respectively. I don't know the level limits but I can put fist sized holes in stuff pretty well now that I've gotten Protect, Chakra, and Repeating Fist.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I'm on it as Folkar and Kalavankar, wizard and monk respectively. I don't know the level limits but I can put fist sized holes in stuff pretty well now that I've gotten Protect, Chakra, and Repeating Fist.

Cool cool. I'll look you up. Anyone else interested in trying (or going back to) UOSSMUD with me tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
I've been toying with it on and off for the last couple of days while at work. I'm at about level... uh... 4? right now, grinding up wizard skills on Edilaic. I'm tempted to go melee instead, though, it might be more conducive to semi-attentive mudding.

• Locked thread