Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I made a trigger that turned the room description bright pink if it contained the words cat kitten or kitty.... worked like a charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks, I can finally... never do that kitten quest again.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Edilaic posted:

Thanks, I can finally... never do that kitten quest again.

The helpfiles say Kitty resets with ever reinc. :shobon:

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Has anyone starting getting disconnected regularly again? I was good for like a week, but it just started doing it again last night.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Goodchild posted:

Has anyone starting getting disconnected regularly again? I was good for like a week, but it just started doing it again last night.

Yep, guess we should ask Juggs what's up.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Not as much help as the step by step instructions here, but I found this list of areas with secret rooms on the MUD's forums. Go to the last page to see the most current compiled list.

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

I joined up on BatMUD as Xaitil, and am going to try a reaver. I was wondering how one goes about becoming a Demon or Vampire. I see that you have to be reborn a certain amount of times, and was wondering how one goes about doing that.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Xaitil posted:

I joined up on BatMUD as Xaitil, and am going to try a reaver. I was wondering how one goes about becoming a Demon or Vampire. I see that you have to be reborn a certain amount of times, and was wondering how one goes about doing that.

You have to reach a high level of xp, and then you can give it all up and start as a newbie again, with a few minor perks, like rebirth races. They do, however, keep their money/player cities/ships/airships/eq.It was a feature added for bored highbies that had played so long they were on an entirely different level as most other players. The rebirth races, for the most part, aren't much better than other races, they just have a couple of interesting quirks, so don't worry too much about it.
Just so you don't get confused, 'Reincarnation' is something completely unrelated to rebirth, where you keep all your XP, gold, items, and quests complete, etc, but get to start as a new race/background and choose new guilds or level up in a different way. For newbies, they can use the 'recreate' command to do it, where it's free until your played time is 4 days old or you go over level 40, after which you'll need to reincarnate normally. For everyone else, there's a small percentage tax on your total XP every time you reincarnate, that becomes smaller the longer you wait between reincarnations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Xaitil posted:

I was wondering how one goes about becoming a Demon or Vampire. I see that you have to be reborn a certain amount of times, and was wondering how one goes about doing that.

Play forever. There's a rebirth mechanic of some sort once you max out at level 100.

I just started a second character to try out reaver and I think the funniest thing was when I misfired my 'word of spite' spell, hit myself, and got the message that my racetype had been added to my spite list. Spite apparently increments a counter every time you hit a given race with it, making some of your spells do more damage against that race. I suspect high-level reavers' eventually become quite deadly to themselves with spell misfires; I wonder if they get credit for destroying themselves?

e:f,b :argh:

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Signed up a few days ago as Cerevisiae. I keep getting lost whenever I go out of the newbie city. :saddowns:

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010

stab stabby posted:

Signed up a few days ago as Cerevisiae. I keep getting lost whenever I go out of the newbie city. :saddowns:

If you're using the Batclient (I like it a lot) hit Alt+R and you'll get an awesome map of the overworld.

edit: Still plenty of other places to get lost, but it helps a lot!

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Signed up for Batmud, currently level 22, looking for an invite. Name is Telesto. Thanks!

Sarren
Apr 13, 2004
all of yall new dudes should have invites soon. you join by going to the hall of heroes and typing join goon+. also, it costs 1k gold. i'll let you know if i see you on ingame once you have been invited.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sarren posted:

all of yall new dudes should have invites soon. you join by going to the hall of heroes and typing join goon+. also, it costs 1k gold. i'll let you know if i see you on ingame once you have been invited.

Also have to have finished your intro and race guilds (in other words, be at least level 15).

Puosu
Jun 7, 2011
Registered as Bjrk on batmud. The drat gnome at hall of heroes refused me entry to the goon+ thing. Anyone willing to throw an invitation my way? I'd be delighted.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Oh awesome, that went fantastically.

So anyway, I may as well try my hand out in batMUD with the rest of the swarm. Joining up as Preir.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 3, 2012

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Jenner posted:

I hope my advice was helpful to you. I'm just off a month probation for trolling a thread about a troll, so I wanted to post a quick update on my space colony MOO, Wayfar:

A few shots of the robot control system, which I made in the vein of Real Steel. It's usability is significantly improved by MXP, which allows you to use mouse clicks to send commands to the MOO, as opposed to typing things like "execute metal punch on control". The next step is a mushclient plugin around the MOO to make it completely mouse friendly and finishing up the space system (moon dungeons are in, other space objectives, space stations, and space combat are still in progress).

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I've been seriously enjoying Hell: After the End. The combat and all the skills are just so incredibly well implemented. It got me to thinking back to the good old days of MUD'ing and then MUSH'ing.

While I have no desire to MUSH ever again (ran one for awhile.. got my fill), I'm wondering if there are any other post apocalyptic or modern MUDs out there that are like HATE? Or sci-fi..

Also, are there any MUDs anymore that have a good, strong player base? Even 8 years ago when I was MUSHing we were thinking it was a dying game type, but from what I can tell it seems to be as niche as ever.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

SquadronROE posted:

I've been seriously enjoying Hell: After the End. The combat and all the skills are just so incredibly well implemented. It got me to thinking back to the good old days of MUD'ing and then MUSH'ing.

While I have no desire to MUSH ever again (ran one for awhile.. got my fill), I'm wondering if there are any other post apocalyptic or modern MUDs out there that are like HATE? Or sci-fi..

Also, are there any MUDs anymore that have a good, strong player base? Even 8 years ago when I was MUSHing we were thinking it was a dying game type, but from what I can tell it seems to be as niche as ever.

Batmud has 96 unidle players this very moment.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Victorkm posted:

Batmud has 96 unidle players this very moment.

That is quite a lot. I've trudged back in the thread a few pages but can't find a good link to BatMUD. Is there any decent site for it so I can read about it at work, or should I just Google BatMUD?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

I should just Google BatMUD.

Fixed that one for you. It's got an extensive website.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Signed into BatMUD as Boinky, anybody on to throw me a invite?

Breadbox
Nov 8, 2007

I support party wipes.
Dryad's website with all the area maps was already linked, as was the BatMUD forum thread listing some secret room locations. I don't think anyone listed this one but I didn't read very many pages back.

http://tnsp.org/maps/

Maps of all the continents and major cities. Never be lost again. Keep them open on your second monitor. The BatMUD client has a built in realm map anyway but I prefer this method. I'm sort of figuring this poo poo out, don't even know if I've played an LP codebase before. Read so many help files.

And I joined the IRC channel maybe 10 minutes ago.

(BTW, if you are over level 15, have trained your 5 racial levels, and don't know where to find the guild you want to train in check the help file for it. It tells you there. Or you can just ctrl-f on a continent map. Whatever. Type 'travel' at the Ferry ticketmaster. Look at signs and plaques. Stumbling along.)

*Edit: http://batshoppe.servegame.org/eqinfo2.php This is neat, too.

Breadbox fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 6, 2012

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The first MUD I ever played was called The Turning Point. It was the first multiplayer game I ever played that wasn't a split screen Goldeneye 64 type thing and it blew my mind.

There were other people running around the world, hanging out in the capital city square, roleplaying was mandatory and the first person I ever ran into outside of the newbie starting zone was a high elf that was really rude to me (I think I was a drow) that it hurt my fragile high school psyche.

I played that game obsessively as either a cleric or an avernon, like an anti-paladin. To level either of those classes past 10 you had to /pray to a chosen God and roleplay with them so that you could get accepted. It was the coolest thing to me at the time.

The best thing ever though was the damage system had a tiered description based on how much you did so it would show, BobbyK ::OBLITERATES:: the pixie. But if you did maximum damage it would say, BobbyK does UNSPEAKABLE things to the pixie. I don't know why but I always got a kick out of that.

I don't think any game has ever captured my imagination or given me such a sense of awe about the world than that MUD. I spent hours just wandering around the northern ice continent where the minotaurs were reading room descriptions. It's nostalgic just thinking back to that time.

Then Everquest came out and the population took a huge hit because it was a "mud with graphics." Oh well, it was so fun while it lasted.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

BobbyK posted:

The best thing ever though was the damage system had a tiered description based on how much you did so it would show, BobbyK ::OBLITERATES:: the pixie. But if you did maximum damage it would say, BobbyK does UNSPEAKABLE things to the pixie. I don't know why but I always got a kick out of that.

Carrion Fields still does this, it owns

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
Is anyone still playing around on Tsunami? I found it recently (due to the early pages of this thread) and rolled up a Horror Worm and have been having a pretty good time rolling through the newbie areas eating everything in my path.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Frankomatic posted:

Is anyone still playing around on Tsunami? I found it recently (due to the early pages of this thread) and rolled up a Horror Worm and have been having a pretty good time rolling through the newbie areas eating everything in my path.

Yep (Mostly because I run it.) But not a lot of goons the last two weeks. Send Wildcat a tell and I'll get you added to the goon chat channel but it'll probably be you and I. (Hint: more people should play Tsunami.)

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The Monster and Horror races look pretty interesting in Tsunami, but I was unable to create any new characters because it says there is a war going on. Is this a short event?

e: Nevermind, I was able to make an ooze a few minutes later

Vadun fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 5, 2012

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Yep (Mostly because I run it.) But not a lot of goons the last two weeks. Send Wildcat a tell and I'll get you added to the goon chat channel but it'll probably be you and I. (Hint: more people should play Tsunami.)

I'll shoot you a tell the next time I get a chance/see you on. In the middle of a busy work weekend so I probably won't be on again until Monday. I'm sure I'll have some questions by the time I get added in.

Been enjoying figuring out quests, too. Even if I've only done 2 really simple ones (Horror starting quest and murdering Goblins). If swallowing entire rooms full of goblin children and digesting them is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Frankomatic posted:

I'll shoot you a tell the next time I get a chance/see you on. In the middle of a busy work weekend so I probably won't be on again until Monday. I'm sure I'll have some questions by the time I get added in.

Been enjoying figuring out quests, too. Even if I've only done 2 really simple ones (Horror starting quest and murdering Goblins). If swallowing entire rooms full of goblin children and digesting them is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I'm out of town on business this week but feel free to send a tell anyway, the offline tell system means I can just add you when I do see it...

The class newbie quests are pretty basic but flavorfull for the class. And any class can do any other classes quests to learn a bit about the mechanics of said classes. Plus if you do every classes starting quest you get to like level 8 or 9 by the time you're done which is much faster than grinding it.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
Been giving Tsunami a try, Uhhg

Just spent 3 hours banging my head against the native class quest(as a sweet-rear end fungus vampire) only to be cock-blocked by a war.

Getting bounced by a fat stack of blocking illusionists into the previous room(that has since refilled with more blocking illusionists) while my npc partymate fucks off to who knows where. But hey... this whole thing has only happened twice, and each time I try I get a sweet new backpack that can hold 40 more daggers.

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

Reicere posted:

Been giving Tsunami a try, Uhhg

Just spent 3 hours banging my head against the native class quest(as a sweet-rear end fungus vampire) only to be cock-blocked by a war.

Getting bounced by a fat stack of blocking illusionists into the previous room(that has since refilled with more blocking illusionists) while my npc partymate fucks off to who knows where. But hey... this whole thing has only happened twice, and each time I try I get a sweet new backpack that can hold 40 more daggers.

Haha, I've been stuck on a few quests I've tried too. Went to go stop the Orc King from... well, living, but was stymied by the fact that I couldn't do any damage to him at all despite him being a = level mob to me. Not to mention completely decimating everything else that existed in the orc caves with no issues.

Also tried the newbie monster quest but I couldn't figure out what it actually wanted me to do. Got to a point with a lever that I'm too high level to interact with, so I assume that's probably the problem.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I randomly started playing tsunami again a few days ago before it was brought up in this thread again. Goon hive mind in effect it looks like. In as floor or Guy.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I've got sod all to do at work tomorrow so I'll roll up a character on Tsunami and join in as well.

Edit: Someone should repost that list of good starting class combinations someone posted way back when.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 8, 2012

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
Think I'll try https://www.ateraan.com again. My Armageddon ap was approved, but somehow after rereading all the hate, I don't think I wanna go there.

I've got a couple new characters on the one mentioned above, Hassan and Sabbah, A slave and merchant in the north and south respectively.

I'll chime back in after I figure out if its worth a poo poo. It's an 'rpi' and has a very strong playerbase.

[edt] Oh yea, the approving imm at Arm decided I needed another descriptor in my desc without informing me.
Thanks Calavera, now i'm 'taut'.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
New Worlds Ateraan is great if you're A. a married dude in your 40s or 50s that needs a place to troll for younger women to mudsex or B. someone with a lovely marriage that desperately needs to text gently caress blind people. I was a guildmaster on there and it was definitely the low point of my mudding career. Also, it's not an RPI, the admin has spent the last 4 years on TMS trying to redefine the term so it encompasses his horrible game.

This was one of my favorite points when I had a character in the southern militia on an alt:

quote:

Adinas <Militia> pmote cock begins twitching inside your mouth, his breathing
now coming in short gasps as he presses his hand harder
against the back of your head, a few several small droplets
leaving his cock to fall into your mouth. He murmurs quietly
under his breath, "caoimhe...oh Caoimhe, I love you...",

It has a great ratio though if you're looking for MUD love. A guy I have played MUDs with for like 8 years has hooked up with 4 different chicks from there IRL. Great game.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 13, 2012

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
Wow. I had though I heard something about using the term 'rpi' but skimmed over it thinking it was just the nerd royalty bickering over things.

Maybe I should continue looking for a nice place to play. Thanks for the heads up.

Or get my slave freed and start a plot of terrific horror.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Good luck with that. A lot of the players in the south are years ahead of you progression wise. If you didn't start 3-4 years ago you won't ever catch up to some of the more dedicated players on any meaningful level. Another major problem with the game is that if you try and conspire against another player, chances are it's their alt. The game allows multiplaying of two characters at a time but I personally know of people that have at least five characters logged in at any one time and the rule doesn't get enforced for them because they've donated. The game's who list count is super, super deceptive.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

FordPRefectLL posted:

Good luck with that. A lot of the players in the south are years ahead of you progression wise. If you didn't start 3-4 years ago you won't ever catch up to some of the more dedicated players on any meaningful level. Another major problem with the game is that if you try and conspire against another player, chances are it's their alt. The game allows multiplaying of two characters at a time but I personally know of people that have at least five characters logged in at any one time and the rule doesn't get enforced for them because they've donated. The game's who list count is super, super deceptive.

Oh my. Is there permadeath? How many new characters would it take to slaughter an old one? This sounds like wonderful griefing potential; deliver a PC the head of their alt and frame the alt as the ringleader of a conspiracy against them. Log the whole thing and bust the PC for bad roleplay when they snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Oh my. Is there permadeath?

Yes, in fact there is. Which makes me wonder.

How stable and at ease they must all feel in their quiet little mudlove make believe world, where everything always goes exactly according to plan.

I spent the day looking for other servers, but perhaps I'll stick it out there for awhile. I'll go log on and evilly wring my hands in contemplation of chaos.

I don't need stats to gently caress poo poo up.

• Locked thread