Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I like wizard more, and I'd be willing to group up with any of ya'll to wreck poo poo as one. Str/Vit classes seem to level quicker early on since they can hit harder and take more hits, but it looks like Wizards can really tear whole rooms up later.

Right now my wizard can hit for ~30 damage, and my monk can hit for ~70, more if I use Repeating Fist. I can also cast protect on him, tab out, and come back in a minute to a dead NPC.

But yeah I'll be on my wizard Folkar tonight, if we wanna try to hunt crap.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Is power levelling possible? I have a 41 Caller with no gear at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Speaking of Final Fantasy, anyone ever play the MUD Ivalice? I remember it back in the day but I don't remember much about it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/

That beast class that uses gold to power its abilities seems like it has griefing potential.

"That guy just killed me and took my gold."
"Let's kill him and take it back."
"We can't... he ate it."

Would a small group of them destroy the economy?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hello Sailor posted:

That beast class that uses gold to power its abilities seems like it has griefing potential.

"We can't... he ate it."

Oh poo poo. I'd be all over that.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

"We can't... he ate it."

Not really.

Classes are ridiculously well balanced.

Gold is not something you need a lot of, nor do you acquire it easily (EDIT: gold used to be hard to get, not so much now, depends on what you play). Gear also has almost nothing to do with gold. The only thing you really spend money on is buying food. Monster/Horror/dragon subclasses can also donate gold (amount of your choosing) to get xp for. Sliding scale of course, and there's a max for how much you can get this way. Without the gold, aurumvorax is not that strong as a melee subclass. With the gold, they're as strong in combat as a troll (strongest melee class), but that again, by itself has limits. You only increase combat so far. Also many classes have ways to deal with melee strong classes, among ways such as: not being in combat. Most have some kind of 1 round damage skill. Also there's a penalty for whoever leaves combat.

PS: you only drop carried gold, but everyone can deposit at a bank (instantly, no fees), so it's not like people carry the money either.

Also, the quests are hard as poo poo and fun, but not UOSSM secretive. Example: the better mousetrap (low level quest).

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 5, 2010

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I discovered Lost Souls (lostsouls.org) back in about 1994, I played it on and off several times, frequently forgetting to login for sufficiently long periods that my account was deleted and I'd end up grinding back to hero status with some new class.

Last time I played it was before I had kids so it's been at least 6 years, but, it looks like it's still running and being developed. Liberally borrowing and melding features from all over fantasy literature, myth and legend. Might give it a go again sometime...

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Victorkm posted:

Is power levelling possible? I have a 41 Caller with no gear at all.

There's a level range on grouping so I doubt it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

UOSSM seems pretty douchebaggy about the quests and stuff.

What is stopping someone from creating a website or wiki and just spoiling everything?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
Anyone on here playing Aardwolf? Or conversely, anyone know of good MUDs with well-developed quest/task/goal systems? It's pretty fun, but getting some of the tasks you can do depends on either: figuring out which of the 700+ emotes you have to use on the task-giver, or finding 2 out of 3 required quest items and not having any clue where the last can be. ( for gently caress's sake, I'm level 25 and can't finish a level 10 quest because I'm too retarded to find a pixie wing. :saddowns:)

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Mordiceius posted:

UOSSM seems pretty douchebaggy about the quests and stuff.

What is stopping someone from creating a website or wiki and just spoiling everything?

The fact they'd change it just to spite the wiki. Like how a previous poster said they kept moving a vendor, just to keep him 'secret.'

They seem sorta TOO focused on keeping their quests secret, even though it makes the game really insular. Sure it sucks to have your hardwork spoiled, but poo poo, you could just make a flagging system and require they do all the steps in order to do the quest, instead of running up to a dude and saying 'FARTS' and getting the Fart Knight class.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Brimruk posted:

Anyone on here playing Aardwolf? Or conversely, anyone know of good MUDs with well-developed quest/task/goal systems? It's pretty fun, but getting some of the tasks you can do depends on either: figuring out which of the 700+ emotes you have to use on the task-giver, or finding 2 out of 3 required quest items and not having any clue where the last can be. ( for gently caress's sake, I'm level 25 and can't finish a level 10 quest because I'm too retarded to find a pixie wing. :saddowns:)

It was my first major mud, and I really enjoyed it for a while, but the lack of consistent commands for quests made me quit. Also the fact that they blend modern day things with fantasy kind of annoyed me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy, anyone ever play the MUD Ivalice? I remember it back in the day but I don't remember much about it.

Yes, played it many years ago. It was interesting, had the materia magic quest system in it too so you could grind like crazy if you really felt the need to (and you did for relics).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Holy poo poo. I just started playing Aardwolf again. I haven't played it in almost a decade and holy poo poo is this game completely different now. This game while still a generic diku at heart seems to have changed quite a few things now. Their whole goal (quest) system is new as well as minimaps. O.o

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

John Dyne posted:

The fact they'd change it just to spite the wiki. Like how a previous poster said they kept moving a vendor, just to keep him 'secret.'

They seem sorta TOO focused on keeping their quests secret, even though it makes the game really insular. Sure it sucks to have your hardwork spoiled, but poo poo, you could just make a flagging system and require they do all the steps in order to do the quest, instead of running up to a dude and saying 'FARTS' and getting the Fart Knight class.

bingo. It's a crock of poo poo, and it's why the 2 most senior wizards (I was no where near that) quit.

Great idea, great concept, uniquely done, but stupid way to do "Secret stuff". There is lots to do without said "Secret stuff".

Really, the secret stuff is going to get out somehow. Let those who want to earn it do so. All they're doing is ensuring that people are just going to find out over an instant messenger. PS: plenty of times when they'd move something they'd forget to update a quest. So anyone who had done said secret job would still have it, but those who haven't, well, tough poo poo.

I should add, the tsu I was promoting: I just went back and checked it out (it's been 5 years). It's quite active, although it's a complicated mud with a ton of zones among other things.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 3, 2010

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Theres a fun Aber code base MUD out there called Phoenix which has both quest and level based advancement. I've done all 116 quest points worth of quests that were there when I played and while some were sort of obtuse, most were pretty fun to figure out.

The game had 50 levels and reincarnation to new classes and races at level 50, but in order to reincarnate you had to have done a minimum number of quest points which goes up each tier. There are seven or eight classes and each time you reincarnate you can choose a new class and to keep one spell or skill from the prior class which sticks with you.

Gear is one instance of each item IE there is a limited number of foods, armor, weapons, etc in the game and once one person gets an item it never resets as long as they have it, but the game also has a reset system that completely resets the world around once every I think 12 hours or so.

Class skills and spells are quest based. In order to gain access to a new spell or skill you have to do the associated task, but documentation is good enough that you know vaguely where to get everything if not how, so you can look for the stuff in that area till you find it.

Oh, and players are allowed to play 2 characters at once.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

bingo. It's a crock of poo poo, and it's why the 2 most senior wizards (I was no where near that) quit.

I always found it funny that with MUDs dying due to MMOs and other online games, that UOSSMUD is one of the few working to kill itself. Checked it yesterday and there were >10 people online, and when I last played I think there were 30-40 online usually, with militia stuff only happening with 15-20+ members on iirc.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Goddamn Aardwolf is hitting the right spot for me.

I've been playing this game all goddamn day (except for a break to run a raid in WoW).

It has been about 10 years since I played (even though the emote I created for the game is still there) and holy poo poo it is updated as gently caress. I mean, in the end it is still a diku but the changes they have made have all been awesome. The game map and the introduction are great and it seems all areas are custom instead of stock now.

This game is perfectly shallow for me. I want a MUD that I don't have to worry about roleplaying and I can just dip in to get that MUD feel and this is scratching that itch. Plus, at 300+ players it always is busy enough. :)

If anyone hops in, look for Mordiceius. I am playing a dark elf psi mindflayer.

EDIT: One of my favorite parts about it is that they have an in game command to display all the zones in the game and their level range as well as an in game command to give directions to each zone. I don't have to stumble through or constantly ask people where I should be going.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 4, 2010

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

This game is perfectly shallow for me. I want a MUD that I don't have to worry about roleplaying and I can just dip in to get that MUD feel and this is scratching that itch. Plus, at 300+ players it always is busy enough. :)

I think this hits the nail on the head for why I'm greatly enjoying the game too. It's not exactly "babby's first MUD", but it's easy to jump into and has a ton of neat little things going for it that make it simple, yet still challenging. Hell, you don't even need to type commands in fully, as long as you get the first two or three letters of the word you want, the game just takes over, to make sure you don't hurt yourself or something. :downs:

Also, what level are you? Running around and doing campaigns/random goals and tasks is getting a little boring solo, and I'm sure your frail elf needs a giant bodyguard. :black101:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk posted:

Also, what level are you? Running around and doing campaigns/random goals and tasks is getting a little boring solo, and I'm sure your frail elf needs a giant bodyguard. :black101:

I am only level 13 or so right now. I spent a good deal of time this morning just going through the tutorial to be brought up to speed on what is new in the game.

I'm a completionist human being so this first time through I am completing every goal in order.

I considered going supernewbie and then realized I'm not that pathetic.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I am only level 13 or so right now. I spent a good deal of time this morning just going through the tutorial to be brought up to speed on what is new in the game.

I'm a completionist human being so this first time through I am completing every goal in order.

Are there any help sites for the goals? It's getting loving frustrating not being able to finish something because I don't know which of the 21347983142 emotes to use. I'm still loving stuck in level 10 and 15 zones as a level 29. :argh:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk posted:

Are there any help sites for the goals? It's getting loving frustrating not being able to finish something because I don't know which of the 21347983142 emotes to use. I'm still loving stuck in level 10 and 15 zones as a level 29. :argh:

I haven't seen any. Right now I'm just working on the level 5 lost vale one. Slowly making my way through them.

Also, this game would suck without my trusty garbage can.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Never play Materia Magica, being a completionist + trying to get all Marks (accounting for the fact some marks are an A or B so you can't get both on one guy) will result in you punching a hole in your monitor when you accidentally gain a level and realize you've out leveled a mark on the character you've played several hours a day for the last year.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Gold is not something you need a lot of, nor do you acquire it easily.

Argh. Trying out the gnomish battlemech class (juggernaught) and need 500 gold and another level to even get the 'look' command to function more than a third of the time. Assuming that the first visualization upgrade (and prerequisite power plant upgrade) is even what I need.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Brimruk:

quote:

A Trustworthy Trustee exclaims, "So you want to know some history and
survive eh .. why would anyone want to live long here in this hole has me
beat!"
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Let me get my pipe out since this is going to
take a while to explain properly."

You see him load his pipe and take a few puffs forming little rings and amusing himself.

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Oh that's right I was going to speak to you
about this joint."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "In shrouded history so distant that it may be
expressed as Eternity Past, mankind has feared (and therefore hated)
dragonkind. For their part, the dragons have been remarkably patient with
man's misconceptions."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "They even endured periodic purges and
outright wars directed at them. The First Ascent is a 'detention
facility', a prison if you will, where men have detained both dragons and
creatures of every other description that have been accused of
collaborating with dragonkind."

The trustee again puffs on his pipe but this time furrows outline his heavy brow.

A Trustworthy Trustee asks, "I guess I could tell you some of the rumours
doing the rounds. You will hear them sooner or later. You seem to be
hanging on my every word so I can't go and disappoint you now, can I?"

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Perception and reality frequently do not
agree. Many believe that both dragons and those friendly to them are
unjustly imprisoned here."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "There are several stories of other prisons,
less accessible than The First Ascent, but only reachable by obtaining an
elusive Dragon Bridle."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "You shouldn't place absolute faith in
everything you hear while touring the facility, but it's probably wise to
pay close attention, to everything."

[690/690hp 567/569mn 792/862mv 12qt 857tnl] >
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Before being tragically killed in a freakish
juggling accident, one escapee used to broadcast a notion that a specific
sequence of 'dragon emblems' would unlock the way from 'The First Ascent'
to the next prison."

A Trustworthy Trustee chuckles politely.
A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Ok, my humour isn't as good as it used to
be."
The trustee tries to hide another chuckle at his own joke.

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Oh very important...."

A Trustworthy Trustee says, "Sprites have every reason to fear dragons.
They find sprites particularly delicious when stewed, and delight in
pulling their wings off for sport. Sprites are frequently employed by the
prison to exact cruel revenge on dragon kind at every opportunity."

** Task Done : Ask a prison trustee about staying alive in prison.
** Task Added : Punish the dragon collaborators.

A Trustworthy Trustee exclaims, "You might want to speak to Bagger again
since it must have been him that sent you to me to find out about this
place!"
** Task Added : Visit Bagger for more information.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Argh. Trying out the gnomish battlemech class (juggernaught) and need 500 gold and another level to even get the 'look' command to function more than a third of the time. Assuming that the first visualization upgrade (and prerequisite power plant upgrade) is even what I need.

I'll give you 100 or 150k if you want. find me in game. common charname for me = raptor.

as an FYI, juggernaught is very expensive, a lot fun, and a bit difficult. It can be really really strong. something that can AOE is probably a good starter class since it's easier to clear rooms of stuff. monster and non humanoid subclasses are significantly easier to raise as a first char - aka monster, undead, horror, dragon, changeling. Oh, and I should add - it's in red because it's, you know, really freakin hard to have as a first char!

Tips and stuff:
from center of town (press town = free warp there if you ever get lost, likewise with the guild comment).
I suggest an alias/nickname combo.
Example: alias 1 nickname TARG
alias 2-infinite = do/cast/etc (skillname) TARG
not target because anytime you say target it'd replace the nickname.

also, make an alias for "put all in bp" and buy bps. Buy like 4 of em. it'll put things in the bp's until they are full. then make an alias for "sell all from all bp" and it'll sell everything real fast. then you can just run to the bank and deposit. never carry all your cash on you. bps can be bought 3e,s from cot.

n,2e from COT = bard. give him the newbie drink token, press areas, and then ask bard about (specific area). He'll usually give directions. don't be afraid to shout asking for some places to level.

good level 1-4 places to kill (all from cot):
12w,sw,2s,se,2n - cave in there - be sure to consider everything. smaller than you = within 2-5 levels. muppet = 6 levels below. mirror image = within +/- 1 level. bigger than you = 2-3 levels above you.
5w,4n,hole: kill in there - don't go nw and then northeast, the mob in there will aggro and probably kill you until 7 or so. kills in there are easy though. there's a mound you can get to in there with termites, good to kill too.
3e,n,e, dive - waterbabies, kill away. equipment can be nice for starter too. There's an area you go up into undead, they have nice stuff that sells for a lot, but leave no corpses.
where else...hmm, 2e,5s,2e,6s - they call this "small sign". From there I think it's 8w,n,w? There are grubs, earwings etc in there - plenty killable.

remember to raise your combat every level. mandatory. other skills you raise what you please but don't expect to be able to raise them all to the max each level. skills full = your actual skill level (including stats/modifiers).
remember that you drop gear if you don't logout in a lockerroom I think (may have changed since long times ago).

so anytime you're gonna kill a lot of something, you just set target. I'd be sure to turn on ansi colors (help color, help ansi), hp on, start aliasing a lot. ask for help! people in chat and newbie are helpful.

yes, for other readers, this game is this complicated just to get started. it gets a lot more complicated from there.
however, the uniqueness of classes, weapon messages, etc are numerous. wars and invasions are fun (and great xp), quests are fun and unique.

ps: what is your in game name for your main char? I've been on that mud a long time, so I asked people to help ya get things up to speed.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 5, 2010

cmurphy50
Oct 9, 2009
I got my start in 6th grade on a pretty generic SMAUG MUD called "Dark Forest." I played it for a solid 6+ years, but it has shut down. It was such an influential part of my younger gaming days that when I am not playing a MUD I think about it at least once a week. My problem has always been not being able to find one I liked because I was so spoiled with my first.
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/mudinfo-asura.html

Other than Dark Forest there was only one other MUD I really played hardcore called AVP: Legends. It was a pure PK game that felt to me like I was playing an FPS. It was an incredible game that I would buttonmash in over any graphical FPS. If i ever met someone else who played it I would poo poo a brick. There was a safezone for each race where you would go when you died and you'd have to "deploy" to the combat zones which were actually maps that would change like any game server. I've messaged the owner a few times about it, but he never really responds..
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/mudinfo-avpmud.html

I am currently sinking my time into Aardwolf! Add me to your friends list so I have more reason to play! IGN: Norrad

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

cmurphy50 posted:

I am currently sinking my time into Aardwolf! Add me to your friends list so I have more reason to play! IGN: Norrad

Added. :) If you need in-game help, hit me up. We have a gigantic goon presence in the game(just kidding, it's Mord and I ), and the more the merrier. We're actually going through all of the tasks in order, so if you get stuck, just yell or something. Unless you're already Tier 9 or something and want to shower us with gifts, that's good too. ;)

cmurphy50
Oct 9, 2009
Don't be fooled by my character creation date, it was last year, but I've only played like 2 solid weeks of the game. I'm no noob to MUDding but I am a semi-Aardwolf-noob. I'll be on later tonight!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

cmurphy50 posted:

Don't be fooled by my character creation date, it was last year, but I've only played like 2 solid weeks of the game. I'm no noob to MUDding but I am a semi-Aardwolf-noob. I'll be on later tonight!

Don't know if I'll be on tonight but I have been enjoying the heck out of the game. I even blogged about it: http://mordiceius.com/2010/04/05/full-circle

But yeah, it would be nice to get more Goons in there. It is working great as a casual game for me.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Don't know if I'll be on tonight but I have been enjoying the heck out of the game. I even blogged about it: http://mordiceius.com/2010/04/05/full-circle

But yeah, it would be nice to get more Goons in there. It is working great as a casual game for me.

You wrote about trouble with the admin if you wrote out the goal solutions, do you really think that would be an issue? Because I was considering starting a blog just for that purpose, but if MUD creators are more anal about spoilery stuff, I guess that idea's a bust. :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

want a hard, original and creative mud? Check out this LPmud:

http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/

levels are limited to 19 and then hero levels (which are incrementally harder to get). Essentially skill based system here. I think the highest heroes are like...+10 or so.

there's pvp - you can opt out but that merely allows you to be attacked anyway, very creative and well fleshed out zones, and unique classes with unique skills - it's not just damage, and the skills aren't really repeated with other classes. Thieves can steal poo poo right off of people, and chaosmages have a random ability that typically kills everyone in a room.

I used to play the poo poo out of this as a kid. The pvp is very goon friendly. There are wars every few hours which basically means everyone can pvp the poo poo out of eachother without penalty for xp during the war. Level limits again.

Subclass list -> http://tsunami.thebigwave.net/help.php/subclasses
(you pick a class - basically defines your choice of subclass).

This is a very PK-pvp grief-able mud. However, you can be who off, and then the only way to find you is if they know the character name (and there are ways to hide that). I loved it, but it was hard as hell. This was near crawl difficulty levels for many things.

My name is Wildcat, and I approve of this message.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

When will you be on? I'm only level 10, and in as ambushsabre, but right now it says you're not playing. Eta on that?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

cmurphy50 posted:

Other than Dark Forest there was only one other MUD I really played hardcore called AVP: Legends. It was a pure PK game that felt to me like I was playing an FPS. It was an incredible game that I would buttonmash in over any graphical FPS. If i ever met someone else who played it I would poo poo a brick. There was a safezone for each race where you would go when you died and you'd have to "deploy" to the combat zones which were actually maps that would change like any game server. I've messaged the owner a few times about it, but he never really responds..
http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/mudinfo-avpmud.html

Was that the one that was Alien/Predator/Marines, levels were hard as gently caress to get (pvp gave crap for XP and there were like 10 mobs in game), and you could move the spaceships around to different planets, or was that a different AvP MUD? I'd played one a long time ago but no idea if it was legends. In the one I played I just remembered that at one point I realized the only way to 'play' as a marine was to setup macros to flee and throw a grenade into the previous room to try and kill predator/alien players that way. :(

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

When will you be on? I'm only level 10, and in as ambushsabre, but right now it says you're not playing. Eta on that?

I just logged in (late night of class and Chuck). It says your name doesn't exist.

cmurphy50
Oct 9, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was that the one that was Alien/Predator/Marines, levels were hard as gently caress to get (pvp gave crap for XP and there were like 10 mobs in game), and you could move the spaceships around to different planets, or was that a different AvP MUD? I'd played one a long time ago but no idea if it was legends. In the one I played I just remembered that at one point I realized the only way to 'play' as a marine was to setup macros to flee and throw a grenade into the previous room to try and kill predator/alien players that way. :(

Different AVP mud. This one had no vehicle combat and it was LITERALLY set up like an FPS. Take AVP2 multiplayer and translate it to text. You could hide behind cover to increase your defense, the marines could set up sentries, the aliens hived rooms and set traps could run around in air vents, predators were pretty much giant rear end whoopers. The combat was based in real-time with Action points that replenished at set rate per second, there was no getting locked in combat, you attacked, waited a short delay for your action points to replenish based on the kind of attack (aliens were the fastest, 2 AP claws) then either kept running or stayed to attack again running the risk of being hit right back. The level cap was 20.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

I just logged in (late night of class and Chuck). It says your name doesn't exist.

Whoops, totally forgot my name was actually Arex, sorry bout' that. I'll be on later tonight.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cmurphy50 posted:

Different AVP mud. This one had no vehicle combat and it was LITERALLY set up like an FPS. Take AVP2 multiplayer and translate it to text. You could hide behind cover to increase your defense, the marines could set up sentries, the aliens hived rooms and set traps could run around in air vents, predators were pretty much giant rear end whoopers. The combat was based in real-time with Action points that replenished at set rate per second, there was no getting locked in combat, you attacked, waited a short delay for your action points to replenish based on the kind of attack (aliens were the fastest, 2 AP claws) then either kept running or stayed to attack again running the risk of being hit right back. The level cap was 20.

I played that before, and that was kinda fun.

I also remember a normal mud that predator was one of the classes of, where you'd kill stuff and take the skulls and clean them off/make trophies from them, of which to level up/get weapon upgrades/etc. It was some mud where you could have specific damage to each body part/armor part, and could aim to do damage at said body parts yourself too. Forgot the name. It was a smaug mud I think. This was in the category of "muds not fun enough to play"

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 6, 2010

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Yep, I and some real life friends played that game for the better part of a decade (re-rolling and starting over several times). The bad RP events and corrupted GM's really put a damper on my play. I did discover a fun bug as caller once, and I used it to level myself from 1-300 in about 4 hours. (I would summon a pet, disown it, summon another pet to kill original pet). For some reason the original pet would not attack back, but would grant tons and tons of experience when killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I played Gemstone III back in the AOL/Prodigy days. It costs money and to this day is more expensive than most MMOs.

It had the potential for good role play moments but the community itself was pretty cookie cutter. It was a shame because at that time, I was in a large roleplay based guild and we would have flocked to the game if the community had not been like it was. You either talked cutesy or act like a pirate but anything that could be construed as threatening or anything would get you pulled into a GM conference. Sure they'd let you buy horrific barbed weapons scripted to howl with hellish glory, cloaks that emit waves of darkness and cover you in a black haze when pulled close, but if you whisper something ominous at someone from the shadows a GM would put a stop to that nonsense. So the barrier between character and real life was considered really thin.

So our dark roleplay guild never took to it. I played for about a year while we waited for another game to come out. Ultima Online and Everquest were the next games. Good bye role play..lol:)

• Locked thread