Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

notwithoutmyanus posted:

you can do quests for stuff that you aren't, actually. Like the dragon/monster/fighter/mage starting quests. I think the only ones you can't do are babau.
Yeah, you can do some of them, I'm just saying for the ones you can't, are still listed.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think the helpfiles said that? Buy him a drink, press areas, and ask him about an area - either he'll tell you how to get there directly or give you clues.
I don't remember seeing anything like this in a helpfile, must have missed it or not saw the right help.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Meanwhile, most people who play muds aren't brand new. They somehow were still retarded.
:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

gibbed posted:

I've actually played MUDs on and off for something silly like 15 years now so it's nothing too new to me. :) I've only actually played about a few hours on Tsunami.

My biggest complaint with Tsunami is the quest system, the quest list is nice but there are no real controls to filter the list (eg: I want only level # to # quests listed), and in general, there are no specific directions to the start of the quests. (Example: I have no idea where ChaosRock is, and without a real map, I have no interest in explicitly looking for it when the world is this big).

Edit: another problem is the quest list shows quests you can't actually do (such as quests for new <race here that is not your race>).

Quest system in general is on my short list for rewriting, but I'll have it sorted by level now and maybe add an option to only show a few around the level you are.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

gibbed posted:

Yeah, you can do some of them, I'm just saying for the ones you can't, are still listed.
I don't remember seeing anything like this in a helpfile, must have missed it or not saw the right help.
:allears:

Which ones in particular and for which character? Also quest list now sorted by level and no longer breaks formatting after 100 quests *DOH*

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Which ones in particular and for which character? Also quest list now sorted by level and no longer breaks formatting after 100 quests *DOH*
The one quest I can remember is for fey as a horror, "Serve the Mother".

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
goon muds by goons: it's why poo poo gets done

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

goon muds by goons: it's why poo poo gets done

So all of your talk about Tsunami has me, a complete MUD newbie, actually wanting to try it out. I messed around in Discworld for a bit, and then Aardwolf with Mord, but the goals system turned me off, it was kind of rear end-backwards and plus the MUD didn't really focus on text, more running around and grinding. So my question is, do you think I could survive in Tsunami, or should I try out more newbie-friendly MUDs first? I've been getting into roguelikes for the past year and a half, so challenging games aren't really a turn off, but MUDs obviously work differently, so I turn to the opinion of someone more experienced. :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brimruk posted:

So all of your talk about Tsunami has me, a complete MUD newbie, actually wanting to try it out. I messed around in Discworld for a bit, and then Aardwolf with Mord, but the goals system turned me off, it was kind of rear end-backwards and plus the MUD didn't really focus on text, more running around and grinding. So my question is, do you think I could survive in Tsunami, or should I try out more newbie-friendly MUDs first? I've been getting into roguelikes for the past year and a half, so challenging games aren't really a turn off, but MUDs obviously work differently, so I turn to the opinion of someone more experienced. :)

Don't be a pansy, just try it.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

nucleicmaxid posted:

Don't be a pansy, just try it.

I'm in and...oh god, it's horrible so much to learn and :gonk:, but not really. I've done more reading than I have all semester at school, but it's looking to be a fun experience.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Brimruk posted:

I'm in and...oh god, it's horrible so much to learn and :gonk:, but not really. I've done more reading than I have all semester at school, but it's looking to be a fun experience.

what is your in game character name (at least one of em)? we'll help ya out, yo.

when in, just see who's on the goon channel and ask an admin for an invite. that goes for any goons that want to try it :)

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

what is your in game character name (at least one of em)? we'll help ya out, yo.

when in, just see who's on the goon channel and ask an admin for an invite. that goes for any goons that want to try it :)

It's Brimruk, and I went ahead with a suggestion of yours and started a wyvern. It's not bad, but I think I distributed skill points incorrectly or something, because the areas you suggested for 1-4 kind of kicked my rear end. :negative: But I'll probably be on in three hours or so, so thanks. :)

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Seems like about every 2 years I get the urge to script MajorMUD again for a while.. Yay VMware.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

The only MUDs I've ever played are MajorMUDs (and you don't even really play those) and Realms of Despair, a smaug based MUD. I realized I could play it while I was at work a few weeks ago, and it's been non stop since then. It pretty much always has over 150 people online, a helpful playerbase, and a ton of areas. I'm still pretty new, but if you want 50k for seed money (to buy bags/50 healing pots) send a tell to "Thasos", and keep doing it until I respond or I won't have gotten it.

Website posted:

The Realms of Despair is the original SMAUG MUD and is FREE to play. We have an active Roleplaying community, an active player-killing (deadly) community, and a very active peaceful community. Players can choose from 13 classes (including one deadly-only class) and 13 races. Character appearances are customizable on creation and we have a vast collection of equipment that is level, gender, class, race and alignment specific.

We boast well over 150 original, exclusive areas, with a total of over 20,000 rooms. Mob killing, or "running" is one of our most popular activities, with monster difficulties varying from easy one-player kills to difficult group kills.

We have three deadly-only Clans, twelve peaceful-only Guilds, eight Orders, many player created sects, and fourteen Role-playing Nations that players can join to interact more closely with other players. We have two mortal councils that actively work toward helping players: The Symposium hears ideas for changes, and the Newbie Council assists new players. Our team of Immortals are always willing to answer questions and to help out however necessary.

Wiki: http://rodpedia.poromenos.org/wiki/
Server: realmsofdespair.com:4000

Rabbi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 1, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Brimruk posted:

It's Brimruk, and I went ahead with a suggestion of yours and started a wyvern. It's not bad, but I think I distributed skill points incorrectly or something, because the areas you suggested for 1-4 kind of kicked my rear end. :negative: But I'll probably be on in three hours or so, so thanks. :)

did you raise sting/combat/toughness/armour/weaponry/attacking/catalyze/regen?

and basically sting like crazy?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

did you raise sting/combat/toughness/armour/weaponry/attacking/catalyze/regen?

and basically sting like crazy?

Yeah, I futzed around in the fungus cave, did two or three quests, so now I'm a lean, mean, stinging, envenoming corpse-eating machine. :c00l: Two quick questions though:

- Quests reset upon logout unless you've completed them, correct? I think I started the fungi cow one, killed a few, logged in and out, and my counter was at zero. If they do, that's great because I think I hosed up the cleric one. :(

- Should I be raising strength to help out my melee skills and carry weight? I checked the wyvern stat distribution and it's focused on dexterity and constitution so I guess it's planned to be played as a sort of dragon ranger? I know that it's all up to me and whatnot, but something tells me strength will be nice to have when I'm out of SP or just to break up the tedium of envenom > do sting 4353x.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Brimruk posted:

Yeah, I futzed around in the fungus cave, did two or three quests, so now I'm a lean, mean, stinging, envenoming corpse-eating machine. :c00l: Two quick questions though:

- Quests reset upon logout unless you've completed them, correct? I think I started the fungi cow one, killed a few, logged in and out, and my counter was at zero. If they do, that's great because I think I hosed up the cleric one. :(

- Should I be raising strength to help out my melee skills and carry weight? I checked the wyvern stat distribution and it's focused on dexterity and constitution so I guess it's planned to be played as a sort of dragon ranger? I know that it's all up to me and whatnot, but something tells me strength will be nice to have when I'm out of SP or just to break up the tedium of envenom > do sting 4353x.

you are correct on quests. Logout = reset. So that means an area might have to respawn before you can finish. Kill quest bonuses = xp and gold and quest xp % bonus.

As far as stats, what that means is if it says it is X stat and Y stat, then 2 of either stat = 1 skill bonus (that's where the skills full number is coming from when you type skills).

That applies to combat and a number of skills. So yes, there is a point where it might be cheaper to raise str by 2 than raise combat by 1.

Str also = 1 carry, and int = 1 sp and con = 1 hp. However, you can raise HP by itself too.

BP's help with carry. Ask capybara about bps. Basically buy em, and then "put all in bp" can be one alias and another can be "sell all from all bp" which will sell from all of them, so you can run to the bank and deposit quickly.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

you are correct on quests. Logout = reset. So that means an area might have to respawn before you can finish. Kill quest bonuses = xp and gold and quest xp % bonus.

As far as stats, what that means is if it says it is X stat and Y stat, then 2 of either stat = 1 skill bonus (that's where the skills full number is coming from when you type skills).

That applies to combat and a number of skills. So yes, there is a point where it might be cheaper to raise str by 2 than raise combat by 1.

Str also = 1 carry, and int = 1 sp and con = 1 hp. However, you can raise HP by itself too.

BP's help with carry. Ask capybara about bps. Basically buy em, and then "put all in bp" can be one alias and another can be "sell all from all bp" which will sell from all of them, so you can run to the bank and deposit quickly.

There's also a few meta skills like singing, magic, religion, one point of magic will in effect raise every spell by 1. (IE: anything you see when typing 'spells') Singing for songs, Religion for prayers.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Suprised nobody had mentioned BatMUD yet. I played it on and off for a long time, and it was quite brilliant. Lots of classes, lots of races, pretty decent playerbase, and almost everyone is a Finnish rear end in a top hat. In a good way.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

DeepSpaceBeans posted:

encouraged and very lightly enforced. Most of the time, especially if you are new they will just say something along the lines of "What is this ee-lek-tri-city you speak of?"
Though DragonRealms has "The Fallen" instance, and GemStone will be getting a new instance called "Shattered." They're a lot more open on what is permitted. (And no GM monitoring unlike the Prime/Platinum instances).

quote:

Both Gemstone and Dragonrealms are maintained by a small company called Simutronics and they are a dying breed of commercial muds which run on a subscription model, much like the commercial MMOs today.
DR and GS (and to a lesser extent the other games they have) just serve to provide funds so Simu can develop HeroEngine (the new Star Wars MMO will be using this.)

Sorus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 2, 2010

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Does anyone know of a really heavily populated MUD? RoD is the most populated one I've found with over 150 players on at all times. Any ones that have like 250+ on at all times?

cmurphy50
Oct 9, 2009

Rabbi posted:

Does anyone know of a really heavily populated MUD? RoD is the most populated one I've found with over 150 players on at all times. Any ones that have like 250+ on at all times?

Aardwolf was always a pretty big one

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rabbi posted:

I can remember a single lp/lima mud that had that, but I don't remember the name. One of the classes was a monster class where you would shapeshift and have the abilities of a specific form...level based, of course. That's all I remember. It was pretty big too. 10k+ rooms...was off mudconnector.

I'll look when I get home tonight.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I dunno, I've actually gotten back into Armageddon, which is a unique kind of RPI, permadeath MUD somewhat based on the Dark Sun DnD books (desert world, a different take on the races) and I'm having way, way too much fun.

If any goons are interested in it, my AIM info is in my profile, and I'd love to help walk you through it. It is, however, very much not hack and slash, and more about the role play, for that extra dorky chic.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Are there any free muds that follow the DragonRealms style of combat? ie, you're not just in a room with a mob, you have to advance/retreat within the room. I've never come across it but I can't imagine none of the 1 million muds doesn't have it.

Also, I tried Icesus a day or so ago and it seemed intriguing but the mechanic where you lose all your items without logging at an Inn rather extreme. I can see benefits to it (like travelling large distances and needing to really plan for it) and I see there's a teleport service available but it's pretty annoying when you want to play in short stints.

Also, in Icesus, the levelling system is absolutely byzantine. Like all these games, they have a pretty reasonable help system but, bar none, they are all written by people who know the game inside out and, to them, it sounds simple but coming in cold it makes no sense at all.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Rapacity posted:

Also, I tried Icesus a day or so ago and it seemed intriguing but the mechanic where you lose all your items without logging at an Inn rather extreme. I can see benefits to it (like travelling large distances and needing to really plan for it) and I see there's a teleport service available but it's pretty annoying when you want to play in short stints.

Also, in Icesus, the levelling system is absolutely byzantine. Like all these games, they have a pretty reasonable help system but, bar none, they are all written by people who know the game inside out and, to them, it sounds simple but coming in cold it makes no sense at all.

I play Icesus every once in a while and pretty much agree with you, but I've mucked around with it enough that I might be able to assist you with specific questions. Looking around in the new players section of the forums can be useful for figuring out class/guild progression, plus the playerbase is generally friendly. There's also a world map on the website that I find extremely helpful, especially given my penchant for wandering around at low levels and dying in strange corners of the map.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I just created a Wu-Jen tonight on Tsunami (character name: Kanin), which I am pretty sure I hosed up with. I immediately bought Spirit level 1 since it had a whole bunch of spells, then I bought Mage Sword and Identify... then learned that Mage Sword kind of sucks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kaninrail posted:

I just created a Wu-Jen tonight on Tsunami (character name: Kanin), which I am pretty sure I hosed up with. I immediately bought Spirit level 1 since it had a whole bunch of spells, then I bought Mage Sword and Identify... then learned that Mage Sword kind of sucks.

Wu-Jen really need a system to respend points... One of my long term projects is to easily let all of the subs that have a custom point system respec them as well. Hell for all I know Wu-Jen have it and it's just really well hidden...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

as I have said more than once. first char -> make a non-humanoid only. That means: subclasses for these guilds: fey, horror, undead, monster, dragon. no mage, no fighter, no thief.

wujen are loving complicated. they can be done well, but need some prep to even make one really.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
So I just tried out tsunami. I haven't played a MUD in about a decade, its kind confusing! I'm playing a fire drake, name is conway.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

I'm liking Tsunami a lot so far. You're right about wu-jen being pretty complex, but it seems fun so far. I remade my char last night and leveled up to 5 (thanks for the 2 levels, War!) and am currently bumming around trying to figure out what to do next.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Stregone posted:

So I just tried out tsunami. I haven't played a MUD in about a decade, its kind confusing! I'm playing a fire drake, name is conway.

help newplayer, help alias, help exp - all of these will help.

also help for skills, spells, etc as I mentioned above.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

help newplayer, help alias, help exp - all of these will help.

also help for skills, spells, etc as I mentioned above.

Help defaults as well or actually just type it. I keep meaning to make it auto on creating a new character...

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Giving it a shot, currently a level 6 mummy named Sintor. I have either spent the wrong skillpoints or something odd but I can't seem to do the level 6 area unless I'm blessed, in which case I can kill areas a lot higher than that.

Nerolus
Mar 12, 2010

"He smells like roast chicken, looks like burnt meatloaf."
Also on Tsunami. Super-noobed, still figuring stuff out.

Undead>Human>Vampire

EDIT: forgot to say my character name is Nerolus (HURR DURR).

Nerolus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 11, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sintor posted:

Giving it a shot, currently a level 6 mummy named Sintor. I have either spent the wrong skillpoints or something odd but I can't seem to do the level 6 area unless I'm blessed, in which case I can kill areas a lot higher than that.

it's pretty normal to need buffs eventually.

meanwhile, drat, you leveled pretty fast. fyi folks: do the newbie quests. you can get to level 3-4 ridiculously fast...basically by finishing it.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Ok. Nevermind Wu-Jen. Nevermind Dragons. Nevermind anything else.

This loving game lets you play a motherfucking BEHOLDER. I do not think I can touch anything else again (for a while at least..)

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

Stregone posted:

My short experience with tsunami:
I had a lot of problems starting out as a Worm Horror. I got the quest but it scrolled by to fast for me to catch it all. All I could make out was kill five of something. Went up to the village killed five came back and it's told me that I still hadn't completed my quest. Went back up to the village gathered all the corpses and gave them to the quest giver. Nothing. Did the same thing this time with the left over you get when you ear someone. Nothing. I asked for help in newbie chat and am told to examine my loot. I then spent the next 30 minutes trying to figure out a command. The description tell you to use the command with the <area> argument. I try to use the command on every thing I see. The room name. The random things in the room such as wells and a flower bed. Usually when something is encapsulated in "<>"s it means that you replace that word. Not in this case. you just have to type area as the argument. That's it. Talk about frustrating. I did manage to find a hidden item and finally get the quest done which leveled me. I leave the starting area thinking that I'm done so I go ahead and try to kill the first thing I see which totally destroys me. I spent another 30 minutes figuring out what to do and finally find out that I needed to type temple to be teleported to a temple for reincarnation leaving me stranded in a town with no clue what to do next.

I used to play a DBZ mud called Dragon Ball: Infinity. Lot's of fun and very colorful. Cool quests to do for abilities like getting instant transmition (waypoint teleporting). Had a lot of events going on all the time. Just remembering and talking about it makes me want to start up again. If you want to check it out telnet to: dbinfinity.bounceme.net port: 4000

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 11, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
tsu isn't an easy mud. people have a hard time getting used to their unique syntaxes, and commands, and everything. Once you figure it out, leveling is pretty easy, and wars/invasions/pvp are a shitload of fun. Also being able to swap characters without having to disconnect (thus, instantly) is a very nice and quiite recent boon.

As far as issues with syntax, that's typically what happens when a mud is, you know, made from scratch and not a diku mud. Meanwhile, I'm not surprised. For every 3 or so goons, we get 1 who is abysmally retarded and 1 who just can't wrap their head around tsunami, and 1 who gets it. There's no reason the first two groups can't become the third, but they usually just give up quite quick. Wah it's not a diku mud I can't figure it out at all I can't look at help newplayer I quit. etc. I can't stress enough that this is a very very heavily custom mud. You're going to have rid a bit of helpfiles to get started. Think of UOSSM. It was confusing enough you couldn't just "jump in", and this is quite the same. PS: Since hughlander (wildcat) owns the mud, when poo poo breaks or you can't figure something out, tell the man. in game: tell wildcat I don't get this poo poo.

Well, gee, he gets a message and can reply then, even if he's not showing as online he still gets notified.

The ones who get it are like goddamn this is the poo poo. Yes, you gotta read carefully sometimes as well to figure it out. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be praising this mud at all if it wasn't a: active and b: good. I've played probably 3/4 of the muds on mudconnector for at least a month, and this was one of the few that stuck. Trust me, my group of core friends and I were hunting a good mud to play for a long time (my friend is deaf and this was back in the dialup days, so muds basically were all we had).

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 11, 2010

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
agh, doublepost.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Realms of Despair posted:

You vault through the air hoping to catch Life off guard, but miss and roll right by it.
Poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Is there an area thats really easy? I'm level 3 and the chess board is just a little too difficult. I can only manage to kill a couple pawns before I need to wait around and heal.

• Locked thread