Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just came across this duo called Dance With the Dead and they instantly became my new favourite thing in synthwave. I do like the genre overall but a lot of it does really blend together just repeating the same tropes.

What these guys do differently is that their songs aren't purly based on the synths, but also some sweet electric guitar backing and leads, so it's kinda like 2/3 synthwave and 1/3 80s butt rock. Or maybe 3/4 and 1/4. It varies from track to track. But anyways, it's a fun mix and most importantly this stuff is catchy as all loving get-out.

I've been hopelessly hooked on their album Near Dark for a couple days now. Their other stuff is good too - especially their latest one, The Shape - but Near Dark is just, god drat it's so good.

http://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/album/near-dark

This will definitely tide me over while I wait for the upcoming Perturbator album, and then some.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Feb 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cyril Sneer posted:

As someone who thinks the vast majority of synthwave is hot garbage, I'll give that you these guys do seem to bring a unique edge to the genre.
Yeah I mean, I've heard other synthwave artists use some electric guitars occasionally, but I feel like DWTD do it differently. It sounds like the guitar and synths actually support eachother and the songs are actually built around that, instead of just having some throwaway solos somewhere. And overall it feels more like they have actual distinct songs, instead of just meandering aimlessly from one synth line to the next. For example, this song from their latest album is basically just straight-up pop rock that's just disguising as synthwave.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 4, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Martytoof posted:

The synthwave bug has me pretty bad right now. Aside from Com Truise, Mitch Murder, Dance with the Dead, what else can I look into?

e: Oh look, there was a synthwave discussion on this very page and I didn't bother to scroll up.

Synthwave is absolute 80s cheese to me and I love it even if it can get repetitive. I still like it more than dubstep
Perturbator's last two or three albums are really solid. Dangerous Days was what originally sold the whole synthwave thing to me.
Dan Terminus is pretty good.
Lost Years for something a bit more chill and very quintessentially 80s sounding.

It's an endless rabbit hole, really. Just dig around in the NewRetroWave channel on Youtube, there's more stuff there than you can ever hope to listen to. :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

The Midnight - Endless Summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVpFnv9RyIE

How is no one talking about this album? I've looked all over the internet, and the only vague reference to it, despite it being out for a decent amount of time, is a review in a German Magazine.

This is definitely my synthwave album of the year, and these guys (The Midnight) are loving amazing at what they do. It's not hardcore thrashing synthwave like say Dan Terminus or Perturbator, but it has NON-poo poo VOCALS and SAXOPHONE SOLOS.
More upbeat, "sunny" sounding synthwave is good on an idea level and something I'd like for variation every now and then, but this just gets too saccharine for me. I blame the vocal style, mostly. The music itself is nice, but combined with the cheesy vocals it's just a bit too much.

Cyril Sneer posted:

If ever you could call a song beautiful, this would be it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrKNb5uwjxQ

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cyril Sneer posted:

how is this not a completely cheesy female vocal trance track?
Yeah I realize that does make my criticism sound a bit tenuous. :v: All I can say is that Sharon's voice just comes across differently to me, more... I dunno, genuine? I don't get the sickly saccharine feeling from it that The Midnight's vocals give me.

Josh Lyman posted:

I love Armin but I wouldn't call that a beautiful song.
:shrug: Different strokes for different people. I find the melodies in it beautiful. Though mostly it's her voice that does it for me.

I admit I'm a bit of a fanboy of Sharon den Adel so I might just be biased here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
My fellow synthwave dweebs, Dance With The Dead released a new song and It Is Very Good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv1FyQn2kQA

I fully admit I am a complete filthy casual when it comes to electronic music, but god drat I love me some catchy melodic stuff like this.