Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Fors Yard posted:

Listening to the original, when did Lil Jon go house?
He's been house as hell forever. http://eastvandisco.blogspot.com/2009/11/felix-da-housecat-x-lil-jon.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Muttonchop posted:

http://theelectrowars.com/

though not out yet.

aaaaaaaahahah no way. excellent name.

e: ahahahahahaha qbert beign all "uhhhh, what the hell is this, this isn't electro"

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 16, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

holy poo poo, is the whole Adult Swim thing like this, because this track is loving horrible. it's pretty much the definition of "Not getting it".

"hey guys, lets just throw it all in a stand up mixer and hope it comes out ok!"

I don't know, it kinda sounds like it could be on any of those dev79 street bass anthems albums to me.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Boywunda posted:

Oh god I hope so....I still regularly listen to his Essential mix....plus him and Dave Spoon's Ghost Train (lee mortimer mix) is probably still my fav track. It's got everything that I love about "electro" music compact nicely into approx 6 minutes.

When you get a second, go back and check out how many classics Zinc has made. That dude is an inspiration.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LE0N posted:

*more L-vis 1990 ep's
people should be pumped about night slugz in general. they're really hitting their stride now. l-vis is great, but those dudes have got a BUNCH of great stuff.

i'm going to london next weekend, i get to see mosca :cool: http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?136223

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This is probably a stupid question...but does anyone still make old "Bigbeat" type music like old prodigy/chemical brothers?

:(
Prodigy just came out with a new album not too long ago (I didn't hear it, I don't know if its bigbeat) but I bet if you started listening to drum and bass, you'd like it :)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

ahahaha you're kidding right? that South Rakkas tape is loving awesome.

Forget it, bredrin. It's Chinatown.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I can almost forgive him for not knowing what the term "electro" means. But he also doesn't know the term "dancehall" so, again, it may be a lost cause.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

I didn't know that electro had been changed to meaning "rapping and yelling over chip tunes and sound effects" but ok.
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT ELECTRO USED TO MEAN!

It's not about you not liking a mix, it's about you hating it for the most lame, uninformed reasons. I'm no South Rakkas stan at all, but you can't just say that kinda poo poo about electro. It makes you a newjack gently caress.

You have to be trolling. That's like "I didn't know techno used to be so spooky" or that drum and bass utilized breaks. Or that dancehall uses weird electronic sounds. It all speaks to how hilariously unexposed you are to huge genres that have been around for multiple decades.

You can be a carefree candy kid teenager/basement dweller with no cares about history or even having a desire to be exposed to really cool music you're dismissing out of hand. You can go on listening to all the corporate rave electrohouse you want. But you don't have to be so snarky about it. You don't have to be a complete nerd about music to know these basic facts.

I mean, you are fronting on Afrika Bambaataa, dude. Do you have any idea of how sacrilegious that is to anyone who enjoys the music of the last 30 years?

(You also talked about radio rap disparagingly, which is the first sign of being way too goony to be taken seriously.)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I'm sorry I get so angry, it just breaks my heart to see a dude get all defensive and shut himself out from some really excellent music that obviously is a huge inspiration to a lot of people's favorite artists.

Threatis posted:

hey man, didn't you know, This RADIO RAP poo poo has no place with the true UNDERGROUND stuff

*turns on BBC1 at peak time on a friday*

*hears fake blood*

ah yes, the TRUE underground.
The English are like 300% realer than Americans (only like 20% more than Canadians)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

PhonyMcRingRing posted:

What in the gently caress? I didn't write off the whole genre. Jesus, I make a one off remark describing the sound of a mix and now it's being implied that I must think that about every single thing I listen to.
No you said "I didn't know that electro had been changed to meaning 'rapping and yelling over chip tunes and sound effects" but ok.'" which is really funny because Bambatta, a pioneer of electro ADN hiphop, along with others like Egyptian Lover and Mantronix, sound exactly like people rapping on bleep-blorp sounds. That's what I was talking about you dismissing. It wasn't about you not feeling the dancehall sounds of South Rakkas, who really aren't that electro-y but are really big in the hipster house/street bass/mad decent/london scene.

But this is your first time hearing Planet Rock; you've got to get down to brass tacks. It'd be like you saying "oh, I didn't know rock n roll had anything to do with guitars :smug:" and saying you'd never heard Maybellene.

sonicice posted:

Your elitist attitude constantly makes this thread, and the last thread complete garbage to read most of the time.
So what should it be? An RSS feed of discobelle and youtubes, no hating on scrubs?

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 14, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Sorry, I didn't mean to run your thread in to the ground. I love dancehall a lot, and to see it be called radio rap poo poo hurts. And to hear that from a kid who doesn't know what the word "electro" means and only heard Planet Rock for the first time on January 14th, 2010 gets my blood going. For someone to hear a Sebastian track before they've heard the Soul Sonic Force breaks my heart. I'm sorry for acting all superior.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

incoherent posted:

We get 4 hard festivals (police pending) and a coachella a year. We're ok, all things considered.
And, you know, the most vibrant scene outside of New York (u even own San Francisco) but if all you're down for is corporate massives, then you're still are spoiled for choice (way more than just Hard & Coachella).

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

Someone went out of their way to get press and to have people enjoy their song.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

because god-forbid they do it the old-fashioned way, through hard-work! No, it's much better to go ahead and pretend you're another band instead of using that effort to promote their own poo poo. anyone who needs to assume the identity of another loving artist to get publicity is a hack and talent or not shouldn't be recognized positively at all.
We're talking about someone making a Justice-sounding track. Not exactly hard work. Do you listen to a lot of electronic music (I'm guessing not ure a deadmau5 fan)? This isn't that odd. Only in the rockstar world of bloghouse could this be seen as an afront to common decency. Just because you're a teenager with way too much invested in your idols doesn't mean the guy who made that track isn't putting his work in or deserves your ire.

Just because HypeM blew up because of it doesn't mean you have to be so angry. Its exactly the same as kids who put their band mp3s on Napster and said they were Blink 182 for more downloads. It doesn't mean you've got to denounce them and act like this is the ethical transgression of the decade. People got punked; it's very, VERY funny. Nothing more than that

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I mean, you liked that track when you thought it was Justice, but now you're all mad. You shouldn't be mad the dude who made that track betrayed you, you should be angry with yourself for not still liking it. You should be disappointed with yourself for not laughing because a bedroom producer pulled one over on you.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

Is it talented or is it funny? Make up your mind. Also, you listen to dubstep, you don't really have much of a place to talk about my music tastes.

It's both! I mean, jesus christ homie, you make fun of guidios but everything you have ever said, in this thread and the previous one, obviously comes from the mind of worst type of newjack candy kid. You may as well be a desert trance fan with the way you act.

And when you diss dubstep you're dissing nobody but yourself and your limited conception of it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

I still think it's a good track. Which is why I wish the guy would have just taken his own credit for it instead of claimed to be somebody else. I'm not some Justice-fag who is going to lose sleep over the matter, but whether it's techno or alternative or loving Miley Cyrus, I still believe in artistic integrity. If you have a problem with that, sorry.
What are you even going on about?

And why don't you realize no one listens to Myspace tracks, there's a thousand great ones. A way to get noticed in today mediocre, everyone's-a-producer world is to do exactly what this kid did. You gotta reconsider this artistic sanctimony.

Slackerish posted:

Ok, see, you're proving my point. "Newjack candy kid" "desert trance fan." I have no idea what those terms mean, nor do I give a flying gently caress.
That's pretty funny.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

When did this turn into a "dissing people's musical tastes" thread? I think no matter what genre you like, some of you need to listen to a little more minimal techno, maybe it'll calm you down...
Aren't you in LA? How many droid parties have you been to? If its less than 5, I'm not gonna trust your opinion on anything and assume you and Slackerish are the Hot Topic mall punks of electronic music and don't really have anything of worth to offer.

If it's more than 5, lets be bros.

Slackerish posted:

"U LISTEN TO DEADMAU5 SO U DON'T KNOW ELECTRONIC"

Yeah, excellent point.
Ya but the funny thing is you don't realize how silly this is making you look. If you went to the punk/hardcore thread, started gushing about Anti-Flag or Sum 41, kids who have a right to think you're a square, a goober. you'd call them elitists and say they're missing the point, that music is supposed to be fun. But you'd still look like dorks and the real dudes will still be right to laugh.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 27, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

No, see, I do realize, I just don't give a gently caress because I'm talking to a bunch of faceless people over the internet who have no notion that music taste is subjective.

Uhhh, no one's saying you don't like that music. Just that your taste, while not measured against some objective standard, can still be called comparatively childish and unexposed to cool things. If I ask you to name your five favorite raps and 2 are from eminem, 2 from snoop and 1 from dr dre, I'm gonna say that you're unexposed. A neophyte!

Like MOCA doesn't just hire any old gallerist because looking at a painting is totally subjective.

Furnace posted:

It's just like with Tiesto fans in the first half of 2000s.
Ya, exact same idea. Just calling someone a Tiesto fan used to be a pretty cold diss.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Slackerish posted:

MUSIC TASTE IS SUBJECTIVE. AS IN, SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, I CAN LIKE DEADMAU5 AND ALSO LIKE DIPLO AND A-TRAK AND ALL THE OTHER BLOGHOUSE ARTISTS YOU GUYS SPLOOGE OVER. AND I DO! WOW!
I've got a philosophy degree, you do not want to get in to this argument with me. You can have pedestrian tastes, that's all good, it just won't make you into a good DJ or a good record nerd. That's great, that's not for everyone. You can take your dime-a-dozen attitudes with you through all your life. But you could also recognize game.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

Stop, just stop, you're spamming up the thread and coming across as a major jackass

That was a serious question though, my dude. How many Droid parties have you been to? Because if it's none and you like minimal, you have to go out and see the best crew in America.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

NONE I'VE BEEN TO NONE NOW PLEASE JUDGE ME BECAUSE YOU'VE PROVEN YOUR OPINION TO BE GOLD
I'm sorry, I truly was trying to help with that obvious namedrop. They bring out absolute techno legends and keep it really underground. Acid Circus and Drum Cell are them. They just did the NAMM afterparty. You should check it out. http://www.droidbehavior.com/

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

So wait, you suddenly dropped your aggro attitude, and you're gonna be nice now?

Alright, whatever. I'll check out your link. Thanks.

Lol I was just trying to style on some kids. I'm always just trying to get kids turned on to some cool poo poo. I still think you're lame for name-dropping minimal but not knowing that the hottest crew was right under your nose.

Not to say that there aren't certain attitudes that should be hated (ie "i'm just having fun" strive for excellence in everything you do)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

JimmyJazz posted:

"aoki and the beetroots go hardcore punk" wow what an awful idea that was

6541 Sabado, where I did all of my growing up, is right across the street from where aoki did his hardcore punk thing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mezzir posted:

http://www.gottadancedirty.com/ as well, liked them even before a track or two I've been involved with got posted on there :3
ahaha, no way. I know those kids

quote:

And yeah, as a general question to the djs who post here, where do you get your tracks for the most part? Cause thats the one thing I truly am clueless on, how to promote my poo poo and get it into the hands of djs. For instance, poo poo i'm working on at the moment (http://www.tindeck.com/listen/hocz) if I wanted to get people to notice this, how the hell would I do that so you all would pick up on that, just get it on these blogs?
Ya, it's hard to generate that initial buzz before people recognize your name. Nowadays, it really is that, just grinding, sending your mp3s to a bunch of blogs. Once you're recognizable enough, a digital-releases-only label will probably ask for some tracks and they can start doing that legwork for you. Then after some time with that, you'll start pressing poo poo to wax. You've got the tracks and the talent and the work ethic to do it, you just gotta keep grinding.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 9, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

toadee posted:

perhaps I'm just some stodgy old purist, but this doesn't sound like electro at all to me.

LOL I have this fight every week. There's a real electro thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3263094

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

incoherent posted:

I don't care if this isn't house. We've discussed Janet Jacksons album and this is worth mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm4q9NCBVkY

That song's getting a bunch of play on the dance music station here. I absolutely loathe it. It sounds like every other dime a dozen, no name EDM/WMC/shiny shirt lame diva track. But its freakin Kelis! Such squandered potential.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

or you know, Armin Van Heldens entire loving career.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=50xZQy7L9FI loool this one always makes me smile ear to ear. that is the perfect attitude.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Mr Viper posted:

I just realized this hasn't been posted:

The Chemical Brothers - Swoon

God dammit I love The Chemical Brothers

drat that's a pretty beautiful lead

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Furnace posted:

edc looks like a bunch of people I would cross the street to avoid.

LOL you think you've been to a massive, but you have no idea.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dono posted:

:frogout: No really.

On a positive note, music festivals (ahem, Ultra, Nocturnal, Electric Zoo) like this are pretty exciting and probably the best excuse to cut loose, dance, and just have an amazing experience :lsd:

Give it a try unless you're the anti-social goon we know you are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LOL ya that isn't possible to have a carefreetime time at a party that costs less than $100 to attend, isn't filled with a bunch of my-first-rave-teenagers not knowing their limits, but still has the same caliber of artists.

Besides, drugs are really easy to bring in and cop at even mid-sized massives, but when they start getting more people than a baseball game, security becomes a totally different thing. So I don't see how dancing around at a multi-million dollar event lets you have the best possible time. But if all you've seen as a Southern Californian are those massives and not really anything else (especially if you're younger than 21 or not clued in to the illegal party scene), I can see how you'd have a skewed perspective.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 17, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Fresh Prince posted:

People can have fun at both massives and smaller concerts. People need to get over their lovely feelings that some type of people at concerts are somehow "inferior". Although there are people that are annoying as gently caress, they came to enjoy the music as much as you did. So people need to get over their feelings and just go have fun at concerts.

That being said, the new A-Trak is sickkkkkk.

I feel you, but you called a party a "concert" and you complimented present-day A-trak... so I don't know what to think!

Of COURSE people can have a good time at EDC. They wouldn't throw it, tens of thousands of people wouldn't come out if the kids there didn't enjoy themselves. But you can't tell me some velvet rope bullshit with a VIP lounge is the epitome of rave-music mentality, or that there's a lot of "we're all one" vibes at a place with a separate room for people who spent more.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Threatis posted:

psssshhhhh present day A-Trak owns Manoli and you know it.
Ahahah, that was just my lame attempt at a burn. I had to drop something caustic! Of COURSE I'm gonna think being a turntable champion of the world is better than being to toast of Hollywood. Of course atrak is a G.

I love electronic music with all my heart, I've had the time of my life at many a massive. Like I still remember this one 4 hour Planet Of The Drums set and I rolled with all the 16 year olds and it was just the best time and I will never forget it. But by the same token, I'd take a 200 person party over a 20,000 person party any day.

quote:

also: we used to get our drugs into WEMF every year by digging out the center of a peanut butter jar, puttin the big ol baggie in the middle and then covering it up. then we would go "oh oops here's a glass jam jar and we're not allowed to have glass and the security dude checking the car would forget about the drug search and just take the jam and be all like "tsk tsk, silly kids".

ahahah did the pills or whatever smell like peanut butter after?

that could potentially be good, cover up the sour-"thizz face" taste.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

LE0N posted:

Because you are at a festival and there are a million other acts on at the same time, dj sets can sometimes be poo poo for a number of reasons.
I saw a Ladytron DJ set at a massive once that was the most atrocious thing I've ever scene. Even the totally decked out scenesters were looking at eachother like "what the gently caress is their problem?"

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2010

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

train wreck after train wreck?

Ya, and that doesn't normally turn me off but it totally did here. They only got the spot because of their famous indie rock name obviously. And just no flow or mood to the set at all, just playing tracks, one after the other, not really djing.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

_jink posted:

a kind of bizarre question I suppose but does anyone know the name of (if it even has a name) the effect at about 1:59 in 4h30? Slipping out of tune? I'm trying to work out why it sounds so nostalgic.
portamento aka glide (where it slides between two notes) or pitch bend (that little knob on the left of a keyboard he's just pushing up and down).

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Lysis posted:

Well, yeah. But I'm pretty sure he meant it to sound like those old theater projectors that would sometimes slip off frame and gently caress up the sound.

ya or a turntable fluttering

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

phractured posted:

Also would getting my friends old MPC be a good way to start making electronic music? Or where does one suggest I start?
An MPC's not a great idea if you wanna make like straight up electronic dance music, you'll just be making life really hard and limited paradigm for yourself. There's a reason it's primarily used for hip hop tracks. A computer program like Live or FL will be way more intuitive and offer a lot more opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

phractured posted:

I actually blame deadmau5 100%

e: for the increase in bros
That would be silly and obviously shortsighted to say. He only really blew up in 2009. Massives for mainstream bros existed before he started playing them.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 10, 2010