Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilshur
Sep 24, 2004
The incidentals

Director: Jonathan Glazer

Starring: Ben Kingsley, Ray Winstone, Ian McShane

Premise: Retired hiester Ray Winstone is called back for one last gig by strongman Ben Kingsley, on behalf of group-leader/organizer Ian McShane.

It's hard to go further into this without really spoiling the numerous treasures of the story. There are a few events that are loving wild and way out left field, but they all tie in together, and the movie is exciting and moves at a good pace.

Ben Kingsley and Ray Winstone glow on screen. Their dialogue is brilliantly written and masterfully delivered.

Pro's: Moves at a good pace, excellent acting, compelling story.
Con's: gets slightly technical, leaps around a little, finishes in an unorthodox manner.

Overall:
4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
Most people I know have seen or at least heard of Snatch and LS&TSB, a few have seen/heard of Layer Cake, but pretty much no one I've met knows about Sexy Beast. In my opinion it's the best, by far, English crime movie in terms of style, dialogue and acting (Layer Cake takes it for the plot).

It is exceedingly weird to see Ben Kingsley completely dominate Ray Winstone with sociopathic aggressiveness, only to be superseded in the last act by Ian McShane. The vast majority of the reviewers of this film point to Kingsley's performance and rightfully so, but Don Logan acts out of insecurity whereas I'd be far more frightened of Teddy Bass in real life. With the possible exceptions of Anton Chigurh and Hannibal Lecter there is no villain that I've seen as coldly logical and ruthless as Teddy. I downloaded the entire run of Deadwood more or less solely because of McShane's fifteen minutes in this film.

Some people may be turned off by the heist playing a small role in the film and being largely inconsequential but it worked for me, given that the focus is on Gal's inner turmoil and Kingsley's explosive turn. Also despite the fact that it doesn't actually do anything, the first time we see the rabbit-thing is one of the creepiest, if not the creepiest moment I've had in regard to films. It's a perfect depiction of the rat-in-a-maze fear Gal is going through, and whenever I sit down and watch this I break out in whole body goosepimples during the semi-iconic shot of it slooowly raising the Uzi.

5/5, my second favorite gangster movie right behind Goodfellas.

"I am going to have to turn this opportunity down."
"No, you are going to have to turn this opportunity yes."