Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoked Salmon
Aug 22, 2003

do not fear
Guys, I'm confused. Okay so I applied for the site without getting an invite--should I go back and do it with one? Oh dear :x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
This project I'm (was) producing has been languishing in purgatory as we were unable to raise the money before the season finished and thus we couldn't shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1xAtA_IV7I
(this was just a screen test the director cut into a teaser.)

It's only a short film but because of an ambitious script the budget clocked in at 10 grand. (35mm and 17 minutes) Does anyone think it has a shot? Also we are Toronto (Canada based) and while Toronto is a listed city with projects, I read that you need a US bank account? Currently we are raising money out of pocket and plan to shoot again in april/may. How soon after the money is pledged does the project have to start? Also how is licensing and ownership handled? With so many financial backers I can imagine it becoming a bit of a mess, or does kickstart have a contract itself that we could be constrained to?

In any case I'd like an invite to explore the possiblity.azrael.moz@gmail.com is my referral email.

Mozzie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 22, 2010

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Smoked Salmon posted:

Guys, I'm confused. Okay so I applied for the site without getting an invite--should I go back and do it with one? Oh dear :x

They allowed my project and I didn't have an invitation. Don't worry about invitations, they're pretty generous with what projects they allow.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Has anyone not gotten an invite yet? I have three to give, so hop on the invite train toot toot.

iwannabebobdylan
Jun 10, 2004

Mirage posted:

Has anyone not gotten an invite yet? I have three to give, so hop on the invite train toot toot.

Hey bro can I come on on your train, and ride it woo woo?

pfking@gmail.com

edit: I WON'T LET YOU DOWN, CONDUCTOR!

iwannabebobdylan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 22, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Mozzie posted:

It's only a short film but because of an ambitious script the budget clocked in at 10 grand. (35mm and 17 minutes) Does anyone think it has a shot? Also we are Toronto (Canada based) and while Toronto is a listed city with projects, I read that you need a US bank account? Currently we are raising money out of pocket and plan to shoot again in april/may. How soon after the money is pledged does the project have to start? Also how is licensing and ownership handled? With so many financial backers I can imagine it becoming a bit of a mess, or does kickstart have a contract itself that we could be constrained to?

You own the rights to the project. People giving you money aren't investors or buying into the project in any way, they are simply giving you money as basically a donation so you can get your project made. The people backing you get stuff in return in the form of the various rewards that you can see on the different pages. What the rewards consist of is completely up to you. As far as a starting time, that's also up to you as well, but I would think people backing you would expect it to start within a reasonable time frame afterward. Part of what you put in the description of the project is a rough ETA (or a specific time, if available) for when the project will be going ahead. For instance, I raised my money in May/June with the project being scheduled for this Fall. I think raising money this Fall/Winter with the intention of shooting in April/May would be just fine, just make sure you say in the description that you plan on shooting in those months. Also, considering how much you want to raise, I might suggest only trying to raise a portion on Kickstarter. Certainly I've seen projects get their funding with higher goals than yours (a friend of mine made his $15,000 plus a bit more some for a doc he's doing), but if know for sure you can get a certain amount of funding elsewhere, it would just be easier to meet your goal with a smaller amount. That being said, I do believe you are still required to have a US bank account, unless that has changed since I last checked.. It should say in the FAQs.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!
I would appreciate an invite. Thanks so much!

tokidoki fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 29, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I can't seem to be able to find my invites anywhere in my profile. Anyone else having this problem?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Once you log in, they should be under the "Me" dropdown at the upper right. And probably other places, but that's the easiest one to find.

Also, I now have one invite remaining. Last call.

tokidoki
Feb 23, 2006

Damn bunnies!

Mirage posted:

Once you log in, they should be under the "Me" dropdown at the upper right. And probably other places, but that's the easiest one to find.

Also, I now have one invite remaining. Last call.

Thank you for my invite!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Does anyone have any idea if the 'you must be american' thing has been changed, or if they plan to change it? Some projects I'd actually need funding for just jutted that closer into being a reality and I have no money.

HiddenCove
Oct 26, 2008
Can someone hook it up with an invite please!?

hiddencove.sa at gmail

This seems like a legit way to help some people see their dreams come true. Its always nice to see the internet being used for stuff like this

-thanks

Andraste
Oct 22, 2005
A group of friends and myself succesfully funded our project, I Scream, You Scream; on Kickstarter earlier this month.

here's our project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/826244280/i-scream-you-scream-0?ref=search.

I plan on using this site and Indiegogo again in the future to fund more projects.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

HiddenCove posted:

Can someone hook it up with an invite please!?
You're got. I'm all out now.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Hello, I've had a couple creative ideas I've wanted to try, and this could be a bit inspiring. Could I get an invite please? y2kleinke AT yahoo
Muchos thanks!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I just submitted my first proposal (aerial photography of LA) after just joining the site. I have a pretty good idea of what I want and wrote I already have pilots and planes ready.

I dunno what they want out of the app...hope I did it right :-/

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 28, 2010

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
So, what's the deal with invites? Are they required or not? If so, I would love to have one. My gmail address is nomosoft at.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Phantom LOLbooth posted:

So, what's the deal with invites? Are they required or not?

Invites are required to post a Kickstarter project, but not to participate in one that's already ongoing. So you can spend money all you want, but to GET money, well, that's the thing.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

^Not true. I didn't have an invite.

guidoanselmi posted:

I just submitted my first proposal (aerial photography of LA) after just joining the site. I have a pretty good idea of what I want and wrote I already have pilots and planes ready.

I dunno what they want out of the app...hope I did it right :-/

My project was approved and now it's online:
http://kck.st/h5Wht4

I'm already passed 10% there's still 89 days to go!

BobMcFartsens
Dec 31, 2005

Sitting on a park bench

Hey guys, i've forgotten to post this till now, but here it goes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wtf/rivertown

8 days left and we're $1,500 away from our $5,000 goal.

Myself and a group of close friends have been making our first feature length movie together. All the filming is done, now we're doing post production and PR stuff. This money is for that. We're going to be buying editing software, paying to get into film festivals, going on a movie release tour, and spending money on posters, dvds, and hopefully even paying our actors.

The little bit that we have edited is looking fantastic, i'm getting so excited to be able to really start editing and getting this movie released.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Congrats on getting your project funded, I sent you a proposition to the email on your kickstarter page, since you don't have PM.

John Blaster
Aug 2, 2006

I can't fall asleep without thinking about killing people.
EDIT:

Our Kickstarter page is up!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2062122651/crazy-murder-feature-film

Check it out if you like violence! And swearing!

It's CRAZY MURDER!

John Blaster fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 25, 2011

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Hey guys. I really need your help.

This is a short film project that we've been working on since last fall. We'll have a trailer up within the week that encompasses the first scene of the film; so if you're still iffy about backing it, stay tuned in. I think you'll really like what we have.

We're not looking for much. $1,500. And we have lots of time left. But I want to spread the word and get people interested. We have a lot of good publicity going for the project and a ton of people have been impressed by what we've done with so little.

Show us some love. We have some really awesome ways of saying thank you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/235558544/the-monument-film-production-project

Also, if you have a facebook. PLEASE spread the link to those that might be interested in offering support. We need all of the publicity we can get.

Fiction D fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2011

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names
Not my project, but something that I think a lot of people around here would find interesting: the Anvil iPhone stand on kickstarter. It's essentially designed to get your phone off the desk and at a decent angle for viewing. The thing I like about it is that it's not limiting on a case width/depth the way the Apple stand is (though I believe there's some limitation on the case material, due to the way the suction works). I think it's a pretty novel idea, I've already thrown my backing in and hopefully they'll be able to meet their production goal.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Wow, that's pretty slick and would look great on my desk. Definitely throwing in the $35 donation. The only thing I'm wondering about is if this has been done before. Either way, I hope it works out because my brain is placing one of those in a specific spot on my desk and I can almost swear it's real because it's so perfect and clean (I'm a little OCD about my work area :shobon:).

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
M for Method, and Children of Sol

What’s this all about?

M for Method is a development group. At the moment we are doing all work on our own time and money. Children of Sol is the property we are working on developing.

So what’s Children of Sol about?

Valentine Obasuyi, M for Method Founder posted:

Essentially, it is a deep, immersive universe set in the distant future featuring complex characters, a compelling narrative and intensely brilliant visual fidelity. The goal of Children of Sol is to provide a story that not only invites viewers to read or watch, but to interact with, decide, and feature within, in a way unique to any other science fiction franchise past and current.

I’m going to need a bit more than that!

Fair enough. To try and put it better, Children of Sol is about humankind 50,000 years in the future, when our race has diverged along two main paths. It picks up when those two paths meet again, and explores the tensions that result. But it’s also about what it means to be human, especially in the face of massive technological and social paradigm shifts, and the conflicts that result.

Feel free to browse the introduction to the universe on the Children of Sol development wiki to get a more detailed explanation.

Fine, fine. So what are you telling us all this for?

Well, Children of Sol is still in development. We have a browser game, called Sojourner, and an art book/short story collection, called War in Hypercolour, both in production, as well as some other things for the future. And we could use some help on them. We would appreciate the assistance of anyone short of an interpretive dancer.

However, before I get any further into who we need, I must say right now that all of this would be pro bono. Everyone currently working on this is essentially doing so in their spare time, and anyone else who is willing to help out would have to do the same. If things work out and we turn a profit, then of course there would be things like retroactive commissions and shares. But, as of right now those cannot be promised and should not be expected. I repeat, this project is pro bono at the moment and will continue to remain so for the foreseeable future.

Now, with that out of the way, I’ll get into who we need and why. Ruby on Rails developers are a big priority at the moment. That’s the language Sojourner runs on. We’re getting the framework on things like database schemas and unit testing down, but there’s still some work to go. If you have proficiency with that, we can find a use for it.

We also need artists. Children of Sol is very big on the visuals, as demonstrated by these bits of art here:

But we’re always looking for other artists to help ease the workload. Character artists would actually be nice at the moment, but we’ll try to find a use for you no matter what you’re good at.

And lastly, we need writers. As of right now there are two writers involved in Children of Sol. One is the founder, the other is me. That’s not really enough people to get a collection of short stories ready, especially since one of us is already doing other stuff in relation to the project. So if you have an interest in writing science fiction, come on over and see if you like what we have.

Anything else?

If you guys have any questions related to the project, I’ll certainly do my best to answer them. I’m excited about this, and am putting a considerable amount of time and effort into it, so I’m more than willing to talk with others about it. If you want to go and check out our development forums, head on over to M for Method. That all being said, thank you for your time.

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
Anyone have an invite left? richardnienhuis@gmail.com

Detective Thompson posted:

Just sent you one. Hopefully no one did already.

Thanks.

ValhallaSmith fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 25, 2011

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

ValhallaSmith posted:

Anyone have an invite left? richardnienhuis@gmail.com

Just sent you one. Hopefully no one did already.

gbotstna
Mar 22, 2011

In 2006, a group of people with no video game making experience attempted to create a steampunk RPG called The Zybourne Clock. The project was announced with great fanfare; promising over 100 hours of content and a flute-related combat system. As people began to mock the early concept art and storyline of the game, the developers became more and more defensive. People were thrown off the project for criticizing it and information about the game became hard to come by. At the same time, members of the Something Awful forum, where the project had initially been heavily promoted, began producing incredibly hilarious fan-art based on the unreleased game. Eventually, the project fell apart. However, it lived on as an internet meme.

This is where we come in. Inspired by The Zybourne Clock, we have completed a short film called Five Aces. Our film features an original story inspired by the internet meme. Five Aces was filmed in the California desert and is nearly complete. Now we need your help to get us over the finish line.

http://www.indiegogo.com/zc

memizex
Apr 8, 2003
Jew
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/louprah/the-demons-rook

Seems this chain has turned into more of a request for an invite, but I have an actual project that I am working Audio and Grip work for. Check it out, we are just now short of $500 away from our goal. We have about 700+ likes to Facebook and have generated moderate amount of response.

The Demons Rook's description can be read about on the kickstarter page, so i'll keep this post short and to the point.

Our goal is an artistic approach toward the classic genre of horror without CGI FX. The makeup, video and music collaboration planned for this movie is going to be amazing.

It looks like we will get our funding, but I just figured I would post it up. Please let us know what you think!

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Thanks

Jabe fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 12, 2012

SydneyRoad
Mar 24, 2011
I'm working on a graphic novel series that needs help funding.

Check it out here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1541857996/reshoot

I'll be taking a look at other goon projects that need funding for sure.

IveMadeSnacks
Feb 6, 2004

mew!!
I didn't make this kickstarter page, but I am apart of the project. Basically, our goal is to take this giant, 26 foot long guitar and set it on fire for a music video (and Viking-esque tribute). Because when something like this comes into your possession, what else can you do with it?

We're doing this whether we reach our goal or not. The kickstarter was made as an afterthought when someone suggested we do this to recoup some of the costs this ridiculous project has racked up. Mostly, I just wanted to share this with you goons because a huge guitar is being set on fire. Who doesn't want to see that? It's either going to be awesome or an incredible shitshow. Either way, it'll be entertaining. Yay bad ideas!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1912859970/a-giant-guitar-on-fire-a-short-film-by-idnoclip

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

A project my friends are working on. Actually, this whole thing was inspired by Something Awful to begin with, so I it's fitting to bring it to your attention. It's a pretty ambitious goal, but I'm hoping they make it. I don't really have any direct involvement with this short, though I might help behind the scenes when it comes time to shoot, but if this does get made and helps get the feature made, then I might have a more substantial role in that film.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/472003381/the-blood-grinder-prequel-a-prequel-to-the-blood-g

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Anyone want to send me an invite?

seantucker858@gmail.com

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I don't think you need an invite to sign up for the site anymore.

tatoBug2
Dec 1, 2004

FOR SERIOUS!!!
Hey Goons, I posted this elsewhere and was promptly put on probation, so here's my second shot:

Hello, my name is Brett and I am a 24 year old independent music distributor/promoter coming to you for help. I am currently planning to produce a limited compilation cassette run of original tracks from over 30 independent artists (a list of whom can be found below) and am currently trying to promote my month-long release campaign. Throughout my time blogging, I have gained large interest in putting out a project like this, and I already have enough submissions to put something out, but have to solidify funding for enough cassettes to a) meet public demand, b) produce for the artists, c) and ship all around the world.

I have launched a Kickstarter for the month of May 2011 in hopes of raising money for the production and shipping of these cassettes all around the world. Costs have been measured out to ensure that each copy sold will yield one additional copy contributed directly to one of the many contributing artists. My calculations require just over 100 cassettes to be sold at $8 each in the remaining days of this month. If this sounds like something you would like to support, feel free to use any of the attached materials, and thank you thank you thank you a million times over because despite how ridiculously awesome this cassette is set to be, it might never happen without your help.

The $1200 goal directly correlates to totals for various production costs and international shipping for 300 cassettes. To be honest, it will likely end up costing me more than that, but at this point I don't care as long as this is successful! But to answer your question, yes a majority of the funds are allotted just for shipping.

I've been running a music blog since 2007 (http://www.dayvanzombear.com) so that's where I generated most of the interest, and I've also gotten help from other publications like Friendship Bracelet, Rose Quartz, No Pain In Pop, and All Everyone United, but I'm hoping that I can find more outlets to get the word out to new people. The way my project is set up, none of the artists will be paying a cent for any of this, each $8 donation will yield one copy for the contributor as well as one additional copy to go to the artist pool.

So with 16 days left at this point, I'm at 42% of funding. This will be running through the rest of May, so by those numbers everything looks good, but I know that keeping up the pace won't be easy.

I feel confident that this project will be a great platform for the contributing artists, but sadly my financial allowances are minimal and the project's success will truly depend on grassroots viral support. For all these reasons and more, I am seeking your endorsement. Below you will find links relevant to the compilation accompanied by some pictures, all of which you can feel free to use if you so choose. Thanks for your time, and feel free to get in touch.

Brett
dayvanzombear@gmail.com
http://www.dztapes.com

kickstarter: http://kck.st/l5ZjXc

previews:
http://soundcloud.com/dayvanzombear/sets/dz01-preview1 [Ken Seeno, Ra Cailum, Golf Swingers, Vacation Dad ft. Yohuna, Blackbird Blackbird]

http://soundcloud.com/dayvanzombear/sets/dz01-preview2 [Geotic, Halls, Galapagos, Teams, Pepepiano]

http://soundcloud.com/dayvanzombear/sets/dz01-preview3/ [Giant Claw, Chris Rehm, Cough Cool, Howse, Osiris Glade]

http://soundcloud.com/dayvanzombear/sets/dz01-preview4/ [Blithe Field, Sleep In, Keep Shelly In Athens, Ormo, Gobble Gobble]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JEZ4XR0B [3.4mb of related images]

artists for DZ01 DYVNZMBR community compilation:

RANGERS / MR. LEG / KEEP SHELLY IN ATHENS / SPACE GHOST / RA CAILUM

KITES SAIL HIGH / WALSH / JEANS WILDER / BLITHE FIELD / GOLF SWINGERS

TEAMS / HALLS / SLEEP IN / GALAPAGOS / CHRIS REHM / OSIRIS GLADE / CO LA

VACATION DAD / BLACKBIRD BLACKBIRD / PEPEPIANO / GIANT CLAW / ARCADE JUNKIES

FOXES IN FICTION / KEN SEENO / GEOTIC / HOWSE / GOBBLE GOBBLE / COUGH COOL / JARED PAOLINI

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Hey y'all. Gigantic-rear end post incoming.

For the past four years, I've been working slowly but obsessively on a very odd project. Bit by bit I’ve dissected Obama’s self-read autobiography into thousands of very short phrases, usually one to ten words or so, and have used these snippets to tell a completely different story than the original. I’ve then set the story to music. Because of the limitations of what’s available in the text, I’m a little limited as to what I can make him say, which is part of what makes the process interesting. Nevertheless, it tells a fairly cohesive (if bizarre) story. The story is called Son Of Strelka, Son Of God. Broadly speaking, it tells the story of an ugly dog-faced demigod who recreates the world after it is destroyed.

I’m now trying to find people to animate or at least illustrate the various chapters of the story. The first two chapters are already being animated, but there are at least seven more to go! If any of you are interested, please let me know. The rough drafts of the first two chapters have been shown at the Alamo Drafthouse’s open screen night, and have been very popular even in their unfinished state – I even won second place last time and got a free movie ticket! If the final product looks good enough and holds together well, I’m actually thinking I’d like to send it to some film festivals.

To be frank, though, I honestly don’t expect this project to ever make a single cent. It’s almost certainly fair use, but that doesn’t mean that there wouldn’t be legal hassles if I tried to sell it. I’m open to the idea, though, and obviously there would be some process by which we’d split any proceeds. Once we get people attached to chapters we can talk about that more if people are interested.

Anyway, here are the chapters and descriptions of what’s happening in them:

Chapter 1: Creation

Our hero’s name is Stanley. Stanley’s father is some sort of creator god proto-man, and fell as a fruit from the first tree. He has horns and is covered in pecan-colored hair. He found the world an empty and desolate place, so he climbed to the top of the tree and began creating animals and plants and whatnot just by speaking their names. He gets really excited about the process, and accidentally creates a monkey in thin air, which promptly plummets to his death. He realizes that he needs to be a little more thoughtful about this process, and finishes by creating many of the beautiful things in the world. Then he disappears.

Here is a moving storyboard for this chapter, which is being animated by a goon who may or may not wish to have their real name connected with their forums name.

Chapter 2: The Golden Age (with found sound by Teresa I.)

This chapter tells of the rise of civilization. At the start there are only uncivilized tribes in the forest, but they begin to desire something more out of life. They move indoors and become increasingly sophisticated. Eventually they build cities and roads, and they become isolated by their own success.
Here is a rough draft of chapter 2, which is also being animated by a goon who may or may not wish to have their real name connected with their forums name.

Chapter 3: Son Of Strelka

Stanley is born. He is the son of the creator from chapter 1 and a human woman, and as such looks freakish. He is covered in yellow hair and has a somewhat dog-like face. Not in some cute furry ^_^ anime way, though, he should look like a disturbing freak of nature. He does not have his father’s horns. With the exception of his mother, the people of his village despise him. They also despise his mother for giving birth to a freak, so they are both forced to leave. They go their separate ways, and Stanley is left to wander the world alone, a freakish orphaned child.

Chapter 4: The Decline

As the chapter starts, we see Stanley wandering the land. Months and years pass, and as Stanley grows up we see the world becoming increasingly violent and nasty. Finally war is declared, and we begin to see tanks and troops marching towards a city in the distance. Eventually we start to see dim gigantic shapes, such as the turtle from chapter 6. Stanley encounters an apocalyptic religious cult made up of children. They recognize him as having some sort of power, and try to get them to join their cause. Stanley demurs, and the children grow angry at him.

Chapter 5: The Fall (with scratchin’ and sound effects by EBA)

As Stanley stands there contemplating the children’s angry faces, the world splits open and blood pours out. A huge winged monster/demon/whatever comes out of the crack in the earth and asks Stanley who he is. Stanley answers, and the monster goes off to generally wreak havoc on the landscape with all of the other demons/monsters/whatevers. poo poo continues to get real, and we see the oceans rise up and flood the landscape. Buildings fall, fire is everywhere. As part of this we see a truly gigantic turtle stomping skyscrapers to the ground and just generally loving things up. As a result of all of this, many of the children are killed and others maimed. Dirty, injured refugees are everywhere. Stanley tries to ask the few remaining children what the hell is going on, but he realizes that they don’t really know much more than he does.

Chapter 6: The Turtle

Stanley goes to space to talk to the turtle seen in chapter 5. The turtle is off-duty now, and is just kinda chilling out at home. He’s wearing a wifebeater and a hat (maybe he’s taken his shell off?), smokes and drinks constantly, and just generally looks like someone’s cranky old grandfather. They sit down by the crocodile pond, which could either be on earth or in space. Maybe some sort of Le Petit Prince thing where he lives on an asteroid with a pond and trees on it?
Anyway, he tells Stanley that he took part in the apocalypse just out of a general love of destruction, and plus he kinda hated America for sending astronauts into his home (space), where all they can do is die and fall back to earth. Stanley realizes that the turtle isn’t going to be able to help him.

Chapter 7: The Buddha <- Doesn’t have music yet, I’m working on it!

Stanley and the turtle (although I may edit him out of this part since he doesn’t do anything) go to meet the Buddha to see if he can restore the world. Buddha is huge, fat, made of bronze, and is stuffed into a suit that is slightly too small for him. He has an office to match. He wears a cross around his neck, oddly enough. His manner is initially something like a used car salesman or overly phony politician, and he tries to make light of the situation. Stanley is not amused, and gets angry. Eventually it becomes clear that Buddha is actually incapable of restoring the world. Stanley is despondent but determined to fix the world somehow.

Chapter 8: Restoration (with found sound by Earwicker)

Stanley remembers his father’s power to create, and starts to wonder whether he has the same ability. He stands in a desolate and empty landscape. Initially he is hesitant to try creating anything for fear that he won’t do it right, but eventually he musters the courage and starts to talk and move slowly. He starts by creating the home he wishes he’d had as a child – a pretty little village by the ocean, surrounded by giant trees, populated by friendly and gentle people. He loves this vision and begins to smile.

He then begins to recite the names of the dead in an attempt to bring them back, and is somewhat surprised to see that it works. As soon as people come back into the world, though, the simplicity of his vision gives way to all of the complexities we associate with modern life – cities, cars, businesses, etc. The world becomes hectic and busy, but he is still pleased with what he has created. As the chapter closes we see that Stanley has started to develop tiny horns like his father’s.

Chapter 9: Son Of God

Stanley stands and watches the world he has created, waiting for his father. His father appears, and is much older and more frail than when we first saw him in chapter 1. His father is proud of him, and they have a short conversation about where Stanley found his faith. Stanley recalls the monkey from chapter 1, and jokingly says that he couldn’t possibly have screwed it up as badly as his father did. His father laughs and agrees. They talk more about who Stanley is and his role in the world, and spend the day together talking and joking. As this happens, Stanley’s horns become more and more pronounced. At the same time, his father begins to age rapidly. Essentially the idea here is to convey that Stanley is taking over his father’s godlike role in the world, and as that happens his father begins to age and fade as his power disappears. He carries his father to bed, and at this point his father is very decrepit. As his final act, his father brings Stanley’s mother back. As Stanley and his mother laugh and embrace, the father crumbles into dust.

Stanley and his mother discuss his role in the world. Mom thinks that he’s still basically living out the story that his father laid out for him, while Stanley thinks that he now has the ability to determine his own destiny. Finally, Stanley lays his head on his mother’s lap and falls asleep. When he wakes up the next morning, the sun is shining and everything is beautiful.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Hey everyone, theater goon here asking for donations for my new play, BOUDIKKA: The Warrior Queen.

For those of you who don't know the story: it's the first century A.D., the Roman Empire is colonizing and taking over Britain, and the Celtic tribes there are getting taxed and oppressed and such. The queen of one of the tribes, Boudicca, is raising her daughters to be queens, and things are going sorta well -- until the Roman authorities decide to tear up their peace treaty, occupy the lands and turn people out of their homes. Boudicca and her daughters resist. Big mistake. Boudicca is flogged and her daughters are gang-raped. Vowing revenge, the queen raises an army and leads a huge rebellion against the Roman occupation.

True story, too. There's going to be war chants, fighting, live drums and flutes, and an electronic soundtrack to boot! It's going up for a limited four-night engagement at the Salvage Vanguard Theater here in Austin, TX.

The goal is $500, but the more money we raise, the better quality costumes we can get, the more we can pay the actors and crew, and the more alcohol we can provide for the audience! Rewards include free tickets, free drinks, props from the show, an autographed poster, and for those who donate $200 or more -- we will literally worship you as a god onstage in front of the audience on closing night!

Dynastocles fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
Howdy gang. My band is raising money on Kickstarter for our new album, just like everyone else.

If you like fun, goofy country music with dirty lyrics about pot, zombies, hermaphrodites, and facial hair, then you'll probably dig our stuff.

Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/holymoly/high-energy-fun-cowpunk-music-holy-molys-new-album

Official website:
https://www.holymolytexas.com

FaceSpace:
https://www.facebook.com/CowpunkHolyMoly

Thanks!

Snowdog79 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 11, 2011