Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Here's my project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/400897954/lions-of-the-north

Lions of the North is a tabletop rpg, so it means you have a book and some dice on the living room table while you drink beer and have a fun evening with your friends.

In short, I started thinking around last december about how bad most TTRPG's are. If you look a bit on the net at what people are designing and publishing, it's mostly just fantasy games, which could all be described as "exactly like Dungeons & Dragons". I don't like derivative stuff in my nerdgames.

So I wanted to break a bit of new ground in the setting design. I decided to set the game in a post-post-apocalyptic 24th century. Initially I called it just post-apocalyptic but a friend of mine insisted I call it post-post. The basic gist is that a comet hit Earth sometime in the early 21st century, then we finished off our civilization with a nuclear exchange. Civilization collapsed and no current states survived for long. Maybe just long enough to bury the dead.

So we got bandits and warlords for a while, until organized society started re-emerging in the Baltic region, which is kind of the center of the game setting. You got a few kingdoms, some republics, a bunch of city-states, merchant republics and so on. And in the 24th century, poo poo starts getting serious, with the emerging states starting to compete for economic power and control of the Baltic.

The setting is inspired to a significant degree by the medieval Baltic region, which was an interesting time. Lots of small nations, pirate brotherhoods, the Hanseatic League and so on. Technology in the game is roughly equivalent to the 18th century, so there's muskets, swords and sailing ships. I was also inspired by folklore, so there's a running theme of weird stuff happening on the fringes of civilization. Magic and unnatural creatures and such.

Another thing was that almost to a fault, the RPG industry is really bad at addressing gender issues. I like to call the game feminist, even. There's a theme of abandoning the past civilization in favor of a new one with new values, so future society is totally gender-integrated. And I've promised to not put any cheesecake art in the book once it's finished. I've also consulted someone who does gender studies research occasionally.

And finally one technical thing why we're asking for so much money. Pretty much every single small-time RPG is badly edited, in need of proofreading and indexing and has utterly crap art. We're trying to do better than that, and that unfortunately costs money.

Be sure to check out the game development blog at http://lionsofthenorth.wordpress.com/ .

tl;dr version: man makes roleplaying game. Man tries to make it a good game, needs money to do so. Game is about post-post-apocalyptic northern Europe. It's got swords in it.

Thank you for reading this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU