Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

ExtraNoise posted:

Have any of you other goons started anything yet? I still have six invites for anyone interested.

It's been awhile since anyone posted in this thread, so I don't know if you've any invites left, or if anyone has one, but if I could get one, I'd certainly appreciate it. Looking to get a few bucks together for a film project later this year. My email is below. Thanks!

astockwell83 at gmail dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

Thompson and olblue - your invites are on their way! Sorry for the delay in seeing this thread!

Just got it today. Thanks very much!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Here is my project in case any of you wonderful people are feeling generous.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817954091/the-worm-stained-black

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

If people are still handing out invites, would someone mind kicking one to hbomberguy at gmail dot com? Thanks very much! The all-or-nothing approach adds a very tense element to the whole process and makes it very hard to resist trying for a goal.

Take a peek in your inbox fine goon.

Edit: Not sure if it's really good form here to post my project a second time, but we're down to six days and only need $270 to meet the goal. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to throw it out there one more time since it's so close to being funded.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/817954091/the-worm-stained-black

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 9, 2010

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I can send you an invite but need your email to do so. Also, I liked the trailer, but you had a lot of clipping going on with the sound, though I'm guessing you'll keep an ear out for that in the final product.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Invite's away, my friend.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Mozzie posted:

It's only a short film but because of an ambitious script the budget clocked in at 10 grand. (35mm and 17 minutes) Does anyone think it has a shot? Also we are Toronto (Canada based) and while Toronto is a listed city with projects, I read that you need a US bank account? Currently we are raising money out of pocket and plan to shoot again in april/may. How soon after the money is pledged does the project have to start? Also how is licensing and ownership handled? With so many financial backers I can imagine it becoming a bit of a mess, or does kickstart have a contract itself that we could be constrained to?

You own the rights to the project. People giving you money aren't investors or buying into the project in any way, they are simply giving you money as basically a donation so you can get your project made. The people backing you get stuff in return in the form of the various rewards that you can see on the different pages. What the rewards consist of is completely up to you. As far as a starting time, that's also up to you as well, but I would think people backing you would expect it to start within a reasonable time frame afterward. Part of what you put in the description of the project is a rough ETA (or a specific time, if available) for when the project will be going ahead. For instance, I raised my money in May/June with the project being scheduled for this Fall. I think raising money this Fall/Winter with the intention of shooting in April/May would be just fine, just make sure you say in the description that you plan on shooting in those months. Also, considering how much you want to raise, I might suggest only trying to raise a portion on Kickstarter. Certainly I've seen projects get their funding with higher goals than yours (a friend of mine made his $15,000 plus a bit more some for a doc he's doing), but if know for sure you can get a certain amount of funding elsewhere, it would just be easier to meet your goal with a smaller amount. That being said, I do believe you are still required to have a US bank account, unless that has changed since I last checked.. It should say in the FAQs.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I can't seem to be able to find my invites anywhere in my profile. Anyone else having this problem?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

ValhallaSmith posted:

Anyone have an invite left? richardnienhuis@gmail.com

Just sent you one. Hopefully no one did already.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

A project my friends are working on. Actually, this whole thing was inspired by Something Awful to begin with, so I it's fitting to bring it to your attention. It's a pretty ambitious goal, but I'm hoping they make it. I don't really have any direct involvement with this short, though I might help behind the scenes when it comes time to shoot, but if this does get made and helps get the feature made, then I might have a more substantial role in that film.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/472003381/the-blood-grinder-prequel-a-prequel-to-the-blood-g

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Not exactly Kickstarter, but others have posted campaigns from similar sites, so I think it's safe to post this in this thread. It's not exactly my project, as I'm only acting in it, but it's a feature film written and directed by a friend/fellow film school graduate. It has a fairly simple premise, that of a small group of friends gathering together for a party. However, these friends are getting older. Some are scared of facing what that means, some aren't even sure what that means. They're in the real world now, out of college for a while and without anything like it to put off the whole growing up thing. And so the film takes a snapshot of these people at a certain point of their lives, revealing how they've dealt with getting older (or chosen to not deal with it). It's mainly dialogue-driven, stays mostly in one location, and builds upon these characters. This idea of aging and its consequences on younger people is something Ryan likes to deal with in his films, and I think it's something most people can get stressed out about.

http://www.indiegogo.com/SOTM

A note about this campaign is that, unlike Kickstarter, IndieGoGo has the option to let you keep anything you raise, so it's not all or nothing. If you do choose to contribute, you will be charged (and I'm not sure, but I think you get charged right away rather than at the end of the funding period, though I don't know that for certain). The money is mainly to supplement what the filmmakers have already put in out of their own pockets, in order to pay for transportation costs, food, lodging if extra housing is necessary, and post-production stuff. Thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Just one last push for the project I posted above. We're down to the last 9 hours, and we've passed the halfway point. It's not an all or nothing fundraiser, so we'll get the money we've already raised. So we're not freaking out because we need to meet the $5000 goal to get the money, however, any little extra bits will only help out the film that much more. So, check it out, and if it appeals to you, throw a few bucks the project's way! We appreciate every donation we get, no matter the amount.

http://www.indiegogo.com/SOTM

Also, here's a link to the blog if you'd like to read a little more about the film.

http://str8tilmorning.wordpress.com/

Feb. 14 and 17 have two shorts from the test weekend we had the second weekend of February. They're rough, since they were meant to test lighting in different situations and camera setups more than anything else. The content also isn't really related to the subject matter of the film, so I wouldn't form any impressions of the movie's content from them, but I think they ended up being pretty funny. As I stated in my last post, I am one of the actors, and I participated in the test weekend (I am in the dude in the Feb. 14 video). I am definitely very excited to film this, especially after the test weekend and this past weekend, when we had a read-through with most of the cast (one actress wasn't available), and I'm not the only one looking forward to getting this filmed. Anyway, thanks to anyone that takes a look and considers donating. And even if you don't, but the film seems interesting to you, keep checking in on the blog to track our progress. We begin shooting the third weekend of March, continuing through to the first or second weekend of April, depending if we need the extra weekend.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

My buddy set up an Indiegogo page for his short film that will be shooting later in the summer. They've got almost $900 so far, and the goal is set at $3000. It is a flexible funding campaign, so they'll get whatever amount they've raised even if the goal isn't met. They aren't offering very many perks, but I think the reason given on the page is pretty acceptable (however, the lowest tier, a $5 pledge, will get you a digital copy of the film, so even if you just want to give a little, you'll still get to see the film, which a lot of campaigns don't do). So, give it a look, and if it interests you, donate a few bucks!

http://www.indiegogo.com/escapefilm?c=home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Howdy folks! So I wrote a short script back in November for my friend Dave because he wanted to shoot a short film that he hadn't written himself. We've done a lot of work in the meantime on preproduction stuff, and now we have launched a fundraising campaign. We have a pretty high goal money-wise, but we want to make this thing the best it could possibly be. It's an all-or-nothing campaign, which means you'd only be charged if we raise our target goal by the end of the time period (30 days). If heavy metal and blood and guts interests you, or you are simply a patron of the arts, and you'd be interested in throwing some money our way, we'd really appreciate it. We have a lofty mountain to summit, and every little bit will help.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/death-metal-music-horror#/